Overrated Food Places

TexArcher

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

So much this.  I hate steakhouses for this reason.  My steaks I make at home are 10x better than any I've had in a restaurant.

People always want a steakhouse when they come to Amarillo.  Just make it at home.  You'll be glad you did.

I LOL'ed at Freebirds and/or Chipotle in this discussion.  My boys love that shit and I tell them that's exactly what it is.  It's out there to keep the pasty white fuckers from making the lines too long at legit taco places/ trucks.

10 minutes ago, elguapo said:

I have dined in some of the finest tex-mex establishments that SA and Corpus have to offer, EYM is not that.

As have I -- my people are from S. Texas.  EYM fits in with them.  It's not the best I've ever had, but it's damned good.

Of course, the Dart Bowl was my gold standard.  Even my McAllen High grad mom said "holy shit, they taste like The White Kitchen in Mac back in the day."  God I miss those enchiladas.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, justhookit said:

Negged

Yeah their basic Tex mex sucks. But order any of the specialty dishes/tacos/enchiladas or even seafood and it hits the spot for sure. Sunday after the Alabama game had a large Bob and order of Matt potatoes for the table, Asadero tacos and 2 Mexican martinis. Slammed and went hard.

You know after a day drinking downtown, I found their CFS to be freaking fantastic. 

Mighty Fine.  Overcooked burgers brought to you by the Dominos pizza oven conveyor belt.  (don't try to order medium rare, they act like it will break the kitchen)

Lucy's fried chicken - it's 80% par baked

Pint House Pizza - should drop the pizza from the name

Chipotle, but does anyone rate this as good?

23 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

El Tiempo. Their margaritas sucks ass and their fajitas are hilariously overpriced. Pappasitos blows them outta the water

and Snows. I mean, Snows is good, but its not even in the top 25 best cue joints in Texas imo

Pappasito's is overrated.

Some of you have too high of standards for places that are meant to be barely a step above McDonalds or Taco Bell. If you’re ordering from a counter it’s just fast food without a drive thru.  Freebird, Chipotle, Mighty Fine, etc shouldn’t be compared to places you sit down with a waiter serving you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, futureman said:

hot take!

sad to hear.  probably ate 500 sizemores in the aughts.  haven't been in years, though.

I finally made it to the remaining Delaware Subs last year, hoping to enjoy a large cheesesteak for the first time in a long time. It was horrible. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, TornACL said:

They're all fine for what they are, and they're an efficient way to cram two days worth of calories into your fat mouth in about five minutes.

Yeah but chipotle isn't that anymore. They skimp on everything. I think a burrito with everything including cheese and sour cream is maybe 1,000 calories? With like a third of that just being the tortilla. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

El Tiempo. Their margaritas sucks ass and their fajitas are hilariously overpriced. Pappasitos blows them outta the water

and Snows. I mean, Snows is good, but its not even in the top 25 best cue joints in Texas imo

El Tiempo is garbage 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

Pappasitos fajitas are hard to beat

Lupe Tortilla and Mariano’s in Dallas are definitely better. Pappasitos used to do half priced fajitas on Wednesdays, which made it semi-reasonable, and there was one half a mile from the house and we would get it to go often.  When we first started doing that it was something like $23. The last time we did it was $45.

• Hook 'Em 1

Whataburger.

I said it and I own it until I can get a Jalapeño Cheddar sausage, egg and cheese biscuit. 

Most places seem to suck these days be it staffing issues, supply chain issues, etc.  more frequently we will go out to eat and I’m left thinking to myself I could probably do it better myself. 

Edited by Call
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, deadshank said:

Any steak prepared at a steak house. 

Any  expensive, chi chi “New American” bistro.  

I’ll be coming out of the red corner.   Put your mouthpiece in. You’ll need it. 

7 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

So much this.  I hate steakhouses for this reason.  My steaks I make at home are 10x better than any I've had in a restaurant.

I agree on the steakhouses, I usually order Chilean sea bass if they have it, freakin love that fish. And yes, I can absolutely do a better steak than most steak places, just sometimes I want to be waited on and have a drink and relax.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

I agree on the steakhouses, I usually order Chilean sea bass if they have it, freakin love that fish. And yes, I can absolutely do a better steak than most steak places, just sometimes I want to be waited on and have a drink and relax.

Yeah, I've done fish at steakhouses quite a bit, but I've found that only maybe 50% of them know how to properly cook fish.  So it ends up being an expensive, shitty meal.

I have zero issues paying for expensive meals, but they better be good.

• Hook 'Em 1

PF Changs
Cheesecake Factory
Red Lobster/Olive Garden
All are absolutely trash. All have an hour wait on a weekend afternoon and evening. F that noise. 

I will push back on Cheesecake Factory. It’s all made in house. I’ve never had an average meal there. The shrimp and bacon club was the best sandwich I ever had. It’s a good place when you have picky eaters or it’s late at night.

I’m so old that Red Lobster was fancy eats when I was a kid in the 70’s. Back then any fish outside catfish and shrimp were a challenge to find away from the coasts. People would go there for anniversaries and birthdays wearing suits and ties.
  • Like 1

Some of y’all need to readjust what over rated means. Can a fast casual place be over rated?  Can it even be rated ? Fast food is for garbage fat people. Saying one chain is over rated over another is dumb. Some locations are good and others are terrible.

Helobious or whatever the fuck his name is with another horrible take. I got food poisoning from a restaurant even though he has no proof of that he is just being a little cocksucker like he always is. 

Tex- Mex I can get behind some being over rated but it’s really what you like at the restaurant, I think most places should condense their menu and execute better on those.

If you don’t spend at least $100 in our great inflation times on meal the place can’t be overrated you just don’t like it.

I’ll get off my soapbox.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

PF Changs
Cheesecake Factory
Red Lobster/Olive Garden

All are absolutely trash. All have an hour wait on a weekend afternoon and evening. F that noise. 

Who in the fuck overrates these places? That's like saying cheddars or applebees are overrated. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

PF Changs
Cheesecake Factory
Red Lobster/Olive Garden

If you watch Cobra Kai, Johnny took his son and kinda son to Oliver Garden because he thought it was a fancy dinner. Tour of Italy ftw!

2 hours ago, Call said:

Most places seem to suck these days be it staffing issues, supply chain issues, etc.  more frequently we will go out to eat and I’m left thinking to myself I could probably do it better myself. 

Aint this the truth. Between inflation and shitty service the number of bad dining experiences has increased for me.

1 hour ago, chainsaw said:

Who are the ad wizards who thought Delaware is a place that evokes culinary greatness

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Call said:

Whataburger.

I said it and I own it until I can get a Jalapeño Cheddar sausage, egg and cheese biscuit. 

First thing I thought of when I read the thread title. I used to love it, even signed up for that secret shopper program years ago that let you eat whataburger for free, because why not. But I had a run of about 4 consecutive trips where the food was meh and/or they fucked up my drive through order, so i just stopped going. Now that I'm like a mile from the Crown, they get my burger money. Those boys in Chicago can eat a dick.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Couldn't decide on the proper response so I give you two:

giphy.gif

or

get-out-leave.gif

6 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Mi Cocina is everything bad about Dallas put on a combo plate. Fucking chips in a little silver bowl. That says it all.

Not gonna argue but those Mambos 'doe

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

Yeah but chipotle isn't that anymore. They skimp on everything. I think a burrito with everything including cheese and sour cream is maybe 1,000 calories? With like a third of that just being the tortilla. 

How fucking gluttonous are you if a Chipotle burrito or all of that burrito mess dumped in a bowl isn't enough food? 'Murica.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I think the primary difference in freebirds and Chipotle, is Chipotle delivers their A game with the listeria. They’ve killed as many folks as Blue Bell.

At least Chipotle was a responsible enough company to really work to fix their problem. Blue Bell, not so much.

Interesting takes in this thread. 

The Cheesecake Factory’s menu is about 50 pages. Ain’t nobody got time for that shit. 

Pappasitos doubled their fajita prices during the pandemic and it’s somehow cheaper than El T. I’d check your receipts bubba. 

I don’t think Whataburger has a Chicago problem. They have a regarded employees problem. The San Felipe location still slams, but they screw up my order so frequently I won’t use the drive thru. 

Rinse and repeat for Chick fil a. They had very high hiring standards and paid a good wage when they first moved to Texas. Every kid in high school wanted to work there. Now it’s all shithead 20 somethings that didn’t finish high school. The quality and service is suffering. You can’t fake nice and not give a shit at the same time. 

Give me Lupe Tortilla as the most overrated in Houston. Every location with the exception of the original is subpar. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Growing up in Texas I’m enraged that 49 states out there believe Torchys is a good representative of a taco from Texas. Every one of us should be united in our hatred for that garbage food. 

It would be perfectly acceptable texmex if they made their own tortillas.  For a year or so they were the nearest purveyor of breakfast tacos, and when you’re a little groggy on a Saturday morning distance matters.  That lasted 3 or 4 weeks. After that experiment I chose to drive a little farther.

1 hour ago, woohorn said:

Really? Yo-dish it....

Here's a thread from the fat cunt's website back in 2007. Beware the blinking envelope: https://www.hornfans.com/threads/texadelphias-mustard-blend.10167/

Basically, it's two parts mayo, one part spicy brown mustard and mix in teriyaki sauce until you get it right. Macanudo chimes in a little later and suggests using honey teriyaki, which I do now -- and it's great. I believe I've done two cups of Duke's mayo, one cup of Gulden's Spicy Brown Mustard and then a tablespoon of teriyaki and a tablespoon of honey and it's pretty freakin' close to the OG mustard blend. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

13 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I don’t think Whataburger has a Chicago problem. They have a regarded employees problem. The San Felipe location still slams, but they screw up my order so frequently I won’t use the drive thru. 

Rinse and repeat for Chick fil a. They had very high hiring standards and paid a good wage when they first moved to Texas. Every kid in high school wanted to work there. Now it’s all shithead 20 somethings that didn’t finish high school. The quality and service is suffering. You can’t fake nice and not give a shit at the same time. 

Whataburger employees are generally among the worst in the fast food industry.

I still love CFA. Always will. Most of the ones that I frequent are run like machines and the employees are either really good or the processes are so tight, they can't possibly fuck things up.

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Whataburger employees are generally among the worst in the fast food industry.

I still love CFA. Always will. Most of the ones that I frequent are run like machines and the employees are either really good or the processes are so tight, they can't possibly fuck things up.

I know the owner of the highest volume CFA in Dallas.  CFA has requirements for the franchisee’s involvement in day to day operations.  It works.  I still get it occasionally despite the fact that I disagree with their corporate overlords.