Parked police car with detained suspect inside gets hit by train (Colorado)

Helobious

So that's reckless endangerment, no? Her attorney is gonna have a field day with the pain & suffering angle. In addition to the obvious physical trauma she sustained, you've got the mental anguish of being trapped inside the cop's SUV with the sound of the train's horn and light getting closer and closer, knowing she was helpless and likely facing an indescribably painful death.

How many of the cops on scene received medals for their heroism?

• Hook 'Em 2

So watching the full video I can hear the first train whistle on the cop's body cam at 5'05 and impact seems to be right around 5'25. Is a hundred grand per second while contemplating your impending death due to the criminally stupid actions of a highly trained police officer a good starting point? Since there was a baby seat in the back of her truck we can assume she has at least one child. That's a long time to think about your child growing up without their mother.

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

You're giving the cops too much credit here. I'm not convinced it wasn't intentional.

Yeah, that's what I was driving at.  On the scale of willful to negligent, that is just so almost impossibly stupid that it makes you wonder.  And also whether the law should make any distinction.

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm just gonna go ahead and posit the idea that stopping on the train tracks in the first place was really fucking stupid.

This wil be a many-$10s of millions settlement, and rightfully so.  

Well, remember that this would be, at first glance, a lawsuit against the PD, as the deep pocket for it's negligent employees.  And those may be barred by sovereign immunity.  It appears that Colorado's immunity laws let those suits through with no damage caps other than what is usually avallable to defendants.

The heroes are among the stupidest, most dangerous mf'ers in our society.  This is not a few bad apples, it's most of them.  

"Hey, I know, let's bring in a bunch of mental midgets and give them guns, badges, and arrest powers!!!  Yeah, that's the ticket!"

Sterilize every badge wearer in that video and put them on the unemployment line immediately.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 9/27/2022 at 6:28 AM, Cajun said:

The heroes are among the stupidest, most dangerous mf'ers in our society.  This is not a few bad apples, it's most of them.  

"Hey, I know, let's bring in a bunch of mental midgets and give them guns, badges, and arrest powers!!!  Yeah, that's the ticket!"

Sterilize every badge wearer in that video and put them on the unemployment line immediately.

Shouldn't they be treated like child molesters and made to go door to door and inform their neighbors and any potential employer?

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Shouldn't they be treated like child molesters and made to go door to door and inform their neighbors and any potential employer?

Except potential employers for heroes are usually other heroes.  

“Oh, you left a cruiser on train tracks? Sheereeeiiit, old Rodriguez over there killed a family of seven in a head-on chasing a flasher.  You’ll fit right in here.  Welcome aboard!!!”

2 hours ago, RPM said:

Oh, that's a great fucking idea. Going door to door shooting people for making a furtive movement like answering their door.