NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

53 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

I don't think that is all that egregious, either the initial call or the ejection. 

that ejection is so lame. the call is a bad call (that's a player control foul, driving recklessly with the head down, leading with the shoulder), but the ejection is something else. zero intention on williams' part there. and it's grant williams, probably the most mild mannered guy in the entire league. the idea that he would intentionally bump some tiny little 105 lb female official is ridiculous. 

• Like 1

If I was the GM of a tanking team, I'd do all I could to acquire Russell Westbrook and Ben Simmons and play them both 45 minutes a night.

The only flaw in that plan is that while Westbrook's contract mercifully expires in June May April, Simmons has 2 more years and almost $80 million left after this season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

If I was the GM of a tanking team, I'd do all I could to acquire Russell Westbrook and Ben Simmons and play them both 45 minutes a night.

The only flaw in that plan is that while Westbrook's contract mercifully expires in June May April, Simmons has 2 more years and almost $80 million left after this season.

Simmons hasn't played in like 18 months. He appears to know his role and is at least attempting to play winning basketball. I'd give him more than a few games before writing him off. 

Westbrook is just a lost cause at this point. He will never contribute positively to a winning basketball team again. 

I wouldn't want either of them on my team as it currently stands but it isn't quite apples to apples. I'm not sure Simmons is even the biggest issue with this Nets team. 

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

Simmons hasn't played in like 18 months. He appears to know his role and is at least attempting to play winning basketball. I'd give him more than a few games before writing him off. 

Westbrook is just a lost cause at this point. He will never contribute positively to a winning basketball team again. 

I wouldn't want either of them on my team as it currently stands but it isn't quite apples to apples. I'm not sure Simmons is even the biggest issue with this Nets team. 

Yeah. I checked out a little bit of the nets game last night and he looked pretty good. Solid defense, creating some things for his teammates on offense, finished a couple of plays inside. He’s way more competent than Westbrook, which is admittedly a low bar. I think he’s going to be fine. 

The twolves otoh… look I get that they’re on the second night of a back to back and it’s game 4 of a long ass season and new guys need time to gel and all that. But you can’t be down 34 points at home in the fourth quarter to the presumptive worst team in the league.

Everyone was taking about the picks they gave up in the Gobert trade, but they also gutted that bench. Beverly, Beasley, and Vanderbilt are all solid rotation guys and all played good defense. Not to mention whatever leadership void there is. This is probably an early season one game overreaction but they haven’t looked particularly good now twice against the tanking Thunder or the Jazz either. They need to drop hammer on the Spurs in the rematch tomorrow night. Like, please? 

12 hours ago, Message Board User said:

So everyone talking about Jazz, Spurs, OKC Thunder....but might the Lakers be pulling off one of the sneakiest tank jobs of all time? Just play Russ big minutes and don't try to reign him in. Pat Bev on the court at the same time. Fuuuuuuck. These fuckers.

Edited by Pam Cummings

7 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

So everyone talking about Jazz, Spurs, OKC Thunder....but might the Lakers be pulling off one of the sneakiest tank jobs of all time? Just play Russ big minutes and don't try to rein him in. Pat Bev on the court at the same time. Fuuuuuuck. These fuckers.

Funny story, they don’t have their draft pick this year and it’s unprotected. So, if they do win the lottery, the Pelicans get the Frenchman.

Edit: The Pelicans have the right to swap picks with no protections for the Lakers.

Edited by Kermit
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Funny story, they don’t have their draft pick this year and it’s unprotected. So, if they do win the lottery, the Pelicans get the Frenchman.

Edit: The Pelicans have the right to swap picks with no protections for the Lakers.

Remember when we were giving the Lakers grief for giving up too much for AD when they were basically bidding against themselves*? And their fans assured us that losing a few late first round picks wouldn't matter because they're getting the best player in the trade? I 'member. Hope the bubble title was worth it.

*also my main reason for being down on the Gobert trade. I have nothing against Rudy (other than him being defensively overrated), and think he'll probably make Minnesota a really good regular season team...but who the fuck were they bidding against? The Jazz were openly trying to implode the roster.

Watching KAT last night infuriated me. He is so fucking talented, yet falls, flops, trips, and bumbles his way across the court. Dude, you are a physical specimen. Stop trying to draw fouls on little people and yam it on them. Some of these dudes who should be on the post need to get their ass on the post. Watching big dudes pretend to be guards is the worst aspect of todays NBA. Now get off my lawn.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Kermit said:

I don't think anyone thought anyone would ever say this but the Pelicans are in an outstanding position for the near to mid term future.  

5 hours ago, Kermit said:

Watching KAT last night infuriated me. He is so fucking talented, yet falls, flops, trips, and bumbles his way across the court. Dude, you are a physical specimen. Stop trying to draw fouls on little people and yam it on them. Some of these dudes who should be on the post need to get their ass on the post. Watching big dudes pretend to be guards is the worst aspect of todays NBA. Now get off my lawn.

This, watching Embid or AD pull up for threes is just cringe.  It's an Auto W every time these chumps pull up for a 3 pointer.  Neither is worth the max in today's NBA.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

This, watching Embid or AD pull up for threes is just cringe.  It's an Auto W every time these chumps pull up for a 3 pointer.  Neither is worth the max in today's NBA.

Add Giannis. He shot 29% last year. 

Unfortunately, it's just part of today's game. Makes it hard to watch at times. 

12 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Add Giannis. He shot 29% last year. 

Unfortunately, it's just part of today's game. Makes it hard to watch at times. 

But at least Giannis gets to the rim. He knows what to do with ball, and he’s not a detriment to the team. He’s also on another planet as a defender and rebounder. I don’t ever think I’ve seen him flop to get a foul call on a guard, although I’m sure he has. He doesn’t have post moves, but he is a SF in a PF’s body. KAT should be in the post. He has no discernible handles, and he can’t defend on the wing. I shouldn’t hate on KAT as much as I do, but goddamnit he can be so much better. 

He’s a bit of a shithead. Wouldn’t surprise me one bit tomorrow if the wolves play their best game of the season tomorrow and beat SA by 10+.

He ragged on ants diet contributing to his piss poor performance in last nights presser. After 4 total games each of those 2 have had 2 good efficient scoring nights and 2 below avg.

Ant should fire back with Karl’s love for Call of Duty being a detriment to his game. I know kat had some surgeries after the playoffs…but ant was consistently posting working vids on insta. Don’t recall kat ever picking a bball up once. Then he got sick at the start of TC and is still rusty. Kat needs to stay in his lane

9 hours ago, aggie08 said:

7 technicals in the 3rd quarter of Golden State/Phoenix (with 6 minutes left). Klay ejected for the first time in his career. These teams don't like each other much.

Too bad Phoenix choked on a massive dick, or last year's WCF could have been fun.

Booker says he was yelling about having 4 rings, kind of immature imo, act like you've been there. Doesn't help that he was playing like ass. Kinda bizarre scene for a game so early in the season.

20 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Booker says he was yelling about having 4 rings, kind of immature imo, act like you've been there. Doesn't help that he was playing like ass. Kinda bizarre scene for a game so early in the season.

Booker is a legendary trash talker. I’m sure he said nothing to provoke that response from a guy who has never been ejected in his career. 

20 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Booker is a legendary trash talker. I’m sure he said nothing to provoke that response from a guy who has never been ejected in his career. 

Probably called him washed up or something lol. Must be frustrating to be a guy like Klay and have these younger players beating you and talking trash.

7 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Probably called him washed up or something lol. Must be frustrating to be a guy like Klay and have these younger players beating you and talking trash.

When they haven't accomplished a tenth of what you have, and you're the current defending champions?

Yeah, probably.

24 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

When they haven't accomplished a tenth of what you have, and you're the current defending champions?

Yeah, probably.

Sure. But if Klay and Booker switched teams right now, the Suns would be a lot worse and the Warriors would be better.....

Edited by Pam Cummings

3 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Wait the dude that was whining about getting double teamed in summer pickup is a trash talker?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, d2o said:

Wait the dude that was whining about getting double teamed in summer pickup is a trash talker?

Correct. He's a pretty boy and a whiner extraordinaire, but supposedly brings it in the trash talk category.

No doubt Booker was cooking last night and is a better player than Klay at this point in their careers. But Klay is one of the greatest shooters of all time and has delivered time and time again on the biggest stage, so I think it's fair for him to drop the 4 rings card on Booker.

5 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Correct. He's a pretty boy and a whiner extraordinaire, but supposedly brings it in the trash talk category.

No doubt Booker was cooking last night and is a better player than Klay at this point in their careers. But Klay is one of the greatest shooters of all time and has delivered time and time again on the biggest stage, so I think it's fair for him to drop the 4 rings card on Booker.

Klay shouldn't even get that worked up over him.   Just tell him to "watch out for those double teams" and keep stepping

2 hours ago, Kermit said:

I don’t think there are any Westbrook apologists left in this world. 

i wonder how it feels for all those OKC fans- the ones who worshipped KD, both for being the best player in franchise history and for being an exemplary athlete off the court with all of his philanthropy and charitable donations in and around OKC- who eventually turned on KD and named Russ their Lord and Savior for a few years there. now that both have been gone from OKC for awhile, i wonder how many of those fans are silently stepping back that "Russ is MVP, KD is asshole" narrative that they so fervently pushed for so long. how embarrassing must it be to have to live with that on your permanent record. 

21 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i wonder how it feels for all those OKC fans- the ones who worshipped KD, both for being the best player in franchise history and for being an exemplary athlete off the court with all of his philanthropy and charitable donations in and around OKC- who eventually turned on KD and named Russ their Lord and Savior for a few years there. now that both have been gone from OKC for awhile, i wonder how many of those fans are silently stepping back that "Russ is MVP, KD is asshole" narrative that they so fervently pushed for so long. how embarrassing must it be to have to live with that on your permanent record. 

Oh, right. I forgot about those assholes. 

2 hours ago, Kermit said:

I don’t think there are any Westbrook apologists left in this world. 

Only on TV broadcasts. Without fail, every Lakers game, you'll get Chuck or Reggie waxing poetic about how no one in the league plays harder and gives maximum effort every night, and "that's what you want in a superstar" yadda, yadda, yadda.

Sure, Russ plays as hard and aggressively as anyone in the league...when he has the ball in his hands (or there's a uncontested defensive rebound to swoop in for). Maybe it's just me, but, when I think of players with high motors, it's guys who set good screens, dive for loose balls and, I don't know, play defense.

Even among contemporary superstars at his position: Steph covers more ground running and screening than anyone in the league, knowing full well that most of the time he's just going to be a decoy (ain't no counting stats in that, so Russ has no interest). He's also transformed himself from one of the worst defenders in the history of the league to downright respectable. But he smiles and dances, rather than glares and snarls...so obviously Russ must play harder. Chris Paul is one of the most deceptively physical (and dirty) defenders in the league and still contributes to winning at a high level at 37 years old and 6'0"...but he can't really dunk, so obviously Russ is tougher.

5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Only on TV broadcasts. Without fail, every Lakers game, you'll get Chuck or Reggie waxing poetic about how no one in the league plays harder and gives maximum effort every night, and "that's what you want in a superstar" yadda, yadda, yadda.

Sure, Russ plays as hard and aggressively as anyone in the league...when he has the ball in his hands (or there's a uncontested defensive rebound to swoop in for). Maybe it's just me, but, when I think of players with high motors, it's guys who set good screens, dive for loose balls and, I don't know, play defense.

Even among contemporary superstars at his position: Steph covers more ground running and screening than anyone in the league, knowing full well that most of the time he's just going to be a decoy (ain't no counting stats in that, so Russ has no interest). He's also transformed himself from one of the worst defenders in the history of the league to downright respectable. But he smiles and dances, rather than glares and snarls...so obviously Russ must play harder. Chris Paul is one of the most deceptively physical (and dirty) defenders in the league and still contributes to winning at a high level at 37 years old and 6'0"...but he can't really dunk, so obviously Russ is tougher.

Don't forget that Russ is a 30 percent BTA for his career. Yet he keeps chucking at a relatively high volume with no discernible improvement.

That suggests, despite how much effort he might give on the offensive end during a game, he won't spend 5 minutes working on his shot. Not in practice, not during the offseason, probably not even in warmups. 

19 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Literally every analyst says he is a hall of famer. Which makes me not really give much of a shit who is a hall of famer and who isn't anymore.

Edited by Pam Cummings

The Nets just had the most hapless 2-3 minutes of professional basketball not starring Russell Westbrook in years. ESPN has him at 8 for 19 but KD has missed like 4 or 5 straight that are usually automatic midrange buckets for him. If he can't be superman this Nets team is sunk.

Jesus, Ben Simmons is not a good basketball player right now. He's fucking awful on both ends. Total lack of confidence on offense. As soon as he touches the ball he's looking for a way to get rid of it. Fucking Javale McGee looks more comfortable bringing the ball up the floor than Simmons. His shot is atrocious. Watching him shoot free throws is all the proof one needs to confirm that he don't give a shit about his craft. He gives his man a 3 foot cushion consistently on defense, letting them get downhill or establish position in the paint before he makes any effort. Just all out trash.

Edited by SilasCoade

19 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

If he can't be superman this Nets team is sunk.

He was superman last year and they went like .500 and got bounced in the first round. They're an absolute disaster and it's extremely depressing knowing that Durant is pissing away the end of his prime playing for this team. He's going to have arguably the most complicated legacy of anyone to ever play the game when it's all said and done. Reminiscent of Wilt. 

• Like 1