NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

If I were the Rockets GM I might just offer up Jalen Green for future first.  The dude is absolutely toxic and between him and KPJ, the locker room has no change at any semblance of professionalism

Hope for his sake he stays off social media tonight...

Meanwhile, the guy selected right after Green did this - 19 for 27 tonight.

Edited by Message Board User

Back on OKC... here is a summary of their future draft picks for those who have lost count. Future picks are my reasonable best guess:

• 2023 - 9 - Best 1st rounder between OKC and Clippers
  • 2023 - 37 - Best 2nd rounder between OKC and Wizards
  • 2023 - 50 - Best 2nd rounder between Miami and Dallas
  • 2024 - 5 - via Houston 1-4 protected
  • 2024 - 8 - via Clippers unprotected
  • 2024 - 13 - OKC own pick
  • 2024 - 14 - via Utah 1-10 protected
  • 2024 - 45 - Worst 2nd rounder between Charlotte and Minnesota
  • 2025 - 6 - Best 1st rounder between Clippers, Houston (1-10 protected) and OKC
  • 2025 - 20 - via Miami (1-14 protected)
  • 2025 - 22 - via Philly (1-6 protected)
  • 2025 - 48 - via Atlanta (31-40 protected)
  • 2025 - 52 - Best 2nd rounder between Boston and Memphis
  • 2025 - 54 - via Philly
  • 2026 - 7 - via Houston 1-4 protected
  • 2026 - 8 - via Clippers unprotected
  • 2026 - 20 - OKC own pick
  • 2026 - 45 - Best 2nd rounder between Dallas, Philly, OKC
  • 2027 - 24 - OKC own pick
  • 2027 - 25 - via Denver 1-5 protected

As it stands, OKC could have as many as 9-10 lottery picks over the next 5 years!  Plus a ton of 2nd round picks.... 20 picks in total. 

There is no way that they can even use all of these picks, so I would expect them to be active in bundling them up to go higher in the draft, or in trades to get some better players.

I think it is incredibly unlikely, but if I was OKC, I would try to mend fences with Durant and bring him back for a redemption tour. It could also help rehab his image (though I'm sure he doesn't care much about that).  Even though the Nets are doing well right now, I think their ownership would entertain some offers given the drama of the last few years.

Then I would use another chunk of the picks to go get DeAndre Ayton or Myles Turner.

For this year, they could throw a few picks at Orlando to bring in Bamba to help at center and take some of the load off of Chet Holmgren in the future.  James Wiseman might also be an option.

This has the potential to be a title team:

• PG - Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
  • SG - Josh Giddey
  • SF - Kevin Durant
  • PF - Myles Turner
  • C - Chet Holmgren

13 hours ago, aggie08 said:

...and if Dillon Brooks and Papa Morant we're just regular people, they would have been dragged out so fast...

Can't apply "you or I" rules to any of this.

I get what you are saying but, this is the player's place of work. Yeah, it's entertainment but they are still working. Hockey players can fight. That doesn't mean I can join a hockey fight and say, "well, they were fighting". Sharpe had no business whatsoever doing what he did. The only reason he was not thrown out after challenging a player to fight, and then a player's father, was because he is Shannon Sharpe. There was just a video the other day of a guy, courtside, who was ejected for just saying things. He didn't challenge anyone to a fight.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Back on OKC... here is a summary of their future draft picks for those who have lost count. Future picks are my reasonable best guess:

• 2025 - 6 - Best 1st rounder between Clippers, Houston (1-10 protected) and OKC
  • 2025 - 54 - via Philly

As it stands, OKC could have as many as 9-10 lottery picks over the next 5 years!  Plus a ton of 2nd round picks.... 20 picks in total. 

There is no way that they can even use all of these picks, so I would expect them to be active in bundling them up to go higher in the draft, or in trades to get some better players.

Regarding that; saw a stat the other night that referenced 8 teams have 85  first round draft picks over the next 7 years:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/268558/Eight-Teams-Control-85-First-Round-Picks-Over-Next-Seven-Years

Eight teams control 85 first round picks over the next seven years.

The Utah Jazz and Oklahoma City each have 14 incoming picks, while the San Antonio Spurs and New York Knicks have 11, the New Orleans Pelicans, Indiana Pacers and Orlando Magic have nine, and the Houston Rockets have eight.

The Pelicans and Thunder began this league-wide trend with their trades in 2019 of Anthony Davis and Paul George respectively. 

13 hours ago, Message Board User said:

If I were the Rockets GM I might just offer up Jalen Green for future first.  The dude is absolutely toxic and between him and KPJ, the locker room has no change at any semblance of professionalism

Hope for his sake he stays off social media tonight...

Meanwhile, the guy selected right after Green did this - 19 for 27 tonight.

Josh Giddey is a better shooter than Jalen Green at this point.  Green is basically a volume guy.

2 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

That 2026 clippers unprotected is tasty

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

• 2025 - 54 - via Philly

Zack Lowe had an Okie City reporter on his show the other day.  He had a quote from another GM not involved in the PG trade he put it this way.  "Ten years from now it'll go down as the worst trade in league history but the Clippers had to make it."  I thought that was a good way to put it.

Presti backloading those Clipper picks was masterful.  He knew that even if they were great with PG and The Nephew wouldn't hold up until then.  Hell, the 2024 unprotected pick might be tasty at this point.  Same with Houston 2024 1-4 protected.

I'd like to see them package a lot of these picks for a big.  Pascal from Toronto would be a great fit but as HookEm said, we all love stories and Durant going back would be a good one, much like Bron back to Cleveland.  He makes amends, goes back, wins a title, and his jersey is retired there with a statue or something.  (Actually, where is his jersey/number going to be retired?)  Then again, he may not care about this so who knows?

3 hours ago, HookEm said:

Siakam would be a great fit.

Disagree as I don't think he fits the timeline of the other young talent.  He's listed at 29 years old but who really knows.  I like his game but could easily see him falling off a cliff soon and he would cost several of those good first rounders.

I think OG Anonoby (25 years old) would be a better option.

1 hour ago, Fastbreak said:

Sac ain’t trading Sabonis

Sabonis becomes a free agent at the end of next season.  If they think they are going to lose him, I can see them taking a good offer.  And OKC has the ability to put together some incredible offers.

Let's say OKC offered Sacramento Chet Holmgren, the 2024 Clippers unprotected pick and the 2025 Clippers/Houston/OKC pick.  Sacramento would be insane to turn that down. 

9 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Josh Giddey is a better shooter than Jalen Green at this point.  Green is basically a volume guy.

This utter bullshit.

Green has the better eFG%, TS%, FT%, 3P%. Green scores from all 3 levels, Giddey doesn't.

Giddey - 14 PPG on 13.2 FGA

Green - 19 PPG on 15.7 FGA

32 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

This utter bullshit.

Green has the better eFG%, TS%, FT%, 3P%. Green scores from all 3 levels, Giddey doesn't.

Are you including their rookie season in those stats?

Because this season, it's Giddey that has a better...well...everything than Green.

Don't know how to cut & paste from basketball-reference so I'll just link - 

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?player_id2=greenja05&p1yrfrom=2023&player_id1=giddejo01&p2yrfrom=2023&sum=0&request=1&utm_campaign=2023_01_wdgt_player_comparison&utm_source=bbr&utm_medium=sr_xsite&utm_id=giddejo01

Maybe in the long run Green will turn out to be the better player, but the fact that they are comparable in Year 2 demonstrates that the Jalen Green experience needs a course correction, badly.  Green was the #2 overall pick in a loaded draft and so far...guh.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

This utter bullshit.

Giddey is shooting a better % at literally everything.  He improved on everything from his rookie year and Green regressed.

Where are you getting this?

Edited by Aqua Buddha

4 hours ago, HookEm said:

Sabonis becomes a free agent at the end of next season.  If they think they are going to lose him, I can see them taking a good offer.  And OKC has the ability to put together some incredible offers.

Let's say OKC offered Sacramento Chet Holmgren, the 2024 Clippers unprotected pick and the 2025 Clippers/Houston/OKC pick.  Sacramento would be insane to turn that down. 

That's such a strong assed offer that you're right, SAC may take that if they think they're going to lose Sabonis.  I don't think Okie City makes that, though, but if they did, adding Sabonis to that roster would be make them an instant contender.  Also, he played there at one point.

8 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

That's such a strong assed offer that you're right, SAC may take that if they think they're going to lose Sabonis.  I don't think Okie City makes that, though, but if they did, adding Sabonis to that roster would be make them an instant contender.  Also, he played there at one point.

Couple things - 

1) I think OKC would be foolish to blow their wad right now; just stay the course and see what's what in a year or so

2) The standard now for All-starish players is about 4-5 unprotected firsts / pick swaps, so OKC would need to offer more than the hypothetical deal mentioned above.

5 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Couple things - 

1) I think OKC would be foolish to blow their wad right now; just stay the course and see what's what in a year or so

2) The standard now for All-starish players is about 4-5 unprotected firsts / pick swaps, so OKC would need to offer more than the hypothetical deal mentioned above.

You're right on point #2.  The PG deal along with with the Gobert deal means everyone thinks you trade away your entire draft future for one guy and that's what SAC will want and maybe they should.  Also, with OKC, they have so many picks spread over so long of a time frame that they can hit on just 50% and be good for a long time.  That's really good security.  If they keep these picks and draft reasonably well, they're good past 2030.

For me offering Chet Holmgren in any deal is the equivalent of multiple unprotected firsts. He was just the #2 overall player.  Honestly I don’t think I would trade him straight up for Gobert when you factor in age and salary.

Who knows what a pick becomes. Maybe a great player. Maybe a #22 throw away. 
I agree generally that OKC should stay the course. But they are looking like they are ahead of schedule and they have way more picks than they can ever use. I would sprinkle a few picks to get some players NOW, while keeping the bulk of the war chest for the future.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, HookEm said:

For me offering Chet Holmgren in any deal is the equivalent of multiple unprotected firsts. He was just the #2 overall player.  Honestly I don’t think I would trade him straight up for Gobert when you factor in age and salary.

I agree generally that OKC should stay the course. But they are looking like they are ahead of schedule and they have way more picks than they can ever use. I would sprinkle a few picks to get some players NOW, while keeping the bulk of the war chest for the future.

Yeah man, I'm not trading Chet if I'm okc, but if I was the Kings and OKC offered me that at the end of this year I would do that deal in a heartbeat.  My love for Chet though probably isn't rational.  And the Clips could implode at any time.  

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Lakers may land Hachimura for Nunn and 3 second rounders.

I am cool with this trade because Hachimura is someone I enjoyed watching going back to his Gonzaga days. The Lakers need more guys like him on the roster if they ever want to even think about making the play-in games.

15 hours ago, HookEm said:

As of right now, I wouldn’t trade Walker Kessler straight up for Gobert.  

15 hours ago, HookEm said:

They need a veteran of to play with Alexander.   I’d grab Westbrook 

23 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Sac ain’t trading Sabonis

I still find it humorous the amount of teams that passed on him in the draft. He is ridiculously talented. I have mentioned this before, but when I got to see him in-person in the NCAA tournament against a Utah team that had Poeltl and Kuzma I knew he was going to be really good at the next level. He was far and away the best player on the floor and they blew the doors off Utah that day. Seeing him then was what I imagined it must’ve been like seeing his dad before his body gave out. I mean his pedigree alone should’ve told a GM “Hmm so Arvydas is his dad? This kid might be able to stick in the league for a few years!” I mean the Raptors traded to get Poeltl in the 2016 draft when they could’ve picked Sabonis who had just given them evidence head-to-head that he was the better player.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UpperWestside said:

I still find it humorous the amount of teams that passed on him in the draft. He is ridiculously talented. I have mentioned this before, but when I got to see him in-person in the NCAA tournament against a Utah team that had Poeltl and Kuzma I knew he was going to be really good at the next level. He was far and away the best player on the floor and they blew the doors off Utah that day. Seeing him then was what I imagined it must’ve been like seeing his dad before his body gave out. I mean his pedigree alone should’ve told a GM “Hmm so Arvydas is his dad? This kid might be able to stick in the league for a few years!” I mean the Raptors traded to get Poeltl in the 2016 draft when they could’ve picked Sabonis who had just given them evidence head-to-head that he was the better player.

Apparently Arvydas in his prime was close to Hakeem 

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Apparently Arvydas in his prime was close to Hakeem 

What little clear video exists of Arvydas shows the modern big man about 20-25 years before we got to see it in the NBA. You will always kind of wonder what might have been with him if not for the Cold War. He always has seemed like a really nice guy when he has been interviewed. I read before where he thought Domantas would be the one that could be a professional basketball player out of his sons because of his attitude and work ethic. Seems like he knows his son fairly well.

10 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

It's probably a lot harder to go bust today than it was back then. According to Sportrac, Walker's career earnings were $107M. Simmons is on pace for $203M. No way he can F that up. Right?

Simmons says challenge accepted! The more money some of these guys have the faster they burn through it. He’ll be broke within a year of leaving the NBA. I don’t wish that on him, but almost a million for a ring?