Overrated Food Places

TexArcher

14 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

My company just brought in Freebirds for lunch and man is this a mediocre burrito.  Flame away, but I could've made this at home.

Also, In-and-Out sucks.  

Let's argue.

But, aside from the brainwashed masses in College Station, is Freebirds actually "rated" enough to be considered "overrated?"

For what it's worth, my aggie wife likes Chipotle a lot better than Freebirds.

Torchy’s and Hopdoddy’s. Torchy’s just sucks.

I had a mushroom Swiss burger, truffle fries, and a birthday cake milkshake from hopdoddys once 3 years ago. Worst food poisoning of my life, vomited 3 times and had apocalyptic diarrhea. Never been back. Food was mediocre to boot.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:
12 minutes ago, Macanudo said:
Chuy's should make the list.

For you guys, yes. For us not in TX it's one of the best options.

Yeah, that's fair.  My dad took me to his favorite Tex-Mex place in Ohio and I wouldn't let my dog eat that fajita meat.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

So much this.  I hate steakhouses for this reason.  My steaks I make at home are 10x better than any I've had in a restaurant.

Usually, when I'm at a steakhouse, I order the lamb because my wife hates lamb and doesn't make it very often for me (and when she does, she tends to overcook it).

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Agreed on Hopdoddy.  Crown & Anchor is better for both burgers and fries, quite a bit less expensive, and no line.

Yep.  Honestly, when we're doing "we really want just a good burger and fries," it's either Mighty Fine (I think their quality has declined, but they're still solid, and my wife loves the place) or Top Notch.  I love me some Top Notch, and I can get a chargrilled cheeseburger, tots and a drink for half of what it would cost at Hopdoddy, which is just...good.  I won't turn it down, but it doesn't blow me away.

And Torchy's blows.  The only thing worth getting there is the queso.  Storebought tortillas and expensive gringo-fied tacos.  It's everything worth hating in a restaurant.

• Hook 'Em 1

Pretty much every fast food or family restaurant chain becomes overrated once your kids graduate from the kids menu.  That first time at a restaurant when they order adult entrees and you get the bill.
200.gif

As a parent, avoid the urge for your children to have elevated palates or like shit you do. If you’ve never seen the bill after a pair 13 year olds plow through a fucking boat or two of sushi you will wish they ate only Totinos pizza. Teach them you’re sacrificing eating a steak over hot dogs. That chicken necks are the best part or whatever part you hate.
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

But, aside from the brainwashed masses in College Station, is Freebirds actually "rated" enough to be considered "overrated?"

For what it's worth, my aggie wife likes Chipotle a lot better than Freebirds.

Both Freebirds and Chipotle suck and the only reason one gets the nod over the other is the locations near you and which is better. I will say Freebirds was better hands down back in the day but now are a former shell of themselves with too many options to keep them all fresh. Chipotle is just mediocre but more consistent. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

My company just brought in Freebirds for lunch and man is this a mediocre burrito.  Flame away, but I could've made this at home.

Also, In-and-Out sucks.  

Let's argue.

I'm just going to tell you--if your office is bringing in Freebirds over Cabo Bob's, it may be time to seek other opportunities elsewhere.

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I love me some Top Notch, and I can get a chargrilled cheeseburger, tots and a drink for half of what it would cost at Hopdoddy, which is just...good. 

Seems like Top Notch dialed back their menu.  Their fried chicken is now a 2 piece dinner or 12 pieces a la carte.  Kind of a wide spread.

image.jpeg.fd0b1c2704a742bf62e89464aef5c8fd.jpeg

Joe T Garcia’s. Had a cousin come to town and invite to dinner there. He lived here 30 fucking years. That’s his Jones for TexMex when in Cali. We went. First time since 92. Goddamn it was bad. I’m like you know we have some better places five minutes away.

Fuzzy’s Tacos. Torchy’s. Most restaurants by Tim Love. Or Grady Spears. Mama’s Pizza. Del Frisco’s. Most craft barbecue joints. Nobu, any Flay or Gordon Ramsay place, and really any celebrity chef restaurant.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

The list has to start with Matt's El Rancho, doesn't it?

Negged

Yeah their basic Tex mex sucks. But order any of the specialty dishes/tacos/enchiladas or even seafood and it hits the spot for sure. Sunday after the Alabama game had a large Bob and order of Matt potatoes for the table, Asadero tacos and 2 Mexican martinis. Slammed and went hard.

• Hook 'Em 4

26 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

As a parent, avoid the urge for your children to have elevated palates or like shit you do. If you’ve never seen the bill after a pair 13 year olds plow through a fucking boat or two of sushi you will wish they ate only Totinos pizza. Teach them you’re sacrificing eating a steak over hot dogs. That chicken necks are the best part or whatever part you hate.

co-sign.  When my 8 yr old daughter plowed through my platter of a dozen chargrilled at Felix's, so I had to order another dozen for myself, I knew beyond a doubt that I was hosed.

But in a helpful development, when you send them away to school with a set monthly stipend -- much of which they choose to spend on fun things like boozing and cheap trips -- they learn to eat on a budget VERY quickly.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Negged

Yeah their basic Tex mex sucks. But order any of the specialty dishes/tacos/enchiladas or even seafood and it hits the spot for sure. Sunday after the Alabama game had a large Bob and order of Matt potatoes for the table, Asadero tacos and 2 Mexican martinis. Slammed and went hard.

Lol it's not overrated but you have to order very specifically and not just anything on the menu to get something good,  and two of those items are queso and cheese fries. Think Matt's fits the definition.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

17 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Joe T Garcia’s. Had a cousin come to town and invite to dinner there. He lived here 30 fucking years. That’s his Jones for TexMex when in Cali. We went. First time since 92. Goddamn it was bad. I’m like you know we have some better places five minutes away.

Fuzzy’s Tacos. Torchy’s. Most restaurants by Tim Love. Or Grady Spears. Mama’s Pizza. Del Frisco’s. Most craft barbecue joints. Nobu, any Flay or Gordon Ramsay place, and really any celebrity chef restaurant.

Fuzzy's is pretty terrible. I'm not sure how the one by Love Field remains in business.

I like Joe T's but it's also because I don't live in FW and make it there once a year (if that). Of course it could be nostalgia because I just like the vibe there.

Used to really like Torchy's when it first came to Dallas. Haven't been in years. I recall the fried avocado taco being really good but it's hard to get past bad store-bought tortillas when that's all you do. They should be cranking out house-made tortillas by the pile. The queso is damn good though.

24 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

No shit.  When we do sushi, I have them bring out some rolls first.  That way they can gorge on that before the nigiri comes out.  I love that my boys eat all the shit we do, though.  When we went to Montreal, we ate at a place that does true nose to tail stuff.  Me, wife and youngest all split a pig's head and the oldest had duck with foie gras.  It was a very memorable meal and one that would not have happened if our kids only ate chicken nuggets.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Used to really like Torchy's when it first came to Dallas. Haven't been in years. I recall the fried avocado taco being really good but it's hard to get past bad store-bought tortillas when that's all you do. They should be cranking out house-made tortillas by the pile. The queso is damn good though.

Torchy's claims their queso has soy in it.  I can't figure out why queso would contain soy.  Maybe the Diablo sauce?  (I have a soy allergy, but I seem to tolerate that dish.  It ain't bad.)

Just now, mycox said:

Texadelphia. It's shit compared to what it was years ago

Same for Delaware Subs.  One location left, death rattle is audible.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Maybe so -- but I still make it by the Old Town location (acquaintances own it now) or the newest one over on Mockingbird by Love Field from time to time.

Old town location still good? Used to live at the village and ate their once a week. Large Texican with waffle fries. Around ten mustard blend dipping cups lol.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Chic-fil-a

Thread should have began and end with this post. 

56 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Same for Delaware Subs.  One location left, death rattle is audible.

Hate to hear that about Delaware Subs, their chicken cheesesteak was a go to for back in the day. 

33 minutes ago, Covri said:

Old town location still good? Used to live at the village and ate their once a week. Large Texican with waffle fries. Around ten mustard blend dipping cups lol.

Yeah, I think it's still good. My favorite Dallas Texadelphia will always be the old house in Uptown where Hotel Zaza is now. That location/place was killer. Tom Landis sold Old Town and another to a couple we know from my kids' school. They're nice enough folks and I should go more. The one by Love Field is more of a sports bar with an expanded menu beyond cheesesteaks/burgers. It's not a waste of time by any stretch.

The Texican is my jam too with the 2-ounce sidecar of queso (and mustard blend). Trouble is my system HATES me later because I eat too many japs with it. I'm making my own mustard blend at home now based on the Texadelphia recipe posted here (or at the other site) and it's pretty fucking good on lots of stuff!

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

No shit.  We drop $80-100 every time the 4 of us eat out. If there's drinks involved, all bets are off.

Add P. Terry's to the list.  Those are some mediocre burgers and fries. They're barely above McD's and way below Sonic.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Add P. Terry's to the list.  Those are some mediocre burgers and fries. They're barely above McD's and way below Sonic.

I quite like their fries, for fast food.  Can't let 'em cool off, though.  They get noodlier than a Longhorn safety in the 4th quarter.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

16 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I actually like P. Terry's for a "let's grab a burger and fries we're going to eat right away in the car" option.  As JJ says, the fries are good when they are immediately out of the fryer, and it's a decent drive-through burger.  It's not someplace we seek out for something special, but if we're grabbing drive thru for road eats, we like it.  In other words, it's good for what it is.  But take it home....and yeah, you've got an average burger and limp fries.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Native Horn said:

oh shit, buckle up

Yes I know. Took my wife there once after reading all the love it gets from this board. We both ordered the standard enchilada plate. They use so much of that fake tex-mex melting cheese it's overpowering. If you really love fake melting cheese then enchiladas y mas is your spot.