Hudson Card

Neonmoon

11 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Was never a big Card fan until I saw him play with a fucked up ankle. I'm not saying the guy Is the best choice skill or talent wise, but DAMN, some of the crucial runs he made while barely able to walk were very gutsy. Regardless of what he does, or where he goes, he damned sure has my respect and best wishes. 

This.  His one-legged scrambles in a couple of our games were gutsy as hell.  And he almost beat Alabama, coming in cold off the bench.  Sorry it didn't work out for him here, but he gave 100% and AFAIK never bitched about being a backup.

Good luck, young man.  I'll be rooting for you.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

Card was horrible last year when he had his shot.

He’s in a system that doesn’t leverage some of his strengths.

He showed a lot of improvement this year, and guts.

He’s a very good athlete.

If he goes to the right program he will light it up and have surlyites whining about what could have been, mistakenly. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Card didn't get fucked over. He had ample opportunities to win the job and keep it. Sarkisian obviously saw something that he really didn't like that would cause him to give Card quick hooks. It could be a Shane Beuchelle situation where the kid just wasn't a fit for what Sarkisian wanted to do. That's not an indictment on anyone, just a different style. Card is going to be a good quality starter in an offense that suits him. I appreciate the kid for what he has done and how he handled himself here. Good luck to him and wish him nothing but success moving forward. 

It was probably Card's ability to complete passes that traveled in the air more than 15 yards that rubbed Sark the wrong way.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I have been a lifelong horn, questioning fanhood because our million dollar QB is laying eggs is ridiculous. Im gonna be much harder on these "kids" going forward because of NIL. We are paying him to perform and he isn't living up to the billing. He better step it up bigtime next season or he wont be playing here much longer. 

So being tough on players means making up dumbass nicknames as if you’re a TexAgs poster? Got it. 

20 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I hope to be proven wrong next year, but when it’s all said and done I think the program would’ve been better off with Card as the QB in ‘22-23 and compete with Manning in ‘24, avoiding the circus and spending Ewers’s NIL millions on OL, DL, LB, etc. 

man, people have short memories and love the backup QB. Card was largely below average the entire time he played this year, and while he did show some improvement, people mistake a lot of his improvement for playing his last game against a horrible WVU defense. He easily could've thrown multiple picks that game and got very lucky to get the stat line he did, like when he made a terrible throw that bounced off the WVU defender to Worthy for a TD.

Dont forget that Ewers sliced up the Bama defense for two drives, then Card came in for more than 3 quarters and could only manage 9 points. Card lost half the games he played in. Based on Ewers form early in the season, we probably go 4-0 during that same stretch if Ewers stays healthy. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

It was probably Card's ability to complete passes that traveled in the air more than 15 yards that rubbed Sark the wrong way.

He was not great on deep balls but man he was at least as good as Quinn's been.

His ability to run helped too. Every time Quinn has actually run it's worked out great for us.

13 hours ago, NashLonghorn said:

GG is cashing a NFL paycheck with the NE Patriots. 

And Shane Buechele is cashing one with the Chiefs.

I'd bet Card is cashing one someday too. I still say we're playing in the Big 12 Championship Game this weekend if Sark's stubborn ass put him in against Ok St or TCU.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

So being tough on players means making up dumbass nicknames as if you’re a TexAgs poster? Got it. 

man, people have short memories and love the backup QB. Card was largely below average the entire time he played this year, and while he did show some improvement, people mistake a lot of his improvement for playing his last game against a horrible WVU defense. He easily could've thrown multiple picks that game and got very lucky to get the stat line he did, like when he made a terrible throw that bounced off the WVU defender to Worthy for a TD.

Dont forget that Ewers sliced up the Bama defense for two drives, then Card came in for more than 3 quarters and could only manage 9 points. Card lost half the games he played in. Based on Ewers form early in the season, we probably go 4-0 during that same stretch if Ewers stays healthy. 

Largely below average this year, with a 69% completion percent and only one pick vs 6 TDs?  And if you want to talk about hypothetical picks, then Quinn would have plenty more than the 6 he did have.  Can't exactly pin the Tech game all on Card when we scored 34 points, and the only other game he lost was Bama.  Maybe we pull that game off if Sark doesn't continually call the Rocat on 3rd and short, when it keeps getting stuffed.

image.png.ef8ae75cd1caeb5e9dc1670a56f6e9e3.png

• Hook 'Em 2

Good kid, lived out his dream, earned his degree. Wasn’t gonna cut it here in this system. 
Will get another opportunity to play at another P5 program, hopefully with a good grad program. 
I think he’d do well at a school willing to spread it out and throw a bunch of short stuff. He’s got a great release and has some good straight line speed that the defense has to respect. 

Good luck to him going forward

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Card was horrible last year when he had his shot.

He’s in a system that doesn’t leverage some of his strengths.

He showed a lot of improvement this year, and guts.

He’s a very good athlete.

If he goes to the right program he will light it up and have surlyites whining about what could have been, mistakenly. 

Agree he showed a lot of improvement and will do well in a system suited to his skills.

Also, this statement is encouraging in that Ewers should also show lots of improvement and is in a system for his skill set.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Speaking of short memories, I imagine it has more to do with watching Ewers “slice up” two bad defenses in OSU and TCU. I’d have gladly taken one of Card’s supposedly below average performances in those games, because we’d have won.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Rumor he is going to visit Michigan... If he is transferring for playing time, why would he look at Michigan with JJ? 

if he wants to come up North, Iowa or Wiscy seem like way better fits for him to compete to start. 

Edited by Juicy

3 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Rumor he is going to visit Michigan... If he is transferring for playing time, why would he look at Michigan with JJ? 

if he wants to come up North, Iowa or Wiscy seem like way better fits for him to compete to start. 

He plays school. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Well, that is a good reason to come to Michigan. I thought Texas would be a good place to play school and be warm though. 

Which is why I'm confused as to his transfer. He should stick around, I think it's a genuine rift between him and the coach it doesn't really make sense outside of that.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

Which is why I'm confused as to his transfer. He should stick around, I think it's a genuine rift between him and the coach it doesn't really make sense outside of that.

Maybe we can trade you Card for Cade straight up. Works out for both schools, you can give Ewers a year to learn to lead under Cade, and Michigan gets a really solid backup that wasn't a 3* 1000+ rated recruit that they took a flier on when their top 100 guy had to medically retire. 

1 minute ago, immamac said:

... I think it's a genuine rift between him and the coach it doesn't really make sense outside of that.

Been my suspicion since last year watching Casey fuck up repeatedly and never seeing Card, then same stuff this season. Guess it will come out some day, but not anytime soon.

1 hour ago, MotownHorn said:

His ability to run helped too. Every time Quinn has actually run it's worked out great for us.

This is going to be a continuous refrain as long as Sark is the coach. Sark still has the old school BYU QB Lavell Edwards mentality.

He doesn't want his QB running. He doesn't value running as a skill.

It sucks, but he's not going to suddenly change and start valuing something he's discarded for 20-ish years of calling plays. 

• Rage+1 1

23 minutes ago, Pods said:

This is going to be a continuous refrain as long as Sark is the coach. Sark still has the old school BYU QB Lavell Edwards mentality.

It sucks, but he's not going to suddenly change and start valuing something he's discarded for 20-ish years of calling plays. 

Not 100% true.  Locker ran 200+ times for 770 yards at Washington under Sark.  So he will do it if that skillset is forced on him.  But no, he won't recruit to it and anything we get will be the rare scramble or the odd red zone call like against Baylor.

That Baylor TD was nice from the QB. Had one at TCU had he decided to take it. And the threat helps a great deal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pods said:

What national champion team in the last 10 years didnt have a qb that could run?

40 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Not 100% true.  Locker ran 200+ times for 770 yards at Washington under Sark.  So he will do it if that skillset is forced on him.  But no, he won't recruit to it and anything we get will be the rare scramble or the odd red zone call like against Baylor.

He did it with his first QB, but hasn't done it since and almost certainly won't ever again. Locker rushed just under 10 times a game in 2009 and 2010. Sark emphasized last year that he's no longer comfortable with the QB running 10 times a game, because of the accumulation of hits and increased injury risk.  

We saw this play out last year. That skillset was forced on him, but he stubbornly refused to use that strength of both Card and Thompson.

Sark is also on the record many times that he doesn't want his QB running, aside from a few situational runs. He's an anti-Herman here. He doesn't want his QB taking the hits, so running ability isn't going to be something he values in a QB. 

https://www.on3.com/college/texas-longhorns/news/steve-sarkisian-philosophy-running-quarterback-lack-texas-longhorns-casey-thompson-hudson-card/

“When it comes to running the ball, we are not a quarterback run system,” Sarkisian said.“I know a lot of people do it and they have success doing it. That’s not how we’re built. When the quarterback runs the ball, we try to take advantage of the opportunities when they’re there. Whether that’s third down, that’s in the red area, low red area. We do encourage them to use their legs to create positive yards when they can in the passing game but I have always been a believer of your team is always better when your quarterback is healthy. 

“If we can minimize some of those hits on him over the long haul of a season, the healthier he is, the more accurate he is, that’s seemed to work for me over the years.”

“I just haven’t been a big quarterback run guy,” Sarkisian said. “That’s not to say we haven’t done it and we do do it but it is very specific when we do do it. I think it’s worked well for us, I just don’t know if I really feel comfortable going down that road with our quarterback carrying the ball 10, 12, 15 times a game.”

2 hours ago, MotownHorn said:
2 hours ago, OU Sucks said:

He was not great on deep balls but man he was at least as good as Quinn's been.

One of Card's greatest improvements this season was how effective he was at running when he chose to do so. What was thought to be a strength of his last season really wasn't. But he did fine this season despite his bum ankle. My recollection was last season he was indecisive when running and often tried to dance sideways too much. This season he was more decisive and wiggled just enough to shake defenders to get vertical for yardage.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Just my guess but sark just won’t forgive card for sucking year 1.  Blames him for his own failure

5 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

One of Card's greatest improvements this season was how effective he was at running when he chose to do so. What was thought to be a strength of his last season really wasn't. But he did fine this season despite his bum ankle. My recollection was last season he was indecisive when running and often tried to dance sideways too much. This season he was more decisive and wiggled just enough to shake defenders to get vertical for yardage.

He did the sideways thing because he was coached to do so.  Sark doesn’t like running qbs

2 hours ago, Juicy said:

Maybe we can trade you Card for Cade straight up. Works out for both schools, you can give Ewers a year to learn to lead under Cade, and Michigan gets a really solid backup that wasn't a 3* 1000+ rated recruit that they took a flier on when their top 100 guy had to medically retire. 

OK, OK... But I'm willing to offer a Spencer Sanders AND a Gunnar Gundy!

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Just my guess but sark just won’t forgive card for sucking year 1.  Blames him for his own failure

He did the sideways thing because he was coached to do so.  Sark doesn’t like running qbs

Chip Kelly needs a running QB.  And our best option on the roster is probably RS Fr Justyn Martin.  Card might be a good fit for the Bruins.

• Hook 'Em 2

Absolute failure by Sark to at least try Card on the occasions Mullet was mentally or physically unable to play worth a bucket of warm spit after recovering from the Bama squashing ... wtf?

If he had a serious disagreement with Card, and is just too chicken shit to admit it, that's about the only plausible reason that comes to mind. Wouldn't be fair? GTFO, that's classical FUPM Brown bullshit.

Card seems to have had quite a bit of private coaching, and it strikes me as possible one or more of those might have shared some ideas with Card about what Sarkisian was,  or was not, doing, both tight and wrong. 

Wherever he lands, I wish Card nothing but the best.

On 11/30/2022 at 10:55 AM, gmr548 said:

More than anything it’s just aggy. This is a grown ass man thinking he’s clever with something an 11 year old would come up with.

Let’s get in the Wayback Machine and set it for the early 2000s if we want to see how grown ass men treat their non-preferred QB at Texas. 

• Like 1

A top dual threat QB recruited by TH leaves the program when the new coach is on record more than a dozen times saying he’s philosophically opposed to calling run plays for his QB (which by definition means no RPO) is leaving? Say it isn’t so. 

the NFL has done a full 180 since they shit on VY, Card as much as he did and didn’t do for us in the games he played absolutely made the right decision. 

sark is wrong on this, worried about hits? Slides are good and sack avoidance is great. polished passers who can wiggle and run, run and wiggle is the future of the position and that future is now.