Create a Microsoft Account on New Windows 11 PC?

Stella Link

I'm getting a new Laptop using Windows 11.  Should arrive in a couple weeks.  

From what I have been reading, when setting up the new Windows 11 PC out of the box, there is an option to sign up for a Microsoft account (or have a local account without a Microsoft account).  Seems like the only advantage for having a Microsoft account is having access to a bunch of  apps in the Microsoft online store.  I've looked at most of the apps and really not interested.

Is there an advantage of having a Microsoft account I'm not seeing?  Or should I skip this and sign up for a local account only?

Well, beware that if you don't set up or add a MS account, and allow bitlocker to enable, you will have to store your bitlocker key on a usb drive or write it down somewhere.

And if you lose that key and dont have it stored in an MS account, your computer could glitch and lock you out, permanently.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

No. Fuck that shit. Just skip it. 

I know when setting up they can kind of hide the option to just skip that step. They don't make it very clear that you don't need a Microsoft account iirc. 

Used to, but back in February, Microsoft made changes to their beta builds.  There's various hacks and whatnot you can employ, if you are committed.  The latest Win 11 release (last week?) mandates this.    The enterprise version (which we roll out at work) does not mandate the policy.  It only applies to a new installation, not an upgrade:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/02/new-preview-build-adds-microsoft-account-requirement-to-windows-11-pro/

• Hook 'Em 1

Bought a new laptop a few months ago, has win 11 and I fucking hate it.
Had to set up a ms account.. ms becoming more intrusive.
And for whatever reason my account in my laptop is not and does not have administrative privileges, wtf .. whoever thought this was a good deaign idea needs to be shot, seriously this so dumb. Now I can't add certain programs because I don't have those rights.. tried researching on how to set it up and found nothing that works.

A personal laptop needs 1 account only that has all privileges, why is that has to understand for ms.

The ui is annoying, if I wanted a floating bar at the bottom of my screen with all sorts of buttons, I'd buy a FUCKING MAC.

I have win10 on a thumb drive somewhere and once I find I'm formatting this pos

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Smax said:

Bought a new laptop a few months ago, has win 11 and I fucking hate it.

I have win10 on a thumb drive somewhere and once I find I'm formatting this pos

Going back to Win 10 is certainly an option, but support for it ends in 2025.  Which is why we bit the bullet and started rolling out Win 11 last winter to everyone, because by the time of the employee's next desktop refresh, Win 11 will be the only option for us, and we wanted people to be used to it.

There are a lot of advantages to having that account, but mostly, it stores a lot of settings, documents, pictures, etc in the cloud for you via OneDrive. Next time you switch PCs or get another you can sign in and have it apply the same settings to the. New machine.  Having the account will help with support issues if you need MS for something.  My MS account is linked to my Gmail, which I use for a lot of stuff. I barely use the account itself. It's really not an issue 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/25/2022 at 1:46 PM, Smax said:

And for whatever reason my account in my laptop is not and does not have administrative privileges, wtf .. whoever thought this was a good deaign idea needs to be shot, seriously this so dumb. Now I can't add certain programs because I don't have those rights.. tried researching on how to set it up and found nothing that works.

https://appuals.com/enable-built-in-administrator-account-windows-11/

I am still on Win10 but your statement piqued my interest since I will eventually have to make the change.    Did you see the above link ?   I do agree it is a pain.

Edited by torre

On 9/26/2022 at 4:52 PM, torre said:

https://appuals.com/enable-built-in-administrator-account-windows-11/

I am still on Win10 but your statement piqued my interest since I will eventually have to make the change.    Did you see the above link ?   I do agree it is a pain.

I did and my question is why?

Why is there a built in undeletable admin account on my laptop?

Why cant my account, the only account on this laptop have full control?

This makes no sense to me, installing programs, emulators and whatnot is a total pain in the ass now

Got my new PC with Windows 11 and decided to sign up for a Microsoft account (didn't have much choice).  Denied all settings except location.  So far, so good.  I'm staying logged out of the Microsoft account (and store) so it doesn't look like it will be that intrusive.  

So far, Windows 11 isn't as bad as I thought it would be.