Game Week West Virginia

Wulaw Horn

2 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I know we love to hate on Card, but that dude was nowhere near the biggest reason Texas lost. Other than a couple mistakes, he actually played fairly well. Yeah, yeah, “but the deep ball”… for fucks sake, how many game managing QBs have been on national championship winning teams? Card isn’t great, but he’s progressing and definitely serviceable. If the rest of the team performed as well as Card did, that game was a blowout.

lol, my man.. this team around him is nowhere near a championship built team

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I know we love to hate on Card, but that dude was nowhere near the biggest reason Texas lost. Other than a couple mistakes, he actually played fairly well. Yeah, yeah, “but the deep ball”… for fucks sake, how many game managing QBs have been on national championship winning teams? Card isn’t great, but he’s progressing and definitely serviceable. If the rest of the team performed as well as Card did, that game was a blowout.

Biggest issue is how much the offense shrinks with Card. Because Ewers can do a lot of things that he can't. 

And we're not good enough to have a game manager at QB.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

The only "game-managing" QBs that have ever won shit, have been on teams that were completely dominant at almost every other position. We are not. We need a difference maker at the most important position. Hopefully one day, we will be talented enough that we won't.... but that is at minimum 4-years out.

Edited by Fico
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

lol, my man.. this team around him is nowhere near a championship built team

That isn't what he was saying

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Biggest issue is how much the offense shrinks with Card. Because Ewers can do a lot of things that he can't. 

Bingo

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Exactly, Texas should be able to shrink their offense and still beat these fucking teams. Everyone else needs to step the fuck up. You’re telling me these same players can compete with Bama but not Tech and WV? You can see their lack of focus and effort. It’s obvious at the beginning of the game.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Fico said:

The only "game-managing" QBs that have ever won shit, have been on teams that were completely dominant at almost every other position. We are not. We need a difference maker at the most important position. Hopefully one day, we will be talented enough that we won't.... but that is at minimum 4-years out.

Yep. 

College FB is a QB-dominant position.  A game changing QB will win you games and an average QB will lose you games where you have a so-so/young OL and a limited playbook with the average guy.   

There's a reason Quinn rhymes with win. 

Edited by Js1

1 minute ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Exactly, Texas should be able to shrink their offense and still beat these fucking teams. Everyone else needs to step the fuck up. You’re telling me these same players can compete with Bama but not Tech and WV? You can see their lack of focus and effort. It’s obvious at the beginning of the game.

Based on what I've seen, we're probably 10-14 points better with Ewers. I'm not entirely sure what you're arguing but going from Ewers to Card is going to take some comfortable wins and turn them into toss-ups. Like last week. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Longhornlove said:

So you are saying Sark purposely started a injured Card over a healthy Ewers? Bullshit.

I'm not going to disagree with someone who has firsthand knowledge of the situation. I know the source of the rumor, and they would know if this is true.

And, yeah, when I found out who the source was, I went from thinking Sark might have a chance to be the guy, to being ready to fire him. You're absolutely right that this sounds unbelievably stupid, but then... we lost to Kansas at home last year, remember?

• Hook 'Em 1

Kansas didn't need a Quinn Ewers or Xavier Worthy to hang 42 on WVU in regulation. On the road. Why do we "need" these guys to win again?

If the answer to not being a 6-6 is "we need a generational talent to stay healthy and live up to every point of his recruiting rating, and also need him to be surrounded by dominant talent at WR" then what the fuck would Sark say he does here besides recruit?

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

I agree that Card is a game manager at best, and that we still should have the talent advantage everywhere else to beat teams like Tech and WVU. The problem in this day and age is that teams aren’t going to be able to keep backup QB’s that are much better than game managers. It’s going to be like the NFL where you have your franchise guy and then you have a guy who you hope can go 2-2 if the starter has to miss 4 games. If the backup is worth a crap he’s not going to stick around. 

3 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Kansas didn't need a Quinn Ewers or Xavier Worthy to hang 42 on WVU in regulation. On the road. Why do we "need" these guys to win again?

Not sure Hudson Card could hold Jalon Daniels' jock at the moment, but we will get a better idea if Daniels is that good after he faces Iowa State this week. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I'm not going to disagree with someone who has firsthand knowledge of the situation. I know the source of the rumor, and they would know if this is true.

And, yeah, when I found out who the source was, I went from thinking Sark might have a chance to be the guy, to being ready to fire him. You're absolutely right that this sounds unbelievably stupid, but then... we lost to Kansas at home last year, remember?

I believe that you believe what someone told you I just can't comprehend it. That makes zero sense. There has to be something else to the story.

4 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

If the answer to not being a 6-6 is "we need a generational talent to stay healthy and live up to every point of his recruiting rating, and also need him to be surrounded by dominant talent at WR" then what the fuck would Sark say he does here besides recruit?

Uh, the reason why Kansas is able to do so well this year is that their QB is definitely balling. Obviously, some of that is coaching, but think it just reinforces that QB play is what dominates how a team does. 

4 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

yeah but Kansas actually has a baller at QB who knows when to pull the trigger and knows when it's time to run and make a play

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I think the injury is still a factor.  I don’t think he’s nearly as gifted as Quinn but again, it’s verified he can put quite a bit of velocity on the ball. He doesn’t have a weak arm.  

No one's shitting on Card right now. We need Ewers instead of Card simply to outscore our opponents. PK's defensive game planning (outside of Bama game) is completely unreliable and we have to assume that every offense will move the ball on us.

Yes, Card should be good enough to beat WV. But he's not, because of our passive defense. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Based on what I've seen, we're probably 10-14 points better with Ewers. I'm not entirely sure what you're arguing but going from Ewers to Card is going to take some comfortable wins and turn them into toss-ups. Like last week. 

I’m saying that regardless of who’s playing QB, the rest of the team is playing well below their capacity, as evidenced by the effort and results of Bama vs Tech. Sure, Ewers may win the game against these shitty teams, but if the real problems don’t get addressed, we’re still looking at dogfights every week and guaranteed losses against any decent squad. If the rest of these guys played with the same heart Card has, it wouldn’t matter who’s QB.

I’m well aware Quinn is a much better QB, but it’s only a bandaid on a mortal wound.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Longhornlove said:

I believe that you believe what someone told you I just can't comprehend it. That makes zero sense. There has to be something else to the story.

See, what I'm looking for is to see if the guy realizes that he was an idiot, or if he doubles down on his idiocy.

34 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I hate to be negative, but I am not sure why anyone thinks Texas should be able to shrink the offense and roll Tech offensively. The Tech DL is flat out better than the Texas OL, it really isnt a question. Tech is not going to be the outlier. I dont think Texas can just line up and run the ball at WV this week either. 

As for Bama. Texas scored 10 pts in 2 drives with Quinn at QB. Scored 9 pts on 9 drives after he left. Ewers led offense ran 20 plays for 142 yards, 7.1 per play

Card led offense ran 46 for 199, 4.32 (I am cutting out the last 30 yard play that was meaningless)

Defensively, you dead right about coming out the last 2 weeks and looking listless. The defense is certainly improved, but needs to learn how to get off the field and start games. Offensively Texas is different with Card, as the Bama stats show. Teams can just pack themselves in and dare Texas to beat them over the top. Coming into this year most people thought the offense would need to carry this team and the defense would be mediocre at best. I dont think a Card led offense is capable of carrying this team with a limited OL and an improving, but mediocre defense.  

• Hook 'Em 9

1 hour ago, Fico said:

Fuckin' A.  Let's analyze the past 20 years.  I still don't think we should have lost to Tech.  That's irritating.  We choked that game.

2002 - Krenzel (quintessential bus driver)

2003 - Mauck (good college QB)

2004 - Leinart (stud)

2005 - Young (stud)

2006 - Leak (good college QB)

2007 - Flynn (decent QB; bus driver)

2008 - Tebow (stud)

2009 - McElroy (dogshit)

2010 - Newton (stud)

2011 - McCarron (decent this year)

2012 - McCarron (stud)

2013 - Winston (stud)

2014 - Jones (good college QB)

2015 - Coker (good college QB)

2016 - Watson (stud)

2017 - Hurts (stud)

2018 - Lawrence (stud)

2019 - Burrow (stud)

2020 - Jones (stud)

2021 - Bennett (stud)

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Nobody should give a shit. A team of coaches of their caliber should be able to game plan against Texas and still lose with the talent gap between Texas and Tech. Hell, we should be able to give them our scripted plays and put our third string defense on the field and still win.

Wtf. This talent gap you seem to think Texas has does not exist. I would think the recent NFL drafts would have provided you with the evidence you seem to be lacking.

• Hook 'Em 5

17 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I hate to be negative, but I am not sure why anyone thinks Texas should be able to shrink the offense and roll Tech offensively. The Tech DL is flat out better than the Texas OL, it really isnt a question. Tech is not going to be the outlier. I dont think Texas can just line up and run the ball at WV this week either. 

As for Bama. Texas scored 10 pts in 2 drives with Quinn at QB. Scored 9 pts on 9 drives after he left. Ewers led offense ran 20 plays for 142 yards, 7.1 per play

Card led offense ran 46 for 199, 4.32 (I am cutting out the last 30 yard play that was meaningless)

Defensively, you dead right about coming out the last 2 weeks and looking listless. The defense is certainly improved, but needs to learn how to get off the field and start games. Offensively Texas is different with Card, as the Bama stats show. Teams can just pack themselves in and dare Texas to beat them over the top. Coming into this year most people thought the offense would need to carry this team and the defense would be mediocre at best. I dont think a Card led offense is capable of carrying this team with a limited OL and an improving, but mediocre defense.  

Alabama had 15 penalties for 100 yards and played pretty shitty overall. Take out the penalties and bama steam rolls us. The idea that we went “toe to toe” with Alabama is laughable. Our best effort and their worst still ended with a bama win lol. We don’t scare anybody anymore and our talent advantage is almost nonexistent because the guys who are phenomenal athletes can’t catch or tackle or whatever the fuck they are generally suppose to do at their position. Watts can’t cover, worthy has trouble finding the ball, overshown has zero preternatural instincts for LB, Collins is a flat out pussy. Bijan, rojo, banks, and sanders…that’s our talent advantage. I saw a draft prediction that had a Kansas state edge player going top 20 ffs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

Because Ewers makes everyone on the offense better, because he scares the defense. When you don't need to worry about the field after 15 yards the defense becomes and lot more aggressive and confident. It's not just the deep shots, Ewers processes everything better than Card. He knows where to go with the ball when Card is still staring down the #1 read.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, WinningIsHard said:

Alabama had 15 penalties for 100 yards and played pretty shitty overall. Take out the penalties and bama steam rolls us. The idea that we went “toe to toe” with Alabama is laughable. Our best effort and their worst still ended with a bama win lol. We don’t scare anybody anymore and our talent advantage is almost nonexistent because the guys who are phenomenal athletes can’t catch or tackle or whatever the fuck they are generally suppose to do at their position. Watts can’t cover, worthy has trouble finding the ball, overshown has zero preternatural instincts for LB, Collins is a flat out pussy. Bijan, rojo, banks, and sanders…that’s our talent advantage. I saw a draft prediction that had a Kansas state edge player going top 20 ffs. 

Bama was also committing penalties because they were getting burned. Our WRs were a mismatch against their DBs. So, it was either grab and maybe get called for a PI or give up a TD.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Add to that Neyor and Worthy out and the WR room is likely worse than last year. Whittington is no longer an elite athlete, and throwing him 50/50 jump balls is questionable at best. If he's our #1 against WVU, people need to prepare for the worst.

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Because Ewers makes everyone on the offense better, because he scares the defense. When you don't need to worry about the field after 15 yards the defense becomes and lot more aggressive and confident. It's not just the deep shots, Ewers processes everything better than Card. He knows where to go with the ball when Card is still staring down the #1 read.

Who on the tech offense scares you after 15 yards? Did Tech even attempt anything deep besides those two free offsides plays?

How did they make it work, and why in the shit can't we?

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Add to that Neyor and Worthy out and the WR room is likely worse than last year. Whittington is no longer an elite athlete, and throwing him 50/50 jump balls is questionable at best. If he's our #1 against WVU, people need to prepare for the worst.

I think Hall can bring something to this offense. I just dont know if he is ready or willing to do it. Outside of Ewers, Worthy might be the most important skill player for Texas. He runs bad routes, has mediocre hands, less than desirable attitude, but is a hell of an athlete. That sounds a lot like Hall to me. 

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Worthy might be the most important skill player for Texas. He runs bad routes, has mediocre hands, less than desirable attitude, but is a hell of an athlete.

Has there been any evidence of this? The guy not being able to track deep balls thrown off target doesn't automatically translate to a bad attitude.

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

While I agree somewhat it's pretty funny seeing Nahlin getting worked up that people are shitting on Card

image.thumb.png.18ef106a0be518d1e7626f170b63111a.png

Counterpoint:  If Card would have located a wide open TE last week (a couple of different times) this board is likely in a completely different mood right now.

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, longhornmatt said:

Card is pretty awful as a passing QB, but there actually is a valid point about Sark's fanatical opposition to QB runs probably not maximizing what we could do if we have to play Card.  He can run decently, but we won't incorporate any zone read / option as part of our normal offense.  It seems like Sark doesn't want the QB taking off on scrambles on passing plays, either. 

All of that is understandable in a vacuum for a coach who wants a pro style passing QB, but if you have a QB who can't move the ball in the air, you might as well tell him to use his legs.  I know Card has been hurt this year, but even last year running didn't seem to be part of the plan.

We saw it last year and this year....I'll screenshot @Fud post from there describing Card:

image.thumb.png.6a799876b9fabf7f84625cd71ea91a7f.png

18 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Has there been any evidence of this? The guy not being able to track deep balls thrown off target doesn't automatically translate to a bad attitude.

I have seen him give up on balls on multiple occasions. Not saying he is a criminal or is telling the coaches to go F themselves, but I dont always see consistent effort from him. 

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I have seen him give up on balls on multiple occasions. Not saying he is a criminal or is telling the coaches to go F themselves, but I dont always see consistent effort from him. 

It does appear a lot of times by his body language and etc that he's just going through the motions but you see other times he's giving max effort blocking.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

13 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It does appear a lot of times by his body language and etc that he's just going through the motions but you see other times he's giving max effort blocking.

His effort is high usually when the ball is in his hands, when it is not it is a mixed bag. He definitely has the diva WR thing down. He is really talented, but he is not a finished product. He is a couple years away from being able to pull the Diva thing off and people shrugging it off. I did he him bust his ass in the Kansas game last year hobbling around, I just havent seen it this year

Edited by Codaxx

23 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Card is pretty awful as a passing QB, but there actually is a valid point about Sark's fanatical opposition to QB runs probably not maximizing what we could do if we have to play Card.  He can run decently, but we won't incorporate any zone read / option as part of our normal offense.  It seems like Sark doesn't want the QB taking off on scrambles on passing plays, either. 

All of that is understandable in a vacuum for a coach who wants a pro style passing QB, but if you have a QB who can't move the ball in the air, you might as well tell him to use his legs.  I know Card has been hurt this year, but even last year running didn't seem to be part of the plan.

Card can’t beat out Ewers but he’s also clearly better than the 3rd string guy. If he takes off running and gets first downs which translates to us beating tech…does he really need to worry if sark is mad or not? He has a chance to go out there and play like his hairs on fire and do whatever it takes to win. He’s been relegated to 2nd string qb twice with sark now, it’s time for card to say fuck it and show more of his running ability. IF sark is telling him not to run to the detriment of this team’s success then it’s over fellas. Leipold needs to be groomed right now for 2024. We are mega fucked if sark is ok with losing as long as his offense is ran correctly. 

27 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Brando and Tillman on the call for Fox. 

I don't know which is worse. They both suck. 

"That's right partner"

Presidential Debate Trump GIF by Creative Courage

44 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

While I agree somewhat it's pretty funny seeing Nahlin getting worked up that people are shitting on Card

image.thumb.png.18ef106a0be518d1e7626f170b63111a.png

so hire Gundy