We've lost 8 of our last 11

TexArcher

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I was on campus those years and the last 13 years or so have been way worse.  I truly believe the program is cursed.  We find strange ways to lose games and it doesn’t matter who the coach has been.  

We sold our soul for that NC.  

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I was on campus those years and the last 13 years or so have been way worse.  I truly believe the program is cursed.  We find strange ways to lose games and it doesn’t matter who the coach has been.  

Texas isn’t cursed. 

They hire bad coaches in football and lose. They hire good coaches in the other sports and win. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 4:13 PM, Assman said:

I just don't see how you guys are optimistic following this game.  None of this means shit if Card is our starting QB for the next month.  We will probably beat UTSA if Card starts, but there's no way we beat Tech in Lubbock with Card, or any other Big 12 game (see Kansas last year).  This is just another wasted season of being "close".  Yes, I've been drinking since 7:30 but I'm fucking tired of being "close" or "if the officials would have called _______ we would have won".  Fuck that.  How about we win a fucking game we're not expected to win

Funny how many people negged me when I made the above comment after the Bama game.  The team and program are what they are:  A bunch of under-achieving, under-performing, out-coached, out-played, soft vaginas that think they have made it when they sign their LOI.  We hardly ever match the opposing team's intensity, and when we do, it usually amounts to a "good" loss against a better team (OU, LSU, Bama, etc).  It doesn't matter who the coach is or how many 5-stars we sign, it's the same shit.  Our entire season now hinges on whether or not the second-coming of mullet Jesus can play well enough to cover up the rest of this team's and staff's inadequacies. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Assman said:

Funny how many people negged me when I made the above comment after the Bama game.  The team and program are what they are:  A bunch of under-achieving, under-performing, out-coached, out-played, soft vaginas that think they have made it when they sign their LOI.  We hardly ever match the opposing team's intensity, and when we do, it usually amounts to a "good" loss against a better team (OU, LSU, Bama, etc).  It doesn't matter who the coach is or how many 5-stars we sign, it's the same shit.  Our entire season now hinges on whether or not the second-coming of mullet Jesus can play well enough to cover up the rest of this team's and staff's inadequacies. 

It absolutely matters who the coach is.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Texas isn’t cursed. 

They hire bad coaches in football and lose. They hire good coaches in the other sports and win. 

How many people here were excited when it was initially leaked that Sark was to be hired?  It seemed like a really bad idea, almost a joke, at the time.  

Maybe there were no good alternatives however after Meyer shot us down. 

17 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

How many people here were excited when it was initially leaked that Sark was to be hired?  It seemed like a really bad idea, almost a joke, at the time.  

Maybe there were no good alternatives however after Meyer shot us down. 

oh my fucking God. what a surprising yet utterly predictable disaster.

I'm stunned, I'm pissed. It's Sark. 

No, no, no. This better be some sick, cruel joke.

This is why we can't have nice things.

I’m stunned, I’m pissed, this is hilarious.

This is very confusing news. I’m torn, Tom is gone but Sark is in. 

This can't be real.

Fuck. Jesus Christ. Why? What a fucking disaster this is going to be. 

Underwhelming for sure.

That's just the first page. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Given we’ve lost 8 of our last 11, you’d think some of you wouldn’t be so shocked at this result. Here’s where we’re at personnel wise: 

Card is a our qb (horrid last year, looking improved but still can’t open the field vertically)

WR: without worthy, this group is bad. Whittington is good but can’t do it alone. Neyor Injury is huge.

Rb: obviously elite

TE: Solid group

Oline: Super young and inexperienced, first road game.

Edge: Laughable

Interior D line: still waiting on guys to “figure it out” in year 5

LB: pretty much the same group as last year

DB: mild personnel improvements?

Realistically, why should I expect us to be better than last year? If you look at Card’s 3 road starts last year, yesterday was actually significant improvement.

I’m not saying a lot of y’all don’t have valid points, but grow some thicker skin. The two players who should’ve helped us improve most are out (Quinn and Neyor). Hudson played a good game, but it’s obvious teams (and sark) don’t respect his deep ball, causing the same 2nd half offensive issues as last year.

Sorry you bought the bama fools gold. My expectation/hope for this year was 7 or 8 regular season wins. Take a step back from the ledge and let the season play out.

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Is this the worst it's ever been?

I understand that Sark almost beat Bama.  And he almost beat top 10 ou last year.  But they were still losses.

Is that really evidence of improvement?  Almost wins against better teams?  Strong beat top 10 Notre Dame and Herman almost beat top 10 LSU.  But they played down to a bunch of other teams and lost, just like we're doing now.

3 and fucking 8 in our last 11.

Are we really any better than we were 2 years ago, 4 years ago, 6 years ago?

Yes.  Just like you could look at the team in Colt McCoy’s last year and see serious systemic issues (remember Suh ragdolling our OL?) and predict we were in decline and being kept afloat by a generational QB, you can look at the program now and see that a strong foundation is being laid, true talent is starting to fill out the roster and we are learning to not suck after a decade plus of sucking.

I understand the frustration.  The win was there for the taking, but this is a young team, playing on the road and having to start their backup QB who isn’t a huge talent waiting his turn.  Some of those games are going to be losses.

Just now, Goredho said:

and see that a strong foundation is being laid, true talent is starting to fill out the roster and we are learning to not suck after a decade plus of sucking.

We've been more talented than the overwhelming majority of teams we've lost to over the last 12 years.

We are going 5-7 or 6-6 this season. If you think this recruiting class stays intact, and all of our current true freshmen o-linemen stay, then you are setting yourself up to be disappointed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, JFKFC said:

We've been more talented than the overwhelming majority of teams we've lost to over the last 12 years.

We are going 5-7 or 6-6 this season. If you think this recruiting class stays intact, and all of our current true freshmen o-linemen stay, then you are setting yourself up to be disappointed. 

If that all comes to pass, I’ll agree with you that there are troubling signs our second year coach may not be the guy to end all that.  It hasn’t yet, so I don’t agree with you.

There will be time to take the fentanyl after the season if it turns out to be as abysmal as you think it will be.

2 minutes ago, Goredho said:

There will be time to take the fentanyl after the season if it turns out to be as abysmal as you think it will be.

With our coaches turtling up and blowing 2nd half leads, and most of out players being absolute pussies, I don't think 6-6 is abysmal. Looking at our schedule, 6-6 would be pretty nice. Kansas is going to beat us by at least 2 scores. They have a real coach. 

3 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

With our coaches turtling up and blowing 2nd half leads, and most of out players being absolute pussies, I don't think 6-6 is abysmal. Looking at our schedule, 6-6 would be pretty nice. Kansas is going to beat us by at least 2 scores. They have a real coach. 

Ok, please, take the fentanyl now.

6 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

That's just the first page. 

I was not a fan of the hire at the beginning. Now I feel he is turning it around so I’m giving him a chance but then you have performances like yesterday and fuck… I’m still holding out hope until Ewers is back and maybe we look like we did against Bama. We can’t afford another 7 win or less season anymore.

yesterday’s loss was on sark.

14 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

and 2 of the wins were ULM , UTSA and what was the other?

teams win close games when they get clutch stops.  Texas doesn't do that in close games.

It's fucking TEXAS. There shouldn't be many close games.  There's no coaching magic that will allow you to drastically outperform .500 in close games.

Sark will survive another 5-7 season until we get Arch firmly on campus.  After that, his ass is fucking toast if we have a third straight year of 5-7 esque football with 0 improvements. And I say this as someone who is tired of the revolving door at the HC and coordinator positions. I want Sark to be the guy and to work out.  We need to give him time, but if the outcome every year looks like this, he cant stay.

So yes, back to the 4th? 5th rebuild in 15 years.  Ive fucking lost count at this point.

Edited by DiceHands

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

The season always hinged on Quinn Ewers and it still does. If he doesn't go down we're 4-0, Top 10, media sucking us off, Sark is a genius.

Our QB sucks and he's got a bad/young OL "blocking" for him.

We suck.

Counterpoint: Tech isn’t good, and was playing with their backup. A competent Texas staff could find a way to win that game with the talent on hand.

This staff has no idea how to win games.

We’re going to be playing the “hire new coordinators to save the head ball coach’s job” game soon. It never works.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

The season always hinged on Quinn Ewers and it still does. If he doesn't go down we're 4-0, Top 10, media sucking us off, Sark is a genius.

We suck.

And even with Ewers there were highly likely to be some wtf losses.  TTU in Lubbock as good as any.

11 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

We suck.

You can't expect more than 34 points when the other team possesses the ball for 100 plays. This loss was on the defense.

• Hook 'Em 4

I guess "if we only had Ewers!" is a straw worth grasping at if you want an unobservable counterfactual to keep your hope alive.  Whatever gets you through the night I suppose.  

Even with Ewers we'd still have a head coach that can't hire or manage a staff, who knows fuck all about defense, can't make adjustments in game, and turtles repeatedly down the stretch in big games.  Even with a great QB, and this, that and the other, our ceiling with Sark at the helm is likely 8-4; that's who he is as a coach - he's shown it repeatedly many times, and the evidence is there for anyone willing to look at it objectively.  

But I'm not sure we know if Ewers is that great of a QB.  Yes, he's very likely better than Card, but we've seen him play 5 quarters of football. He could turn out to be mediocre for all we know.  

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I guess "if we only had Ewers!" is a straw worth grasping at if you want an unobservable counterfactual to keep your hope alive.  Whatever gets you through the night I suppose.  

Even with Ewers we'd still have a head coach that can't hire or manage a staff, who knows fuck all about defense, can't make adjustments in game, and turtles repeatedly down the stretch in big games.  Even with a great QB, and this, that and the other, our ceiling with Sark at the helm is likely 8-4; that's who he is as a coach - he's shown it repeatedly many times, and the evidence is there for anyone willing to look at it objectively.  

But I'm not sure we know if Ewers is that great of a QB.  Yes, he's very likely better than Card, but we've seen him play 5 quarters of football. He could turn out to be mediocre for all we know.  

Really hoping for the best and hoping Ewers is the 2nd coming of Black Jesus (really not possible but maybe in the same greater tri-cities area, but they were both consensus 5*), and really hoping for a turnaround (I had to live the McWilliams years while at UT, and then our one year of redemption ended on a BIT of a sour note when I went to the Cotton Bowl vs The U after celebrating NYE in 7 time zones) but until then....this^^^^^^

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

Yes.  Just like you could look at the team in Colt McCoy’s last year and see serious systemic issues (remember Suh ragdolling our OL?) and predict we were in decline and being kept afloat by a generational QB, you can look at the program now and see that a strong foundation is being laid, true talent is starting to fill out the roster and we are learning to not suck after a decade plus of sucking.

I understand the frustration.  The win was there for the taking, but this is a young team, playing on the road and having to start their backup QB who isn’t a huge talent waiting his turn.  Some of those games are going to be losses.

Is this a real post? What solid foundation is being laid? Solid foundations aren’t made on blowing double digit leads in a quarter of the games played or on being out adjusted every single week, this time by a high school coach.

And let’s be clear, Card sucks, but was absolutely a huge talent coming out of high school. He wasn’t some nobody. He was a 4 star recruit and a top 75 player in the nation. We brought in the QB guru to coach him. No one has gotten better. Not one player. 

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Counterpoint: Tech isn’t good, and was playing with their backup. A competent Texas staff could find a way to win that game with the talent on hand.

This staff has no idea how to win games.

We’re going to be playing the “hire new coordinators to save the head ball coach’s job” game soon. It never works.

Tech is trash this year. Losing that game was unacceptable 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Is this a real post? What solid foundation is being laid? Solid foundations aren’t made on blowing double digit leads in a quarter of the games played or on being out adjusted every single week, this time by a high school coach.

And let’s be clear, Card sucks, but was absolutely a huge talent coming out of high school. He wasn’t some nobody. He was a 4 star recruit and a top 75 player in the nation. We brought in the QB guru to coach him. No one has gotten better. Not one player. 

Card got better yesterday