Teresa Taylor (Butthole Surfers/Slacker) in hospice

Celery Man

I used to play in a band in which the drummer was a buddy of Gibby's.  This was back in the '90s when Gibby hosted a weekly show on KNACK. 

We were rehearsing at the ARC one night, and Gibby barged into our rehearsal room.  It had happened before.  He sat and listened for a while, and then I realized he was supposed to be on the air, like an hour before.  

"Hey Gibby aren't you supposed to be on the radio right now?"  

"Oh yeah, I guess so.  See you guys later."

Gibby exited slowly.  Don't know if he ever made it to the station.  That guy marches to his own drummer for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I think Pepper was being played on MTV when I was in 5th grade. I knew the Butthole Surfers for having an awesome name and having that song, didn’t even know they were an Austin group. Later when I was in Austin, I read Our Band Could Be Your Life and the chapter on them sounded like the most incredible thing ever. And so of course I went back and listened past Pepper and watched YouTube clips, what have you. Wish I had been around for that era of Austin.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I used to play in a band in which the drummer was a buddy of Gibby's.  This was back in the '90s when Gibby hosted a weekly show on KNACK. 

We were rehearsing at the ARC one night, and Gibby barged into our rehearsal room.  It had happened before.  He sat and listened for a while, and then I realized he was supposed to be on the air, like an hour before.  

"Hey Gibby aren't you supposed to be on the radio right now?"  

"Oh yeah, I guess so.  See you guys later."

Gibby exited slowly.  Don't know if he ever made it to the station.  That guy marches to his own drummer for sure.

Listening to Al Jorgensen describe how he had to piece together the most musical of gibberish that Gibby laid down for Jesus Built My Hot Rod is pretty epic.

Somewhat related, I had a theory in the mid 90s that Al Jorgensen and Rob Zombie were the same person, but clearly that was incorrect.

• Hook 'Em 1

Listening to Al Jorgensen describe how he had to piece together the most musical of gibberish that Gibby laid down for Jesus Built My Hot Rod is pretty epic.

Somewhat related, I had a theory in the mid 90s that Al Jorgensen and Rob Zombie were the same person, but clearly that was incorrect.

I just saw them both at the same festival but they played at different times so clearly your theory is true.
  • Haha 1

Funny.  I never really identified the Surfers as an Austin band.  I first heard of them when I was in HS playing Hot Klub and Bronco Bowl and assorted similar venues around Dallas.  It was known they were from Texas and Gibby was Mr. Peppermint's kid, but at that time I don't think they had much to do with Austin or any more than any place else in Texas.

Then I promptly mostly forgot about them for the mid 80s until early 90s until Pepper and Electriclarryland.  They'd been around 15 years at that point.

From Wiki, lol.

The band did not begin as Butthole Surfers, although they did have a song of that title, possibly an early version of 1984's "Butthole Surfer". This changed at their first paid concert, when an announcer forgot what the band was called and used the song title for the group's name. They decided to keep the moniker, and have largely been billed as such ever since.[10] Prior to that, Butthole Surfers performed under a different name at every live show. Early aliases included The Dick Clark Five, Nine cm Worm Makes Own Food, The Vodka Family Winstons, Ashtray Babyheads, Ed Asner Is Gay, Fred Astaire's Asshole, The Right to Eat Fred Astaire's Asshole, Zipgun, The Inalienable Right to Eat Fred Astaire's Asshole, and many others.[9][67] In a 1996 Rolling Stone interview, when asked if he could go back and choose a different name for the band, Haynes replied "I would name the band: I'm Going to Shit in Your Mother's Vagina."[68]

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, yoladu said:

Didn’t Al(ien) live in Austin for a couple of years in the late 90s?

Yes. Out in Marble Falls. The drugs in Austin were too much, with his addiction problems at the time, so that's why he moved out to El Paso before going to LA.

On a side note, the first time Al met the Butthole Surfers was when they all stayed at the Holiday Inn in downtown Tulsa while on separate tours.  Gibby invited Al to his room and gave him heroin for the first time. 

Edited by CooterBrown

Al and Gibby used to live at Timothy Leary's house and Timothy Leary would experiment on them with different psychedelics. 

https://dangerousminds.net/comments/al_jourgensen_and_gibby_haynes_were_timothy_learys_psychedelic_guinea_pigs

An acquaintance of mine has been dating Al for a few years now. Our mutual friend went to visit her in LA and Al made them spaghetti.

That's all I got. Sorry to hear about Teresa. I also read King Coffey's tribute on facebook. Huge bummer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Al and Gibby used to live at Timothy Leary's house and Timothy Leary would experiment on them with different psychedelics. 

https://dangerousminds.net/comments/al_jourgensen_and_gibby_haynes_were_timothy_learys_psychedelic_guinea_pigs

An acquaintance of mine has been dating Al for a few years now. Our mutual friend went to visit her in LA and Al made them spaghetti.

That's all I got. Sorry to hear about Teresa. I also read King Coffey's tribute on facebook. Huge bummer. 

from the article..

Is that why Tim kicked you out of his house?
The urine thing wasn’t really my fault. I was like, “Dude, your entire kitchen is white. That screams toilet to me.” There were probably three times I got so drunk in the middle of the night I got up and randomly urinated. It usually involved the color white. I peed on a couple one time, in their bed in the middle of the night. Their room was white.

Edited by yoladu

Oh, one other thing. My good friend owns a movie theater in NYC called the Nitehawk. His staff got him a cameo from Gibby Haynes for his birthday. Most cameos last about 15 seconds. Gibby wandered around new york city rambling on about whatever he was looking at - dead seagulls, bees that made red honey because they were next to a marishino cherry factory, brittany spears, donald trump jr. etc, for 20 minutes. A 20 minute cameo. It was insanity.

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Funny.  I never really identified the Surfers as an Austin band.  I first heard of them when I was in HS playing Hot Klub and Bronco Bowl and assorted similar venues around Dallas.  It was known they were from Texas and Gibby was Mr. Peppermint's kid, but at that time I don't think they had much to do with Austin or any more than any place else in Texas.

Then I promptly mostly forgot about them for the mid 80s until early 90s until Pepper and Electriclarryland.  They'd been around 15 years at that point.

From Wiki, lol.

The band did not begin as Butthole Surfers, although they did have a song of that title, possibly an early version of 1984's "Butthole Surfer". This changed at their first paid concert, when an announcer forgot what the band was called and used the song title for the group's name. They decided to keep the moniker, and have largely been billed as such ever since.[10] Prior to that, Butthole Surfers performed under a different name at every live show. Early aliases included The Dick Clark Five, Nine cm Worm Makes Own Food, The Vodka Family Winstons, Ashtray Babyheads, Ed Asner Is Gay, Fred Astaire's Asshole, The Right to Eat Fred Astaire's Asshole, Zipgun, The Inalienable Right to Eat Fred Astaire's Asshole, and many others.[9][67] In a 1996 Rolling Stone interview, when asked if he could go back and choose a different name for the band, Haynes replied "I would name the band: I'm Going to Shit in Your Mother's Vagina."[68]

They also had a side project - The Jack Officers

21 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Funny.  I never really identified the Surfers as an Austin band.

Austin claiming them would be a stretch from what I know and their wiki. 

Didn't know they had a female drummer but it looks like she wasn't with them for all that long? 

Cool band. Not a great one, but a cool one. 

37 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Austin claiming them would be a stretch from what I know and their wiki. 

Didn't know they had a female drummer but it looks like she wasn't with them for all that long? 

Cool band. Not a great one, but a cool one. 

I'd call them an Austin band, they certainly identified with the city.  

Teresa and King often played together, I didn't really get a good feel for what the arrangement was.

Speaking of Surfers, King is one of the nicest, chillest, most talented dudes around.  He just seems to quietly power thru life.

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Teresa and King often played together, I didn't really get a good feel for what the arrangement was.

Speaking of Surfers, King is one of the nicest, chillest, most talented dudes around.  He just seems to quietly power thru life.

Yeah I guess I'm thinking along the lines of if someone asked you where they're from - it might be a stretch to say "Austin". 

14 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I ❤️ Video is gone gone right? Does the mural still exist on the building on Airport near... Barflys, Omelettry, etc?

1660165454_e695c41c02_c.jpg

No, Lazarus brewery bought or leased the property and even though that wall stood for a good amount of time and looked like they were gonna preserve it like they did to the wall at their 6th st. location, it looks like it maybe couldn't be refurbished or wasn't structurally sound or something. Its all lazarus blue. (actually, i think they didn't preserve the 6th street wall now that i think about it, and had an artist repaint the bob marley that was on it. maybe they'll do that here too)

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

i would agree. I know they were formed in SA, but i always considered them an Austin band. Gibby, Teresa, and King live(d)(s) here. King's record label, Trance Syndicate was based here. Gibby had a radio show here, was a man about town. Further, never got the impression there was much, if any, support for them in San Antonio through the years.

If not an "austin band" then what?

Edited by yoladu

6 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

No, Lazarus brewery bought or leased the property and even though that wall stood for a good amount of time and looked like they were gonna preserve it like they did to the wall at their 6th st. location, it looks like it maybe couldn't be refurbished or wasn't structurally sound or something. Its all lazarus blue. (actually, i think they didn't preserve the 6th street wall now that i think about it, and had an artist repaint the bob marley that was on it. maybe they'll do that here too)

Ah bummer, it’s a cool mural. I guess Lazarus is as alright of a place as any to go in there

7 hours ago, yoladu said:

i would agree. I know they were formed in SA, but i always considered them an Austin band. Gibby, Teresa, and King live(d)(s) here. King's record label, Trance Syndicate was based here. Gibby had a radio show here, was a man about town. Further, never got the impression there was much, if any, support for them in San Antonio through the years.

If not an "austin band" then what?

I had no idea that King Coffey owned Trance Syndicate. They put out some pretty eclectic and amazing records from Texas artists in the 90s - Roky, Bedhead, Sixteen Deluxe, Ed Hall, Stars of the Lid. Very cool....

• Hook 'Em 3

16 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I had no idea that King Coffey owned Trance Syndicate. They put out some pretty eclectic and amazing records from Texas artists in the 90s - Roky, Bedhead, Sixteen Deluxe, Ed Hall, Stars of the Lid. Very cool....

oh, i could wax poetic over Bedhead but no one would probably listen. Great band.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 8 months later...
On 9/26/2022 at 6:37 PM, G650 said:

19 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

How that guy was a decent college basketball player is beyond me.

and he was the top ranked accounting graduate in his class at Trinity U.  He interned and briefly worked at PWC, IIRC. Can you imagine the interview? The hiring manager was probably like, "Uh, he has a 4.00 GPA while playing collegiate sports...maybe he just doesn't interview well?"

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Haha 1