97.1 The Freak

RPM

16 hours ago, MeerkatBong said:

Wait, what's wrong with Ben & Skin? Those guys are funny and I like their Mavs takes. Way better than Mike Basik's.

If I was a Mavs fan I’d probably like the show. I think they need to split up for them to be successful. Really enjoyed Ben on the Downbeat last week. 

So I've only turned it over to hear some of The Downbeat in the afternoons and once or twice during Ben & Skin so my experience with The Freak is not vast. I have yet to hear a single second of sports talk -- is there any at all? Sounds like Ben & Skin might be doing some Mavs talk (yawn) but is The Downbeat just random shit all the way from 3-7? Don't get me wrong, it's all good and I like those two guys but I do like the mix of sports/other shit The Ticket does. It's a good mix.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

So I've only turned it over to hear some of The Downbeat in the afternoons and once or twice during Ben & Skin so my experience with The Freak is not vast. I have yet to hear a single second of sports talk -- is there any at all? Sounds like Ben & Skin might be doing some Mavs talk (yawn) but is The Downbeat just random shit all the way from 3-7? Don't get me wrong, it's all good and I like those two guys but I do like the mix of sports/other shit The Ticket does. It's a good mix.

Mike might actually have to do a little bit of prep work and not just completely wing it if there is any sports talk so not surprising.

14 hours ago, C-Man said:

Every time I've heard them talk sports they apologize and disclaim that it will still be fun.  They are really trying to distance themselves from sports radio, but yeah they need to find a better balance.

I could be wrong but I think that strategy will completely flop.  Balance of sports and guy talk is what makes the ticket great.  I would have never started listening without the sports component.  The Ticket is a bit too much cowboys focused for me personally (although I know that's the minority in a pro sports town) but they do a good job of hitting even minor sports and also gambling.

• Hook 'Em 1

Every time I've heard them talk sports they apologize and disclaim that it will still be fun.  They are really trying to distance themselves from sports radio, but yeah they need to find a better balance.

So far I’m not really engaged. If Mike does nothing but wake up the Ticket talent and deep sixes Corby then job well done. I have been out of town a couple weeks and not listened but I was already tired of the basic “we’re having fun” riff without much purpose, or constant bashing not bashing of former lives at the Ticket, or we’re purposely avoiding sports because we’re having fun. I don’t think they have a clue as to what this is. I expect the station to try and reshape as it finds a groove but I’m not seeing much of a plan. I know I’m in the minority but I’m not digging Sirois as a real host.

I listened yesterday in the afternoon segment and it was just Jeffrey Cavanaugh talking about random crap that is boring and not funny or cool and zero sports. This morning they at least talked about the Mavs for like 3 minutes before just rambling on about random crap nobody cares about.

Are there no programming scripts or agendas they follow? It feels like a bunch of guys just ad-libbing topics in their basement pirate ham radio. I'll give it a couple more tries but maybe I'm not their demographic-- I actually like sports.

This. What little I have heard it’s just the hosts basically masturbating on themselves. They have yet to mention listeners. It’s all about them having fun. They could give a shot about entertaining folks or engaging us. It’s amazing the higher ups at I heart gave mike this much rope having no format, direction or purpose. If the ad rev doesn’t come because the ears aren’t there they will crush this like a bug.

10 hours ago, MeerkatBong said:

I listened yesterday in the afternoon segment and it was just Jeffrey Cavanaugh talking about random crap that is boring and not funny or cool and zero sports. This morning they at least talked about the Mavs for like 3 minutes before just rambling on about random crap nobody cares about.

Are there no programming scripts or agendas they follow? It feels like a bunch of guys just ad-libbing topics in their basement pirate ham radio. I'll give it a couple more tries but maybe I'm not their demographic-- I actually like sports.

I am a fan of Cavanaugh but not as someone who is carrying a show. He's much better in a supporting role. Same as Kevin Turner. And Julie is absolutely dreadful.

We will see how long they keep up this format because as you mention, it's way too much random crap that many people don't care about. With The Fan and The Ticket, they at least have a format. And it's centered around sports. 97.1 isn't centered around anything at all and I'm not sure how long that can last. It's like they are trying too hard to show us they don't need to talk sports like the other 2 sports stations here.

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

97.1 isn't centered around anything at all and I'm not sure how long that can last.

Before it was The Fan, it was Live 105. All talk with Russ Martin afternoons, Pugs & Kelly mid-days and Howard Stern mornings. They lasted 8 years before flipping to The Fan and Martin went to The Eagle. 

Howard went off air at 9am. It was mainly P&K and RM carrying the local daypart with P.J. Pantoja there for a couple months after the format flip and Tom Leykis was evenings.  Howard was the opener, but that's about as far as it went. Their format was treat every show like it was a morning show.

Edited by RPM

On 10/18/2022 at 5:42 PM, C-Man said:

I clicked on this thread to ask the same question.  I'm an infrequent listener - generally just to and from school.  I just flip to whichever station is talking sports or not on ads.  I've yet to hear a single sports statement on 97.1.

15 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I clicked on this thread to ask the same question.  I'm an infrequent listener - generally just to and from school.  I just flip to whichever station is talking sports or not on ads.  I've yet to hear a single sports statement on 97.1.

Dropping the kids off at school I ran an experiment by toggling between The Fan and The Freak:

The Fan had Mike McCarthy interview, which was not very enlightening but good Dak talk.

The Freak had Julie Dobbs and Jeff C. and KT Funtweets talking about....I don't even know exactly. Kim Kardashians birthday and their weekend plans?

The most jarring thing I noticed was The Freak is more a traditional radio station with the "DINGO AND the Ba-ba-Baby, pew pew laser noises" drops and agency produced recorded commercials that take you out of the shows where The Fan has their radio personality read the ads from a script and you stay in character and it doesn't feel like such a waste of time.

edit to add if you didn't get the dingo and the baby reference (which is ironically also a 97.1 call station): 

Edited by MeerkatBong
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I flipped it over to The Freak yesterday around 4/4:15 and Sirois was doing a lengthy segment about F1 with some British F1 podcaster. It wasn't bad. I enjoyed Mike's "dumb American" questions about F1, though. So I've heard a little Mavs (blech) and F1 talk. I haven't spent a single second on The Freak's morning show smashmortion and only a few mins of Ben & Skin.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

I flipped it over to The Freak yesterday around 4/4:15 and Sirois was doing a lengthy segment about F1 with some British F1 podcaster. It wasn't bad. I enjoyed Mike's "dumb American" questions about F1, though. So I've heard a little Mavs (blech) and F1 talk. I haven't spent a single second on The Freak's morning show smashmortion and only a few mins of Ben & Skin.

Do you have a problem the metroplex's approach or execution of Mavs talk? I ask because you've made this sort of remark twice now. Or are you just can't stand the Mavs so no matter who well done or not,  you won't wanna hear it?

40 minutes ago, MeerkatBong said:

Do you have a problem the metroplex's approach or execution of Mavs talk? I ask because you've made this sort of remark twice now. Or are you just can't stand the Mavs so no matter who well done or not,  you won't wanna hear it?

While I've lived in Dallas for the past 25 years, I grew up in SA so I'm a Spurs fan. I don't dislike the Mavs. I'm just indifferent. Love Dirk though. Also not a huge a fan of today's NBA either, so I'm sure that doesn't help. Cheer for all of the other DFW pro teams, though.

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

While I've lived in Dallas for the past 25 years, I grew up in SA so I'm a Spurs fan. I don't dislike the Mavs. I'm just indifferent. Love Dirk though. Also not a huge a fan of today's NBA either, so I'm sure that doesn't help. Cheer for all of the other DFW pro teams, though.

Gotcha— with Luka and especially after last year, the Mavs (outside of the flagship Cowboys who can draw eyeballs and ears even at 0-17) are the most exciting and interesting teams in the area, so I expect lots of Mavs talk and enjoy it. Especially after the wandering of the desert that was 2012-2019.

Was listening to The Freak just now— random conversations and when the bit was Rhymer listening to and review Taylor Swifts new album Midnight, I’m out.

I wanted to like this station but I think that’s 3 strikes and I’m done and will just monitor this thread to see if public opinion changes at some point in the future.

• Hook 'Em 1

Listened to a bit of The Downbeat driving to work today. It was lightyears better than Bob & Corby. They did mention Mavs & Rangers talk segments upcoming. Maybe they got early feedback that a little sports isn't a bad thing. They are still the Official Mavs station, so you're going to get Mavs talk.

On 10/21/2022 at 9:50 AM, Knoxtnhorn said:

I was looking forward to this station. But I agree, I only listening to maybe 30-45 minutes a day. And switch between the three "sports" stations. I'm kinda just tired of listening to "Our Old Station sucked" talk. I get it for the first few days, but jesus. 

On 10/20/2022 at 5:09 PM, Texzilla58 said:

This. What little I have heard it’s just the hosts basically masturbating on themselves. They have yet to mention listeners. It’s all about them having fun. They could give a shot about entertaining folks or engaging us. It’s amazing the higher ups at I heart gave mike this much rope having no format, direction or purpose. If the ad rev doesn’t come because the ears aren’t there they will crush this like a bug.

I haven’t listened since the first week. That’s how much I hated it. They are STILL talking about how much fun they’re gonna have?  I never thought I could dislike Sirois. I did on this station. Two-day punch-out.  They sure are gonna have fun when the ratings come in. Sure gonna have fun unemployed. 

Wow.  I worked for this radio station 1985-87, but it was called KEGL, The Eagle.

Don't know if anybody remembers Kidd Craddick but he owned the CHR evening market in DFW for quite a while.  I worked during his slot and then for a while after Jimmy Steele took over when Kidd moved to mornings.  I think Craddick wound up being nationally syndicated.

I didn't want to be a DJ but I liked the idea of working 4-hour days.

Anyway I've been seeing this thread and only just now put 2+2 together

/csb

13 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Wow.  I worked for this radio station 1985-87, but it was called KEGL, The Eagle.

Don't know if anybody remembers Kidd Craddick but he owned the CHR evening market in DFW for quite a while.  I worked during his slot and then for a while after Jimmy Steele took over when Kidd moved to mornings.  I think Craddick wound up being nationally syndicated.

I didn't want to be a DJ but I liked the idea of working 4-hour days.

Anyway I've been seeing this thread and only just now put 2+2 together

/csb

Cradick wound up being dead. 

i listen during ticket commercials for the most part.  if it grabs my attention i might stick with the segment.
they took listener ?s and one asked when Greggo would make an appearance. Rhyner said 'Never'.  but then after some back and forth with Sorois said maybe.  

Sirois seems to want to make this Frankenstein from all the ticket castoffs. His whiny egging on of Mike is getting tiresome and I barely listen to them.

• 4 weeks later...

I listened to Mike & Sirois driving to work yesterday and enjoyed it more than listening to Bob or Corby. This morning when I got in it was still on 97.1 and the morning crew was talking to their board op about his military career. I actually stayed listening to them until they went to break. Solid segment.

Then I flipped over to Gordo.

14 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I've tried. I'll flip over to The Downbeat or even B&S when there's a break on The Ticket, or there's nothing interesting on XMU but thus far, I find that The Freak is just boring.

This is me. I've tried it but keep finding it fairly boring. I'll just listen to music when the HL has a boring sports segment. 

I've enjoyed it.  

Found it funny yesterday morning when Norm was doing cross talk with the Musers he got salty and took a shot at Sirois and the Freak. 

Talking about their remote they're doing today he said something like "we'll have a bigger audience than another sports station has listeners" or something like that. 

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Does anyone have the ratings for all 3 sports talk radio stations? I'd love to see how 97.1 stacks up to The Ticket and The Fan. 

It’ll stack up terribly. 

It's got it's moments but there's no way I e been able to listen for more than a segment. Maybe 2. Ben and Skin are just unlistenable.

Dobbs is just a clueless airhead. This morning the other 2 guys are talking about the alcohol situation in Qatar and one of them states that Budweiser will be allowed to serve Bud Zero. 30 seconds later Julie chimes in saying something like "oh, here you go, I just read that Budweiser will be selling Bud Zero". Dumb ass.

Rhymes and Sirois just comes across as contrived and forced. Clunky.

This whole "we say what we want" thread that runs through each show is old and stale already. 

I want to like this station more than I do but it still keeps tripping over itself.