NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

Training camp starts today. The offseason is over. Can we get this shit started?

Somehow the Celtics are favored to win it all? Forgetting the coach issue, I don't think they make it past the Bucks last year if Middleton plays. 

Latest 2022-23 NBA Championship Odds
Team    Current Odds
Boston Celtics    +550
Milwaukee Bucks    +700
Golden State Warriors    +700
Brooklyn Nets    +750
Los Angeles Clippers    +750
Phoenix Suns    +1100
Denver Nuggets    +1800
Miami Heat    +1800
Philadelphia 76ers    +1800
Los Angeles Lakers    +2000
Cleveland Cavaliers    +2500
Dallas Mavericks    +2500
Memphis Grizzlies    +2500
Minnesota Timberwolves    +2800
New Orleans Pelicans    +4000
Toronto Raptors    +4000
Atlanta Hawks    +5000
Chicago Bulls    +6600
New York Knicks    +10000
Portland Trail Blazers    +10000
Sacramento Kings    +15000
Charlotte Hornets    +20000
Utah Jazz    +25000
Washington Wizards    +25000
Detroit Pistons    +50000
Indiana Pacers    +50000
San Antonio Spurs    +50000
Orlando Magic    +50000
Oklahoma City Thunder    +100000
Houston Rockets    +100000

2022-23 NBA WIN TOTAL ODDS
Boston Celtics 53.5
Milwaukee Bucks 52.5
Phoenix Suns 52.5
Los Angeles Clippers 52.5
Golden State Warriors 51.5
Philadelphia 76ers 50.5
Brooklyn Nets 50.5
Denver Nuggets 49.5
Memphis Grizzlies 48.5
Dallas Mavericks 48.5
Miami Heat 48.5
Minnesota Timberwolves 48.5
Cleveland Cavaliers 47.5
Atlanta Hawks 45.5
Los Angeles Lakers 45.5
Toronto Raptors 45.5
New Orleans Pelicans 44.5
Chicago Bulls 42.5
Portland Trail Blazers 39.5
New York Knicks 39.5
Charlotte Hornets 36.5
Washington Wizards 35.5
Sacramento Kings 33.5
Detroit Pistons 29.5
Orlando Magic 26.5
Utah Jazz 24.5
Oklahoma City Thunder 23.5
Indiana Pacers 23.5
Houston Rockets 23.5
San Antonio Spurs 22.5

Does Memphis seem undervalued, or is it just me? Maybe they are counting on Ja actually playing and that's why the win total is so low?

I also like Cleveland over 47.5 wins. They won 44 last year with Mobley and Allen missing lots of games and added Donovan Mitchell. 

The race to the bottom for the right to draft a malnourished Frenchman is going to be epic. Go Spurs Go!

Also... things don't seem to be going that swimmingly in Phoenix, other than their ridding themselves of the worst owner in the league. That seems like a team ripe for an implosion after the way they finished up last year. Everybody loves Monty Williams and thinks he's a great guy because of what he's gone through personally, but I've heard some unflattering things about him from people who would know.

• Hook 'Em 1

Celtics and Clippers both seem overvalued. Cavs, Grizz, and Mavs all feel like potential 50-win teams, while the Nets could easily be around 45. If I had to pick one dark horse though, I'm going with the Pelicans. I really like the team they have built. Ingram still has potential to take another step, CJ gonna CJ, and Zion could be a potential difference maker. I'm not predicting championship, but anything less than a first round playoff win would be disappointing.

I like GS & Mil in the finals.

Cleveland is my sleeper pick if they can gel.

Brooklyn is overrated.

Memphis is the most interesting team to watch. I know everyone is expecting big things. But we've all seen the next big team fail to meet the hype. Can they handle all the hype and expectations?

I have no idea what the Rockets are going to do. But they can't get any worse, can they?

The thing about Brooklyn is they already imploded this off season. I mean, what's left? KD demanded a trade and threw the coach and GM under the bus. Kyrie tried everything he could do to get out but had to opt in because nobody else wanted his crazy ass and his contract. Everybody showed their cards and management called their bluff. Simmons is virtually untradeable so they are all stuck with each other.

Other than going full blown Kawhitter -- which certainly isn't out of the realm of possibilities --- they don't have much left to do other than shut up and play. The question for them has always been health. And between KD, Kyrie and Simmons, what do you think the max number of games you could count on them to play together? Or be anywhere close to full strength in the playoffs? 

The good news is that Kyrie is in a contract year so if you're ever going to get anything out of him, it's probably now. KD is a pro and he knows that he doesn't have many more shots at this, so he's going to ball out. And who the fuck knows what is going on with Simmons mentally or physically. Maybe, just maybe, the stars align and they get this ragtag group of dysfunctional, petulant, spoiled, egomaniacs to get their shit together and make a run?

Fuckthat Fuckallthat GIF - Fuckthat Fuckallthat Mrpink - Discover & Share  GIFs

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I think the Nets could win 60 games.  (They could also win <40 games).  But if they actually get it together and play team basketball, I think they have the most talented roster in the NBA.  They have people who can create. They have tons of shooters.  Imagine this lineup...

• PG - Kyrie
  • SG - Seth Curry 
  • SF - Joe Harris
  • PF - Durant
  • C - Ben Simmons

There isn't a team who could trot out more great shooters and have the team make sense like this.  Even though it is small ball, you still have two solid 6'10 players on the floor. 

People mock Ben Simmons shooting, but 61% FT is still in the same range as Looney (60%), Wiggins (63%) and Draymond (66%).   61% is terrible for a point guard, but acceptable if he is playing the Draymond role.

Then off the bench they have TJ Warren, who could score 20 points on any given night.  Nic Claxton should continue to improve and played decently last year. I'm sure he will start most of the time.  Royce O'Neale and Markieff Morris (who I hate) should add toughness. Patty Mills can lead the 2nd unit and also brings shooting. Cam Thomas will also be improved. 

This is also a team that could play great defense.  Imagine this lineup:  Ben Simmons, Royce O'Neal, Kevin Durant, Markieff Morris,  Nic Claxon.  That is a nasty defensive team.

Ultimately this is a team with 3 potential All-NBA players - all still close to their prime. I think they get past their issues and have a good season.

fuck it, haven't really paid much attention since july, but may as well go ahead and make some predictions!

East                            West
1. Milwaukee               1. Denver
2. Philadelphia            2. Golden State
3. Boston                    3. Memphis
4. Brooklyn                 4. LA Clippers
5. Miami                      5. Dallas
6. Cleveland                6. Phoenix
7. Toronto                    7. Minnesota
8. Atlanta                     8. LA Lakers
9. Chicago                   9. New Orleans
10. NY Knicks              10. Sacramento

Bucks over Clippers in the Finals
MVP – Embiid 
Finals MVP – Giannis
ROY – Keegan Murray

I think people are forgetting how wide open the East was last year. There was no dominant team last season, just a lot of above average teams. At one point the Bulls looked like a top team, but injuries scuttled their hopes.  Miami was the number 1 seed at the end, but did anyone honestly think they would have beat GS in the Finals?  Boston likely over achieved with the 2 seed, but there was a 3way tie with 51 wins. Philly probably improves slightly to 55 wins or so, but I think there is still a lot to sort out.

Unless Brooklyn or Cleveland comes together in a remarkable way, I don't think there is a clear 60 win team in the East, just a bunch of 40-50 somethings fighting closely for seeding. They are all really good, but I don't see any of them as clear favorites. It's up for the taking and should be really competitive all season. 

12 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

I don't think there is a clear 60 win team in the East, just a bunch of 40-50 somethings fighting closely for seeding. They are all really good, but I don't see any of them as clear favorites. It's up for the taking and should be really competitive all season. 

I think you could say that about the entire league, not just the East. I can't remember a time when the league seemed this wide open. There are maybe 10-14 teams that if any of them made the finals, I wouldn't be completely shocked. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/28/2022 at 9:11 AM, Brothahorn said:

Tough one. But I'd go with BK. LBJ is a steady hand in that locker room. Even with Russ.

Meanwhile we know KD and Kyrie are both nuttier than squirrel shit.

On its face, that makes sense. But Brooklyn was a shit show last year between vaccinations, injuries, fat Harden, etc...and they still made the playoffs.

If LAL looks bound to miss the playoffs twice in a row--and they haven't found a sucker to dump Russ on before the deadline--look the hell out.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, aggie08 said:

On its face, that makes sense. But Brooklyn was a shit show last year between vaccinations, injuries, fat Harden, etc...and they still made the playoffs.

If LAL looks bound to miss the playoffs twice in a row--and they haven't found a sucker to dump Russ on before the deadline--look the hell out.

You may have a point. The Lakers have a new theme this year.

TEMECULA, Calif. -- The day after last season mercifully came to an end for the Los Angeles Lakers, Russell Westbrook was asked about LeBron James and Anthony Davis repeatedly stating over the course of the year their intent to "let Russ be Russ" in pursuit of team success.

"Yeah," Westbrook replied bluntly during his exit interview with reporters, "but that wasn't true."

With the first week of training camp in the books as James, Davis and Westbrook near their second season together, that approach has been tweaked.

Westbrook is empowered to get his, but so are James and Davis when it comes to getting theirs. No more worrying about stepping on each other's toes; if there's a play to make, go make it.

"I think the biggest thing was everybody trying to be selfless and now everybody is being aggressive," Davis said after practice Saturday at Pechanga Reservation in front of about 200 reservation residents invited as guests. "'Russ, you get it, go.' 'Bron, you get it, go.' I get it and go. Whoever. And that's been very helpful for all of us."

Everything is ok until Russ is fighting LBJ for rebounds so he can go get his. Next we see LBJ giving Russ the JR Smith treatment. 

jr-smith-lebron-james.jpg

It doesn't matter what their mindset or buy-in or whatever looks like - their roster is still a mess. I mean give me a fucking break:

Screenshot_20221002-094056-412.thumb.png.e3141fb0fc6397ca8e9317e0d99a238d.png

Unless you're telling me they are guaranteed to get 75 games out of AD and he'll play at a first or second team all-NBA level I have a hard time seeing them as anything but an early exit in the playoffs. Westbrook hasn't played winning basketball in like 5 years. LeBron is just not capable of dragging a team deep anymore. Especially these scrubs. He's still a top 10ish player but his overall impact and capacity over a full season just isn't the same anymore. They have a hard ceiling on paper and last year they basically bottomed out and weren't remotely close to whatever that ceiling is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

To be fair to the Lakers, Beverly, Walker, and Schroder should be upgrades over what they rolled out last year. If Nunn has a comeback year their second unit could be pretty competitive. It's still hilarious to see their, at best, 4th best player being the highest paid guy. A guy that does not play defense, can't shoot past 15 feet, and has lost the burst that let him attack the rim with ease in his early years is going to make almost 50 million US American dollars this year. It's absurd.

3 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

To be fair to the Lakers, Beverly, Walker, and Schroder should be upgrades over what they rolled out last year. If Nunn has a comeback year their second unit could be pretty competitive.

Those four guys go 6'1", 6'4", 6'1", 6'2". 

On 9/28/2022 at 11:18 AM, aggie08 said:

More likely to implode, Brooklyn or LAL?

Hard for the Purple and Gold implode when they are already a mess. I have been a die-hard fan for 35 years now, but I have zero expectations of anything from them. I had higher expectations from the 39 win 92-93 team that should’ve beaten the Suns in game five if not for an offensive goaltend than I do this roster. The Lakers were wise not to attempt to trade for World B Flat. Just get through this season and get back to trying to win next season. 

4 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Hard for the Purple and Gold implode when they are already a mess. I have been a die-hard fan for 35 years now, but I have zero expectations of anything from them. I had higher expectations from the 39 win 92-93 team that should’ve beaten the Suns in game five if not for an offensive goaltend than I do this roster. The Lakers were wise not to attempt to trade for World B Flat. Just get through this season and get back to trying to win next season. 

What are you going to win with next season?

Milwaukee to win it all of I have to make a pick but damn if I know who they would be beating in the finals.

More wide open than I’ve ever remembered the nba. 
legit chances to win the East: Bucks, Nets, 76ers, Celtics, Cavs Heat in that order- none would be a surprise to me  

West- Dubs, Grizz, Clips, Nuggets, Suns, Wolves, Mavs in that order. I also think New Orleans is going to be pretty good but not in a win 3 series in the playoffs way. I guess I should say I’d be pretty surprised if the Mavs won the West, but I expect Luka to be an MVP type (top 3 in votes) and be best player in whatever series they ultimately lose in the 1st or 2nd round so they have a slight chance. 
My final all NBA team- Steph, Luka, Giannis, KD, Joker with Luka getting the MVP. 
KD plays 68 games at a high level. 

11 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

What are you going to win with next season?

There is no guarantee next season. This year is just a season they need to get through and that’s it. The Lakers are a team where things can change quickly if they can add a reallly good 3rd best player to the roster.

How that works out I do not know nor do I care. Either they win or they don’t. I love my guys in the Purple and Gold, but I have zero control over what they put on the court.

48 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Yankee fan, Laker fan.  Let me guess. You’re also a Patriot fan and a Crimson Tide fan

They negativity is pretty cool. I root for the Yankees because of my mother who has been a fan of theirs before the Astros or Rangers were playing ball. It is a way for us to talk sports and she enjoys seeing stuff from my trips to the games as well as when she comes up and we go. I’m sorry that you feel that you have to root for teams all from one geographic location. That is kind of a silly way to enjoy watching sports. I’m glad I have parents who did not indoctrinate me into rooting for their favorite team and just let me choose my own teams.

The NFL I quit watching about a decade ago so I have no team there and I am very cool with that. I do not care about college sports outside of watching Gonzaga play basketball when I have free time. 

So I saw Cap giving the Flat Earth King the business for retweeting an Alex Jones conspiracy theory from TWENTY YEARS AGO. 

I don’t care if the Lakers have another down year. Not trading for a mentally ill person that likes Alex Jones is the best thing from the entire Lakers off-season. The Nets implosion this year is going to be utterly spectacular thanks to having that guy on the roster. 

On 9/29/2022 at 6:26 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

What the hell is that rotation in Simmons’ shot
fa2836dfe849f33d24fb918b3f1e7f95.jpg

Hard to believe with all this time off he hasnt had someone tear his shot down and rebuild it.   There is no way he's any better at shooting this yr still shooting like that

53 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

It makes you wonder how trash the right handed form is if his left is his "dominant" hand. How is he in the NBA with that shooting form?

Because he's really tall and good at literally everything else.

I'm sorry, was that a rhetorical question?

• Hook 'Em 1