Texas vs tech - 2:30pm on ESPN

Pancho

48 minutes ago, UTEX90 said:

I am cross posting this from the Hudson Card thread:

In the Second half here were our drives:

4 Plays 8 yards.  Turnover on Downs: 8 yards (After one of our 4 down stops on Tech)  1 pass attempt: Complete 5 yards.  We ran up the middle on 3rd and 4th down.

8 Plays 75 yards 40 yard TD by Bijan. Card was 2 of 3 on the drive for 23 yards and a 22 yard scramble.

3 Plays 2 yards Punt.  Card was 1 of 2 for 0 yards.

3 Plays -1 yard Punt.  Card was 0 for 2.

5 Plays - 17 yards Punt.  Card was 0-2 and we only got a first down because of a pass interference call, otherwise another 3 and out.

5 Plays - 46 yards FG.  Card was 3 for 3 for 46 yards.

They went for it on 4th down repeatedly because we couldn't move the ball in the second half. They stacked the box and stopped the run and dared Card to make a difference.  He didn't.  I am not saying our defense didn't suck ass on 4th down attempts.  They did but we damn sure didn't do anything to convince them going for it on 4th down at midfield was a bad idea.  There is blame to go around everywhere.

we didn’t attack the edges like we did LaMonroe and 2nd half UTSA. We stubbornly ran up the middle with no success

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

All of this.  Per Connely Tech had a 2% post-game win expectancy.  The 4th down conversions + no turnovers (with that many fucking plays) were just ridiculous.  They put it on the ground twice and we couldn't find it.  Similar to the OU game last year where we just needed someone to make 1 fucking play in the 2nd half and nobody did.  

For the offense, the loss of Worthy was huge.   I would like to go back and watch all 22 film as I feel like once he was out of the game Tech didn't respect passing game at all and we couldn't do anything.  Sark has to adjust and have a plan for that scenario.  This was a game where losing Neyor for the year really hurt us.

2%??? I never put too much stock in that stuff but wow. There's no doubt that Tech went extremely high risk with all those 4th downs. If you miss those, it sets Texas up for a lot more points. Like I said before, this is a 2-3 TD win if we stop just a couple more of those 4ths.

The fumble recoveries are bad luck but on the first one Cook bent over to pick up the ball instead of diving on it. Should've had it. I'm guessing the lack of INTs is largely tied to lack of pass rush but still, very bad.

1 hour ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Sacks scheme is predictable when he's got an average QB in the game. The defense knows he wants to run on 1st and 2nd so they send the house. Then 3rd and 8 with Card is not hard to shut down. Quinn coming back will open the playbook back up and get the whole offense involved. 

Maybe but in the first half he was letting Card sling it and it was working great. I don't get why the 2nd half offense look so much different. First half - offense looks like a piece of art with all the misdirection and stuff. Second half - pure vanilla. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

we didn’t attack the edges like we did LaMonroe and 2nd half UTSA. We stubbornly ran up the middle with no success

I noticed this yesterday. Keilan was a big part of the first drive, but apparently we had absolutely no interest in letting him, or Bijan, test the off-tackle runs or outside zone after that. Swing passes, anything. 

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Maybe but in the first half he was letting Card sling it and it was working great. I don't get why the 2nd half offense look so much different. First half - offense looks like a piece of art with all the misdirection and stuff. Second half - pure vanilla. 

Well, to play out the string, Worthy went out without having much deep ball success, then we tried a couple more deep balls to the various others and even worse (bad throws, no separation). So like with 4th downs, McGuire gambled to let us have the deep ball and played close to take away the things that were working.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, UTEX90 said:

We had 8 first downs total in the entire 2nd half, prior to the last drive  (all 3 plays were 1st down complete passes on the final drive).

Of those 8 first downs:

6 were runs for 14 yards total.  (Bijan 1yd, Bijan 1yd, Roschon 2yd, Bijan 1yd, Bijan 4 yrds, Bijan 5 yrds. 

2 were incomplete passes. 

So only 2 of those 8 downs could you say we were reasonably effective.

Yikes.

3 hours ago, Horn Dogg said:

I don’t know what kind of conditioning can keep a defense fresh for 100+ snaps in 90+ degree weather in the middle of the afternoon.  

According to Will Matthews in pregame, it was 140 degrees on the turf at kickoff. Their first two drives totaled 30 plays. I knew we were in trouble then. 

Adjusted Expectations

After two close losses, it is a tough 2-2 start for the Horns. At this time, my expectation for the team is to win 9 games. If they win 10 or the Big 12, that will certainly exceed my expectations for this year. Of course, these have been downgraded. The reality is that our starting QB is out and the backup is playing with a hurt ankle. Also, we can't catch a break, sigh 😑

Luisiana-Monroe W 52-10

Alabama L 19-20

UTSA W 41-20

@TTU 34-37 OT

2-2

West Virginia W

OU W

Iowa State W

@OSU L

@KSU L

TCU W

@ KU W

Baylo W

Bowl W

While down-graded, these are still fairly tough expectations for the team.  For OU, OSU, KSU, KU, Baylor, I have us going3-2. The rest of the games are still all tough but those are must-wins.

• Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, VaLonghorn99 said:

Adjusted Expectations

After two close losses, it is a tough 2-2 start for the Horns. At this time, my expectation for the team is to win 9 games. If they win 10 or the Big 12, that will certainly exceed my expectations for this year. Of course, these have been downgraded. The reality is that our starting QB is out and the backup is playing with a hurt ankle. Also, we can't catch a break, sigh 😑

Luisiana-Monroe W 52-10

Alabama L 19-20

UTSA W 41-20

@TTU 34-37 OT

2-2

West Virginia W

OU W

Iowa State W

@OSU L

@KSU L

TCU W

@ KU W

Baylo W

Bowl W

While down-graded, these are still fairly tough expectations for the team.  For OU, OSU, KSU, KU, Baylor, I have us going3-2. The rest of the games are still all tough but those are must-wins.

image.png.f471571b7882d6c9ee47078019597745.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BurdineBandit said:

I noticed this yesterday. Keilan was a big part of the first drive, but apparently we had absolutely no interest in letting him, or Bijan, test the off-tackle runs or outside zone after that. Swing passes, anything. 

That's reserved for offenses who tap the brakes or ride the clutch. All gas means bombs from your own endzone regardless of your success or who is in the game.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

That’s what Sark does. Key drive in the 2nd half was the opener. Three runs and a designed short pass.

Where we fail to help the defense in many games is to get that extra score to get the opponent out of their game plan. They are close enough that the play caller and QB can remain patient.

Part of it may be an attempt to preserve the defense so that he’s trying to establish the run. The flow of the game dictated the run game worked off the pass game. Tech knows you have to shut down Bijan. We simply didn’t manage accordingly.

18 hours ago, D3zii said:

Fucking embarrassing 

I know this is loser talk but I'm going to say it anyway because I'm still pissed. Fuck you you cocksucker. The only things running through Lubbock require a condom to stop. Beating Texas is the ONLY thing that matters to your fans. After you lose to K state on Saturday and your stadium goes back to 60% full, it will hit you that mediocrity (but beat Texas) is a damn good target for Tech, and always will be. You won your super bowl, but as the longhorns know, playing your super bowl in front of a sold-out home crowd is a nice advantage to have for a week. Your 3* will show 5* hustle for a game. Get back on the road and prove you're not the definition of mediocre then come talk to me. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Can't wait til an actual competent coaching staff smacks you in the fucking mouth for trying to go for 8 4th downs in a single game and boat races you by 28 at the half because you can't be a dumbass against all big 12 teams. Let another coaching staff find out your QB is basically Hudson Card plus 30 pounds. Just wait! 

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

According to Will Matthews in pregame, it was 140 degrees on the turf at kickoff. Their first two drives totaled 30 plays. I knew we were in trouble then. 

Yeah, at that point I told the guys I was watching with that I was concerned with the amount of time our defense was spending out there.  McGuire appears to be a clever motherfucker for wearing down our defense like he did.

In Bohls’ column today he quotes coach Joey as saying “there’s a reason they (UT) dont want to keep playing and you saw why today.”

hey high school Joey—-go fuck yourself. If you believe we are afraid to play you you’re an even bigger moron than your coaching displayed yesterday. You and Hocutt can slip away into obscurity and irrelevance in 1…2…3…4

And if Abbott or the state lege gets involved in any way regarding scheduling I’ll go crazy. Bye sand aggy

Edited by texastroubadour
Grammar
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

Can't wait til an actual competent coaching staff smacks you in the fucking mouth for trying to go for 8 4th downs in a single game and boat races you by 28 at the half because you can't be a dumbass against all big 12 teams. Let another coaching staff find out your QB is basically Hudson Card plus 30 pounds. Just wait! 

We're resolved to hoping other teams beat marginally competent opponents because we don't have ability to do so.

Sad, but pretty much epitomizes where this program is and has been for now 13 years.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

We can be pissed all day about the game but this is case and point why we should never play these fucks again.  No excuse for that nonsense and it could have turned really ugly really quick.   I've been on a lot of road trips and Lubbock and Columbus are the only places I've been this kind of shit would happen.   

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, texastroubadour said:

In Bohls’ column today he quotes coach Joey as saying “there’s a reason they (UT) dont want to keep playing and you saw why today.”

hey high school Joey—-go fuck yourself. If you believe we are afraid to play you you’re an even bigger moron than your coaching displayed yesterday. You and Hocutt can slip away into obscurity and irrelevance in 1…2…3…4

And if Abbott or the state lege gets involved in any way regarding scheduling I’ll go crazy. Bye sand aggy

Only thing I’m taking away from this is that UT/Tech deal of playing after we move to the SEC is no longer a thing so I’m happy.

• Hook 'Em 6

• 1 month later...
On 9/25/2022 at 2:08 PM, VaLonghorn99 said:

Adjusted Expectations

Luisiana-Monroe W 52-10

Alabama L 19-20

UTSA W 41-20

@TTU 34-37 OT

2-2

West Virginia W

OU W

Iowa State W

@OSU L

@KSU L

TCU W

@ KU W

Baylo W

Bowl W

The Horns met my adjusted expectations of 8-4 after the Tech loss when we stood at 2-2. Flip the KSU and TCU results. Bowl win would put us at 9 Ws. A few more 9+ win seasons consistently and we will be back in the hunt for playoffs/championships 🤘

• Hook 'Em 1