NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

i found it highly satisfying today when LeBron's hometown Cavs, an organization that has drafted and traded well, acquiring a stockpile of young talent, beat the LAL LeBron & Friends Lakers by fourteen points. it's hilarious, the opposing trajectories of those two franchises.

Since they played the Cavs, today was my first time watching a Lakers game from start to finish this season.

And wow what a mess.

Besides a notably disinterested Lebron, an AD who is still good but not dominant, and Westbrook who is good about once every 5 or 6 games (today was one of those good games), they have nothing - NOTHING.  Troy Brown 30 minutes.  Austin Reaves 25 minutes.  Wenyen Gabriel, Kendrick Nunn, Lonnie Walker, Matt Ryan - each with 15-20 minutes.  My goodness what a trainwreck of a roster.

At least the top of the 2023 draft is pretty loaded so help is on the way...right?

Edited by Message Board User
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Naz Reid came into the season as our 11th man and is our 3rd or 4th best player lol. Nowell is a volume scorer, Taureen Prince is good, I’m still figuring out if I can stomach Kyle Anderson’s lethargic play

Admittedly the starting 5 has underachieved my expectations. DLo has been ass. Ant is jeckyll and Hyde.

Lots of teams pegged as contenders are stumbling out of the gates: sixers, heat, nets, warriors

Maybe Rudy getting Covid will pull some of our heads out of our asses

At this point, I feel like I'm just piling on but it's not just that they are a mess. It's that they are a mess and their schedule has been dogshit so far. They get Phoenix, Memphis and Cleveland in a row next week. Good luck with that. I didn't know that Gobert got Covid again. How long is he out? It's going to be pretty hilarious if they win some of those games and everybody looks better with him out of the lineup. 

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Since they played the Cavs, today was my first time watching a Lakers game from start to finish this season.

And wow what a mess.

Besides a notably disinterested Lebron, an AD who is still good but not dominant, and Westbrook who is good about once every 5 or 6 games (today was one of those good games), they have nothing - NOTHING.  Troy Brown 30 minutes.  Austin Reaves 25 minutes.  Wenyen Gabriel, Kendrick Nunn, Lonnie Walker, Matt Ryan - each with 15-20 minutes.  My goodness what a trainwreck of a roster.

At least the top of the 2023 draft is pretty loaded so help is on the way...right?

Pretty sure New Orleans owns the Lakers pick in 2023

On 11/5/2022 at 9:51 AM, Herpa Derpa said:

KD's behavior during the whole Kyrie saga(s) is an indictment of his complete lack of leadership skills. His whole "just want to play ball" mantra has become a cover for this deficiency. He may have won MVPs at GS, but that was never his team. This Nets team is his, and it's been a tire fire seen from the moon since the jump.

I've always enjoyed giving LBJ shit for losing in the Finals more than he's won, but every single trip was due to his ability to carry the team through the season and reach the top. That required elite ball skills, AND elite leadership skills. KD's career will end with two rent-a-titles and a legacy of ignoring his responsibilities as a leader of men. What a shame.

I’m still enjoying being a KD fan. He’s the greatest (not highest volume) scorer ever, and a great competitor. He has never claimed to be a great leader. 

I notice the quotes post was applauded and upvoted by the resident OKC fans. I guess they’ll always be salty about KD. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah all that "leadership"said is clearly something kd feels like it's not his job. It would be one thing if he was pointing fingers and part of the problem but he isn't. He has remained consistent that he is there to play ball full stop everywhere he's been. I empathize. I get paid based strictly on productivity but my employer also includes requirements that I perform a full week's worth of unpaid labor every year that they legitimately call "other work". I resent TF out of it. I'm sure kd feels similarly about babysitting Kyrie and Simmons.

19 hours ago, Message Board User said:

And wow what a mess.

Dude,get league pass for the Cavs, it's worth it this season.

3 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Dude,get league pass for the Cavs, it's worth it this season.

I do have it - but just for the Cavs.  Haven't missed a second of the Cavs season so far.  That's why last night was my first and only time watching the Lakers.

Edited by Message Board User

Atlanta takes down the Bucks, despite not having Trey Young tonight. The Bucks don't have Middleton, but still, losing by 19 is pretty bad.  The Bucks hadn't really played any tough team yet, so maybe they aren't as good as their 9-0 record made them seem to be. They have a few more tough games coming up, so it will be interesting to see how they do.

Man I fell asleep in the third quarter of that Cavs/Clippers game, but it was a close one. It was the second night of a B2B for the Cavs after beating the Lakers, so they weren't 100%, but I thought this would be a win. Garland was jacking up some dumb shots early, but seemed to settle down. Cavs were rebounding great all game, so I'm surprised they lost. Close game, but it happens. Was hoping they could join the Bucks and Jazz in the 9 win club.

15 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Tonight’s the first night in nba history all teams are playing. That’s kinda crazy

I thought that was pretty cool how they started a new game every 15 minutes. Staggers the finishes so you can (in theory) watch the end of each game. They should be doing that every night and have like a NFL red zone deal where they show the last two minutes of every game. 

Also... your Twolves got blown out at home by the shitty Knicks. No Gobert, but that's (another) bad, bad loss. At first blush, 5-6 doesn't look too terrible breaking in a revamped roster until you realize their 5 wins are against OKC 2x, SA, HOU and LAL. That's four teams that are tanking, even though one of them doesn't realize it. They've had 8 home games to start the season and only 3 roadies. The schedule couldn't have set up any better for them to get off to a hot start. It's going to get worse.

I get that 11 games is way too early to jump to conclusions, but they haven't even shown glimpses of being good. Is Finch on a hot seat? How much rope does he have? Not only do they look disorganized, but they also don't look like they are even playing hard. 

On 11/6/2022 at 10:02 PM, Message Board User said:

And wow what a mess.

Don't worry, Bronny is on the way!

ESPN needs to be banned from airing NBA games. They are screen-in-screen interviewing Wojnarowski during a game. As if their pregame and halftime desk wasn't suicide-inducing enough. 

They're now split-screening Julius Randle miced up with the actual game being played. It's like a producer is trying to get fired. 

More split-screen with the game going on. This time a Draft Kings promo. How is a national broadcast this terrible? 

Edited by ztejas

5 minutes ago, Cornpop said:

Did you just start watching the nba?

in case you haven't noticed, he's a totally different player this year. and he's not just putting up better stats, he's helping lead his team to a 10-3 start. he's never been this guy before.

Edited by shadow_operative

Markkanen:

career averages: 29.9 mpg, 15.7 pts, 5.5/12.4 FG, .445 FG%, 3.3/6.3 2P FG, .526 2P FG%, 6.8 reb, 1.1 Oreb, 1.3 ast

season averages: 33.3 mpg, 21.9 pts, 8.3/15.6 FG, .529 FG%, 6.4/9.4 2P FG, .681 2P FG%, 8.8 reb, 2.2 Oreb, 2.7 ast

he's having a career year by a pretty wide margin, and he's doing so as a leader on a winning team, as opposed to a role player on a losing team. there's a pretty stark difference in his play this year and in previous years. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Markannen and the Jazz will both come back to earth. Neither are special.

I mean half of his points tonight were wide open 3s. 

the jazz will for sure come back to earth, but markkanen has looked awesome. ive watched a bunch of them this year because i have jordan clarkson on both of my fantasy teams, and LM has been playing like an actual alpha. i don't see any reason he can't continue to do so in his new role with his new team. 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

in case you haven't noticed, he's a totally different player this year. and he's not just putting up better stats, he's helping lead his team to a 10-3 start. he's never been this guy before.

Easy man just having a jab at you. He has exploded this year, but he was a ticking time bomb in my opinion. With his size and skillset it was just a matter of time

23 minutes ago, ztejas said:

LeBron is checked out other than catching KAJ. This Lakers team may be worse than their team last year. Can't believe they gave him that extension. 

Most of their games haven't even been competitive. Tonight's game announcers claiming LJ has some kind of leg injury. This lakers season could get really, really ugly 

7 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

2023 NBA Draft

First round: Pelicans have the right to swap picks (Anthony Davis trade in 2019)

Second round: Own

I know. I was being sarcastic. The Lakers aren't getting a generational player in the draft. They probably won't be picking in the lottery.