97.1 The Freak

RPM

I don’t commute anymore and most of the time have the tv on either NFLN or rich Eisen or or other stuff. My listening is intermittent running errands.

I go from Ticket to 105 to freak. Most of the time if it’s anything other than cowboys or CFB it’s flipped. The Freak is unlistenable. Can’t believe some of these folks left real jobs to do this. The lack of a real format and this aversion to sports is no way to run a radio station. Look at the posts in this thread: went from high anticipation (fueled mostly by frustration at the Ticket) to lots of posts to the dead zone.

I heart radio doesn’t care about their hurt feels at the ticket. Or the fact they had a formula to follow. Or that they say what they want. It’s about bucks. If the book is bad the rates will tank. I believe without a serious change in attitude these folks will all be back on the street and the freak will be a Mexican channel or religious station or a Mexican religious station. It’s becoming evident why a lot of these folks were relegated to minor roles through the years.

Other than the Musers and a few segments of Hang Zone I've consistently like it more than the Ticket. The Ticket has just gotten too full of themselves and they act like cunts way too much. 

I hoped Davey would make the Hardline better but instead they just made him worse. Like how a steak doesn't make ketchup better, the mix just makes both worse. 

4 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

it’s anything other than cowboys

That is when I listen. Anything but a whole day spent listening to a cow post mortem.  The only time I listen to the Fan is if I have to be in the vehicle when a game is on. 

I don't want to hear the presser. I damn sure don't want further review. Stats are boring. I have to listen to numbers talk in meetings. I derive no pleasure from it. Why would I subject my ears to it during drive time?

Talking Cowboys? I can't get out fast enough.

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

Have any ratings come out? Curious how they are doing. I flip over during commercials while driving (if no competing commercials) and haven't fallen into a segment yet that sucked me in.  But really haven't listened much so can't judge.

Ratings for their first week came out last month. They were absolutely dreadful. New ratings come out Wednesday (allegedly)

29 minutes ago, Assman said:

I can't speak to the content, but Rhynes/Sirois/Dingu > Bob/Corby/Davey.  Let's see what they can put together before we put them to pasture.

Probably. But gen X has made the hardline so much better its ridiculous. That being said... I'm going to check out the freak after wttds tomorrow

Danny Balis is back on the air. The longtime personality is a new addition to The Freak 97.1 FM, rejoining former Sportsradio 96.7 FM/1310 The Ticket (KTCK-AM) cohorts Mike Rhyner, Mike Sirois and Michael Gruber.

Balis was introduced Monday as the newest member of Mike Rhyner’s show, The Downbeat. Rhyner was the showpiece personality on Oct. 3 when The Freak flipped its format from rock to free-form talk.

In the announcement, Rhyner told listeners he wanted Balis from the beginning.

“He was the one I wanted, and I get what I want here,” Rhyner said.

Balis’ addition recreates a full crew of Ticket exes on The Downbeat in the 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. slot.

Balis left The Ticket on May 19, hinting at limited advancement and saying he plans to focus on other parts of his life. But he said he was eager to jump at the chance to work with Rhyner, who he has known for 22 years.

“He pretty much walked away from The Ticket because there was no place to go,” Rhyner said Monday night in a phone interview. “He was tired of being just a producer.”

When Balis left, Rhyner called him a “one-of-a-kind guy.” Rhyner’s retirement left an opening on the Hardline that was filled by Bob Sturm, another longtime on-air personality.

Rhyner expects Balis to take on a bigger role with The Freak. Balis, an accomplished bass player and guitarist, joined in the conversation at The Ticket, but he was best known for his creative style in writing song parodies and comedic bits.

“That’s what we wanted, and that’s what he’ll bring,” Rhyner said. “If it turns out to not be that way, I’ll be surprised.”

Balis told his co-hosts Monday that he’s excited about returning to the air.

“I feel kind of nervous because I haven’t done this in a long time,” he said. ”I thought this may not ever happen to me again, [and that’s] to do radio with people I’ve known for a very, very long time.”

Danny Balis was introduced Monday as the newest member of Mike Rhyner’s show, The Downbeat.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Assman said:

I can't speak to the content, but Rhynes/Sirois/Dingu > Bob/Corby/Davey.  Let's see what they can put together before we put them to pasture.

It is decidedly NOT. Rhynes and Sirois forcing the issue is terrible radio. I only listened to a segments and that’s all I could take. 

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

It is decidedly NOT. Rhynes and Sirois forcing the issue is terrible radio. I only listened to a segments and that’s all I could take. 

Cool man.  Enjoy your OUsux/aggy suck fest, interrupted occasionally by E-news and Corby talking about something he has no idea about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Assman said:

Cool man.  Enjoy your OUsux/aggy suck fest, interrupted occasionally by E-news and Corby talking about something he has no idea about.

Which is still far more entertaining than what is going on with The Downbeat. Gen X has improved the Hard Line exponentially. While it is odd to have a better show (The Hang Zone) in afternoons and a lesser who in Afternoon Drive, the Hard Line isn't terrible. I kind of like the HL's aggy-OU dynamic when both of those schools are having piss-poor football seasons.

5 hours ago, Assman said:

Will do. Have fun with Julie drive-bys, and everyone talking about how they just wanna have fun. You and Vic and Hermanator are contributing to terrible ratings. Good for you pal. 

Edited by Porterhouse

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

Which is still far more entertaining than what is going on with The Downbeat. Gen X has improved the Hard Line exponentially. While it is odd to have a better show (The Hang Zone) in afternoons and a lesser who in Afternoon Drive, the Hard Line isn't terrible. I kind of like the HL's aggy-OU dynamic when both of those schools are having piss-poor football seasons.

Both shows are terrible. Rhyner is boring as fuck and Corby is a dweeby blow hard. 

The Freak doesn't do anything well and have no real identity. It was cool the first few days because it was new but I tried to give it chances after that and it delivers nothing. The morning show is 2 guys who don't have any business being frontline hosts. Ben/Skin are 2 suburban dorks who try too hard to be "down". 

1 hour ago, nolongerU2horn said:

Tied for 29th in 6+ (yes that demo doesn’t actually matter but still…woof)

Sept 1.5

Oct 1.5

Nov 1.0

https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb024

does this include the stream?  I thought whenever I used to read the radio ratings in the DMN the ticket was always on top.  have they just fallen off or what?

1 hour ago, futureman said:

does this include the stream?  I thought whenever I used to read the radio ratings in the DMN the ticket was always on top.  have they just fallen off or what?

That one is basically all people. 

Ticket usually does very well, especially the Musers, in the male 18 to 54 or somewhere in that range. 

Classic Rock still going strong as fuck. Hell yeah

• Hook 'Em 1