NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

losing your job for some sort of serious transgression and then pretending like you're voluntarily leaving the team due to mental health issues seems like a scumbag move. 

"Josh it's come to our attention that you were potentially involved in a murder case. We're letting you go."

"My mom used to hit me."

15 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Final from Boston - Cavs 132 Celtics 123.

Cavs now 4-1 and Garland has played a total of 11 minutes this season.  

Really digging the cavs this year.  Levert was out of his mind tonight. They get a little stagnant on offense and sometimes sit around and watch Mitchell go one on one too much, but they should be really fun when Garland gets back. 

14 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Really digging the cavs this year.  Levert was out of his mind tonight. They get a little stagnant on offense and sometimes sit around and watch Mitchell go one on one too much, but they should be really fun when Garland gets back. 

Levert usually has a couple of games like this where he forgets he's Caris Levert and is instead early 80s Bernard King.  That's not going to happen every night but I've been very impressed with his defense and while he's not a good ballhandler or distributor, he's at least capable which is what is needed until DG returns.  The plan was to have either DG or Mitchell on the floor at all times; without DG, Levert has been huge in not letting the offense be an utter disaster.

And since Okoro is a lost cause (8 points, 11 personal fouls so far this season for the #5 overall pick in 2020, picked ahead of T. Halliburton and D. Vassell) Levert playing as well as he has is huge.

1 hour ago, UpperWestside said:

The Flat Earth King looks to also be an anti-Semite as well. Good thing Brooklyn held onto a guy that, checks notes, is in a place where a couple or three Jews are known to live. 

I mean he can at least fucking ball. The Lakers would kill for a hate speech propagandist that could put up 27 a night on 50/40/90. 

/s - in case y'all needed it.

22 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I mean he can at least fucking ball. The Lakers would kill for a hate speech propagandist that could put up 27 a night on 50/40/90. 

I’m cool with 0-5 if it means he is not on the roster. I said I would actively root against the Purple and Gold for the first time in my life if he were on the roster. His ability to score would not change that stance. He is a mentally unwell person that the Nets should suspend indefinitely.

Should’ve said originally that I noted your sarcasm. I would like Westbrook also suspended for conduct detrimental to the playing of good basketball, but that might not fly with the Players Association.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It's definitely going to be an interesting free agency (no fucking chance the Nets extend him now with anything short of a title), that's for sure. 99% of the time, talent trumps all, and someone is going to sign him. But who? And for anywhere near what his skill set says he's worth? Even forgetting the off-the-court stuff: he's imploded the last (only) 3 teams he's been on.

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Lol. Not sure about that. Marks may be the worst GM in the league. 

I don’t blame Marks. He built up the nets from the ashes of the that indefensible Celtics trade. Absolutely made chicken salad from arguably the worst roster and draft assets in the league. Then when kd says he wants to come to Brooklyn and bring Kyrie with him, any gm jumps on that. He was already pot committed with kd so when he then says get Harden, you do it. Then Harden demands out so what do you do? He’s been over a barrel ever since he sold his soul to Kevin Durant. 

12 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Saw Ben Simmons was allowing the 3rd highest FG % in the NBA on guys he's guarding so far. Know he had to go up against Giannis and some other studs but if he's not an amazing defender what exactly is he good for?

Luka did whatever he wanted the other night, and prior to Ben Simmons forgetting how to play basketball, I thought he was one of the worst matchups in the league for Luka.

40 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Lol. Not sure about that. Marks may be the worst GM in the league.

The Nets organization has been pretty damn consistent about publicly calling out Kyrie when he does stupid shit. Then, putting their money where their mouth is by not extending him last off-season, even when it looked like not doing so was going to cost them KD.

If this season keeps going how it's going for them, I bet both he and KD are on the market by the deadline. They won't get a ton for a half season of Kyrie, but they ain't keeping him.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I don’t blame Marks. He built up the nets from the ashes of the that indefensible Celtics trade. Absolutely made chicken salad from arguably the worst roster and draft assets in the league. Then when kd says he wants to come to Brooklyn and bring Kyrie with him, any gm jumps on that. He was already pot committed with kd so when he then says get Harden, you do it. Then Harden demands out so what do you do? He’s been over a barrel ever since he sold his soul to Kevin Durant. 

Let me rephrase: I don't think he's the worst GM in the league - I think that over the past couple of seasons he has probably done the worst job. He isn't good at putting competent pieces around the superstars. His Aussie buddy Patty is a useless sack of dogshit yet he's somehow persisted this entire time while they've let guys like Jeff Green and Bruce Brown walk. He has no idea how to fill out the 4-15 on an NBA roster. He has a still in his prime KD to work around who makes everyone look better than they actually are. Which is the same reason Nash has held on despite being a terrible coach. Just look at some of the guys they are playing this season. It's like half a step above what the Lakers are rolling out. 

I understand that you have to jump on KD and Kyrie when they become available - and it almost won them a title - but he has done a piss-poor job managing around those two and I'm not sure how you could argue otherwise. If your best excuse as a GM is "well it was my player's idea!" you're probably doing a shitty job. 

I have watched them play a lot of basketball over the past few seasons. They looked good when they had KD, Harden and Kyrie all engaged and playing unselfish ball. A fucking monkey could take those 3 when they're actually trying and make a team look good. The only reason any of it has worked over the past two years is because Durant is so good he literally warps defenses by himself. 

At some point you have to accept that you fucked up the marriage and quit waiting for the kids to go to college. They're probably going to fire Nash next and see if that works. If/when it doesn't I expect Marks to lose his job accordingly. 

Let's put it this way: do you think if you shipped Marks and Nash to Indiana that the Pacers would be setting the league on fire within 3 seasons? I seriously fucking doubt that. 

Edited by ztejas

re: Marks the only egregious error he has made was the Harden trade. If KD was the driving force behind that then it's still on the GM for not putting the franchise above the star. KD was under contract for years and not going anywhere. He's never been untrue to the game so he would play even if he didn't want to be there (see GSW playoffs trying to gut it out and leading to career altering injury even when he clearly was done with the warriors).

38 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

I will go to my grave believing the Nets at least win the East twice without the Harden trade and without Kyrie's antivax nonsense destroying a whole season.

Saying "they would have won without Kyrie's pseudo-intellectual conspiracy bullshit" is akin to saying "they would have won if Chris Paul (or AD) didn't get hurt."

It's what they do.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Marks gave away Jarrett Allen in the Harden trade for almost nothing. That was a huge problem, because they lost a young, mobile, defensive center and replaced him with an over the hill DeAndre Jordan. That cost them bigly. They didn't even play a Center in most of that 7 game series with the Bucks. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Marks gave away Jarrett Allen in the Harden trade for almost nothing. That was a huge problem, because they lost a young, mobile, defensive center and replaced him with an over the hill DeAndre Jordan. That cost them bigly. They didn't even play a Center in most of that 7 game series with the Bucks. 

Durant wanted Deandre. That was another mistake born from appeasement.

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

They looked good when they had KD, Harden and Kyrie all engaged and playing unselfish ball. A fucking monkey could take those 3 when they're actually trying and make a team look good.

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you said about Marks, but I think that was what he was going for. He swung for the fences. He whiffed. They gutted themselves with the picks he gave up to get Harden plus Allen. They are capped. They don't have any assets. At worst he is responsible, at best he is guilty of giving into the whims/pressure of his superstar. I guess it doesn't matter in the end, they are proper fucked and it goes on his resume.

I actually think he'd do fine if you gave him the Pacer's GM job. He did an outstanding job building up the Nets from nothing. Lots of shrewd moves to rent out cap space, acquire picks, pull rotation guys off the scrap heap, and solid drafting. But that's entirely different from trying to finish off a championship roster. 

• Hook 'Em 1

200.gif

I’ll go slow.

Sure, the lakers win the bubble. Big fucking deal. Zero fans saw it and a quarter of the league wasn’t there.

They gave up Lonzo, Ingram, Hart and 4 picks and then to try to fix shit they gave up KCP, Kuz, Harrell and another 1st. They then had to basically dump Caruso.

Bron
Lonzo
KCP
Ingram
Kuz
Hart
Caruso
Harrell
A couple of of FA bigs
Deandre Hunter/Darius Garland
Isaiah Jackson

All future picks.

Looks a hell of a lot better than the shit show they have now.

26 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

I’ll go slow.

Sure, the lakers win the bubble. Big fucking deal. Zero fans saw it and a quarter of the league wasn’t there.

They gave up Lonzo, Ingram, Hart and 4 picks and then to try to fix shit they gave up KCP, Kuz, Harrell and another 1st. They then had to basically dump Caruso.

Bron
Lonzo
KCP
Ingram
Kuz
Hart
Caruso
Harrell
A couple of of FA bigs
Deandre Hunter/Darius Garland
Isaiah Jackson

All future picks.

Looks a hell of a lot better than the shit show they have now.

I can't imagine a scenario where Lebron gives that roster the time it needs.

On 10/28/2022 at 11:07 AM, SilasCoade said:

In a couple of weeks the jazz can send markanen and Conley to LA for a year of Russ and send olynyk and Clarkson to bkn for Simmons. They would instantly become the favorites for the wemby sweepstakes.

A backcourt of Simmons and Westbrook? Take the kids’ college fund and put it on the under for 3pts every night. Let it ride like a hot roulette!

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

i don't even really post on twitter, i just use it for news,  it last night when some dumbass sjw tried to praise primo for leaving SAS to take care of his mental health, i started a discussion with him, trying to explain to him that that wasn't what was happening. dude got all holier than thou on me and started talking down to me about how i have no compassion and how mental illness is real (no wai?!?), and i basically just told him, "you're going to feel really stupid when the truth comes to light." i just now went and checked, and yep:

EDDF149E-3822-425F-89CD-50341B77A805.thumb.jpeg.02b6e5b28613c27a82825aa88be6a1f0.jpeg

that was my first internet interacting with:shitting down some retard sjw, and i gotta say- i like it. 

FF793D0F-4133-4769-84C3-4D6BFF687851.thumb.jpeg.f6cd0077e0f2560088b15b904a3994a7.jpeg

this fucking guy 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

.624dc6c700321a7bea70a2835ca63591.jpg

Well he definitely isn't going to get the box score from that loss framed. Congrats on dunking over a guard. 

Anyways, I watched that whole Cavs/Celtics game and Donovan Mitchell was amazing. Dude was playing point guard the entire time he was out there and making tons of plays for his teammates. Lots of off-ball movement by the Cavs players, lots of passing, very pretty basketball to watch, which I know is hard to believe from a team starting LeVert and Mitchell as guards. Allen and Mobley play great defense for big men, and it really made an impact. I think the Cavs we're down about 15 at the half, and came back to force OT and dominated the OT.  It was a great game to watch, I think Donovan may be a top 5 MVP candidate this year when it's all said and done.

• Hook 'Em 1