NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

Looks like Garland has figured it out:

Last 5 games:  33.2 ppg (54.4 FG% : 55.8 3PT%) 7.2 apg 1.8 spg

He's shooting 43.9% from 3 this season, which is 5 points better than he did last year.  Him and Donovan Mitchell are a hell of a duo.

But we will not speak about the turnovers.  

Great game last night that I had chalked up to a loss, given the injury issues and it was a 2nd night of a back to back.  The defense on the Hawks was amazeballs and Lamar Stevens needs to be getting minutes over Okoro on the reg.  Stevens had Dejounte Murray in hell last night (4-17) and the Hawks scored 43 points in the 2nd half as everybody locked down.

Tomorrow night vs Portland (sans Dame) and then another test at Milwaukee Friday.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Someone remind me how soon players who sign new contracts can be traded? Asking for Jordan Poole.

I believe it's 1 year now when it's an extension vs a free agent contract.  I know Lebron can't be traded until next year, but I'm not sure what rule change was put in place to alter that.

Would you want to swap him for Ben Simmons? Kyrie + GS throwing in more stuff?  Who would want that contract right now?  It was an incredibly stupid decision to sign him a year early, but I suspect they were hoping he could take over for Klay at some point and save them money in the future.  He's not half the defender Klay used to be though and he's a streaky shooter.  

Unless that new NBA deal skyrockets the cap, Poole is gonna be a bad contract for a few years. The Warriors have been able to offload some garbage in the past, so who knows. 

So the deal is you can't trade a player for 1 year after they sign an extension with more than a 5% increase in salary year over year.  This rule was added in order to prevent trades of a cheap guy on a 1 year with long extension behind him to circumvent the cap/trade rules.  Poole's contract goes up 8% next year, so I think he qualifies for that trade restriction, but there's no way GS moves him this year anyway.  

I'm just surprised that the super smart, self-proclaimed genius, elitist Golden State Warriors jumped the gun and paid early for a guy who would have been an RFA next year.  They could have matched whatever his market value is, or moved on. They are paying a fuck ton for this roster (189m) and it's projected to go up next year to 214m. It's crazy to see them blow that kind of money on their roster.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

Meh. Poole is still young. I’m not willing to make any judgement just yet.

No snap judgments. He'll be a fine player in the league, though I doubt ever Top 15-20 level. But, right now, he's a small one dimensional player (and the one dimension hasn't shown up so far this year) who just signed a near-max contact on a team paying luxury tax up the ass, with no clear path to being a starter in the near-future.

It's not entirely his fault, but he's the 6th man, and the bench has been absolutely hemorrhaging points. Whenever Steph sits, they're 30.0 points worse per 100 possessions. That's absolutely insane...and completely unsustainable. They probably need to make a move to get some vets, but they're short on pieces.

Like Dutchrudder said, there was no point to sign him early unless they got him at a discount. Golden State only knocked off a couple mil from what his max salary could have been. They should have let him play out the year. If he plays great and another team offers the max, match it. Playing great in the context of the Warriors means he's an integral piece on another championship--or near-championship team--so they'll be happy to pay. If they get bounced in the 2nd round and he's only okay, then they can probably get him for cheaper or work other options.

Their front office has been pretty damn solid, and they've proven me wrong before. I was critical of acquiring Wiggins (though Russell's value at the time wasn't exactly through the roof). And I thought they should have packaged Wiggins and Wiseman for a couple of decent rotation players last year. Thank god I'm not a GM.

But I don't think I'm wrong on this one.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

So how does this work? I subscribe to ballys for wolves games…theyll be blacked out on NBA LP but I could watch Knicks/ nets?

Yes. You can’t watch local games on league pass but I’m pretty sure everything else is there. I’m not sure about tnt or espn games. They might not be on league pass. I will say the nba app is dogshit and it is a pain to switch from game to game when you’re going from app to cable to app. 

Yes. You can’t watch local games on league pass but I’m pretty sure everything else is there. I’m not sure about tnt or espn games. They might not be on league pass. I will say the nba app is dogshit and it is a pain to switch from game to game when you’re going from app to cable to app. 

There wasn’t many rave reviews about it from those who’ve had it since the start of the season in the comment section

ive had it the last couple of years. the mlb app blows the nba app out if the water. the mlb app is great- it has all kinds of features that the nba app lacks, it has more/better options for game watching, and it has none of the bugs that the nba app has. 

the truth is that if i didn't play fantasy basketball i doubt i'd pay for it every year, however, i'd also say that $50 is a pretty good deal to have access to every game for the rest of the season. no local games or espn/tnt games, but every other game is available.

Wolves just played the pacers. I made the weird assumption that capella was better than Turner this past summer. And I’ll admit that was a bad bad take.

Turner went all Steph curry and hit like 7 3s. Hopefully he can stay healthy. Wolves had jaden mcdaniels guard haliburton all game and basically ended his threat. Indys decent with haliburton, mathurin and Turner. Not sold on their role players like Hield, McConnell. McConnell might be the first white guard I’ve seen you can leave on an island outside of the arc and he won’t shoot it.

• Hook 'Em 1

I have been barely paying attention to the Warriors/Jazz game for a bit, and I have seen at least 2 air balls from Jordan Poole. That's pretty awful for a guy his age.  

The Cavs had a great first half against the Bucks tonight, then fell apart in the 3rd and never recovered.  Jarrett Allen was pulled early for a hip injury, which really hurt the Cavs interior defense, otherwise they were doing great. 

The Rockets somehow destroyed the Hawks in the 4th and came back from like 15 down to win it. 

Portland/Knicks looked weird. I tuned in for the last few minutes, and they just kept fouling. 

I think we can all agree that the Purple and Gold are back on track for the playoffs. You don’t just walk in and beat the Duncan-Parker-Ginobili trio back-to-back like that very often. Actually (checks notes) umm, none of them play anymore and (checks notes again) the Spurs have a worse record than the Lakers. Well at least we will have a high draft pick after the season and can build around that pick. Looks at the notes about the 2023 draft one last time as I throw them away! 

5 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

luke kornet with the shot contest of the year:

He's been doing it all season.  Started messing with it a few years ago, and last year in the G league, did it more and more.  There's someone on reddit who claims opponents are 3/12 when he does it, but others claim he has done it quite a bit more than that:

• Haha 3

What a bad ass. Seriously. Willing to completely embarrass himself to cause an opponent to realistically shoot, like, 5% worse from the field to try to help his team win.

Give me 2 of him and 3 of the guys who seem to keep posterized once a week because they refuse to let a dunk go uncontested, and we'll have...well...not a very good basketball team...but they'll have heart, damnit.

• Hook 'Em 1

Tuned in last night to see the Spurs remember they're supposed to be losing and blow a 20 point lead to an Okie City team without SGA.  Hope the tall French kid likes puffy tacos.

Seen a few Okie City games this season.  They actually have a good young core of wings but trash big men.  SGA is finally having an All Star season and 31 ppg while shooting over 50%.  What's more impressive is he's also at 6 assists per game despite passing to spare parts.  The Jalen Williams with the hair looks to be a player, too.  27 points last night and Rookie of the Month.  Okie City has already won the Paul George trade and they're not even halfway through the picks.  They already have SGA, Tre Mann, and now Jalen Williams.  They seem to think Chet can play if he stays healthy so there's that.

That being said, they'll prolly go all out to get SGA an All Star spot and then depending on their record, here come the "injuries."