Overrated Food Places

TexArcher

9 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Five guys fries suck and much as in n out. Whataburger sucks now for the most part. Braums is my burger spot 

We had a 5Guys for a year or so in the eastern block of the state.  That place was gross.  The food wasn't terrible when you eventually got your order.  But the restaurant always was a pig sty and usually empty.  It closed and nobody noticed.

Edited by dcbc

10 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I will push back on Cheesecake Factory. It’s all made in house. I’ve never had an average meal there. The shrimp and bacon club was the best sandwich I ever had. It’s a good place when you have picky eaters or it’s late at night.

I’m so old that Red Lobster was fancy eats when I was a kid in the 70’s. Back then any fish outside catfish and shrimp were a challenge to find away from the coasts. People would go there for anniversaries and birthdays wearing suits and ties.

Those menus are like D&D rulebooks

• Haha 2

I’m glad I’m in agreement with a lot of these opinions.

Can’t stand Mi Cocina or Mesero- we always end up at one of these places when we go to dinner with friends. Give me a hole in the wall Texmex place any day of the week.

Joe T’s only has like 4 things on the menu and they’re all extremely average. Not worth going out of my way for.

There’s a pizza franchise in Dallas called “mama’s” that people who’ve lived here their whole life rave about but in reality sucks. I’d rather heat up a Red Baron pizza than eat that garbage.

Lastly….. I have to admit that I don’t care for Fletcher’s corn dogs (or any corn dogs for that matter). State Fair food sucks altogether.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, I'm on team y'all don't know what overrated means.  At this point in the thread only Snow's (agreed; it's overrated), EYM, and maybe Hopdoddy could be considered overrated.  Everything else is generally already considered mediocre to acceptable, which is right on point for most popular/accessible places.  

• Hook 'Em 2

57 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Lastly….. I have to admit that I don’t care for Fletcher’s corn dogs (or any corn dogs for that matter). State Fair food sucks altogether.

yes. it's a corn dog, and it's not worth waiting 30 minutes for. it might be significantly better than all other corn dogs but i wouldn't know, i'm not 6.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

Yeah, I'm on team y'all don't know what overrated means.  At this point in the thread only Snow's (agreed; it's overrated), EYM, and maybe Hopdoddy could be considered overrated.  Everything else is generally already considered mediocre to acceptable, which is right on point for most popular/accessible places.  

Co-signed 

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

We had a 5Guys for a year or so in the eastern block of the state.  That place was gross.  The food wasn't terrible when you eventually got your order.  But the restaurant was always a pig sty and usually empty.  It closed and nobody noticed.

I've had 5 Guys from time to time - when it's fresh (eaten in the restaurant) and the fries are cooked properly and are fresh, and hit with their cajun seasoning, it's good.  But not as good as all the raves about "ZOMG BEST BURGER PLACE EVER!"  It's a decent burger and fries.  And is usually overpriced.  I'll eat it, and enjoy it, but it definitely fits the "overrated" category.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Only 1000 calories? What a scam!

The post I responded to characterized a burrito as two days worth of calories. Unless you're a dainty little schoolgirl that ain't that. 

10 hours ago, C-Man said:

How fucking gluttonous are you if a Chipotle burrito or all of that burrito mess dumped in a bowl isn't enough food? 'Murica.

I'm not a big burrito guy. Like I said - the tortilla is a big portion of the calories there. A bowl is maybe 800 calories if you're throwing in cheese and sour cream and guac (which is like $12 at that point). No - that isn't a very substantial meal for someone that burns ~2,500 a day and eats just two meals and doesn't snack. I get way more bang for my buck somewhere like cabo bob's. 

And regardless of value Chipotle is extremely average anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I've had 5 Guys from time to time - when it's fresh (eaten in the restaurant) and the fries are cooked properly and are fresh, and hit with their cajun seasoning, it's good.  But not as good as all the raves about "ZOMG BEST BURGER PLACE EVER!"  It's a decent burger and fries.  And is usually overpriced.  I'll eat it, and enjoy it, but it definitely fits the "overrated" category.

Yeah, overrated doesn't mean bad. Alabama was probably an overrated team, but Alabama isn't a bad football team.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

When it comes to "prepared by someone else right in front of you while you decide what goes in it" burritos, Cabo Bob's is the best and it's not even close.

This is correct.  They make their own tortillas, literally fresh right there in front of you.  Their meat is grilled over charcoal on ceramic grills.  And if you order it as catering, you get trays of fresh tortillas and really good grilled meats ready to go -- it's a damned good option.

Are their tacos/burritos as good as my grandmas, or something from a great little trailer?  Naah, but they're still pretty damned good.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

This is correct.  They make their own tortillas, literally fresh right there in front of you.  Their meat is grilled over charcoal on ceramic grills.  And if you order it as catering, you get trays of fresh tortillas and really good grilled meats ready to go -- it's a damned good option.

Are their tacos/burritos as good as my grandmas, or something from a great little trailer?  Naah, but they're still pretty damned good.

I'm surprised they haven't moved away from the fresh tortillas but I will enjoy it while it lasts.

I would say Freebirds is a distant #2, and I suppose Chipotle would be #3 by default unless I'm forgetting someone.

1 hour ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

people who’ve lived here their whole life rave about but in reality sucks

Every city has something like this.  Often, it falls into the Tex-Mex category and sometimes involves a place that once was good, but has fallen off, but the people who grew up with it still go there and rave about it.  I am guilty of this with Molina's in Houston.  I grew up with it.  I always loved it.  If I go there, I will happily eat it.  But deep down, I suspect I have fallen prey to enjoying it mostly for nostalgia's sake.  In Tyler, that restaurant was Gilbert's El Charro.  Some people here inexplicably raved about that shit.  I, a transplant from Houston, thought it was awful.  A friend of mine (also a transplant) compared the guacamole to mushed up green crayons. 

Edited by dcbc

3 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I'm surprised they haven't moved away from the fresh tortillas but I will enjoy it while it lasts.

I would say Freebirds is a distant #2, and I suppose Chipotle would be #3 by default unless I'm forgetting someone.

Oh, there's a place lower on that list:

staff.jpg

Sadness is being stuck at Boston Logan on a long weather delay, and needing to eat lunch there.  Through the glass, you can see into the adjacent terminal, with a Legal Seafood, with a great bar where you can get a beer, a bowl of chowder, maybe some fried clams.....while you are stuck in a terminal where your choices are Panera or Moe's.  Sadness is eating a motherfucking shitty fastfood burrito in motherfucking BOSTON when you can see a steaming bowl of clam chowder from your seat.

Not that I'm still bitter or anything.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, there's a place lower on that list:

staff.jpg

Sadness is being stuck at Boston Logan on a long weather delay, and needing to eat lunch there.  Through the glass, you can see into the adjacent terminal, with a Legal Seafood, with a great bar where you can get a beer, a bowl of chowder, maybe some fried clams.....while you are stuck in a terminal where your choices are Panera or Moe's.  Sadness is eating a motherfucking shitty fastfood burrito in motherfucking BOSTON when you can see a steaming bowl of clam chowder from your seat.

Not that I'm still bitter or anything.

I ate at one of those stores once.

Once.

They didn’t last long. They’re gone now. 

1 hour ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

No

39 minutes ago, hornbri said:

Co-signed 

No

38 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yes

25 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Yeah, overrated doesn't mean bad. Alabama was probably an overrated team, but Alabama isn't a bad football team.

Yes

Overrated can apply to anything where a lot of people freak out about it, and it's not that good. When Krispy Kreme first came to Austin, there were lines of Californians a mile long waiting hours to get those donuts, telling all the rest of us that we had no idea what a good donut is.  Krispy Kreme is fine, but it's not worthy of the mass hysteria delivered upon it by the fanbois.  Thus, overrated.

Same goes for anything else that gets a ton of hype from certain groups of people, and it's not really all that deserving.

And like I said at the beginning of this thread, it's inevitably going to devolve into at least one person calling out as "overrated" something that is well-liked by others.  But the drama is hilarious, there's even some weirdos negging other folks on a food thread, so carry on and be the surly we all know and love.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, speed817 said:

Shake shack is overrated too

When it finally came to Austin, I was excited to go.  Talk about disappointment when the food arrived and it was the tiniest burger I'd ever seen. I swear it's smaller than the Jr Whataburger for kids.  I don't care what they say, that patty can't be much more than 1/8 pound. Just comically mediocre.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Deej said:

Guero's

Excellent nominee.  The only thing worthwhile there is their tacos al pastor, which are actually pretty damned good.  Everything else is pedestrian tex-mex -- it's good tex-mex if you have never had tex-mex before (e.g., tourists).  Otherwise, why would you choose to go there when there are numerous better options.

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Same goes for anything else that gets a ton of hype from certain groups of people, and it's not really all that deserving.

We are saying the same thing - who are all these people hyping places like Olive Garden and Cheesecake Factory? Those do not get a ton of “hype” people go there because they are cheap. 

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Excellent nominee.  The only thing worthwhile there is their tacos al pastor, which are actually pretty damned good.  Everything else is pedestrian tex-mex -- it's good tex-mex if you have never had tex-mex before (e.g., tourists).  Otherwise, why would you choose to go there when there are numerous better options.

Actually, their chicken especial enchiladas are tasty.  And their margs are good, although most places have caught up to the proper way to make a top shelf rocks 'rita.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Actually, their chicken especial enchiladas are tasty.  And their margs are good, although most places have caught up to the proper way to make a top shelf rocks 'rita.

Not that I want to get sucked into defending Guero’s but their Mole is pretty good too and they make corn tortillas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, hornbri said:

We are saying the same thing - who are all these people hyping places like Olive Garden and Cheesecake Factory? Those do not get a ton of “hype” people go there because they are cheap. 

Yeah I'll agree with you there.  And I also pointed out Freebirds as soon as it was mentioned  in the OP.  I don't think any of those places are "rated" enough, to ever be considered "overrated."

But there are lots of others mentioned, that do qualify.  Longorn1024 limited it to only three so far, and that's what I'm disagreeing with.  There are many places mentioned on this thread that ARE really hyped by their fanbois, and don't measure up, thus they're overrated.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It gets a neg from me solely because of the tiny salsa cups. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Deej said:

Has anyone mentioned Kerbey Lane, yet? Some of my worst restaurant experiences ever. Granted, many were in the middle of the night after being out drinking, but even fucking Denny's doesn't serve you room temperature coffee and food that isn't cooked. 

My daughter works there.  She agrees with you.

2 hours ago, Deej said:

Maybe, but Popeye's and Burger King employees hold the top two spots. 

Oh, for sure on Popeye's but Popeye's is more niche than Whataburger, at least in Texas. Whataburger *should* get better employees in this state. I can't speak to Burger King as I probably haven't eaten there since HS.

45 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Huh?  There are literally hundreds of them (heavy on the E. Coast).

I’m talking about the store I visited. Some friends and I had a bet on how long they’d last. They lasted just a little bit longer than any of us predicted. But it still wasn’t long. They didn’t last three years. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

14 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I will push back on Cheesecake Factory. It’s all made in house. I’ve never had an average meal there. The shrimp and bacon club was the best sandwich I ever had. It’s a good place when you have picky eaters or it’s late at night.

I’m so old that Red Lobster was fancy eats when I was a kid in the 70’s. Back then any fish outside catfish and shrimp were a challenge to find away from the coasts. People would go there for anniversaries and birthdays wearing suits and ties.

I remember that.  It's not just that shrimp and catfish were the only things available; it's that they were universally fried.  Growing up in San Antonio in the 70s and early-80s, Red Lobster was the place you went for any kind of seafood that wasn't fried shrimp and catfish.  I'm absolutely amazed by it now, but there just weren't real seafood purveyors in large parts of the country.

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

I remember that.  It's not just that shrimp and catfish were the only things available; it's that they were universally fried.  Growing up in San Antonio in the 70s and early-80s, Red Lobster was the place you went for any kind of seafood that wasn't fried shrimp and catfish.  I'm absolutely amazed by it now, but there just weren't real seafood purveyors in large parts of the country.

Marine electronics are what brought abundant seafood to market. We owned a boat dealership from 1977 till about 1982. TPWD had put stripers in Lake Whitney by then, and people caught them, but there was no way to target them. About 1982, Lowrance came out with their X-15 which was groundbreaking. First fish finder that had a graph, you could actually see the backs of the fish, and their numbers on the graph paper.

Up until that time, it was a little knowledge, and a whole lot of luck to catch anything. Shrimp are cheaper now, than when I was a kid in the 70's.

CHIEF 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

Marine electronics are what brought abundant seafood to market. We owned a boat dealership from 1977 till about 1982. TPWD had put stripers in Lake Whitney by then, and people caught them, but there was no way to target them. About 1982, Lowrance came out with their X-15 which was groundbreaking. First fish finder that had a graph, you could actually see the backs of the fish, and their numbers on the graph paper.

Up until that time, it was a little knowledge, and a whole lot of luck to catch anything. Shrimp are cheaper now, than when I was a kid in the 70's.

CHIEF 

That had something to do with it, I'm sure.  But I think a huge issue was also the complete lack of a supply chain.

When I was a kid in that same era, the produce aisle of the HEB was apples, oranges, iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, potatoes, onions, and then a few things that might be in season.  But you didn't get fucking asparagus.  There was no bok choy or pineapple.  All that shit was frozen.  I grew up hating brussels sprouts because they were frozen--you couldn't buy them fresh anywhere.  And what do you do with frozen brussels sprouts?  You fucking boil them, and that shit is fucking gross.

The improvement in containerization and logistics over the past 40 years is really astounding.

• Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, C-Man said:

Here's a thread from the fat cunt's website back in 2007. Beware the blinking envelope: https://www.hornfans.com/threads/texadelphias-mustard-blend.10167/

Basically, it's two parts mayo, one part spicy brown mustard and mix in teriyaki sauce until you get it right. Macanudo chimes in a little later and suggests using honey teriyaki, which I do now -- and it's great. I believe I've done two cups of Duke's mayo, one cup of Gulden's Spicy Brown Mustard and then a tablespoon of teriyaki and a tablespoon of honey and it's pretty freakin' close to the OG mustard blend. 

It'll come out pretty close using soy sauce too if you don't have teriyaki on hand.

Edited by Covri

17 hours ago, LebongJames said:

Some of y’all need to readjust what over rated means. Can a fast casual place be over rated?  Can it even be rated ? Fast food is for garbage fat people. Saying one chain is over rated over another is dumb. Some locations are good and others are terrible.

Helobious or whatever the fuck his name is with another horrible take. I got food poisoning from a restaurant even though he has no proof of that he is just being a little cocksucker like he always is. 

Tex- Mex I can get behind some being over rated but it’s really what you like at the restaurant, I think most places should condense their menu and execute better on those.

If you don’t spend at least $100 in our great inflation times on meal the place can’t be overrated you just don’t like it.

I’ll get off my soapbox.

I should’ve said it this way I guess… Hopdoddy’s fucking sucks, and their food almost fucking killed me. Better? 

• Hook 'Em 1