NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

At 1-5, some people might say we're on pace for a 16-66 record.  I like to think we're on pace for a 77-5 season.  

The glass half-full fan! I like this. For a night he gets a reprieve. I have said and will maintain that Westbrook is a good human being and is one of the more thoughtful guys in the NBA. He just hit the stage of his career where he doesn’t have all of his athleticism and he has not adjusted accordingly. It would be cool if he changes as a player and accepts a bench role for the season for us or another team if he gets traded, unlikely as that might be.

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, statsman said:

Why do you consider Westbrook to be a good human being and a thoughtful guy? I can think of counter-examples. 

There’s nothing that comes to the top of my head immediately but feel free to post them.

Biggest problem with Russ imo isn’t the slight loss in athleticism or the shooting. It’s that he is an awful awful defensive player. If he gave the effort or had the knowledge on defense you could forgive some of the offensive stuff. Because of how bad his defense is at this point, he’s virtually unplayable 

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

There’s nothing that comes to the top of my head immediately but feel free to post them.

Biggest problem with Russ imo isn’t the slight loss in athleticism or the shooting. It’s that he is an awful awful defensive player. If he gave the effort or had the knowledge on defense you could forgive some of the offensive stuff. Because of how bad his defense is at this point, he’s virtually unplayable 

If KD can get along with insane Kyrie, but had to bail on OKC due to Russ, I'm gonna guess Russ is a pretty toxic person to deal with, at least as a teammate. We all know how much of a shithead Draymond is, and he drove KD away from Golden State, sooooo yeah, Russ is somewhere between Dray and Kyrie as far as teammates go. 

50 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Where PJ Tucker headed? f79baf722f8d3486ceae2999729935d7.jpg

Pinata Tucker?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

If KD can get along with insane Kyrie, but had to bail on OKC due to Russ, I'm gonna guess Russ is a pretty toxic person to deal with, at least as a teammate. We all know how much of a shithead Draymond is, and he drove KD away from Golden State, sooooo yeah, Russ is somewhere between Dray and Kyrie as far as teammates go. 

Pinata Tucker?

I think that was a basketball decision not necessarily a personality one. RW has always been really well respected from my memory by his teammates. Again I could be wrong but I don’t remember anything specific that’s really been said about him as a bad teammate, at least in terms of his personality. 

Not surprising at all on many fronts. Nash had no real voice with those egos. If I was Nash, I would be happy to part ways with that toxic environment and go chill and come back to a less toxic role with another team in the future if he plans to. Still not sure how good he is as a coach, though since that was a weird situation to judge the last few seasons.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

Not surprising at all on many fronts. Nash had no real voice with those egos. If I was Nash, I would be happy to part ways with that toxic environment and go chill and come back to a less toxic role with another team in the future if he plans to. Still not sure how good he is as a coach, though since that was a weird situation to judge the last few seasons.

He can come to Dallas and learn from Kidd 😬

• Haha 1

Russ is complex. He must be very charismatic- there is no doubt that KD wanted to keep Russ’ respect and friendship after leaving. There is also no doubt that Russ absolutely refused, viewing KD’s departure as a personal betrayal that could not be forgiven. This also affected Durant’s status in OKC forever. It’s a petty look for Russ. 

I think the Brian Davis thing is also a bad look for Russ. “Cotton picking” is a phrase with no history of a racial slur (else it would have been edited out of the Foghorn Leghorn cartoon in the ‘70s), but was given such a meaning out of ignorance (I’m white; my dad and uncles all picked cotton, and it’s sucked, but that’s what poor people did until the blessed machines were invented). Davis used the phrase to emphasize a compliment to Russ and Russ decided to be offended. Davis apologized, Westbrook could have saved his job, but instead gave it a thumbs down (during a period when Westbrook was the alpha for the whole franchise). Nobody thinks Davis is racist and nobody was going to counter Russ. To me, it looks like an ignorant flex by Russ. 

There is a lot to admire about Westbrook- his effort, intensity and locker room leadership. I don’t know that kindness, consideration and thoughtfulness are on the list. 

58 minutes ago, statsman said:

Russ is complex. He must be very charismatic- there is no doubt that KD wanted to keep Russ’ respect and friendship after leaving. There is also no doubt that Russ absolutely refused, viewing KD’s departure as a personal betrayal that could not be forgiven. This also affected Durant’s status in OKC forever. It’s a petty look for Russ. 

I think the Brian Davis thing is also a bad look for Russ. “Cotton picking” is a phrase with no history of a racial slur (else it would have been edited out of the Foghorn Leghorn cartoon in the ‘70s), but was given such a meaning out of ignorance (I’m white; my dad and uncles all picked cotton, and it’s sucked, but that’s what poor people did until the blessed machines were invented). Davis used the phrase to emphasize a compliment to Russ and Russ decided to be offended. Davis apologized, Westbrook could have saved his job, but instead gave it a thumbs down (during a period when Westbrook was the alpha for the whole franchise). Nobody thinks Davis is racist and nobody was going to counter Russ. To me, it looks like an ignorant flex by Russ.

There is a lot to admire about Westbrook- his effort, intensity and locker room leadership. I don’t know that kindness, consideration and thoughtfulness are on the list. 

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

Edited by hobbes2702

1 hour ago, Kermit said:

Brooklyn is a dumpster fire.

Excuse me sir, but my Lakers will take you to court for trademark infringement as they have the dumpster all to themselves. Brooklyn is what happens when you mess around, find out and then are insane enough to go back and find out even more stuff. Hiring Udoka is the cherry on top of their crazy sundae.

• Haha 1

i just tuned in to this okc vs orlando game with ~9 min left in the 4Q, and the basketball i've seen from the magic during that time is *literally* the worst basketball i've seen since shaka smart was at texas. just one clueless, horrible possession after another. really bad. 

it looks like they just play 5 out on offense and just pass it around until one of them takes a terrible shot.

51 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Nets on pace to lose again. The coach that was banging married women in his last organization should get them right. 

Kyrie had as many points as fouls this game. 2-12, 4 points, 6 Reb, 7 AST, 4 fouls in 33 minutes, playing like he's on the Lakers. Not a great look at home, maybe he really liked Nash. 

Amid the Lakers and Nets tire fires, the Warriors low-key suck right now. I'm sure a decent amount of that is championship hangover, and I don't expect to see anything resembling elite team defense this calendar year. But they had some savvy vets and pro's pros on the roster last year, and are now putting a lot of faith in a bunch of young guys who have never played big minutes to bring it 82 nights a season. Gonna take some time.

I still don't understand paying Poole a year earlier than they had to. I like him a lot, but he's an undersized 2-guard who doesn't play defense or rebound, and is only a decent passer at this point in his career. Not to mention the awkwardness of a Steph, Poole, Klay lineup not really being sustainable against good teams. $35M is a lot to pay for a 6th man. Why not wait and see how this year plays out.

26 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Amid the Lakers and Nets tire fires, the Warriors low-key suck right now. I'm sure a decent amount of that is championship hangover, and I don't expect to see anything resembling elite team defense this calendar year. But they had some savvy vets and pro's pros on the roster last year, and are now putting a lot of faith in a bunch of young guys who have never played big minutes to bring it 82 nights a season. Gonna take some time.

I still don't understand paying Poole a year earlier than they had to. I like him a lot, but he's an undersized 2-guard who doesn't play defense or rebound, and is only a decent passer at this point in his career. Not to mention the awkwardness of a Steph, Poole, Klay lineup not really being sustainable against good teams. $35M is a lot to pay for a 6th man. Why not wait and see how this year plays out.

You just don't understand how Golden State works. If you aren't light years ahead, you're light years behind.

10 hours ago, aggie08 said:

James Wiseman...ugh.  Virtually unplayable right now.

12 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Porter, Payton 2 and Toscano Anderson were really good for them off the bench last season. I like the Divencenzo and Jaymichael Green additions on paper, but Divencenzo has a troublesome injury history and Green isn't the shooter that Porter is. And neither brings the defensive juice like Payton did. He was a menace. The Warriors were always most dangerous when they had an energizer second unit that could go crazy on you, even going back to the Iguodala, Barbosa, Livingston, Ezeli, days. It's even more important now that the core is older. They had it going last season, but I don't know if they find that same groove this year. Those young guys are going to have to bring it. 

• Like 1