Show me a third W on this schedule

Lucid

19 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

But can Ewers play Defense?

The team morale is different with Ewers at QB. The team rallies around him like they rallied around Donovan Smith today. 

We were a 10 win team after showing well against Bama, and now we're a 3 win team after an OT loss on the road against Tech. 

We were a 8-9 win team if healthy, Bijan is clearly hurt and playing tentatively, we lost Neyor and Angilau, we lost our high level starting QB, and now Worthy is hurt. I know we say next man up, but that's some bad injury luck. This team looked like a 5 win team in the 2nd half tonight.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I think there’s a lot of frustration today because Card did more than enough to win, and showed to be capable in ways that Sark was not willing to utilize; or worse, just too dumb to see. This game was lost by both Sark and PK with their calls.

Agree that Ewers is better suited for what Sark is stubbornly sticking with. Texas can beat OU with Ewers. OU isn’t special and having the better QB goes a long way. Unfortunately when you drop a game to one of the two worst opponents on your conference schedule, the possibility of competing for anything beyond that pretty much evaporates.

What is happening with this loss - and the way it happened in particular, because if it was just Card shitting the bed Arkansas style you can almost live with that by rationalizing that Sark was handicapped by a bad QB - is the majority of this board finally grasping that this program just isn’t going to compete for hardware with Sark running the show. The consistency just won’t be there.

Bullshit. We should have had 3 TDs on the our 1st 3 possessions. Card consistently missed the wide open underneath routes that would have kept the chains moving, instead of trying to get greedy.

I'm not defending the defense, but it was fine until the offense shit the bed in the 2nd half. Including getting a 4th down stop at Tech's 40 on their 1st possession coming out of half time, only for the offense to go 4 and out themselves without picking up 10 yards.

It's time to stop using the RoJoCat. The young OL isn't ready for it, as an average defense will run blitz the fuck out of it, especially since there is no real read.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Atticus said:

The team morale is different with Ewers at QB. The team rallies around him like they rallied around Donovan Smith today. 

We were a 10 win team after showing well against Bama, and now we're a 3 win team after an OT loss on the road against Tech. 

We were a 8-9 win team if healthy, Bijan is clearly hurt and playing tentatively, we lost Neyor and Angilau, we lost our high level starting QB, and now Worthy is hurt. I know we say next man up, but that's some bad injury luck. This team looked like a 5 win team in the 2nd half tonight.

The WR room went from elite to average in a little over a month. Whittington isn't scaring anyone. Injuries have robbed him of any elite athleticism he showed in HS. He's a chain mover, but the passing game is dead with Card and Whittington as the key players.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I think there’s a lot of frustration today because Card did more than enough to win, and showed to be capable in ways that Sark was not willing to utilize; or worse, just too dumb to see. This game was lost by both Sark and PK with their calls.

Agree that Ewers is better suited for what Sark is stubbornly sticking with. Texas can beat OU with Ewers. OU isn’t special and having the better QB goes a long way. Unfortunately when you drop a game to one of the two worst opponents on your conference schedule, the possibility of competing for anything beyond that pretty much evaporates.

What is happening with this loss - and the way it happened in particular, because if it was just Card shitting the bed Arkansas style you can almost live with that by rationalizing that Sark was handicapped by a bad QB - is the majority of this board finally grasping that this program just isn’t going to compete for hardware with Sark running the show. The consistency just won’t be there.

Until we lose with Ewers I’m going to assume the offensive consistency was standing on the sideline holding a clipboard. Card Is so limited. I’m fine with letting the season play out with our big guns. My entire hope for the year was improved QB play unlocking our offense. We have seeen that for 3 whole quarters and it has looked really good. 

What's the story on Ewers? When is he expected back? Someone in the thread mentioned that the attitude is just different with Ewers out there, and I would agree with that. Your leader on the field is missing and this causes even the defense to buckle up and get stops.

If Ewers is coming back soonish, you guys will recover.

Until we lose with Ewers I’m going to assume the offensive consistency was standing on the sideline holding a clipboard. Card Is so limited. I’m fine with letting the season play out with our big guns. My entire hope for the year was improved QB play unlocking our offense. We have seeen that for 3 whole quarters and it has looked really good. 

I know nothing about football schemes and what not I just watch it. They can’t just have card throw slants are 5 yard passes. Anything quick where he doesn’t have to think? Honest question. Or is he that bad they can’t even do that.

I see our defense and plenty others on TV that play soft coverage. It’s 3rd and 5 and the DBs are so far back. Is 3rd down not what it use to be? Try to stop them so you can get the ball back.

7 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Bullshit. We should have had 3 TDs on the our 1st 3 possessions. Card consistently missed the wide open underneath routes that would have kept the chains moving, instead of trying to get greedy.

I'm not defending the defense, but it was fine until the offense shit the bed in the 2nd half. Including getting a 4th down stop at Tech's 40 on their 1st possession coming out of half time, only for the offense to go 4 and out themselves without picking up 10 yards.

It's time to stop using the RoJoCat. The young OL isn't ready for it, as an average defense will run blitz the fuck out of it, especially since there is no real read.

Wtf…it was not fine. It was made worse by the offense shitting the bed the second half, but they spent way too much time on the field in the first half and it showed in the second half.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

My gut says the finish with 4 wins, but looking at the schedule I think it’ll be 3. We beat TCU, that’s it. Ewers makes no difference when your D is absolutely exposed. Kansas will best us by 2 or 3 TDs imo. OU will be … ugly 

Vagina alert, everybody.  Complete and utter gaping vagina alert right here.

• Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, Atticus said:

The team that played in the second half is a 5 win team at best. DC that sort of sucks, no playmakers outside and a QB you don’t trust. That’s a recipe to lose to a tech in Lubbock and any other road game on the schedule this year (including Kansas), while likely heating TCU, WVU and maybe someone else at home. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, utexas8 said:

I know nothing about football schemes and what not I just watch it. They can’t just have card throw slants are 5 yard passes. Anything quick where he doesn’t have to think? Honest question. Or is he that bad they can’t even do that.

I see our defense and plenty others on TV that play soft coverage. It’s 3rd and 5 and the DBs are so far back. Is 3rd down not what it use to be? Try to stop them so you can get the ball back.

His processing speed is terrible and he holds the ball too long. Go watch the long pass to Whittington last week for an example of just poor QB processing and poor decision making. He stared him down, he was a full second late, and he didn’t let it fly until he was confirmed to be 14 yards wide open. 
it’s why the staff takes deep shots he’s not good at- at least he’s throwing the ball up, even if it’s with a safety sitting in his target area. 
he’s bad at throwing swing pass type shit to the RB’s with the ball on their hands ready to run and make plays. If you had him throwing slants over the middle or 3 yard out routes he’d be a turnover machine because he doesn’t see the field. It’s bad. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I do think (maybe naively so) that Ewers coming back lights a different fire under this team.

But I truly cannot say that there is a single game we can win going forward. Tech was supposed to be the easy one. This defense couldnt stop my fat fucking ass on 3rd down. Good luck stopping someone on Okie Lite, OU, Baylor or Kansas.  Which btw, we are absolutely losing to Kansas unless their QB gets hurt or some shit.  That dude is going to put up 600 yards against us.

• Hook 'Em 1

The biggest problem is we have no bench.  The top 10-20 teams can lose a key player and plug-and-play the next guy, and after a short learning curve, they have minimal drop off.  We lose one player and the fucking wheels fall off instantly and there is no recovery.  This has been a problem for the past decade.  

• Hook 'Em 3

15 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

People this can’t understand this are fucking stupid. 

Honestly man, you should probably not call out anyone for being stupid. Watching you try to pump the koolaid this summer was embarrassing.

It made sense once I saw you had a vested interest in more enthusiasm for the program, but it was still embarrassing.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

The biggest problem is we have no bench.  The top 10-20 teams can lose a key player and plug-and-play the next guy, and after a short learning curve, they have minimal drop off.  We lose one player and the fucking wheels fall off instantly and there is no recovery.  This has been a problem for the past decade.  

Our biggest problem is coaching. Full stop.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I haven't rewatched, and probably won't because fuck that, so I am going to accept this as true for argument's sake. Maybe we should go hire a renowned QB developer to fix that, huh? What I am saying is that the source of the fan frustration coming out of yesterday is that a lot of folks are starting to grapple with the fact that Sark is not going to get it done for the first time. What you pointed out is not in conflict what that.

$6 million a year based on his reputation as an OC/QB coach and he can't get Card to check down. Let alone get his program to stop blowing two-score second half leads and conceding miracle victories to opponents. 

9 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

We'll win next week and probably beat OU

Yesterday was a bad loss. But it was on the road with our backup QB, our best defensive player out for a half, and our best WR out for a half.

We don't need to make a bad loss worse by being a bunch of pussies about it.

I do still think Texas can beat OU if Ewers and Worthy are healthy, so here's hoping. OU isn't anything special. But yesterday laid bare that this team is just not going to seriously compete for a conference championship, Ewers or no.

21 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Honestly man, you should probably not call out anyone for being stupid. Watching you try to pump the koolaid this summer was embarrassing.

It made sense once I saw you had a vested interest in more enthusiasm for the program, but it was still embarrassing.

If you couldn’t get excited with what you saw from Ewers you are dead inside. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I do still think Texas can beat OU if Ewers and Worthy are healthy, so here's hoping. OU isn't anything special. But yesterday laid bare that this team is just not going to seriously compete for a conference championship, Ewers or no.

Yeah but it looks no one is anything special in this conference this year. We can definitely compete for it imo. But I'll admit I know way more about basketball than I do about football so there's many here who have more insight into football than I do.

Not a fan of the D yesterday or the second half playcalling, but the team has a lot of talent. Can we make Patterson the DC soon? I think that would help tremendously. Dropping 8 guys back just isn't going to cut it. The D is decent when the playcalling is aggressive and not turtling.

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If you couldn’t get excited with what you saw from Ewers you are dead inside. 

Believing you need a generational QB to beat a bad Tech team trotting out their 2nd string QB is not very exciting.

Your savior isn’t a very good coach. Seems like a good guy, though.

Just now, MotownHorn said:

Gaining more yards and scoring more points usually gives the team a better chance to win in my experience as an observer.

One player, even one as good as Ewers, isn’t fixing all of the massive problems we have, which extend far beyond simply gaining more yards and scoring more points. Card sucks and he wasn’t the reason we lost 

1 minute ago, MotownHorn said:

Yeah but it looks no one is anything special in this conference this year. We can definitely compete for it imo. But I'll admit I know way more about basketball than I do about football so there's many here who have more insight into football than I do.

Not a fan of the D yesterday or the second half playcalling, but the team has a lot of talent. Can we make Patterson the DC soon? I think that would help tremendously. Dropping 8 guys back just isn't going to cut it. The D is decent when the playcalling is aggressive and not turtling.

Texas can't compete for the conference title. Worst HC in the conference is not going to stumble into the championship game. PK is obviously going to let teams dink and dunk down the field until they wear out the defense. Texas is at a huge competitive disadvantage in every game except maybe WVU simply due to coaching. Offense is going to have to be basically perfect and it won't. Ewers will have a head scratcher game, or two, or three. Texas will blow more 10+ point second half leads, the only thing it's proven to be consistently good at under Sark.

But for one game, it's absolutely possible Quinn Ewers, Bijan Robinson, and Xavier Worthy can light up OU. I'm holding on to that for now. He could also have the let down game I reference above and throw 4 INTs en route to a black saturday, but I'm choosing not to focus on that possibility.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Atticus said:

Ewers is better than Card, no mystery there, but Card is not in the top 4 reasons Texas lost.   Fans reflexively blame the QB ALWAYS but the problems are schemes schemes schemes. Hire the KSU staff and Texas goes 11-1 with Ewers and maybe 9-3 with Card starting all games. 

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Believing you need a generational QB to beat a bad Tech team trotting out their 2nd string QB is not very exciting.

Your savior isn’t a very good coach. Seems like a good guy, though.

Seriously. We are literally saying that without the best recruit since VY we can’t beat a tech team with a backup qb and a high school coach.

We are awful at game management, we are awful at 2nd half adjustments, we are awful at playcalling.

Heres what we are good at with Sark: running our first half offensive script, exploiting weaknesses observed on film until they are adjusted to. That’s it.  That’s all we do well.

• Hook 'Em 2

The sky is falling! This game was lost on riverboat gambling and a team that didn’t nut up and get it done when they needed to. The defense failed consistently on 4th down and they needed every one of those to pull the game out. One of those was a 4th and 6 from midfield where Donovan smith made DMo look silly in a phone booth. They consistently got the “want to” yards and we didn’t. They also won the turnover battle by 2.

All that and they ran 40 more plays than us? And we still had a chance to win late despite all that. This game will test the team’s leadership and hopefully challenge the defense to get their shit together. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

Seriously. We are literally saying that without the best recruit since VY we can’t beat a tech team with a backup qb and a high school coach.

We are awful at game management, we are awful at 2nd half adjustments, we are awful at playcalling.

Heres what we are good at with Sark: running our first half offensive script, exploiting weaknesses observed on film until they are adjusted to. That’s it.  That’s all we do well.

Don't be ridiculous. A team does not blow all of the following in the second half without exceptional skill. The odds of that being chance are just too high. 

18 point lead, 97.2% win probability; 

11 point lead, 92.0% win probability;

11 point lead, 80.7% win probability;

14 point lead, 95.8% win probability.

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

Don't be ridiculous. A team does not blow all of the following in the second half without exceptional skill. The odds of that being chance are just too high. 

18 point lead, 97.2% win probability; 

11 point lead, 92.0% win probability;

11 point lead, 80.7% win probability;

14 point lead, 95.8% win probability.

We literally blow double digits second half leads in 25% of the games Sark coaches. That is obscene 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

We literally blow double digits second half leads in 25% of the games Sark coaches. That is obscene 

Sark also has a .333 winning percentage with two-score second half leads in conference play at Texas. Honestly, I am not sure we're appreciating what we're in the midst of.

• Like 2

Good god this thread is terrible and full of a bunch of pussies who can't comprehend what they have watched during the games. This team is so much better than last year minus run blocking it isn't even funny. The Tech defensive and offensive game plans were terrible and I don't expect to witness that again this season. Most on this thread will be eating crow before the end of the season and should have already started.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/24/2022 at 8:02 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

People this can’t understand this are fucking stupid. 

So, was that Ewers out there wearing Card's jersey on Saturday?

On 9/25/2022 at 11:49 AM, hobbes2702 said:

Seriously the excuses are ridiculous. How many 2nd half’s has Sark won here?

2nd half's what?

• Hook 'Em 1