9.26.22 Coach Sark press conference @ 11AM

bigup2dahorns

Point: Sark: "For the most part we blocked pretty well in the run game"

Counterpoint: Modern Analytics and Common Sense: Take away the two long runs of 40 and 22, rush stats were 28 rushes for 87 yards (3.1 yds/carry). RJ averaged 1.7 yds/carry on 9 carries. Every Wildcat play. You did not.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

I don't mind Sark playing things close to the vest, like QB issues.

My problem with these PCs is the media -- I mean, when Kurt Bowels is the only guy who hints at the lack of adjustment but then builds in an easy out right in his question, it's infuriating.

Just say "Coach, why do double digit second half leads turn into losses so often?".  Then shut up and see if he answers.

Point: Sark: "For the most part we blocked pretty well in the run game"
Counterpoint: Modern Analytics and Common Sense: Take away the two long runs of 40 and 22, rush stats were 28 rushes for 87 yards (3.1 yds/carry). RJ averaged 1.7 yds/carry on 9 carries. Every Wildcat play. You did not.

Yeah if he said that that’s dumb as fuck

28 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Kurt asks why this team isn’t better after a year and a half of Sark

Don't worry Sark so do some sunshine pumpers on here. Some of us on the other hand see Tech and see the exact same shit from last year where you are lost once things start to go sideways. Especially after your answer when asked what went wrong with the defense and you said we did not play tight enough coverage like we did early in the year. A head coach instead of a fucking OC on the sideline would have corrected that during the game instead of having to watch tape.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't mind Sark playing things close to the vest, like QB issues.

My problem with these PCs is the media -- I mean, when Kurt Bowels is the only guy who hints at the lack of adjustment but then builds in an easy out right in his question, it's infuriating.

Just say "Coach, why do double digit second half leads turn into losses so often?".  Then shut up and see if he answers.

"Coach, you talked before the season about wanting to be more aggressive on defense. We saw that with multiple exotic blitzes against Alabama and it seemed to work. What happened to the aggression on defense in Saturday's game and can we expect to see a more aggressive, attacking defense that does not allow for such large cushions on receivers going forward?"

• Hook 'Em 2

Strong and Herman always said the same stuff after a infuriating loss and so did sark last year. We played hard, we blocked well, we did enough to win, no talk of a DC change becaise it won’t ever happen. Rinse, repeat. Enjoy two more years of sark till he’s fired. Same shit and they deal with everything the same. 

• Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

He's pretty good at not actually answering the questions or saying anything of substance. Head coaches must have seminars about how to fuck with journalists like that

I actually know quite a bit about this and it isn't as straight forward as you think.

I wouldn't say they have seminars, per se.  What I would say is that there comes a time when you have to buckle down and learn things and only by learning the things that are important can you apply that knowledge in a way that maximizes the effort put in to learning the knowledge.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Strong and Herman always said the same stuff after a infuriating loss and so did sark last year. We played hard, we blocked well, we did enough to win, no talk of a DC change becaise it won’t ever happen. Rinse, repeat. Enjoy two more years of sark till he’s fired. Same shit and they deal with everything the same. 

I don't really need a coach to say cool things at a Press Conference. I have no issues if our next coach says the same things.

I just want different results.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Look even if Ewers was ready to go, Sark isn't going to say shit. I actually appreciate that. I don't need to know who is playing until game day, I don't bet on this shit.

I understand that thought, and typically agree...but in this particular situation it seems to me (and yeah, I don't know shit) that getting it out there that QE is starting gets some momentum going both inside and outside of the team.  But yeah...it all boils down to making plays, so none of that shit really matters.  I'll just choose to believe he's going to start and that magically everything will be better.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

It is amazing how deja vu it is... Like nothing has changed at all. 

• Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

I think he was saying 1/3 of the touches usually equates to 20-25.....that game it happened to be 17

We had 30 rushes and 30 passes so that math doesn’t even check out. 
It just doesn’t make sense that with a lead in the second half we stopped going to Bijan

• Like 1

1 minute ago, turtlepond said:

Stating that the wildcat is going to continue to have a role in play calling…is that the tell that Ewers isn’t playing Saturday?

I mean, running some shitty zone read that nobody buys at all, in no way quells the absence of Q, so honestly I do not associate the two together at all. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

None of these pussies asked if he’s considering a change at DC??

He was asked by Bohls..."Your team is not any better so are you considering any staff changes (and lineup changes)?

Sarkisian's response was above....we're better but you're just not seeing it. Or some such.

6 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

He was asked by Bohls..."Your team is not any better so are you considering any staff changes (and lineup changes)?

Sarkisian's response was above....we're better but you're just not seeing it. Or some such.

Again, it was Bowels' swallowing the meat of the question and giving Sark an out that led to that answer.  Ask one question.  Just one.  Don't editorialize, don't ramble, just ask one fucking question, and (maybe) an insulting, difficult question.  Sark is slick enough to dance around the grey these guys put up for him to answer.

5 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

We're the best 3-8 over our last 11 games team in the country.  You just have to look at more meaningful metrics than wins and losses.  Like, for example, friends made along the way.  

Lessons learned is a big one as well....not necessarily learned and acted upon, just learned

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

If you tune in to watch these you’re a sick fuck and you should seek help immediately.

This is true. And a large reason why is that no matter how shitty of a coach we've had the local media manages to be even worse every single week. 

Based on this thread there wasn't a single question about why we chose not to consistently pressure a quarterback who had something like a 22 passer rating against pressure coming into the game. We played against a quarterback who had shown the only thing he was decent at was hitting underneath stuff and we chose to let him throw underneath stuff all game. 

Basic fucking journalism is more beyond their grasp than good gameday coaching is beyond Sarkisian, Herman, and Strong.

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Again, it was Bowels' swallowing the meat of the question and giving Sark an out that led to that answer.  Ask one question.  Just one.  Don't editorialize, don't ramble, I just ask one fucking question, and (maybe) an insulting, difficult question.  Sark is slick enough to dance around the grey these guys put up for him to answer.

I don't care about Bohls but I think he asked one question:  "Are you considering any staff or lineup changes"? 

If I misquoted let me know what was asked. I could have missed it. 

Just now, Wally Pryor said:

I don't care about Bohls but I think he asked one question:  "Are you considering any staff or lineup changes"? 

If I misquoted let me know what was asked. I could have missed it. 

When I heard it I felt like he really swallowed "staff".  It was a poorly asked question, because Sark never addressed "staff".  I don't recall the exact wording, though, and I'm  sure not gonna go back to find it.

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

When I heard it I felt like he really swallowed "staff".  It was a poorly asked question, because Sark never addressed "staff".  I don't recall the exact wording, though, and I'm  sure not gonna go back to find it.

Couldn't exactly understand him through the drool that had built up in his mouth, but something like:

"....yeah...why...would you say a year and a half into your tenure your team isn't any better......andryou planning uh any changestothelineup.........or staff?"

Don't worry Sark so do some sunshine pumpers on here. Some of us on the other hand see Tech and see the exact same shit from last year where you are lost once things start to go sideways. Especially after your answer when asked what went wrong with the defense and you said we did not play tight enough coverage like we did early in the year. A head coach instead of a fucking OC on the sideline would have corrected that during the game instead of having to watch tape.

What’s frustrating is there is some improvement. The run defense is significantly better. The pass rush is slightly better; mostly because the bar for that comparison is so low it’s basically in hell, but it’s still better. The OL is better in pass pro; they aren’t getting just crushed by simple twists and stunts any more. Christian Jones is playing much better football. Hudson Card is better. Fewer dropped passes.

It would seem that the main issue(s) carrying over from last year are the ones wearing the headsets.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Sark says they are sticking with the Wildcat

And that’s it for todays PC . . .

This makes me feel as though QE is waaay more injured than expected and IF he comes back for OU then color me shocked. I bet this is just a slow burn to keep the wheels from falling off. Which leads me to...

46 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

It's awesome that you see a lot of improvement, but you're 7-9 here.  It would be super cool if the rest of us saw some improvement.

You are what your record says you are. 

• Hook 'Em 1