Kroger Delivery

F250

I recently saw a Kroger truck in North San Antonio and was confused because they were run out of town over 25 years ago. After seeing another one I looked into it. So it seems Kroger has moved it's grocery delivery service into HEB strongholds.

While I do love my HEB I don't mind spending less money on groceries. I am curious if anyone here has tried the service if it's worth using?

On 9/26/2022 at 9:50 AM, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Kroger is the “no go” zone for me.  A couple of years ago, they went self-checkout with all of the amenities of scanning, bagging, and reloading the cart by yourself.  Fuck them.

I see people on NextDoor complaining about this and I am confused. I don't like Kroger much at all, I go there because there is a brand spanking new Marketplace a half mile away. But I prefer this. I don't have to talk to anyone, I don't have to wait. What is the self scan experience like at other retailers? Anywhere I go with a self checkout it's like this. Last I heard Kroger was supposed to be debuting a self scan gun/cart computer that you take with you as you shop and bag as you shop, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

I see people on NextDoor complaining about this and I am confused. I don't like Kroger much at all, I go there because there is a brand spanking new Marketplace a half mile away. But I prefer this. I don't have to talk to anyone, I don't have to wait. What is the self scan experience like at other retailers? Anywhere I go with a self checkout it's like this. Last I heard Kroger was supposed to be debuting a self scan gun/cart computer that you take with you as you shop and bag as you shop, etc. 

I prefer self checkout pretty much anywhere because it's faster for only grabbing a few things crowd.  I would guess it's slower for those buying two weeks worth of groceries.

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I prefer self checkout pretty much anywhere because it's faster for only grabbing a few things crowd.  I would guess it's slower for those buying two weeks worth of groceries.

Exactly.  Shop to load the cart, unload and scan, bag, then reload the cart.  If they want to cut overhead, fine.  But, I choose not to do the tasks of those folks replaced by a machine.  I’ll reconsider when the machine takes unpaid me out of their labor loop.

I do relent when I need a couple of items.  But, if one’s planning is organized, those trips are few and far between …

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/26/2022 at 8:50 AM, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Kroger is the “no go” zone for me.  A couple of years ago, they went self-checkout with all of the amenities of scanning, bagging, and reloading the cart by yourself.  Fuck them.

So they're like every other store?

On 9/27/2022 at 9:47 AM, Baboontyme said:

Exactly, now if they could just invent those robot barbers they imagined in the 50s life would be perfect.

On 9/26/2022 at 9:50 AM, VirginiaLonghorn said:

What’s wrong with that? I can bag my groceries better than most cashiers. I make sure my bread doesn’t get smashed. And I’m making a game out of memorizing PLU codes for produce. (4011 is bananas.)

all the krogers here are harris teeters and they have both, but the human checkout lines are stupid in a way that is hard to describe. Basically, the line is behind the cashier, and you step out in front of the register while they unload your cart and then pull it through. Of course, i have a fucking toddler sitting in the cart and that doesn't work for me so I just don't shop there. Not hard since it is both shittier and somehow generally more expensive than the other options. Goddammit I miss HEB.

Wegmans here tried the "scan it with your phone, load it into your bag, walk right out" thing but the cancelled it due to the amount of theft that was occurring. 

I'm surprised that there are Krogers anywhere with nobody working the checkout, unless we're talking about "can't find enough cashiers at $12/hr to man the lines at 9pm" or whatever pandemic weirdness we're still living in. As an almost 40 year old, every grocery store I've shopped at my entire adult life has had both self checkout and traditional lines.

• 4 weeks later...