Poll: Which NBA team will LeBron sign with in the 2018 offseason?

Machinator

What NBA team will LeBron go to in the 2018 offseason?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. What NBA team will LeBron sign with in the 2018 offseason?

• Cleveland Cavaliers
    • Boston Celtics
    • Philadelphia 76ers
    • Houston Rockets
    • Golden State Warriors
    • Los Angeles Lakers
    • Miami Heat
    • The field

Now that the formalities of the 2018 NBA Finals have concluded, time for the real season to begin.

LeBron will reportedly visit 7 teams this offseason. Who's the lucky winner this time?

https://247sports.com/nba/golden-state-warriors/Article/Report-LeBron-James-to-meet-with-the-Golden-State-Warriors-Boston-Celtics-Cleveland-Cavaliers-Philadelphia-76ers-Houston-Rockets-Los-Angeles-Lakers-and-Miami-Heat-118882261

• Machinator changed the title to Poll: Which NBA team will LeBron sign with in the 2018 offseason?
4 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

he's not going to the rockets, but he absolutely should.  wherever he goes, he won't be in a better spot to win titles than he would in h-town.

Not saying he should, but you saw Golden State on that list, right?

• Like 1

suppose GS gets him, wouldn't that encourage other emerging superstars to sign with them when the core group shows signs of aging in 5 years? This means GS could win every title for the next 2 or 3 decades. A fantasy, yes, but who would think Bron to gS was even remotely possible, but it is. 

7 hours ago, GhostofDanJones said:

Why would he go back to the Heat?

wouldn't surprise me if CP3 and Bron decide to go to a decent team like Miami, which has a good nucleus and old DWade. 

Houston would enable him to cut his minutes to the low 30s, and same for CP3 and Harden as they could tri-share the Ball Dominant duties, and still win by double digits. 

Edited by Orca of Peace

I don't think it is likely but Lebron to GS would be a huge conundrum for Silver and the league.  I have to think they realize they can't let something like that happen or TVs everywhere simply turn off...it would be interesting maneuvering.  In theory they shouldn't be able to stop it if it fits within all the rules but I have to think the commissioner has some "best interest of the game" powers somewhere that would have to be invoked to stop something like that.  

Just now, Surly Bevo said:

I don't think it is likely but Lebron to GS would be a huge conundrum for Silver and the league.  I have to think they realize they can't let something like that happen or TVs everywhere simply turn off...it would be interesting maneuvering.  In theory they shouldn't be able to stop it if it fits within all the rules but I have to think the commissioner has some "best interest of the game" powers somewhere that would have to be invoked to stop something like that.  

i still don't understand how Stern was able to stop the CP3 to Lakers deal and people just accepted the tyrant's powers. 

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

It would be so absurd that I think people would tune in for the ridiculousness. Would probably get really old, really fast, though. Even if they have to lose a couple players from their core, like Klay.

It's not really about if he wants to go to Houston, the fact that Houston  can't offer him more than minimum.  I'll  have to do the research to see which teams have the cap space to flat out sign him, because in the case of a sign and trade,  or opt  in and trade, Cleveland has most of the power.  They don't  have to take a shitty deal or take bad contracts back.  Cleveland knows they  are probably  screwed either way because they obviously aren't good enough with lebron and not much in the way of getting better. So they  know they will suck and will have to rebuild through the draft. 

Bottom line, either LeBron cp3 or both will have to  take less money to both play in Houston  next season, and neither have suggested they will do that.

1 hour ago, Snacks said:
7 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:
he's not going to the rockets, but he absolutely should.  wherever he goes, he won't be in a better spot to win titles than he would in h-town.

"Hey, LeBron, we need you to shoot more 3s."

Put LeBron at the 4 or 5 in that offense and it'd be interesting.

an ESPN dude made a valid point -- the offseason depends first on Kawhi who will be the first domino that will determine where Lebron goes. With all the Lebron hype and since KL isn't officially a FA, this dominant force KL is being overlooked. KL is huge for the NBA future and IMO is just as intriguing as the Lebron movements. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

I don't think it is likely but Lebron to GS would be a huge conundrum for Silver and the league.  I have to think they realize they can't let something like that happen or TVs everywhere simply turn off...

I would tune in just to watch Lebron try to get his ego under control and play in a system. I think that's why you can count out Golden State(besides 1000 other reasons), and Boston. Strong established coaches that he couldn't so easily push around. It's also probably the reason he is not considering San Antonio.

Personally I'm not sure if Golden State had to give up Thompson and Draymond for Lebron, they would be a better team.

He could also tarnish he legacy going to Houston and they be worse. That could happen if the offense has to be changed to accommodate him, instead of him fitting into what they are doing. Also Houston has a great defense. Yeah Lebron has made some all defense teams but in general the effort is not there. Maybe playing on a better team, with a better coach, getting his minutes down, he would have enough in the tank to play better D.

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

It's not really about if he wants to go to Houston, the fact that Houston  can't offer him more than minimum.  I'll  have to do the research to see which teams have the cap space to flat out sign him, because in the case of a sign and trade,  or opt  in and trade, Cleveland has most of the power.  They don't  have to take a shitty deal or take bad contracts back.  Cleveland knows they  are probably  screwed either way because they obviously aren't good enough with lebron and not much in the way of getting better. So they  know they will suck and will have to rebuild through the draft. 

Bottom line, either LeBron cp3 or both will have to  take less money to both play in Houston  next season, and neither have suggested they will do that.

The thought is Lebron can force his way to a team, if he wants, by forcing a sign and trade.  Example, if he wants to go to Houston, he could go to Cleveland management and say, "I'm not coming back so you can either get some assets back from my departure or you can get nothing".  That's where it gets a little tricky.  Lebron has PTO so he could opt in and then Houston would trade a package like Ryan Anderson, PJ Tucker, Eric Gordon, and 2 1st rounders for Lebron.  The tricky part is getting Cleveland to want to play ball.  They're over the cap no matter if Lebron leaves or doesn't leave.  So maybe, stress maybe, they decide to take those assets so they can 1. Tank and 2. pair them with some of their bad assets to get them off their their payroll and improve their roster over the course of 2 years. 

In this example, maybe they could pair Houston's first with George Hill's contract in December to a contender for an improvement on their roster or draft position.  It's not about just free cap space..... but Cleveland would have to want to play ball.  Maybe they look at those contracts and draft picks Houston would flip and think, "nah, those guys won't net much, certainly not as much as the luxury tax we would have to pay for them over the course of the year, and the draft picks will probably be 30 or worse so not really that valuable".  It'll be a sales job, not doubt...... And every management team factors or looks at these things differently.  But by taking those guys, they'd pay a ton in luxury tax and they have been paying a ton the last 3 years so maybe Gilbert thinks about saving money and starts the rebuild from scratch without paying out more. 

If/when Lebron leaves, Cleveland will start moving contracts like Hill's final guaranteed year.  Korver's final guaranteed and cheap contract.  JR Smith's final guaranteed year.  Etc, etc.

Also, how many fucking threads do we need about Lebron?

Edited by Patrick Bateman

76ers are definitely a dark horse in this discussion.

- They play in the East, which is a much easier road to the NBA Finals.

- They're a young core with real talent (Embiid, Simmons, Reddick/Covington, and hopefully Fultz) that could support LeBron well and contend for a while.

- 76ers won't have to gut their team to get LeBron like Houston likely would.

- Plenty of money/cap space. 76ers could sign LeBron to a max deal and still have room to trade for another star LeBron may want.

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

76ers are definitely a dark horse in this discussion.

- They play in the East, which is a much easier road to the NBA Finals.

- They're a young core with real talent (Embiid, Simmons, Reddick/Covington, and hopefully Fultz) that could support LeBron well and contend for a while.

- 76ers won't have to gut their team to get LeBron like Houston likely would.

- Plenty of money/cap space. 76ers could sign LeBron to a max deal and still have room to trade for another star LeBron may want.

The issue with Philly is he doesn't really fit optimally with their parts.  Simmons is very ball dominant and can't shoot so they would need to sign at least two shooters and JJ still likes his money and is a UFA.  Don't get me wrong, they could figure it out to some degree but it's not a natural fit.  Of course, if a certain GM is hired, who has worked well with Lebron then from a business perspective it could work easily.

3 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Mark Cuban #metoo'd out of ownership of the Mavs.  Lebron leads group that wins bid to take over ownership, names himself owner, GM, coach, starting power forward and starting point guard.

Like this guy?

jackie-moon_400x400.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Orca of Peace said:

isn't KL wanting out of SA badly? Maybe trade Kawhi for Lebron? 

Kawhi and Pop are meeting in the next week.  More should be known but KL is under contract so the Spurs don't have to do anything with him at this point but let him play..... A lot of folks think Pop will be able to smooth it over.  And Lebron wouldn't want to come to SA without Kawhi.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

40 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

That's where it gets a little tricky.  Lebron has PTO so he could opt in and then Houston would trade a package like Ryan Anderson, PJ Tucker, Eric Gordon, and 2 1st rounders for Lebron.  The tricky part is getting Cleveland to want to play ball.  They're over the cap no matter if Lebron leaves or doesn't leave. 

And I don't think Cleveland wants to play ball with LeBron anymore.   Those Houston contracts are not a good deal.  They are better off letting him walk than taking on bad contracts.  They are going to suck no matter what,  why pay a ton of money too. 

1 minute ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

And I don't think Cleveland wants to play ball with LeBron anymore.   Those Houston contracts are not a good deal.  They are better off letting him walk than taking on bad contracts.  They are going to suck no matter what,  why pay a ton of money too. 

Yea, I've stopped trying to adamantly anticipate what GM's will do in the NBA.  Some of them are confoundingly stupid.  Maybe the Cavs think they could flip a Tucker for a low first.  Maybe the same for Gordon.  No idea what goes through their minds.  All I know is it would be a lot of luxury tax for Anderson's shitty deal.  They can probably get under the apron if Lebron leaves and they start selling off this year and by next year, they'd have space if they wanted it if they work hard to shed their existing deals and probably a nice draft pick.  2019 is top 10 protected which is another consideration.  Maybe they want to really tank and Tucker, Gordon and Anderson would keep them afloat too much along with Love, Hood, Hill and Thompson?  There are always 3 team deals out there to be cut and it's really hard for fans to try and piece those together...... But where there's a will, there's a way.  But yea, Cleveland does have some leverage as Lebron can't go some places, like a Houston, as a Free Agent.  Has to be an opt in and trade.

All the talk of “LeBron and Simmons can’t llay together” is exactly the same as a year ago when people said the Rockets had lost their minds thinking that CP3 and Harden could share one ball. Fast forward a year and not only did they have the best record in the league they’d likely be title winners had CP3 not gotten injured in the WCF. Bron, Simmons, Embiid, Saric, Covington, Reddick, the #10 pick, plus the shooters they will add will be WAY more than enough to pencil them in for the Finals. Frankly I’m at a loss as to why so many people keep saying that he and Simmons “won’t work”. It’s basketball- the team with the best players wins.

LeBron should come to the Spurs and Kawhi should stay because not only will Pop help LeBron cement his legacy of GOAT, but he and Kawhi could become the greatest duo in basketball history. Bump Kawhi over to SG. LeBron absolutely is a SF/PF switch up guy. All you need is one decent big man and Murray. GS would no longer be a Finals lock every year and Pop and LeBron could both finish out their careers off of that, but I personally think that LeBron will try to play past 40.

LeBron can push through Kawhi's shoe deal, too. Do it, LeBron. Join the dark side.

• Like 1

Just now, Cameltoe said:

The NBA would block the deal if LeBron tried to sign with the Warriors. Just like they blocked the deal when the Lakers tried to sign CP3.

That was a trade with an organization without a management group.  The NBA was acting in management capacity until they could get new ownership in place...... The situations are nothing alike and there would be nothing the NBA could do if they did a sign and trade for Lebron.

6 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

LeBron should come to the Spurs and Kawhi should stay because not only will Pop help LeBron cement his legacy of GOAT, but he and Kawhi could become the greatest duo in basketball history. Bump Kawhi over to SG. LeBron absolutely is a SF/PF switch up guy. All you need is one decent big man and Murray. GS would no longer be a Finals lock every year and Pop and LeBron could both finish out their careers off of that, but I personally think that LeBron will try to play past 40.

LeBron can push through Kawhi's shoe deal, too. Do it, LeBron. Join the dark side.

Spurs are basically in the same position Houston is in.  They'd need to trade away players/contracts no one wants (Pau gasol)  I mean, patty mills has some value, Danny green  has a little too, Pau is done and still owed a ton of money.  I'm sure spurs would be open to trading Aldridge away, and Cleveland might actually be interested in him, but then you basically have Pau as a big man and nothing else.  I'll put it at 2 %.

15 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

All the talk of “LeBron and Simmons can’t llay together” is exactly the same as a year ago when people said the Rockets had lost their minds thinking that CP3 and Harden could share one ball. Fast forward a year and not only did they have the best record in the league they’d likely be title winners had CP3 not gotten injured in the WCF. Bron, Simmons, Embiid, Saric, Covington, Reddick, the #10 pick, plus the shooters they will add will be WAY more than enough to pencil them in for the Finals. Frankly I’m at a loss as to why so many people keep saying that he and Simmons “won’t work”. It’s basketball- the team with the best players wins.

Yep.   Same with LeBron and wade.   LeBron is the type of player who can play with anybody,  any system, any position.