Texas vs tech - 2:30pm on ESPN

Pancho

43 minutes ago, Dilligas said:

Yeah I like Sark from a television relationship but I’m thinking he may suck like the last 3 hires. Same issues too, doesn’t know when to jettison a shitty coach. Sucks because I’m rooting for him

He hasn't proven he can do better than a 4 loss season anywhere.

1 hour ago, Firemans4Horn said:

We scored 7 points in the first 29:59 of the second half. Offense sustained no drives and as a result our defense melted. Offense could have put the fucking game away instead we kept running it up the middle with our dogshit interior run blocking and Sark “mr creativity” looked like Shawn Watson trying to run the spread. 

defense melted because they couldn't stop anything, particularly wide open WRs due to massive cushions. 

and QuitCow calls off the blitz packages when Texas has a lead. 

Edited by Make em eat Taco Bell
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

It’s obvious that TTU outcoached us.

1. Going for it on 4th every time was genius. They have nothing to lose and the game plan revolved around applying maximum pressure to our defense.

2. The dink and dunk passing game is the only thing their QB was capable of and we played directly into that by playing soft coverage and not blitzing. Honestly, why the fuck has no one on the defensive side of the ball figured out that this shit doesn’t work.

3. Sark decided to do his best Tom Herman impression after we went up 14. The inside run game was stuffed all day so, naturally, we ran inside on 1st and 2nd down on seemingly every second half possession. Then, we tried to get 25 yards on 3rd down instead of 10. That’s a great recipe for 3 and out.

PK has to go. This is a 16 game sample size. His bend don’t break (lol) defense sucks ass.

Sark needs to nut the fuck up and play call aggressively, even with a lead.

We also have a good sample Size of sark never nutting up and staying aggressive so that won’t happen either.

1 minute ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

the Bijan fumble wasn't as critical ---  max score would be FG on the possession as the offense isn't moving the ball.  Then the D can't stop anything -- so Tech scores a 6.  the fumble was important but the loss was very likely regardless. 

that fumble was about as critical as it could be no matter how you try to spin it. Why was the ball in his left hand?

• Hook 'Em 1

the Bijan fumble wasn't as critical ---  max score would be FG on the possession as the offense isn't moving the ball.  Then the D can't stop anything -- so Tech scores a 6.  the fumble was important but the loss was very likely regardless. 

Um, I think fumbling on the first play of a college overtime period qualifies as something around a millionty thousand miles North of “critical”
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

Pretty damn simple.  Tech played with nothing to lose, 4 down territory everywhere, etc.  D fense wore out having essentially played 2 games of snaps.  O line couldn’t get any push for most of the game and sark tried to force the run game.  D fense like always doesn’t follow the team slogan and it’s all brakes once there’s a lead.

Leave it to tech to always pull the most annoying shit.

air raid in years past and this game going for it on fourth all the time.  Surprised they didn’t do a flea flicker or onside kick, fake punt etc.

Like seeing a fucking glitch in the matrix when I see huge ass cushions in the second half and knowing a 2 score lead isn’t enough.  Guess I took the blue pill or is it the red?

I’ll say it here.  We beat OU because that would be crazy and this team always performs best when given no chance.

• Haha 1

I'm an eternal optimist so would like to say that I'm happy refs didn't lose this game for us, we did!

Offensive conservatism and Card's inability to hit a deep pass did us in.  The D is easy to blame but I'm more mad at O than D because we changed in the middle of game to what doesn't work.  At least with D, we didn't change.  We loved allowing 3.33 yards per play the whole game.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Dr.Dre said:

Pretty damn simple.  Tech played with nothing to lose, 4 down territory everywhere, etc.  D fense wore out having essentially played 2 games of snaps.  O line couldn’t get any push for most of the game and sark tried to force the run game.  D fense like always doesn’t follow the team slogan and it’s all brakes once there’s a lead.

Leave it to tech to always pull the most annoying shit.

air raid in years past and this game going for it on fourth all the time.  Surprised they didn’t do a flea flicker or onside kick, fake punt etc.

Like seeing a fucking glitch in the matrix when I see huge ass cushions in the second half and knowing a 2 score lead isn’t enough.  Guess I took the blue pill or is it the red?

I’ll say it here.  We beat OU because that would be crazy and this team always performs best when given no chance.

The problem is when we get up on someone they have nothing to lose.

Texas 28 - ou 7  at half loss

Texas 17 - osu 3 loss

Texas 21 - Baylor 10 loss

Texas 31 - Tech 17 loss

And most teams we play have nothing lose going into the games.  Sark finds a way to lose by not doing everything in his power to win.   You can chew up the clock without running on 1st and second down when you are ahead by two scores.  Guess what, just because you are ahead by two scores doesn't mean you cant go up by 3 scores. 

You can recognize your quarterback's deficiencies and replace them or find something they are good at and make sure they stick to it.  You can instruct your quarterback who can't throw a deep ball to save his life, to hit the slant or WIDE FUCKING OPEN tight end, or feed it to a running back.  You don't have to run the Wildcat because you don't trust your QB, and if that's all you got, you need a different QB.  The defense was disappointing, 6 fourth down conversions is ridiculous, but going 3 and out repeatedly didn't help the defense at all.  Buddy Ryan would have kicked Sark's ass today.  Time of possession and offensive plays run were atrocious.  It was identical to the App St. v aTm game, with a similar result.

What really pisses me off is that we can all feel it because we have seen it so many times before.  The fact that Sark & Co couldn't see it unfolding and correct it is what is so infuriating.  Or better yet, go into to the game with the mentality and game plan to prevent this type of loss from ever happening. Having a huge lead is sickening and gives little hope for the future.

Can we beat OU?  Sure, we can beat anyone.  But with Sark's coaching style, we can also lose to anyone.

Edited by UTEX90
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, SuckitKevin said:

Tech nickel and dimed us all game long, just like UTSA and we let them. Fuck this shitty bend no break defense, it fucking broke and we stuck with it.

Maybe Texas should scoop up UTSA’s very competent high school coach before aggy does.

Edited by Satchel
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I feel sorry for Bert. Two clutch kicks to tie games only to have the team pull the rug out from under him.

I feel sorry for my cat, who got kicked over the kitchen bar when Bijan fumbled, but shit happens.

Edited by UTEX90
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

Maybe Texas should scoop up UTSA’s very competent high school coach before aggy does.

He's a little competent. Love supporting our local Alamodome High School Team.  Pretty bummed with the Texas loss.  That didn't go the way I thought it would

Edited by Chico_SA

My takeaways

The Ugly
Tech converting 6-8 fourth down attempts.

The Bad:
Conservative game plan on both sides
Run blocking, especially inside
Lax defensive effort, especially late
Secondary

The Good:
We are probably 4-0 with Ewers at the helm

The Mind-boggling:
How the wrapped up QB fumbles and then gets a 1st down because he recovers his own fumble.

The Meh:
Review booth essentially not reviewing anything, especially that 3rd down whittington catch

It's frustrating because Alabama sure felt like fool's gold. We all thought the defense was better but outside of that game, they've been a touch better than last year or just as awful. Can't get a stop when they need it. Teams can barrel ahead on 3rd or 4th down and take what they want. No turnovers. The offense under Card is just stale and completely non-threatening. He can't hit the big pass and it seems like he never looks for the medium pass. There's nothing to the TE or in the middle. Bijan getting 16 carries is criminal and in the Tom Herman territory of underutilizing our talent. I certainly hope Ewers is ready to go this Saturday because any time Card starts, it will be a 50/50 proposition on whether he can get you a win against an average opponent. Higher level talent like OU, Baylor, or oSu will be more like 20%. I appreciate him for his gutsy play but he's simply not the answer for getting wins in the Big 12. I feel like this will be a tale of two seasons and things will improve only if Ewers gets back and stays healthy. A fairly tall task. 

Edited by mdmost

8 minutes ago, mdmost said:

It's frustrating because Alabama sure felt like fool's gold. We all thought the defense was better but outside of that game, they've been a touch better than last year or just as awful. Can't get a stop when they need it. Teams can barrel ahead on 3rd or 4th down and take what they want. No turnovers. The offense under Card is just stale and completely non-threatening. He can't hit the big pass and it seems like he never looks for the medium pass. There's nothing to the TE or in the middle. Bijan getting 16 carries is criminal and in the Tom Herman territory of underutilizing our talent. I certainly hope Ewers is ready to go this Saturday because any time Card starts, it will be a 50/50 proposition on whether he can get you a win against an average opponent. Higher level talent like OU, Baylor, or oSu will be more like 20%. I appreciate him for his gutsy play but he's simply not the answer for getting wins in the Big 12. I feel like this will be a tale of two seasons and things will improve only if Ewers gets back and stays healthy. A fairly tall task. 

Agreed on Ewers, but he's still most likely to freshman us into some losses.

51 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

All the talk of PK but the S&C coach should be the next out the door. 

Every game it seems like we aren’t well conditioned. I know the defense played a lot of snaps but this is a reoccurring theme since Sark was hired. 

we lose one on one battles all over the field and have for over a decade, this didn't start with Sark.

7 minutes ago, bullet said:

A couple of our penalties were total boneheads.  Looked like a Charlie Strong team.  Offsides and PI on a 3rd and 26??????

on the completed pass penalty not just offsides but then the dude fucking drops his shoulders and quits on the play when he had a clear as fuck path to the quarterback but was sucking his thumb while the qb completes a 40 yard pass.

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Every game it seems like we aren’t well conditioned. I know the defense played a lot of snaps but this is a reoccurring theme since Sark was hired. 

I don’t know what kind of conditioning can keep a defense fresh for 100+ snaps in 90+ degree weather in the middle of the afternoon.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Story of this game was 4th down, plain and simple. Tech chose a high risk strategy by going for all of those, and we absolutely flunked it. Stop a couple more of those and we win convincingly. Tech's offensive efficiency stats actually weren't very good - only 5.9 ypa passing and 3.4 yards per carry. Texas was 9.2 ypa and 5 ypc. 

Besides that, can someone more knowledgeable explain to me what's wrong with our run blocking? Every game our RBs are getting met in the backfield nonstop.

Also the offense continue to turtle in the 2nd half. Seems like we go totally vanilla playcalling. I don't get it.

Pass rush = nonexistent. Bama game was fools gold. We had 1 sack vs UTSA's 3rd string tackles and none vs Tech.

Lastly, we have forced 2 turnovers through 4 games. Yikes. 

I don't think it's worth panicking about the offense other than the turtling. Gotta remember that despite all our offseason portal moves, this game was played with the same guys as last year, minus Worthy. And a young Oline. No Ewers, no Neyor, no Billingsley, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Story of this game was 4th down, plain and simple. Tech chose a high risk strategy by going for all of those, and we absolutely flunked it. Stop a couple more of those and we win convincingly. Tech's offensive efficiency stats actually weren't very good - only 5.9 ypa passing and 3.4 yards per carry. Texas was 9.2 ypa and 5 ypc. 

Lastly, we have forced 2 turnovers through 4 games. Yikes. 

I don't think it's worth panicking about the offense other than the turtling. Gotta remember that despite all our offseason portal moves, this game was played with the same guys as last year, minus Worthy. And a young Oline. No Ewers, no Neyor, no Billingsley, etc. 

All of this.  Per Connely Tech had a 2% post-game win expectancy.  The 4th down conversions + no turnovers (with that many fucking plays) were just ridiculous.  They put it on the ground twice and we couldn't find it.  Similar to the OU game last year where we just needed someone to make 1 fucking play in the 2nd half and nobody did.  

For the offense, the loss of Worthy was huge.   I would like to go back and watch all 22 film as I feel like once he was out of the game Tech didn't respect passing game at all and we couldn't do anything.  Sark has to adjust and have a plan for that scenario.  This was a game where losing Neyor for the year really hurt us.

10 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Besides that, can someone more knowledgeable explain to me what's wrong with our run blocking? Every game our RBs are getting met in the backfield nonstop.

Sacks scheme is predictable when he's got an average QB in the game. The defense knows he wants to run on 1st and 2nd so they send the house. Then 3rd and 8 with Card is not hard to shut down. Quinn coming back will open the playbook back up and get the whole offense involved. 

3 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Sacks scheme is predictable when he's got an average QB in the game. The defense knows he wants to run on 1st and 2nd so they send the house. Then 3rd and 8 with Card is not hard to shut down. Quinn coming back will open the playbook back up and get the whole offense involved. 

If Worthy is out for any extended period receivers other than Whittington have to step up.  We aren't difficult to defend when they only have to worry about stopping one guy in passing game.  I think that will be a problem no matter who is at QB.

I am cross posting this from the Hudson Card thread:

In the Second half here were our drives:

4 Plays 8 yards.  Turnover on Downs: 8 yards (After one of our 4 down stops on Tech)  1 pass attempt: Complete 5 yards.  We ran up the middle on 3rd and 4th down.

8 Plays 75 yards 40 yard TD by Bijan. Card was 2 of 3 on the drive for 23 yards and a 22 yard scramble.

3 Plays 2 yards Punt.  Card was 1 of 2 for 0 yards.

3 Plays -1 yard Punt.  Card was 0 for 2.

5 Plays - 17 yards Punt.  Card was 0-2 and we only got a first down because of a pass interference call, otherwise another 3 and out.

5 Plays - 46 yards FG.  Card was 3 for 3 for 46 yards.

They went for it on 4th down repeatedly because we couldn't move the ball in the second half. They stacked the box and stopped the run and dared Card to make a difference.  He didn't.  I am not saying our defense didn't suck ass on 4th down attempts.  They did but we damn sure didn't do anything to convince them going for it on 4th down at midfield was a bad idea.  There is blame to go around everywhere.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

We seemingly suffer injuries at a 2:1 rate vs every other CFB squad too

9 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

what was the stats on run/pass on first down? I thought we threw on first down plenty of times.

32 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

what was the stats on run/pass on first down? I thought we threw on first down plenty of times.

We had 8 first downs total in the entire 2nd half, prior to the last drive  (all 3 plays were 1st down complete passes on the final drive).

Of those 8 first downs:

6 were runs for 14 yards total.  (Bijan 1yd, Bijan 1yd, Roschon 2yd, Bijan 1yd, Bijan 4 yrds, Bijan 5 yrds. 

2 were incomplete passes. 

So only 2 of those 8 downs could you say we were reasonably effective.

Edited by UTEX90
  • Like 1