Hudson Card

Neonmoon

Just now, lilMAC25 said:

So what? He took advantage and took us down the field. Clutch as fuck for once.

I’m giving him credit, and Card has definitely come through a few times this year. His issue is his lack of consistent execution.
It would be nice if he could think on his feet and improvise more often, but if he made the routine plays consistently he probably wouldn’t need to do anything crazy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I’m giving him credit, and Card has definitely come through a few times this year. His issue is his lack of consistent execution.
It would be nice if he could think on his feet and improvise more often, but if he made the routine plays consistently he probably wouldn’t need to do anything crazy. 

That’s a good description, but again, putting this loss at Card’s feet is silly. That’s my point (and that he lead us down the field when it mattered to tie it up).

• Hook 'Em 2

I’m a Card critic but he’s not responsible for the Tech loss.  The problem is this team needs a difference maker at QB to be successful and that’s the issue.  Opposing defenses don’t respect him and that puts tremendous pressure on the run game and limits the play book.  The one thing Card could do to really help the offense is run more often. He is fast and those extra QB runs would significantly open things up.  

Edited by stork642
  • Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, stork642 said:

I’m a Card critic but he’s not responsible for the Tech loss.  The problem is this team needs a difference maker at QB to be successful and that’s the issue.  Opposing defenses don’t respect him and that puts tremendous pressure on the run game and limits the play book.  The one thing Card could do to really help the offense is run more often. He is fast and those extra QB runs would significantly open things up.  

You just described like 95% of college teams.  Do you think UTSA would be as successful without Frank Harris?  What about USC without Caleb Williams?  Alabama has an L against Texas without Bryce Young leading them in the 4th quarter.   

VY, Colt, Mayfield, Hurts, Tebow, Burrow, Murray, Watson, Tua, Lawrence, etc etc etc.   

We are a long way off from Greg McElroy the Game Manager being able to lead a team to a national title - even Saban wouldn't have a lot of his titles without having difference makers at QB

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

The reason Texas is 2-2 with a L against Tech isn't on account of Card....it's 100% on the clueless goof calling the defense. At least Orlando pieced together one good season before opposing offensive coordinators figured him out, old Pete K doesn't know the difference between his ass and a hole in the ground. A large part of the second half collapses dating back to last season is complete ineptitude pertaining to defensive play calling. I was excited just like anyone else with Pete's hire he had an impressive resume, for whatever reason he's not getting the job done here. Patterson should assume his duties from 2023 onward.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Chad said:

The reason Texas is 2-2 with a L against Tech isn't on account of Card....it's 100% on the clueless goof calling the defense. At least Orlando pieced together one good season before opposing offensive coordinators figured him out, old Pete K doesn't know the difference between his ass and a hole in the ground. A large part of the second half collapses dating back to last season is complete ineptitude pertaining to defensive play calling. I was excited just like anyone else with Pete's hire he had an impressive resume, for whatever reason he's not getting the job done here. Patterson should assume his duties from 2023 onward.

Not to beat a dead horse, but this one falls at the feet of Sark. Sark made the mistake of hedging his bet that Muschamp was IN and started to hire around that notion. Then, Muschamp says no and Sark had to scramble because he had already hired position coaches. However seemingly small, that action has caused the pain points in this coaching regime/program. Sark has the talent and may be able to climb out of this hole, but his background doesn't bode well for that to happen. It could happen, but it's going to take Sark's best coaching effort if he has plans to stick around.

Mack was a bitch towards the end and made it difficult to show him the gratitude and appreciation he felt he was owed, but I respect his tenure here more and more the further we get from 2009. That being said, Sark needs to take a step back and look at his program to date if he has any plans on being around longer than 4 years. Cut your losses and find the right fit, even if it means cutting good position coaches. This program, more than anything, needs stability. 🤘

PS - Please for the love of all things holy, spread out the defense and let your RBs/TEs/WRs move into space. Bunching them up on the line isn't stopping defenses from getting penetration and it would be much easier for you to move the pocket and create open lanes for any offensive player to run/throw/catch. Show bunch, spread out wide, then run your motions...profit???

• Hook 'Em 1

I am NO Pete fan, but Tech went for it 8 times on 4th down because they have 0 fear of our offense hurting them with a short field. If we have a functional offense they punt and we aren't having this discussion. This is gonna keep happening to us until we punish teams for giving us a short field. Simple as that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Holy fuck. 3rd and 3, Texas at their 40. Game tied at 31-31.

Card rolls right. They blitz 2 from the left side and bring their safety up late to cover Whittington. So at the snap, they have every defender within the distance between the LOS and 1st down line.

Helm runs across the field with no one within 20 yards of him, and Card just locks onto Whittington at the 1st down marker, which he throws late and out of bounds. Helm should have had 2 TDs in this game with a above average QB.

This is why the offense struggles. He just can't process 3 receivers against 4 defenders on the boundary side of the formation.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 5

17 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Holy fuck. 3rd and 3, Texas at their 40. Game tied at 31-31.

Card rolls right. They blitz 2 from the left side and bring their safety up late to cover Whittington. So at the snap, they have every defender within the distance between the LOS and 1st down line.

Helm runs across the field with no one within 20 yards of him, and Card just locks onto Whittington at the 1st down marker, which he throws late and out of bounds. Helm should have had 2 TDs in this game with a above average QB.

This is why the offense struggles. He just can't process 3 receivers against 4 defenders on the boundary side of the formation.

That play is a microcosm of who card is and sark knows that I’m pretty sure. He schemes wide open plays and card still fucks it up. That TD pass to worthy was a shit throw. His stats are because of sarks scheme not in spite of it, Casey Thompson put up some monster numbers for the same reason. They both suck. If we have to lean on a QB like that in a big moment against a rival that’s got some momentum…we’re fucked. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Not that it matters but…

KState still beat OU. And I’ve seen Martinez play I think for 20 years. Hudson’s injured and in the middle of the pack basically so that should have been enough to beat an outmanned Tech team. That loss is on Sark.  So frustrating. Ughhh.obviously Kansas has the best QB  of the bunch over 4 games. I’m sure Ewers would be in the top 3 if he’d not been injured. Hopefully, that would make a difference moving forward when he’s back…but if not it’s on Steve. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

That play is a microcosm of who card is and sark knows that I’m pretty sure. He schemes wide open plays and card still fucks it up. That TD pass to worthy was a shit throw. His stats are because of sarks scheme not in spite of it, Casey Thompson put up some monster numbers for the same reason. They both suck. If we have to lean on a QB like that in a big moment against a rival that’s got some momentum…we’re fucked. 

Yep. At some point you have to wonder if Card really knows the playbook and where his outlet receivers are on any given play.

Not that it matters but…
KState still beat OU. And I’ve seen Martinez play I think for 20 years. Hudson’s injured and in the middle of the pack basically so that should have been enough to beat an outmanned Tech team. That loss is on Sark.  So frustrating. Ughhh.obviously Kansas has the best QB  of the bunch over 4 games. I’m sure Ewers would be in the top 3 if he’d not been injured. Hopefully, that would make a difference moving forward when he’s back…but if not it’s on Steve. 

Where’s the Tech qb that our defense made look like John Elway back there on the list?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Yep. At some point you have to wonder if Card really knows the playbook and where his outlet receivers are on any given play.

It has nothing with being smart or not. Card just isn't a natural QB. I don't know whether it's because he's a former WR or the fact that he relied on his athleticism while developing in high school, but he just doesn't have a high level of anticipation or that improvisational gene in the pass game. Maybe he'd function a bit better in a true spread offense or in an offense that incorporated his ability to run, but he needs a system with more binary reads than what we have under Sark. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 5

10 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Y’all are something else.

I get your opinion on this. However, I personally think that we have had such bad QB play here that we have forgotten what a good one looks like. Look around. What other Blue Blood program has gone this long without putting out a QB with NFL starting potential? Look East to Bama and LSU. Look north to OU. USC? tOSU? Everyone is getting quality QB play and our last big time QB was Vincent Paul Young. Colt put up a heck of a fight, but we all knew he had deficiencies. The Ehlingers of the world are supposed to be our floor not our ceiling. That being said I get that you think Card performed solidly, but that is not my take. Card started out ok. 

8:10(on the gameclock not video) in the 3rd mark play action Card is waiting for something to develop downfield. A rusher comes free and he doesn't feel it. If he bails to his right the tight end is open for an easy throw. 

7:20 mark he slides up in the pocket for an easy throw

6:32 holding call

6:29 short dump off

5:35 runs for first

Bijan breaks a run TD

1:55 trips boundary bunch set TE is open for a back shoulder but he doesn't pull the trigger. Same series 3rd and 8 interior pressure. 

9:43 in the 4th backed up against our end zone we take a deep shot but look at Cain underneath. A good play design as he gets lost coming across the formation. A soft pass with anticipation would get 20 yards.  Now its 3rd and 10 and you are dead in the water and have to punt from your own ez. They get a short field and score. 

6:46 top of the formation TE works to the outside and is open but Card stares down the receiver and luckily we get a flag. 

5:38 3rd and 3. Bottom of the screen the TE leaks out and is open but Card never looks that way and doesn't anticipate it pre snap. Punt

But these are the plays that I see. These misses lead to short fields for opponents and punts for us. The play design had someone come free each time but we didn't see them. This is the kind of film Card puts out, and the reason opposing defenses are playing the way they are. Until we can take advantage of some of the routes built in we will get teams crowding the box and going for it on 4th down because they don't think we can sustain long drives. It can't all be busted plays and explosives. We have to be able to hit on the available 5 to 10 yarders built into the play. 

Edited by Thatguy
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 12:09 PM, Laxtonto said:

Card does well if you allow a simple one or two read pattern with both options on the same side of the formation. That worked well enough early to the backs and WRs for shorter dumps.

Exactly this. He's like another Tyrone Swoopes in a way where the offensive schemes have to be very simple. 

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I get your opinion on this. However, I personally think that we have had such bad QB play here that we have forgotten what a good one looks like. Look around. What other Blue Blood program has gone this long without putting out a QB with NFL starting potential? Look East to Bama and LSU. Look north to OU. USC? tOSU? Everyone is getting quality QB play and our last big time QB was Vincent Paul Young. Colt put up a heck of a fight, but we all knew he had deficiencies. The Ehlingers of the world are supposed to be our floor not our ceiling. That being said I get that you think Card performed solidly, but that is not my take. Card started out ok. 

8:10(on the gameclock not video) in the 3rd mark play action Card is waiting for something to develop downfield. A rusher comes free and he doesn't feel it. If he bails to his right the tight end is open for an easy throw. 

Bijan breaks a run TD

1:55 trips boundary bunch set TE is open for a back shoulder but he doesn't pull the trigger. Same series 3rd and 8 interior pressure. 

9:43 in the 4th backed up against our end zone we take a deep shot but look at Cain underneath. A good play design as he gets lost coming across the formation. A soft pass with anticipation would get 20 yards.  Now its 3rd and 10 and you are dead in the water and have to punt from your own ez. They get a short field and score. 

6:46 top of the formation TE works to the outside and is open but Card stares down the receiver and luckily we get a flag. 

5:38 3rd and 3. Bottom of the screen the TE leaks out and is open but Card never looks that way and doesn't anticipate it pre snap. Punt

But these are the plays that I see. These misses lead to short fields for opponents and punts for us. The play design had someone come free each time but we didn't see them. This is the kind of film Card puts out, and the reason opposing defenses are playing the way they are. Until we can take advantage of some of the routes built in we will get teams crowding the box and going for it on 4th down because they don't think we can sustain long drives. It can't all be busted plays and explosives. We have to be able to hit on the available 5 to 10 yarders built into the play. 

Now do the defense. Do the OL. Do the RoCat runs. Do the Roschon fumble

this was 100% a team loss.

13 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Yeah this is the frustrating part.  Sark's scheme absolutely works, the big plays and TD were there but Card just can't, consistently. 

Help us Quinn, you're our only hope. 

• Hook 'Em 4

9 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Bijan breaks a run TD

I think this play is a good illustration of the issues. Card has decided to throw to Bijan, despite the tight coverage Helm is wide open for at least a 1st down. Texas fails to get a first down here. Kicks the FG

image.thumb.png.f813b4b6b77d38fe0d58edfe793a0904.png

Edited by Codaxx
  • Rage+1 4

3rd down play. That ball needs to out here. 
image.thumb.png.ea70a98717b6c705ee159f5895a155de.png
It does not come out until here. Texas punts and Tech kicks the FG to go up 3
image.thumb.png.97662a83a425121f9ca3eb21cd529553.png

In the first photo, I’d agree that’s when you want it out of the hand, but where exactly is he going to throw it? The Tech guy covering Sanders can deflect it, pick it, knock it down until more separation is created. Do you want some air on it? Unlikely. My guess is he wants to throw but feels that window at that time is not open. And based on that still shot its defensible.

Part of this is a play design issue. You’ve got 3 pass catchers on that side with an almost never used TE to the weakside so you’ve already brought more defenders in before rollout. Why motion Sanders over if Whitt is the primary? Serves no purpose unless Sanders is the primary. Also, that’s better if the ball is on the left hash because that’s an additional 7 yards to work.

Yes Helm is wide open but it’s a full sprint right. The backside rusher was unblocked so there’s no time to stop and check backside so he’ll have to throw backside without necessarily seeing the field while fading right. Risky. In the photo I don’t see Helm so at that point he’s trailing. If he looks back, he’s now lost Whitt as an option because there isn’t time for that due to backside pressure.

Helm is the 4th option in my opinion. I’m going Sanders, Whitt, run option then back to Helm. If you leave Sanders, drag him, have Helm block the backside to create some space backside, then Whitt is a cleaner look and likely fewer defenders for a run option and Sanders is a bigger, faster backside option.

Yep. Thing of it is, if you want to critique players, you’ll find tons of stuff that says what the hell are you doing if you go through the video running it slow mo, stopping it, screen shotting it.

And you know sometimes the decision process is reasonable, but it doesn’t work.

And it does strike me odd that an olineman whiffs, but it’s the QBs fault. No one ever gets sacked or throws it away.

2 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

30 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

In the first photo, I’d agree that’s when you want it out of the hand, but where exactly is he going to throw it? The Tech guy covering Sanders can deflect it, pick it, knock it down until more separation is created. Do you want some air on it? Unlikely. My guess is he wants to throw but feels that window at that time is not open. And based on that still shot its defensible.

Part of this is a play design issue. You’ve got 3 pass catchers on that side with an almost never used TE to the weakside so you’ve already brought more defenders in before rollout. Why motion Sanders over if Whitt is the primary? Serves no purpose unless Sanders is the primary. Also, that’s better if the ball is on the left hash because that’s an additional 7 yards to work.

Yes Helm is wide open but it’s a full sprint right. The backside rusher was unblocked so there’s no time to stop and check backside so he’ll have to throw backside without necessarily seeing the field while fading right. Risky. In the photo I don’t see Helm so at that point he’s trailing. If he looks back, he’s now lost Whitt as an option because there isn’t time for that due to backside pressure.

Helm is the 4th option in my opinion. I’m going Sanders, Whitt, run option then back to Helm. If you leave Sanders, drag him, have Helm block the backside to create some space backside, then Whitt is a cleaner look and likely fewer defenders for a run option and Sanders is a bigger, faster backside option.

Helm comes completely free and all 11 other defenders are occupied. If he is willing to take a little contact any ball floated in that general direction is going for 20 as there is no defender near him. If you are a calm, solid QB who knows the playbook as soon as you see those guys release off the edge you know because of what they showed you pre snap that he is going to be wide the hell open. Just square your shoulders around and toss one out in front of him and let him run under it. Let me show you what he was looking at pre snap next post. 

Screenshot (246).png

Screenshot (247).png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 players in the box and Sanders pulls the safety over when he goes in motion. You HAVE to know you have a winner here. Find a way to get it to him. There are guys open in Sark's scheme but Card isn't seeing them. Not much else to say about it besides that. 

Screenshot (248).png

Edited by Thatguy
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

He has 2 options. Helm is open, he doesn’t see him. JWhitt is open coming out of his break. There is a window. Ball needs to be thrown between numbers and the sideline. He isn’t throwing to spot where JWhitt is in the photo. JWhitt is moving. He misses Helm on the backside and he is late on JWhitt. See Helm and 1st down. Throw the out earlier and First down. It’s frustrating, because JWhitt is the primary WR. It didn’t require him to read the defense. Just throw it on time. Hell, even Sanders is open short of the chains (a bad decision,  but there is a chance he breaks a tackle and gets the 1st). Card took too long to make a decision 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

And lastly, this is exactly why he was ignored and snuck out undetected. 

12 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Bijan breaks a run TD

This was the one at the 6:46 mark I was talking about above. Sark has a natural pick built in or a "man buster" if you will. If Card knows the route all he has to do is throw him towards the sideline away from the safety and easy peasey. 

Screenshot (251).png

Screenshot (252).png

Screenshot (253).png

• Rage+1 3

But this is why I am not down on Sark's offense. There are wrinkles and levels built in. We are creatively using personnel we don't usually use like the Helm play that we missed on. Guys are wide open we are just missing them. We were missing them the same way last year as well. He has calls to beat zone and calls to beat man. The design of the line protections are good. I know a lot of people hate that we run inside but you can't play action if all you run is OZ and you are dropping straight back. I don't like play action off OZ because it exposes your QB to shots if the backside rusher doesn't bite on the fake. Think Ewer vs Bama for an example. 

• Hook 'Em 4

But this is why I am not down on Sark's offense. There are wrinkles and levels built in. We are creatively using personnel we don't usually use like the Helm play that we missed on. Guys are wide open we are just missing them. We were missing them the same way last year as well. He has calls to beat zone and calls to beat man. The design of the line protections are good. I know a lot of people hate that we run inside but you can't play action if all you run is OZ and you are dropping straight back. I don't like play action off OZ because it exposes your QB to shots if the backside rusher doesn't bite on the fake. Think Ewer vs Bama for an example. 

I got it. You have all the answers. Congrats.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Yeah, I just keep reminding myself that Card got beat out by Casey fucking Thompson. The hopes were a 2nd year in the offense and Card would have a better grasp of things. He is still worse than Casey Thompson was last year.

As Bobby said earlier this week, with Card, Texas goes into every remaining Big 12 game with a disadvantage at QB except maybe ISU.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Bijan breaks a run TD

Shane Buchele, Sam ehlinger , garret Gilbert are all in the nfl…

17 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Colt had deficiencies? Are you fucking stupid?

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Shane Buchele, Sam ehlinger , garret Gilbert are all in the nfl…

And all are standing on the sideline for various reasons right? Garrett is a 6'4 prototypical NFL QB with the proper amount of arm strength but can't get playing time right? Shane is a baseball kid with a good arm but lost out to freshman Ehlinger right? There are reasons why. No two offensive systems are the same. Those guys flourished in a wide open spread attack where reads are easy to make, but did not play well here, and are not getting opportunities in the NFL. Ehlinger is a lot like Colt. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Here's the first time I ever saw him, the 6A 2017 State title game: Lake Travis vs Allen. Matthew Baldwin goes down the first play with a torn ACL; enter Hudson Card. 

A backup QB who runs out of pocket at first sign of pressure,  bailed out on some passes by extraordinary receiver play,  throws into heavy pressure for incompletions, a couple of completed 7 yrd throws, an interception at crucial moment, and ultimately a loss.   So basically Card of 2017 is essentially the same as Card 2022.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

A backup QB who runs out of pocket at first sign of pressure,  bailed out on some passes by extraordinary receiver play,  throws into heavy pressure for incompletions, a couple of completed 7 yrd throws, an interception at crucial moment, and ultimately a loss.   So basically Card of 2017 is essentially the same as Card 2022.

image.gif.8cd9eb82b7222ffa3be35cc6e6abbcdd.gif

11 hours ago, Had Enough said:

I got it. You have all the answers. Congrats.

Lol. Yes, he isn't as bad as he was last year. I will agree with you there. However, when you are a team with an O-line of young guys a QB has to stabilize the offense. Otherwise your already underwhelming O-line is going to see loaded boxes. If we could run it this wouldn't be as big a factor, but we cannot. So we need a QB who can throw us out of the kind of defensive game plans we are currently seeing so Bijan and crew have a fighting chance. It is what it is.