97.1 The Freak

RPM

Greggo killed the specialness of The Ticket. All of a sudden the reality of the same bullshit of life was here. Rhyner never really got it back. It became more of a business managed by non radio folks. We don’t know the reality of all the actual personalities. Catlin sounds like every manager I’ve ever dealt with when they lose a top producer or I tell them I’m leaving. It’s generally a sign that person is oblivious to the shitstorm they have created, that their folks are miserable, that everyone wishes they were somewhere else.

I’m still shaking my head that anyone with decision making authority thought keeping Corby in the afternoon drive slot was a good idea, and then mixing oil and water by putting Bob with him just made it worse. That spot was primed for being picked off.

If you buy the idea that the best part of the ticket, or at least what sets it apart from traditional sports radio, is the non-sports stuff, the proposed format will be a winner if they can get the personalities/ chemistry right

This is pretty similar to how the OGW started the little Ticket. Take a good chunk of the money you can't afford to spend then convince your friends to jump without a parachute with you. Hopefully in a couple years you are still on the air. I like the format they are using, Lifestyle Talk. It's not sports-centric and they can concentrate on what everybody likes on The Ticket. The between the sports stuff. The Downbeat is going to eviscerate "The Hardline" even with air support from the morning show.

IMHO if you want to pull off “Lifestyle Talk” you need some above average and interesting talent who are well versed in a variety of topics. Guess we’ll see.

32 minutes ago, nolongerU2horn said:

The Morning Show has almost zero chance of succeeding. 

Do you remember the Ticket's original morning show? I get what you're saying though. Realistically all they need to do is equal or beat 105.3. Not exactly climbing Mount Everest.

24 minutes ago, RPM said:

Do you remember the Ticket's original morning show? I get what you're saying though. Realistically all they need to do is equal or beat 105.3. Not exactly climbing Mount Everest.

Isn't that the guy Fox Sports is paying like 10 million a year to now?

52 minutes ago, mdmost said:

TC for sure as he's currently unemployed. Kinda feel like Danny might be done with radio, especially if he felt like Corby did about Rhyner's work ethic the last few years. 

What's Danny up to these days? He does have a little kid so I could definitely see him jumping back in. 

Exactly why Junior isn't retiring from radio until he's forced out or if he's lucky gets to Norm it up every day

17 hours ago, Skipper said:

Agreed this is a direct shot at Corby and Bob (and now I guess Dave).  Of course they are going to take it personally.  Even though I constantly bitch about Corby and Bob, and I'm certain I'll give Mike and Sirois a listen just to check it out, my guess is I still tune in to the ticket almost exclusively.  I agree they fucked up letting Sirois walk which led to this, but like that article stated, I can't really square Mike taking direct aim at the station he built. Frankly I would probably be more likely to listen if this was a Sirois/Grubes show without Mike.  I don't blame him for cashing in one last payday but doesn't mean I have to support it.  It just doesn't sit well with me.   

That’s the most ridiculous opinion I’ve heard. I’m not loyal to a station. I’m loyal to PEOPLE at that station. I HATE Bob. I think he’s the worst thing at the station (there’ve been worse but none in more prominent roles). I don’t like Corby.  I’ll never listen to the HL again.  And, this has been the consistent theme of the Ticket thread for years now - along with them abandoning the bench talent - Sirois was a major loss and he’s back on the air. Sirois is better than anyone on The Ticket except for Gordo. You can bet your ass I’m listening all day every day. Fuck Cumulus, The Ticket, Cat, and The Hardline. I hope all Ticket hosts on that show are replaced, and hope management, including Cat and Gilbert’s bosses, are all shitcanned. Fuck everybody. 

3 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

And, this has been the consistent theme of the Ticket thread for years now - along with them abandoning the bench talent - Sirois was a major loss and he’s back on the air. Sirois is better than anyone on The Ticket except for Gordo.

shocked news GIF

i like mike a LOT, but this is too much.

Edited by NoName
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

That’s the most ridiculous opinion I’ve heard. I’m not loyal to a station. I’m loyal to PEOPLE at that station. I HATE Bob. I think he’s the worst thing at the station (there’ve been worse but none in more prominent roles). I don’t like Corby.  I’ll never listen to the HL again.  And, this has been the consistent theme of the Ticket thread for years now - along with them abandoning the bench talent - Sirois was a major loss and he’s back on the air. Sirois is better than anyone on The Ticket except for Gordo. You can bet your ass I’m listening all day every day. Fuck Cumulus, The Ticket, Cat, and The Hardline. I hope all Ticket hosts on that show are replaced, and hope management, including Cat and Gilbert’s bosses, are all shitcanned. Fuck everybody. 

To each his own.  If you are loyal to people, that's fine, but in that regard I have zero loyalty to Mike. He mailed it in for a decade, wasn't asked to leave, and got a hero's sendoff from everyone when he left.  I probably preferred Corby to Mike the last few years.   So with that background I just don't really respect Mike taking aim at his former friends and coworkers.  Just a matter of principle thing to me.

As far as content, I think Jake/Corby/Dave would be a superior show to 97.1's offering.  It's the Bob/Corby chemistry that doesn't work in my opinion.  Although I've found myself not as annoyed after the Dave addition.   And I like Sirois but certainly don't think he was a #2.  But again, to each his own.

Edited by Skipper

13 minutes ago, NoName said:

shocked news GIF

i like mike a LOT, but this is too much.

5 minutes ago, Skipper said:

To each his own.  If you are loyal to people, that's fine, but in that regard I have zero loyalty to Mike. He mailed it in for a decade, wasn't asked to leave, and got a hero's sendoff from everyone when he left.  I probably preferred Corby to Mike the last few years.   So with that background I just don't really respect Mike taking aim at his former friends and coworkers.  Just a matter of principle thing to me.

As far as content, I think Jake/Corby/Dave would be a superior show to 97.1's offering.  It's the Bob/Corby chemistry that doesn't work in my opinion.  Although I've found myself not as annoyed after the Dave addition.   And I like Sirois but certainly don't think he was a #2.  But again, to each his own.

Y’all seriously underestimate Sirius’s talent.   There is nobody I’d rather listen to. 

Maybe we should have a Surly Fight Night and some of y'all can work out your differences with 16 oz gloves and a bunch of ice cold Coronas.

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Why any of you respond to him is just baffling.

New surly motto? 😂

• Like 2

No, I just put him on ignore and enjoy a very Rex free Surly experience. He lives to argue with people and that, like Rhyner, got tiresome a long time ago. If immamac could figure out how to also have ignore work on quotes, that would be perfect. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, mdmost said:

No, I just put him on ignore and enjoy a very Rex free Surly experience. He lives to argue with people and that, like Rhyner, got tiresome a long time ago. If immamac could figure out how to also have ignore work on quotes, that would be perfect. 

Oh I just meant you could say about the majority of posters and posts on this site lol

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

No he doesn’t!

image.gif.d751fce006ea4480527bcab29a53f08b.gif

Do you think Jake talked to Rhyner about this opportunity and was leveraging it to get a better deal with Cumulus a while back?  Or did that pre-date when the Freak was even an idea?  I can't remember exactly when Jake was out mysteriously for those few days and was making veiled references to being close to leaving.

15 minutes ago, danhorn111 said:

Do you think Jake talked to Rhyner about this opportunity and was leveraging it to get a better deal with Cumulus a while back?  Or did that pre-date when the Freak was even an idea?  I can't remember exactly when Jake was out mysteriously for those few days and was making veiled references to being close to leaving.

I believe that was in 2021 which would pre date anything concrete on the Freak.  The Jake deal was simply Cumulus trying to lowball a newly crowned tier 1 host because they assumed he's just young and dumb IIRC.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

No he doesn’t!

image.gif.d751fce006ea4480527bcab29a53f08b.gif

Lol I don’t live to argue with people (and not Rex though whatever at this point). That braggart keeper of Derka’s password loves to insert himself into the equation.

To me it’s pretty basic: everyone has bitched about THL for years now, and rightfully so. 97.1 has provided a very tasty, suitable option, and now we want to remain loyal to an obnoxious Aggie blowhard and a yuk monkey Sooner whose feelings are hurt?  Well, not me. I don’t know what precipitated Mike’s departure, but I know Cumulus has been yanking its guys around forever. So fuck ‘em. Supporting Corby now is goofy, and I won’t do it. 

1 minute ago, Porterhouse said:

Lol I don’t live to argue with people (and not Rex though whatever at this point). That braggart keeper of Derka’s password loves to insert himself into the equation.

To me it’s pretty basic: everyone has bitched about THL for years now, and rightfully so. 97.1 has provided a very tasty, suitable option, and now we want to remain loyal to an obnoxious Aggie blowhard and a yuk monkey Sooner whose feelings are hurt?  Well, not me. I don’t know what precipitated Mike’s departure, but I know Cumulus has been yanking its guys around forever. So fuck ‘em. Supporting Corby now is goofy, and I won’t do it. 

Rhynes is a very rich man thanks to Cumulus and Susquhana and whoever else they sold out to over the years.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, danhorn111 said:

Jake may have gotten wind of what might possibly happen if everything came together, but that was long before pieces started moving. Timing is everything.

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

couldn't listen, what happened?

Other than one Cowboys segment pretty much spent the entire time I listened sucking each other off, sticking Krystina off, then sucking Rhyner and Sirois off. We get it, you're excited and now you can take it in any direction you want. Go ahead and start entertaining

37 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Rhynes is a very rich man thanks to Cumulus and Susquhana and whoever else they sold out to over the years.

People can make you a lot of money (Rhyner isn’t rich), and simultaneously destroy what you built, and some people can’t take that. I had a similar experience, quit without a job and it was the best decision of my life for a multitude of reasons. I now compete against guys that worked for me. Rhyner doesn’t owe ANYTHING to Cumulus, Susquehanna, Corby or Cat. 

What principle are you talking about? It’s show business. Folks used to change stations all the time. Sounds like you never hired a competitor or went to work for one. Happens every day. Employees generally have few options inside. I always told my team let’s put together a plan to get you promoted to where you want to be, and if I don’t have an opportunity I’ll help you find one elsewhere.

Cumulus has used the power of the Ticket to fuck it’s midtier employees while enriching the big talent, who haven’t had a new bit in years and just show up to babble.

I’m glad to see a new station, hope competition makes all three better, and we get some new bits.

listened while fighting traffic all afternoon today.  yes, there is still way too much grey wolf deference but it's expected.  back and forth will get better (no where to go but up).  Julie was pretty much unbearable with the cheerleading today.  several references to better pay vs the Ticket (at least from Julie and i think Mike S at one point).  If they evaluate themselves it will be obvious that there needs to less Mike worship and more Mike S.  it's only day 2.

I can see where Mike was coming from with his comments of thinking he was getting marginalized by others there.  Whether you attribute it to Mike having lost his fastball or mailing it in, everyone there seemed like they were fitting him for a wheelchair and their was a lot patronizing that seemed outside the normal tearing into each other that made the Ticket so good.

I have not listened to any other show on the Freak.  I am on team Bob sucks w/o Dan and will keep listening to the Freak at drive time.  I'm guessing it's hard for drops right now if they are trying to build the database.

Too much Julie. I’m about to be out on streaming afternoon and just listen to non-local podcasts until she’s gone.

I did not hear yesterday. Any link to the opening show?

9 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

Too much Julie. I’m about to be out on streaming afternoon and just listen to non-local podcasts until she’s gone.

I chortled.  you can't escape her, can you?

does she shill for orchard on 97.1?

20 minutes ago, futureman said:

I chortled.  you can't escape her, can you?

does she shill for orchard on 97.1?

Ha. Don’t know. Mike and Mike and Shoopy make the show listenable but that OU cheerleader looking beast needs to be on a shock collar. Please reply to this message so that pederast has to read it. 

I got in the car this morning to take my kid to practice before school and the Freak was on - and it was some chucklehead breaking down Coastal Carolina vs. James Madison. I kid you not. I realize the morning show starts at 7, but there are probably a lot of people who are regular radio listeners in the 6am hour and this feels like a total giveup on their part.

• Hook 'Em 1