Game Week West Virginia

Wulaw Horn

50 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Sarks playing chess.  He’ll start Card and get the usual double digit lead and to avoid the let down in the second half he’ll bring in Ewers to secure the win.  Ewers plays less minutes so less chance of reactivating his shoulder injury and gets a little tune up for OU.  Fight me.  

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Hammerin Hank said:

Has been making throws at full speed? It’s one thing to throw the ball around, but it’s completely different trying to zip it in there or chunk it deep. I have n idea, but I’m curious if anyone knows 

The reports have been he's been less than 100%, so I assume he's not making all the throws that he needs to make to be starting.

4 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I guess the 4-6 week time table was right all along 

most doctors would say 8.   ive thought all along there was some undue rush and pressure to have him back.  cedric golden's article this morning is a prime example.  he is dead wrong.  we can win with card.  we have to win with card.  ewers can not be reinjured or he will be out for the season, maybe his career.  we can win without him.

I have a theory.  Something better than totally uninformed bullshit but not quite a hot take.  Here goes:

UTSA was not a letdown game.  It was actually a tough game - we just had a good defensive second half.

Tech was the letdown game.  We had an easy first score on a broken coverage and everyone lost the fire.

I think the team is better than the tech game showed - even with Card - and UTSA with their qb might be a top 25 team.

There you have it.  We’ll pound WV, and then play ousux strong (strongly?).

I’m out.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, XForce said:

I’ve watched all of their games and I can see why Texas is a 10 point favorite. If you’re making assumptions after 4 games—when most teams have cupcakes in at least two of those—idk what to tell you. 

WV is not good. 

Have you not learned Fein!!! They will be against us 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Our corners allowed a combined 3 completions on Saturday. Tech's outside receivers did nothing. We are playing tighter coverage with the corners.

All their damage went to slot receivers, tight ends and running backs.

Odd considering we have the potential to put Overshown and Barron on the inside receivers.

On 9/27/2022 at 8:40 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

If I'm WVU I'm dink and dunking the ball on short passes, once we adjust to that I'm hitting the middle intermediate of the field. If you're at midfield or Texas territory, go for it on 4th downs.

On defense I'm attacking the interior OL big time.

upon rewatch of a few highlights and back-breakers, this was the poison.  it wasn't (to me) bad defense design that got us beat. 

1. LB #41 was really bad in coverage and pursuit... I mean *REALLY BAD* in recognition and REALLY SLOW in pursuit.

2. DL was totally ineffective at controlling the LOS, causing any disruption, or clearing anything for the LBs to work with if that is the expectation.  Bo Davis's guys got their asses kicked. They may be getting in the motherfucker, again.

3. Safeties played SAFE... I think I'm ok with the "don't get beat" philosophy, but once you see the ball, beat the ball. Trust your eyes.

I'd need to rewatch the whole game with the limited TV views I have to see if we were at a schematic disadvantage.  I think TT found a weakness and exploited it, and we didn't adjust to cover it up.

• Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, CoTex said:

I have a theory.  Something better than totally uninformed bullshit but not quite a hot take.  Here goes:

UTSA was not a letdown game.  It was actually a tough game - we just had a good defensive second half.

Tech was the letdown game.  We had an easy first score on a broken coverage and everyone lost the fire.

I think the team is better than the tech game showed - even with Card - and UTSA with their qb might be a top 25 team.

There you have it.  We’ll pound WV, and then play ousux strong (strongly?).

I’m out.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Surprise Wow GIF by SWR3

you know what your right. I’m still puzzled why he was not in on that 4th down

Many were puzzled but they did not have to be since we had not stopped LenDale White all day. Yet good to great teams make the play when they are most needed. That is why Alabama was encouraging but at the same time discouraging. That corner blitz was pure gold and should have ended up in a sack which caused a fumble but it was the QB whom made the play. We are just starting to resemble those teams that are always close but always find a way to screw up.

4 minutes ago, Slacks said:

2. DL was totally ineffective at controlling the LOS, causing any disruption, or clearing anything for the LBs to work with if that is the expectation.  Bo Davis's guys got their asses kicked. They may be getting in the motherfucker, again.

I did not see this at all live or in my re-watch. Sweat, Coburn and Murphy might have played the best game of their careers last week. We were constantly pushing the pocket. Not sure how a DL is supposed to "clear" things for the LB's in the passing game. The edge play was meh, as usual, which is probably why we couldn't get home despite the constant pressure we were getting, but the interior DL did their jobs. Tech got very little up in the middle in the run game and they were pretty active rushing the passer.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I did not see this at all live or in my re-watch. Sweat, Coburn and Murphy might have played the best game of their careers last week. We were constantly pushing the pocket. Not sure how a DL is supposed to "clear" things for the LB's in the passing game. The edge play was meh, as usual, which is probably why we couldn't get home despite the constant pressure we were getting, but the interior DL did their jobs. Tech got very little up in the middle in the run game and they were pretty active rushing the passer.

This. 
I agree that the defense didn’t look as bad as I thought in rewatch.  The DL was fine (except Ovie - he’s barely sufficient most plays). But Ford and Overshown were poor in primary or transitioning to pass coverage.  They truly played scared to go too far to the line or drop too far in coverage. On top of that, Thompson was awful: late, bad angles, poor tackling.  That’s the D right up the guy, and Tech played pitch-and-catch on RPOs or simple seam patterns to the TE.  I wish I knew how to do the screen stuff to show. 

Edited by horny_gunman
Added

43 minutes ago, Slacks said:

upon rewatch of a few highlights and back-breakers, this was the poison.  it wasn't (to me) bad defense design that got us beat. 

1. LB #41 was really bad in coverage and pursuit... I mean *REALLY BAD* in recognition and REALLY SLOW in pursuit.

3. Safeties played SAFE... I think I'm ok with the "don't get beat" philosophy, but once you see the ball, beat the ball. Trust your eyes.

I'd need to rewatch the whole game with the limited TV views I have to see if we were at a schematic disadvantage.  I think TT found a weakness and exploited it, and we didn't adjust to cover it up.

I think the safeties played poorly, not what I would characterize as "safe".  In particular, Jerrin Thompson on the first, and arguably most important, of their numerous 4th down conversions displayed an outstanding lack of football iq and playmaking ability.  4th and 7, Tech was desperate to respond to our early td and McGuire really needed it to fire up his team and send a message.  Had it failed, and it should have been at least reviewed but whatever, Tech simply crumbles within the first quarter.  We would have taken a lightning quick 14-0 lead and more importantly the defense would have gotten some juice from the turnover.

Tech motions their receiver, with the obvious back and forth tell, "we're trying to free him up for the throw" action.  Thompson picks him up and keeps a deep cushion, and fucking BAILS well past the first down marker as the Tech guy simply stops and waits for the pass.  4th and fucking 7 and you don't protect the sticks... Not even a particularly well anticipated pass mind you.  Thompson gets back just in time for the courteous push after ball is secured and both feet are down.  

Shortly after, 7-7 and Tech is feeling self assured about never punting again

2 hours ago, Slacks said:

You’re just flat out wrong in this one. Our DL controlled the LOS in the run game and our DTs were getting excellent push in the pocket all game. The only failure of the DL were our edges in pass rushing, which isn’t a surprise since our edge group is absolutely horrible. It was a massive failure by this staff to not be able to land a guy like Drew Sanders or Windmon from the portal. 

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

You think Sarkisian with Simms, Williams, Benson, Johnson, Thomas, Scaife, and Thomas aren't scoring a shit ton of points.

Trust me I see the scoreboard.

We all hated GD's scheme and especially play calling, but those teams executed and were competent. And they won. Do you ever see sark deploying a Garrett Gilbert vs. Nebraska game plan?

I could be wrong.

51 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You’re just flat out wrong in this one. Our DL controlled the LOS in the run game and our DTs were getting excellent push in the pocket all game. The only failure of the DL were our edges in pass rushing, which isn’t a surprise since our edge group is absolutely horrible. It was a massive failure by this staff to not be able to land a guy like Drew Sanders or Windmon from the portal. 

yeah it's like they didn't even offer them

7 hours ago, Native Horn said:

I park right off of Medical Arts Street, between Red River and Dean Keeton.  There are a few charity lots there (Rotary Club) that charge $30.  Literally a five minute walk to Surly tailgate, ten minutes to DKR.

You shut your mouth about those lots. Those are our little secret. 

• Hook 'Em 3

IT with a few team notes (someone mentioned on IT yesterday that Worthy caught a bomb from Card in practice)

Neal Brown demonstrated a very strong understanding of the Texas roster during his Tuesday press conference. He discussed most position groups and discussed all three phases somewhat at length.

He also seems to know a good bit about the media in one of the most competitive markets in the country.

Brown is largely right, though the media has been mostly quiet regarding Quinn Ewers‘ availability. Or, if it hasn’t been quiet, it’s represented both possibilities — Quinn will start, Quinn won’t start. (We will hold fast to our policy of not stating the starter)

Neal Brown will need to prepare for both. During his press conference he said he was familiar with both quarterbacks, and, while he hasn’t coached them, he figured Texas wouldn’t change the offense much dependent on the starter. That may have been the case the previous two weeks.

Both quarterbacks will be available on Saturday but IT only expects to see one.

Perhaps the more important injury news for Texas is Xavier Worthy‘s progression throughout the week. Time off from practice led to him spritely running routes on Thursday, even catching a bomb from this week’s likely QB1. One source said it didn’t look like he was hurt. Caution, though. Injuries are easy to re-aggravate, just ask Hudson Card.

The importance of Worthy’s health means two things, he could be on a pitch count and we could see more of Agiye Hall. Tarique Milton also received more reps this week.

Many have wondered if we’ll see a shakeup on the offensive line but that answer is ‘no’. The best O-line is the one on the field per sources. We do think you’ll see more calls that play to the line’s strengths.

You should see some wrinkles on both offense and defense. When that’s written, it’s no guarantee of success but they make sense to us.

The defense again focused on tackling and converting turnover opportunities. There’s a lot of respect for JT Daniels’ passing ability. The DB’s will have to get their eyes on the ball if they want to get their hands on the ball.

After the Tech game people asked if Pete Kwiatkowski makes the full call, or if he calls the front and Terry Joseph calls the coverage. It was even mentioned it was written on IT but we don’t recall writing that and even had to investigate. PK makes the full call. It would seem chaotic to have two different play callers.

Along with work on fundamentals that should help with tackling and creating turnovers there was a lot of situational work on 3rd and 4th down for both sides of the ball. We don’t know how this game will play out but the coaches certainly spent a lot of time addressing the issues that have concerned fans.

As for the players-only team meeting. It was reiterated that it was no big deal, “just Roschon making sure everyone is ready to play.”

During the offseason we mentioned it would be impossible to know if culture has improved until the team met adversity. We might learn a lot this weekend.

42 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Perhaps the more important injury news for Texas is Xavier Worthy‘s progression throughout the week. Time off from practice led to him spritely running routes on Thursday, even catching a bomb from this week’s likely QB1. One source said it didn’t look like he was hurt. Caution, though. Injuries are easy to re-aggravate, just ask Hudson Card.

rules out card

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Thats definitely what it’s referring to. Every time he gets hit or falls down more awkwardly than normal, he gets up more hobbled than before

He was hobbling after the 3rd down sack in the 1st quarter on the 2nd drive of the game. IMO That injury won't get better till he sits or after the season ends.

18 hours ago, D3zii said:

Surprise Wow GIF by SWR3

you know what your right. I’m still puzzled why he was not in on that 4th down

I always put that on Pete Carroll.  I think Bush wasn't in on that 4th down because that play they ran, designed to gain only a couple yards, normally didn't have Bush on the field and they had to have run that play, out of that formation, many times that season, probably successful the vast majority of the time.  It would have taken someone who wasn't down in the weeds of x's and o's to make a last minute adjustment.  Maybe that's the OC but I think that falls on the HC.

Alright Sark now is the time to let the nuts hang and run away with this game. Quinn or no Quinn this is a team that is very winnable but more so after a tough loss. Bounce back games out our lunch and forced the 6 game losing streak last year but Sark can show he has elevated this program if he starts beating the snot out of teams like this even after a terrible loss

• Like 1

Man if we can't even beat a mid-low tier Big 12 team in WV, things will unravel quickly for Sark. Recruiting is holding it together for him right now, but those dudes will quickly bail for greener pastures. 

Right now CDC needs to be getting his replacement list in order - Aranda, Meyer, Gundy etc and kicking the tires with agents. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 8

16 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Honest question, are any of the freshmen able to help here? I know a few have gotten snaps here and there.

Edited by Sal
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Alright Sark now is the time to let the nuts hang and run away with this game. Quinn or no Quinn this is a team that is very winnable but more so after a tough loss. Bounce back games out our lunch and forced the 6 game losing streak last year but Sark can show he has elevated this program if he starts beating the snot out of teams like this even after a terrible loss

With limited run blocking and inconsistent QB play, this will be a tough game. Hopefully we have Card more prepared to perform for when they stack the box against him.