Anyone else out of fucks to give?

Fondren & Main

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I've been checking out slowly over the last five years or so.  I used to plan Saturdays around games and get grumpy if something conflicted with a game.  For the last few years, I only get a twinge of that, come to my senses and thing "not missing anything," and am usually right.

Losses like this don't really piss me off anymore, I'm now more curious about the hiring process and the coaching process and what leads to this kind of thing.

I checked out for years but being recently retired I started to care more. I'm starting to think this was a bad retirement plan. 

My question on the hiring process is how we keep ending up with good coaches in other sports but not football? 

5 minutes ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

Booster fuckery and dork university admin who believe they know more than you and i.

If Beard wins at Texas, it should be obvious to everyone there's something unique to the hiring process in football. 

Even if we can't agree on what the problem is maybe we can all at least realize there's something rotten about the hiring process in football.  

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

If Beard wins at Texas, it should be obvious to everyone there's something unique to the hiring process in football. 

Even if we can't agree on what the problem is maybe we can all at least realize there's something rotten about the hiring process in football.  

i don't think we have to wait.  the last 3 coaching hires demonstrated football is fucked beyond repair.

proof:

1.) right after mack, our top targets said hell no, so we settle for strong (our 5th choice).  the athletic dept stench was obvious and top-tier coaches noticed. 

2.) right after strong, our "national search" led us all the way to houston texas for bitch tits, grilled up, immature mensa shit stain.  the athletic dept stench was still there as the houston boosters got their way to fan boi the herman hire.  immature coach to fuck us deeper into the hole.

3.) right after herman, more coaching targets told us "hello no, pass".  so we settle once again, hoping a coaching retread could stabilize the program.  after 13 years of suck and 2 conference titles in 26 years, opponents clown the texas clown show because the athletic department is dysfunctional and doesn't know how to build a winning program-- bad coaching hires, arguments about stupid shit (like the eyes of texas), brand/marketing $$$ prioritized over wins, top golf stadium expansion...should i continue?

• Hook 'Em 2

TLDR version: attended 2006 Rose Bowl and it was amazing. 16 years later I am much older and life is happening. Grand babies are coming and friends are starting to pass away from midlife causes.  I love my Horns but there is too much real life shit causing me to question my own mortality and what is truly important to me is much more than what is happening on the field. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

i don't think we have to wait.  the last 3 coaching hires demonstrated football is fucked beyond repair.

proof:

1.) right after mack, our top targets said hell no, so we settle for strong (our 5th choice).  the athletic dept stench was obvious and top-tier coaches noticed. 

2.) right after strong, our "national search" led us all the way to houston texas for bitch tits, grilled up, immature mensa shit stain.  the athletic dept stench was still there as the houston boosters got their way to fan boi the herman hire.  immature coach to fuck us deeper into the hole.

3.) right after herman, more coaching targets told us "hello no, pass".  so we settle once again, hoping a coaching retread could stabilize the program.  after 13 years of suck and 2 conference titles in 26 years, opponents clown the texas clown show because the athletic department is dysfunctional and doesn't know how to build a winning program-- bad coaching hires, arguments about stupid shit (like the eyes of texas), brand/marketing $$$ prioritized over wins, top golf stadium expansion...should i continue?

Who were the first four after we fired Mack?

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

And yet, he won a fuck ton of football games at Texas.

That's because you don't need a great coach at Texas to win but somehow we've found a way to hire 3 coaches worse than Mack. 

Even if you exclude the success Mack had at Texas he was much more accomplished than Strong, Herman, or Sark. It's baffling to me how Texas continues to hire coaches with little to no pedigree in football. 

The only curse Texas has is our inability to hire good coaches in football. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redswingline said:

ownsupply.jpg.6d1f7227eea6afd909c69502c611abb6.jpg

How would you summarize the last 4 Texas hires? Based on their entire careers. 

*Mack. A very good coach but I wouldn't say great coach. 

*Strong. Terrible and only had success with a unicorn at QB. Fell flat on his face at Texas and USF. 

*Herman. Above average but with major personal problems.  

*Sark. Mediocre but I'm starting to lean towards terrible. 

I don't think it takes a "great" coach to win at Texas. Our problem is we can't even swing "above average" with hires. If Sark fails here, all 3 of our recent hires could be done as head coaches in college football. 

28 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Who were the first four after we fired Mack?

Based on published reports about Patterson, the candidates included:

1.) Nick Saban

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/nick-saban-mack-brown-tom-hicks-texas-regent/

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/paul-finebaum-reveals-why-nick-saban-really-turned-down-replacing-mack-brown-at-texas/

2.) Art Briles

3.) Jim Mora

4.) Jimbo

5.) James Franlin

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/01/03/texas-coaching-job-charlie-strong-art-briles-jim-mora/4308307/

"Patterson has taken over the search following recommendation of four candidates by a private firm: Strong, Briles, Vanderbilt's James Franklin and Florida State's Jimbo Fisher."

And we know this is more than likely solid info because the private firm was Korn/Ferry.  They invoiced Texas for the privilege to suggest candidates, like we're IBM hiring some dipshit executive IT talent.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/04/03/texas-coach-search-outside-consultants/7258411/

Edited by Shaggy3.0

13 minutes ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

Based on published reports about Patterson, the candidates included:

1.) Nick Saban

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/nick-saban-mack-brown-tom-hicks-texas-regent/

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/paul-finebaum-reveals-why-nick-saban-really-turned-down-replacing-mack-brown-at-texas/

2.) Art Briles

3.) Jim Mora

4.) Jimbo

5.) James Franlin

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/01/03/texas-coaching-job-charlie-strong-art-briles-jim-mora/4308307/

"Patterson has taken over the search following recommendation of four candidates by a private firm: Strong, Briles, Vanderbilt's James Franklin and Florida State's Jimbo Fisher."

And we know this is more than likely solid info because the private firm was Korn/Ferry.  They invoiced Texas for the privilege to suggest candidates, like we're IBM hiring some dipshit executive IT talent.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/04/03/texas-coach-search-outside-consultants/7258411/

Korn Ferry can’t even get run-of-the-mill FP&A placements right

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Bedlam.

Gundy reminds me a lot of Mack. 

Built a good program at UNC/Oklahoma State but needed a better talent base to take the next step. I would be much more thrilled with Gundy than any of our last 3 hires. He has a proven pedigree and there's room for growth because of recruiting at Texas. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

23 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

How would you summarize the last 4 Texas hires? Based on their entire careers. 

*Mack. A very good coach but I wouldn't say great coach. 

*Strong. Terrible and only had success with a unicorn at QB. Fell flat on his face at Texas and USF. 

*Herman. Above average but with major personal problems.  

*Sark. Mediocre but I'm starting to lean towards terrible. 

I don't think it takes a "great" coach to win at Texas. Our problem is we can't even swing "above average" with hires. If Sark fails here, all 3 of our recent hires could be done as head coaches in college football. 

Mack is like the 7th winningest coach in CFB history. I’d give my left nut to go 10-2 every year again. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

It's incredible to me that the last 3 hires included 3 coaches that never produced a double digit win season in a power conference prior to Texas. 

We deserve all the misery because these hires make no sense. I'll settle for any coach that's proven some level of success at the highest level. 

7 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Football was allowed to get the stink of loser on it and it's a long road back to respectable winner. It starts with having Ewers playing. He changes so much and the offense without Ewers, Neyor, and Worthy just wasn't going to beat anyone. Worthy going out killed all of our offense. 

I mentioned something similar in another post.  Our time of possession today was a few seconds over 24 minutes.  We have the best RB in the country.  If we just used him and the others more than 30 carries combined maybe we eat more clock, keep Tech offense off the field, and give our D a little rest.  If/when we get Quinn back we might have a few series where we take 2 or 3 downs to go to the house with his arm, but he would open up the choice to run or pass with both being close to equal.  Losing stars on either side of the ball hurts in ways we don't think about.

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Gundy reminds me a lot of Mack. 

Built a good program at UNC/Oklahoma State but needed a better talent base to take the next step. I would be much more thrilled with Gundy than any of our last 3 hires. He has a proven pedigree and there's room for growth because of recruiting at Texas. 

And he hired a DC that had them top 10 in defense last year, something Texas hasn't seen since ??

• Hook 'Em 1

Mostly just going through the motions lately. Game day used to encompass 2 hours of LHN pre game and 2 hours of post game so practically half the day. Now I just watch the game. I couldn’t watch UTSA so I recorded it and still haven’t watched it.

And then we have the Monday coach press conferences. I don’t even remember how long I’ve been doing those threads but I’m ready to end that run. It was entertaining under Mack and Strong but now not so much.

Like many above, I’ve adjusted my attitude and weekend schedules around football season.

6 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Gundy would never happen but he's far better than the last 3 coaches Texas has hired. 

I am on the Gundy bus if urban is a no. Sark gets 3 years but the trend is already there unfortunately

i really like sark and want him to be successful but anything less than 6 to 7 wins is a failure. 

With young kids and activities, I'm rarely able to watch live anymore.

These days I'll avoid the score and turn on the recording later to watch and see if we look focused or like dogshit.

Yesterday watching the recording around halftime, we were up by 14 but our defense was doing nothing to stop them and our offense had started completely stalling out.  The pattern felt familiar, so I paused the game and looked up the final score.  Turned it off and was glad I didn't waste any more of my day on it.

If it wasn't for Ewers coming back, I'm not sure I'd watch again this season.  I do think we're a different team with him, so I'll watch to see, but I'm not sure how that will help the defense.  Tech's offense had been abysmal this year.  I was an optimist on PK even after last year because of his long track record of success.  You can only have so many games where offenses that have been struggling look extremely efficient before you acknowledge your defense is easy to beat.

Outside of the bama game, this team is just not fun to watch.  The passion, play calling and execution all have a nails on chalkboard feel.  If it's not fun, why invest the time?

The bama game makes it worse, because it actually proved we have the talent to hang with anyone.  What we've seen since then is our coaches consistently fail to motivate and scheme up our talent outside of huge opponents, and most weeks we look like a talented team who could give a shit about the game they're playing.  Before anyone gets up in arms, there are obvious exceptions like Rojo who seem to bring it every game, but if the whole of our team played every week like they did against bama, we blow the doors off utsa and tech from the whistle.  This shit is just not worth watching anymore.

Edited by Bill Lumbergh
  • Hook 'Em 5

The wife and I were talking about our plans for the weekend of the 8th since we have friends coming into town. She pointed out that we would miss the OU game. I shrugged. I simply cannot care anymore. I will not schedule any life events anymore around watching Texas football. I will just read the post game commentary about the loss. 

• Hook 'Em 3

It’s hard for me to give up. But yesterday was a reminder that we’re more like the 2021 Longhorns than some improved version we thought we’d be getting after the Alabama game, and I’m not sure if Quinn Ewers (and then Arch Manning) will make a huge difference. My kids don’t care to go to the games anymore, and because my 78-year-old dad is having a harder time getting around, he’s good for maybe two games a season. So I’m going to struggle this off-season with whether I renew my season tickets, which I’ve had since 1996.