ztejas sucks

ztejas

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

A head coach can correct mistakes with bad hires but Sark has already had to fire the wide receivers coach and now most of the defensive staff needs to be replaced.

When a head coach misses this badly on initial hires it's not a good sign. It's why I didn't expect anything different with Herman or Strong after all the staff changes. The problem starts at the top.  

Not sure his missed because apparently Muschamp was the initial hire but his wife killed it so Sark was batting for the fences there.  PK was the backup plan.  As I remember there were a bunch of Surly experts talking very positive about the hire at that time.  I know we all want to be angry at the coaches but when the tech defensive line is just walking past our oline like yesterday any offense won’t work.  The Dline is better than last year but there still doesn’t have a difference maker.  Both lines just aren’t good so unless you have a difference maker on offense or defense we are looking at .500 this year.  Ewers clearly looks like a difference maker and should help hide a lot of the teams deficiencies.  If he can stay healthy the rest of the year that might get us to 8 wins if things go our way.  But I’m not holding my breath.   

Edited by stork642

17 minutes ago, Otter said:

A buddy just texted this to me:

"Longhorns have dropped to 3-7 in Big 12 games under Steve Sarkisian."

Please tell me that I'm actually dead and this is my punishment in Hell.

We’ll, after a pretty shitastic Saturday, I have to say there is no god.  So, yeah, hell is probably the right conclusion.

Edited by 89Horn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, stork642 said:

Not sure his missed because apparently Mushchamp was the initial hire but his wife killed it so Sark was batting for the fences there.  PK was the backup plan.  As I remember there were a bunch of Surly experts talking very positive about the hire at that time.  I know we all want to be angry at the coaches but when the tech defensive line is just walking past our oline like yesterday any offense won’t work.  The Dline is better than last year but there still doesn’t have a difference maker.  Both lines just aren’t good so unless you have a difference maker on offense or defense we are looking at .500 this year.  Ewers clearly looks like a difference maker and should help hide a lot of the teams deficiencies.  If he can stay healthy the rest of the year that might get us to 8 wins if things go our way.  But I’m not holding my breath.   

PK haD a good enough resume   I don’t blame one yard sark for hiring him.  I blame him for retaining him this second year  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, RetiredBagman said:

I was not online when Texas got crushed against Ou with Mack in charge. Knowing the success he had in those years of 10 wins a year, was that enough at the time for him? Would it be enough for Sark to some how pull off 10 wins this year?

The conference wasn't as tough back then and Mack has been on record as saying that scheduling big OOC opponents didn't make sense to him.  Remember he didn't schedule the tOSU series, etc.  Your second question, will we win ten games this year?  Are we playing a 20 game schedule?

Here are the losses that Sark has already piled up-

WV '21 (6-7)

Kansas '21 (2-10)

Iowa State '21 (7-6)

Texas Tech '22 (FPI projects 6.1 wins and 6-6 looks about right)

That's 4 bad losses already. WV is only projected to win 4.9 games this year according to FPI. It's  a fireable offense to lose to WV with the other 4 losses already occurring. It's one thing to lose games but to have 5 losses to that caliber of competition would be pathetic. 

You have to look at context. We had some wrinkles that worked and got us out and going. Teams make adjustments, then players need to make plays. Look at our drive chart in the second half and then tell me again how Card played a nice clean game. We couldn't move the football in the second half. Sure he made a solid throw to force overtime, but we don't even need that if we didn't have only 138 yards all the second half on six total drives. We needed to make plays and we didn't. 

I assure you I look at context.

The very first drive of half 2. No first downs. 3 runs, 1 completion. How is that on the QB? The throw? Most likely a predetermine read. An incredibly pivotal drive.

2nd drive. TD. Excellent management by Card. Two + plays on his part.

3rd drive. An incompletion. A run for little. Not totally sure on 3rd but think it was porous pass pro resulting in a dump off to RoJo.

4th drive. We got the ball on the 1. Run first. Not a great throw but a very catchable one to Whitt. Probably an easier catch than the Tech dude into double coverage on 3rd and long. 3rd down not a good throw but not a great adjustment by Milton either. This was an odd sequencing of plays. Play action on 1st, bleed Helm out. Sark won’t do that. Maybe it’s too easy a read and throw for the QB. A deep shot is better tried on 1st rather than 2nd and 10.

5th drive. Runs on 1st and 2nd. Then the miss to Whitt. Card missed but he also gave Whitt a chance. This was after run on 1st and 2nd the PI.

6th drive. 46 yards in 20 seconds.

OT. No passes.

The greatest QB season of all-time misses 1 out of 5 throws. When that happens, you likely get more great catches than drops. Yesterday, we had one drop. We had two others that you see caught all day, every Saturday of the year. That was 100 yards of offense, 3 first downs.

In our two losses, there have been 4 halves. We’ve been in position to score on all 4 and would have except for a missed 20 yarder. That’s growth.

He’s easily more decisive when he runs. He’s also making quicker decisions in the pass game. He even showed movement in the pocket then delivered big pass plays yesterday.

None of the drives above indicate it was all about Card and he failed. You will have unsuccessful drives when you rely on a QB to make good on his only legit throw of the drive. It’s just hard to make them. Incidentally there were no runs for first downs except Bijans TD run in this half.

I do think when Ewers returns the offense will open. For now and then, Worthy is #1 on the list for picking his game up.

32 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

The problem many of us have with what's been going on with this team for far too long is that we grew up in Texas, rooting for the best coaches and best talent around at both the university (UT) and professional (Cowboys) level. Landry and Royal teams were always prepared. Those two coaches almost never made technical mistakes such as when to stop the clock, when to punt, etc, and they always had a great play up their sleeve when the chips were down.

The fucking Tech coach was begging for us to put him away in the third quarter when he gave us the ball at midfield in his first possession of the half. The offensive game plan looked like it was put together by a losing high school coach - for mediocre high school players.

Where was the play action? Where was the deception? Pump fakes, anyone? You've got speed, you've got power. You've got a very solid QB, and you go to the fucking Wildcard in desperation? Even though in 2 previous attempts it fell flat on its face? I didn't see Tech pulling their QB on the critical downs. 

I thought we had a coach who was in control - who knew what he was doing. He got his ass kicked by an under-manned coach, yesterday. Seems to me the Tech coach made some great adjustments. Why couldn't we counter those? It's called "knowing football."

If that shit is going to continue, then just give us Patterson. You think Manning is going to stick around if this shit show continues?

If??? Dude is this your first season? He blew 3 straight games in a row last year doing the same no adjustments shit. This is the 4th game we had a lead and lost the game in the second half. 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Card sucked, especially in the second half.  The D sucked, especially in the second half.  Bijan fumbled in OT.  There is a ton of blame to go around.

I'm inclined to put most on PK because the defensive suckage was mostly scheme-related.  Card and Bijan made their mistakes all on their own. 

The D was gassed since there was shitty play calling by the HC/OC. Yes Bijan fumbled but we didn’t use him near enough in Q4, despite having a rested OL , no short screens , nothing but mostly failed deep balls, and a kick as RB sitting around. Not going for in late in Q4 at midfield w/ Bijan on the team was kinda stupid when you are watching your lead melt away and you turtle up.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, RetiredBagman said:

I was not online when Texas got crushed against Ou with Mack in charge. Knowing the success he had in those years of 10 wins a year, was that enough at the time for him? Would it be enough for Sark to some how pull off 10 wins this year?

Sark has never won 10 games in a season in his career. He won’t even win 5 this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

The problem many of us have with what's been going on with this team for far too long is that we grew up in Texas, rooting for the best coaches and best talent around at both the university (UT) and professional (Cowboys) level.

Welcome to my life. Not only did I grow up a Cowboys and Longhorn fan, my high school won the city champsionship most years, including while I was there, my junior high was the same, hell even my pop warner league football team won the championship. I grew up with the mindset that every team I rooted for won. Not only have the Cowboys and Longhorns gone down the drain, so has my high school and junior high.  I don't even want to go check on the little league team. I've had to re-orient my entire sports life outlook. It's been brutal.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Thatguy said:

We scored on a busted play where they didn't see the back out of the backfield. 7-0

We then kicked a field goal. 10-7

Scored on another busted play where X was wide open with no one around him. 17-14

Drop off a little dump pass to RoJo and he runs damn near from the 40 to the 7. Bijan takes it from there. 24-14

Bijan breaks one for a TD after Card scrambled for 20. 31-17

We did not execute regular offense on a consistent basis. 12, 10, and 6 were our longest drives of the game. We had 5 drives that didn't get a first down, and drives of 6, 5, and 4 outside of that. TOP was 25 mins to 33 and we only ran 60 plays to their 100. Tech was aggressive, going for it 8 times on 4th down because they were not afraid of our offense. If our offense is solid they kick half of those out of fear and we win easily. 

Defensively I am no PK fan, but I understand not rushing 4 or 5 all game if you have to cover 5 wide in man. Do you trust us in man vs Tech with the way our offense struggles? Because I don't. Some of their biggest gains came when we were rushing 4 or more. We brought pressure when they ran the same RB pass for a score that we did. We brought 5 on that TE 25 yd gain. We brought four on that TE pass up the seam to the 1. We brought four on their TE pass for a TD. Those are just the ones I recall. 

Bottom line, I think we will be fine once we get more productivity on offense. I may be dead wrong, but I think there is a huge difference between Ewers and Card. I think Ewers just does the things to move the chains, and if Tech sees that they back off on going for it everytime they get to 4th down. We just need to be able to move the football in a traditional manner. Right now if there isn't a busted play by the opposition, we just can't get first downs. 

It really looked to me like the more heat on the QB, the worse he was.

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

It's not a preconceived notion. It's what I see when I watch the kid play. 

I hated Herman before we ever hired him and pretty much didn't post through his entire tenure here. 

He was a cunt, and I assume he remains a cunt.  There wasn't a single thing about Tom Herman that didn't scream "asshole".

Edited by Gil Bang

7 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

That's the most embarrassing loss you've seen? You obviously weren't alive for the McWilliams or Mackovic eras. 

I would sacrifice a chicken to the football gods to have Mackovic as our head coach right now. At least he won a few conference championships.

• Hook 'Em 2

This thread was actually cathartic yesterday in the hours after the loss. First 3 pages were so rapid fire with hot takes and insults and opposing views it reminded me that it's a fucking game and we get out of it what we put into it and nothing more. I'd like to be happy one Saturday this season though so hopefully it's October 8th. 🤘🏻

Just now, Longboard Horn said:

Mackovic because conference titles. 

I don't know how Mackovic would do in today's era as mentioned above. That's really all Mackovic had on Herman is the conference titles. 

I would probably lean Herman but it's sad that Herman was maybe our 2nd best hire in the last 5 tries. 

• ztejas changed the title to ztejas sucks