Hudson Card

Neonmoon

4 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

It was absolutely a shitty under throw that dropped like a brick

Correct, it was well short and just died at the end.  Roschon had to slow down to adjust to the pass, turn inside, and it was still at his ankles.  It didn't help that the announcers gave Roschon shit for "dropping it".  Card is not very good, but like Casey last year, I give him credit for sticking with the program and trying his best to keep us in games.

image.thumb.png.45d4c58eae7f711448381c0fe432f9ee.png

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, YChang said:

Was at the game and seems like there were moments when he’s holding on to the ball and takes forever to make a decision. Just processing and processing and understandably it’s most likely he’s still not a 100% but my recall was there was several plays where there was nothing but green in front of him and no one  nearby. Really surprised he didn’t take off running more. 

I don’t care as much that he didn’t run, though he clearly can, but you can’t take that much time and be effective. I think wvu is that bad. But his mobility does help. Overall, I’m glad he’s our backup. I’d like our starter back though. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Correct, it was well short and just died at the end.  Roschon had to slow down to adjust to the pass, turn inside, and it was still at his ankles.  It didn't help that the announcers gave Roschon shit for "dropping it".  Card is not very good, but like Casey last year, I give him credit for sticking with the program and trying his best to keep us in games.
image.thumb.png.45d4c58eae7f711448381c0fe432f9ee.png

Ankle?

29 minutes ago, YChang said:

Was at the game and seems like there were moments when he’s holding on to the ball and takes forever to make a decision. Just processing and processing and understandably it’s most likely he’s still not a 100% but my recall was there was several plays where there was nothing but green in front of him and no one  nearby. Really surprised he didn’t take off running more. 

Point Finger Up GIF by Neurads

hudson card was top 3 dual threat and top 5 overall qb in his class.

there's bryce young and cj stroud at the top.

DJ Ug seems like he fucking sucks, but playing decent this year.  healthy Card i'd say slots in exactly where he's supposed to be.

the remaining don't even sniff any ball time.  there's haynes king, jeff sims, and anthony richardson and they're shitty too.

• Hook 'Em 1

Card wasn't perfect yesterday, but the game demonstrated how much he has improved since last year. He's getting better at staying calm in the pocket. He still holds on to the ball too long, but he's at least processing the play rather than panicking. There's still a lot of room for improvement, but he's definitely better. He's actually good running the ball this year. He doesn't run it much, but is effective when he does. Last year he was awful running. At this point, he's a pretty good backup QB. Maybe that's his ceiling, maybe it isn't. Either way, that's all we need him to be at the moment. I look forward to Ewers coming back, but feel better about Card coming off the bench now than I did a couple of weeks ago.

• Hook 'Em 6

51 minutes ago, YChang said:

I look at it this way.  His brain was on Windows XP but he improved to Windows 7 this week.  He only blue-screened a couple times, and one of them didn't crash - the operator caught it.  If he can get up to Windows 10 he can be really good.  Windows 11 would be better but with Windows 10 at least he should be able to process more quickly.

The admins appear to be working on him, but with some things there is no shortcut.  You have to do some upgrades in sequence or you lose prior data.  XP to 7 is a big jump and it worked well.  Windows 7 to 10 isn't as big and I think he will take it well, and with no data loss.  That should speed things up tremendously.  Especially when they go from 32 to 64bit.  Don't expect Windows 11 right away though - it often takes hardware upgrades.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, OU Sucks said:

Agreed, although I have noticed some improvements.  I think maybe he has finally heard the criticisms - mostly about him being too slow in decision making.    For the most part, on Saturday he did seem (to me) to be making faster decisions.  He needs to trust himself better.  He will make mistakes with a wrong decision here or there, but hopefully more of them will be good decisions and will lead to fewer sacks or TFLs.  He could be a really good NCAA QB one day if he was QB1 somewhere with good QB coaching, and where he doesn't have to worry about being demoted.  Didn't Shane do well at SMU and eventually get to the NFL as a backup?

Card seems like a good kid that might be in the right place at the wrong time.

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Man, that is one tortured metaphor.

Thanks man - it hurt to write, but I couldn't find a cancel button when I was done so I just said eff-it.

Edited by dec3169
typo

Card balled out last night against a very fucking bad team. But I'll give credit where credit is due....he did what Sark gave him. He made some shit throws and made some really good throws, but holds on to the ball too long, so Ewers should and will start. Card is what he is and I thank him for his service, but it's time he goes back to backing up Ewers. We need higher ceiling if we're getting to 8 wins with the way OSU, KSU, TCU, and even fucking Kansas is playing. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

1 hour ago, dec3169 said:

I look at it this way.  His brain was on Windows XP but he improved to Windows 7 this week.  He only blue-screened a couple times, and one of them didn't crash - the operator caught it.  If he can get up to Windows 10 he can be really good.  Windows 11 would be better but with Windows 10 at least he should be able to process more quickly.

The admins appear to be working on him, but with some things there is no shortcut.  You have to do some upgrades in sequence or you lose prior data.  XP to 7 is a big jump and it worked well.  Windows 7 to 10 isn't as big and I think he will take it well, and with no data loss.  That should speed things up tremendously.  Especially when they go from 32 to 64bit.  Don't expect Windows 11 right away though - it often takes hardware upgrades.

nerds-mad.gif

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Man, that is one tortured metaphor.

Yeah, it's like having a lot of transistors but produced on an old semiconductor manufacturing process so it generates a lot of heat but you've got very little thermal dissipation so the clock speed has to be reduced and everything runs slow... just like hudson card.

• Haha 2

Card plays as hard as anyone. He’s improved but still has a way to go. He holds the ball too long and sometimes takes a sack when he doesn’t need to. Yesterday he was outside the pocket and took a five yard loss rather than throwing the ball away. That shit is still infuriating but he has avoided the big turnovers that plagued him last year. I’m glad we have him and he’s done as well as could be expected but Ewers needs to start when healthy and it’s not really much of a debate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

Card's a good Longhorn and he's doing as well as his skill set will allow.  So I'm grateful for that.  But this made me laugh.

Screenshot-2022-10-02-at-17-01-54-Barsto

This reminds me of high school gym class, where we played water polo and I didn't have my glasses, so I couldn't see anything.  I somehow ended up being goalie, so most of the time, I just chucked it to the other side and hoped it went to a teammate (which wasn't easy to figure out anyway, as no one had swimcaps, so they all were just random heads sticking out of the water).  At some point, people probably suspected I couldn't see shit but no one else wanted to play goalie.  I imagine this is how Card feels, when he chucks it deep into triple coverage, and hopes it's somewhere close to our player.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, dec3169 said:

Win XP and 7 were superior to 10 and 11.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, dec3169 said:

Time to reboot.

I think Card is more a project QB...give him three years of coaching and he can probably become a good college QB. 

It didn't help that he played behind a shit OL last season and his confidence probably took a hit.  The OL is better this season, still not great, and he is still gets pressure most every time he drops back to pass.

Tip of the cap to Card. Any program would be happy to have a backup that can competently lead an offense to 30+ ppg and win back to back conference games, including one on the road (Card did enough to win at Tech, that was lost on the headsets). He's obviously put in work to improve, plays hard, and has exceeded most reasonable expectations for this year. 

That said, this team needs Ewers back for Dallas.

Edited by gmr548

3 hours ago, OU Sucks said:

This reminds me of high school gym class, where we played water polo and I didn't have my glasses, so I couldn't see anything.  I somehow ended up being goalie, so most of the time, I just chucked it to the other side and hoped it went to a teammate (which wasn't easy to figure out anyway, as no one had swimcaps, so they all were just random heads sticking out of the water).  At some point, people probably suspected I couldn't see shit but no one else wanted to play goalie.  I imagine this is how Card feels, when he chucks it deep into triple coverage, and hopes it's somewhere close to our player.

This reminds me of my experience playing high school football. There was always some dude that ran track, or played fucking water polo, that would criticize the results, without ever playing the game.  They would give fucking stupid analogies like:  that dude must have forgotten his favorite socks or swim tights or his goggles. And that's why a football player failed to perform in the way they perceive football to be played.

It's a different game, with lots of intangibles.

Edited by Mach 1

Card is a dual threat guy playing in the wrong offense.   The Sark scheme asks him to process quickly and stretch the field with arm talent.   Just a bad mix IMO and would do better in another offense … Just not Sarks.   What we get from Card now is about as good as it’s going to get.   

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

This reminds me of my experience playing high school football. There was always some dude that ran track, or played fucking water polo, that would criticize the results, without ever playing the game.  They would give fucking stupid analogies like:  that dude must have forgotten his favorite socks or swim tights or his goggles. And that's why a football player failed to perform in the way they perceive football to be played.

It's a different game, with lots of intangibles.

Sorry my tongue-in-cheek story offended you, Hudson.  We all appreciate your service and the masterful way you bounced it off the WVU DB to Xavier.  Now please hand over the game ball to Quinn.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Sorry my tongue-in-cheek story offended you, Hudson.  We all appreciate your service and the masterful way you bounced it off the WVU DB to Xavier.  Now please hand over the game ball to Quinn.

Taking the easy way out. Your tongue in cheek story was dumb and inaccurate.

But I think we can agree Card has pros and cons. I lean toward pros based on his performance. You seem to lean toward cons. All good, but your stupid water polo analogy remains stupid.

37 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

But I think we can agree Card has pros and cons. I lean toward pros based on his performance. You seem to lean toward cons. All good, but your stupid water polo analogy remains stupid.

My story was relating to the "Fuck it Worthy down there somewhere" image.  I'm not equating water polo to football in any way.  It was literally a memory about high school gym class when I was 14.  I'm sorry you took it so seriously.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

Why so serious? 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

That throw he made that turned into a TD for Worthy after the tip... 

Awkward The Office GIF

We all cheered cause it ended up being a touchdown, but that was not a good decision.

The decision would have been less problematic if he had the arm for that throw and made the decision to throw earlier. Safety and corner were beat and chasing Worthy (see my post from last page). The corner was just hanging on to Worthy for dear life (would have been PI absent the safety tip). The safety wouldn't have been in any position to make a play if that ball is thrown on time into the corner of the end zone. But ball was underthrown and late, and Card needs to recognize that he isn't the guy that can make that throw, at least not yet. 

Edited by Dahobbs

35 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

The decision would have been less problematic if he had the arm for that throw and made the decision to throw earlier. Safety and corner were beat and chasing Worthy (see my post from last page). The corner was just hanging on to Worthy for dear life (would have been PI absent the safety tip). The safety wouldn't have been in any position to make a play if that ball is thrown on time into the corner of the end zone. But ball was underthrown and late, and Card needs to recognize that he isn't the guy that can make that throw, at least not yet. 

It was  terrible decision. You literally posted a shot with both defenders right on Worthy, CB is in on his hip. He had an easy 10 yards (at minimum) of grass, if he pulled the ball and ran. The safety is back peddling to the ball to high point it. Not sure where his arm strength comes into this, because that is not Card's issue. His issue has been accuracy, he has plenty of arm strength to complete a 45 tard TD pass. The decision is simple, take the easy first down or throw into double coverage. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, YChang said:

I haven't been to any of the games he's played, but in those games, dating back to last year, we have seen a hesitancy in his game at times. So no, him holding onto the ball is not just an ankle issue, it's part of what we've seen regardless. I do appreciate the kid, though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

He seems to have developed at least some pocket presence, such that he steps up (or scrambles a bit) to sometimes buy himself another second to make a read/throw. A second that's pretty critical given his tendency to hold on. Also appears to do a better job keeping his eyes downfield while doing so. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

It was  terrible decision. You literally posted a shot with both defenders right on Worthy, CB is in on his hip. He had an easy 10 yards (at minimum) of grass, if he pulled the ball and ran. The safety is back peddling to the ball to high point it. Not sure where his arm strength comes into this, because that is not Card's issue. His issue has been accuracy, he has plenty of arm strength to complete a 45 tard TD pass. The decision is simple, take the easy first down or throw into double coverage. 

I really don't want to re-argue this. I'm just saying I'm ok with the risk of throwing it to our best receiver against corners and safeties that have shown an inability to cover. It just has to be a better throw. If it is to the corner, it is most likely either a TD or incomplete. It wasn't a good decision for Card. But very good and elite QBs can make that a low risk, high reward play. 

Anyway, I don't think Card had 10 yards in front of him at all. 24 was closing quickly and probably limits it to a minimal gain unless we are assuming Card can make him miss. 

image.png.2b532b453a1ce641a171f7a7f9b598a7.png

37 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

He seems to have developed at least some pocket presence, such that he steps up (or scrambles a bit) to sometimes buy himself another second to make a read/throw.

I feel I'm being too hard on him, because he hasn't done all that bad, and on a shitty ankle at that, but I really don't think his pocket presence has improved that much. Now, a couple of times it appears to be the ankle that limited him. He's done well some, but has also stepped into trouble, whether that be a sack or force of a bad throw. So throw the ankle plays out, and I think we still see the same guy in the pocket. Maybe he's more willing to take off now? I dunno.

I do think he's throwing the ball a lot better as he goes along, though. 

16 hours ago, Victorious1 said:

I think Card is more a project QB...give him three years of coaching and he can probably become a good college QB. 

16 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

It’s his 3rd year in college….

This is Cards 3rd year in college

But only his 2nd year of being coached in college 

As @Had Enough has pointed out, Card has gotten a little better since last year. I felt like the first half of last season Card didn't see the open man at all. I feel like so far this season Card has cut down on his missing the open man, and just needs to throw with anticipation. Just like any sport, sometimes the nerves can cause paralysis by analysis. I think this might be what Card suffers from. He just doesn't want to make a mistake. Where as Mullet came in there slinging it with reckless abandon. Probably because he is a cocky sum-bitch. Hopefully the injury won't make him flinch in the pocket, because he was fearless in there before he went down. 

• Hook 'Em 1