Game Week West Virginia

Wulaw Horn

It’s not just Hutson. Conner and Majors are also terrible run blockers and Banks isn’t all that great either.  Just swapping out Hutson won’t fix it. 

So…as demonstrated on this board 1,000’s of times, I’m no football genius…but it seems we should run more true play action passes. Wouldn’t that help improve pass blocking? Or do we just not do that in our offense?

6 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Damn Ewers SC sprain must have been a pretty bad one. This offense without him is so schizophrenic 

Well, they did say 4-6 weeks. Throwing with the arm opposite of the injury has nothing to do with be able to take hits. I’d rather them play the long game with Quinn. This season was going to be shit before it started.

3 minutes ago, sportsbay said:

Ewers is going to be a first round draft choice and never play another game at Texas.

Hearing rumors that Ewers was medically cleared last week before Tech but dad calls the shots and is concerned about NFL and taking another shot too soon.  Take that with a heaping tablespoon of salt but would it really surprise me....nah, especially since Thamel always seems to know first.

12 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Damn Ewers SC sprain must have been a pretty bad one. This offense without him is so schizophrenic 

Everyone pretty much said back by OU at the earliest when the injury happened; anything else has just been Sark's lame attempt at gamesmanship.

Can’t say I pay much attention to West Virginia other than making mental notes about programs as I see various scores flash along the scroll on game days. As such, somewhere in the far recesses of my mind I had classified West Virginia as a  Big XII bottom feeder, but upon closer inspection game day morning, that was based on an early loss to Kansas that doesn’t look so bad now.  Their other showings include a close opening day loss at rival & ranked Pitt, and a convincing win over a questionable Virginia Tech team.  Not sure exactly what The Mountaineers are bringing into DKR today, but get the impression that UT better not take them lightly the way it seemed they did in Lubbock last Saturday

12 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Hearing rumors that Ewers was medically cleared last week before Tech but dad calls the shots and is concerned about NFL and taking another shot too soon.  Take that with a heaping tablespoon of salt but would it really surprise me....nah, especially since Thamel always seems to know first.

tenor.gif

We’re not just a QB away. No one wants to talk about the OL being below average. Play calling being predictable. DL being allergic to touching the QB. DBs letting receivers have as much space as they need. Do we even have LBs? This program looks worse today than when Herman was fired and that’s a fact. It shouldn’t matter if Card is playing, Sark was called a offensive guru so he should be able to plug and play Card and be able to dominate Tech and WV

• Fuck You 3

3 minutes ago, DoubleQuarterPounder said:

We’re not just a QB away. No one wants to talk about the OL being below average. Play calling being predictable. DL being allergic to touching the QB. DBs letting receivers have as much space as they need. Do we even have LBs? This program looks worse today than when Herman was fired and that’s a fact. It shouldn’t matter if Card is playing, Sark was called a offensive guru so he should be able to plug and play Card and be able to dominate Tech and WV

Do you actually believe the shit you post? 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, DoubleQuarterPounder said:

Don't know if you noticed, but Card can't exactly see the whole field or hit the same passes Ewers can.  Namely passes over 10 yards.  So no, Sark can't just plug and play Card.

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Well, if it makes you feel any better, you don’t need to be nervous, because your idea is really fucking stupid. 

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

JFC I'm constantly dumber for reading this site.

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Put it another tampon or two. Holy shit this is hysterical 

JFC ppl plz it was sarcasm from the other dude. . 

54 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

So…as demonstrated on this board 1,000’s of times, I’m no football genius…but it seems we should run more true play action passes. Wouldn’t that help improve pass blocking? Or do we just not do that in our offense?

Kinda need the run game to be working for play-action to be effective.  Our Oline is not allowing our run game to be effective right now, particular on inside runs.  I think the only way Sark is going to be able loosen up defenses with Card is by making him a threat in the run game, but  a.  His ankle is not 100%  b.  No experience behind him if he gets hurt. Sark has quite the conundrum on his hands and PK isn’t helping on the other side of the ball.  6-6 feels about right sadly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OU Sucks said:

I love how Sark likes to keep the starting QB a secret, as if every defensive coordinator is like PK and unable to make mid-game adjustments.

Yea it’s real hard to plan for us not know who will start.  Let’s practice like they have a qb who can make wuick decisions and passes down field if the other guy starts we don’t have to worry about any of that though so stack the box anc more blitzes.  

Edited by Hook1997

47 minutes ago, DoubleQuarterPounder said:

Except that if Ewers doesn't get hurt against Bama, Texas is probably 4-0 and sitting comfortably in the Top 10 today so, yeah, we are a QB away just like most other teams. (I 100% those other areas you mention definitely need to get better.)

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Except that if Ewers doesn't get hurt against Bama, Texas is probably 4-0 and sitting comfortably in the Top 10 today so, yeah, we are a QB away just like most other teams. (I 100% those other areas you mention definitely need to get better.)

Yep. Everything that guy bitches about is fixed with Quinn Ewers elite QB play.

1 hour ago, MirrOlure said:

We run a decent amount of play action. I don’t think amount of PA is a problem and our pass blocking has actually been very good this year.  Sark particularly liked PA with max protect and a deep shot, but that’s pretty useless with Card. 

I think the biggest issue with Sark’s playcalling is he doesn’t usually build on concepts throughout the game. If you watch Shanahan, LaFleur, McVey, Riley, etc. they show looks early in games to build to different plays off the same look later in the game. Sark is extremely good at his 15 play script to open the game, but his play calling becomes pretty predictable and bland a lot of times after that point.  For instance, against Tech we killed them with the 3 back sets and then never used it again despite our O going completely flat the whole second half. He should’ve brought that package back out and run different stuff out of it to liven up the O when we were bogged down. 

It is hard though, because Card is horrible at seeing the middle of the field and he’s schemed TEs and slot receivers wide open over the middle only for Card to just completely miss them or be late making the throw. So a lot of the stuff he’s calling is working, but Card doesn’t execute it. And that’s the hard part, because there’s very little Card can execute well and we don’t have the OL to just line up and run it down their throat. I’ve said it before, but people underestimate how limited Card is in his reads and progressions. His flaws go way beyond just the bad plays he makes. His biggest flaw is all the good plays he misses. 

Having said all that (tldr, I know), the Tech loss was inexcusable and was primarily due to shitty coaching on both sides of the ball. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It is hard though, because Card is horrible at seeing the middle of the field and he’s schemed TEs and slot receivers wide open over the middle only for Card to just completely miss them or be late making the throw. So a lot of the stuff he’s calling is working, but Card doesn’t execute it. And that’s the hard part, because there’s very little Card can execute well and we don’t have the OL to just line up and run it down their throat. I’ve said it before, but people underestimate how limited Card is in his reads and progressions. His flaws go way beyond just the bad plays he makes. His biggest flaw is all the good plays he misses. 

Exactly this. Card just can’t execute the offense. It’s the same issue as last year - way too many plays are there and just aren’t made. It’s why any game with Card at QB seems like a coin flip, and why it’s hard for me to really know what to think of Sark at this point. I think we’ll know more about him if/when Ewers comes back, as he appears capable of executing the full offense. 

• Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

For instance, against Tech we killed them with the 3 back sets and then never used it again despite our O going completely flat the whole second half. He should’ve brought that package back out and run different stuff out of it to liven up the O when we were bogged down. 

If for no other reason than getting three of your best offensive players on the field. No offense to Casey Cain or Milton. 

22 hours ago, JFKFC said:

Of course not. No one should ever take an o-lineman or quality edge rusher from the portal. We need to focus on taking WRs & pass-catching TEs who get suspended and don't produce for the team. Sark has the formula.  

Except that Card doesn't even throw to JT because he's fucking stupid and sucks. He can't throw the deep ball, he can't throw to the TE, he locks on to receivers, overthrow the deep ball 2-3 times, he'll basically hit Whittington 3-4 times, hand off to Bijan/Rojo, and get Worthy the ball 3-4 times. God I hate Sark, Card, and PK. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

Okay okay guys so I think I understand now. Even tho both our lines suck, our DBs are bad, our best receiver is a hired mercenary that drops balls and gives up on most balls, and our play calling is predictable. Our HC is doing a good job bc he has a once in a lifetime QB, so without a once in a lifetime talent like Ewers, then what? And to be clear Manning is nowhere near Ewers as far as talent. Not even close. My last post for the day, unlike y’all I get pussy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 5

2 minutes ago, sportsbay said:

If Ewers daddy is keeping him from playing so that he doesn't hurt his NFL draft position, then next year we should have a long QB competition.  Let it linger past the transfer deadline and start Manning and never look back.

Yes, I’m sure the Mannings will be super hands off in regards to Archs health and NFL future 

• Haha 1