NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

This is pretty funny to read:

Patrick Beverley halftime talk sparks Lakers to improbable win

PORTLAND, Ore. -- With his team down by 25 points at the half after being outscored 45-13 by the Trail Blazers in the second quarter, Los Angeles Lakers coach Darvin Ham kept his comments to the players brief during the break.

"Darvin walked out of here and said, 'Y'all figure this s--- out,'" point guard Dennis Schroder said following the Lakers' improbable 121-112 come-from-behind victory on Sunday.

Ham's exit provided an opening for Lakers guard Patrick Beverley to share a message that resonated with the group in the impromptu players meeting.

"Told the guys, 'Just turn our swag up,'" said Beverley, who had a plus-minus of plus-27 in the 29 minutes he was in the game. "Understand we're fortunate to play a game that gives us stability to take care of our families, be able to live a lifestyle, a fortunate lifestyle that a lot of people dream about.

"So regardless of what's going on, have fun with this s---. Stay swaggy. That was my message, and we came out and responded."

The Blazers outscoring the Lakers by 32 in the second quarter was the widest margin by any NBA team in any quarter this season. What came next was one of the biggest turnarounds in Lakers franchise history -- tied for the second-largest halftime deficit overcome to win, behind only the 28-point comeback L.A. had against the Dallas Mavericks in December 2002.

20 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

As of right now, I wouldn’t trade Walker Kessler straight up for Gobert.  

Rk Player Season Age G MP PER TS% 3PAr FTr ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG%   OWS DWS WS WS/48   OBPM DBPM BPM VORP
1 Rudy Gobert 2022-23 30 40 1224 19.1 .696 .010 .618 12.7 29.5 21.3 3.8 1.3 3.9 15.5 15.8   2.7 1.9 4.5 .178   0.2 0.2 0.4 0.8
2 Walker Kessler 2022-23 21 47 944 20.7 .697 .000 .410 15.4 24.3 19.9 5.1 0.8 7.9 12.0 13.0   2.5 1.4 3.9 .197   0.9 1.3 2.3 1.0

No kidding. Do you want a 21 year old Kessler who is only going to get better making $2.7 million this year and $13 million combined over the next four years, or a maxed out 30 year old Gobert making $38 million this year and $168 million over the next four? 

I guess Minnesota has been playing a bit better lately, but I still can't wrap my head around that trade. I'm sure I'll be eating crow when they are riding high after winning a *checks standings* play-in game, but still... I don't see any way that it won't go down as one of the dumbest, most one-sided trades in NBA history. 

It’s certainly underwhelmed. The whole concept, to me anyways from the beginning was Rudy just needed to block/defend shots, grab boards and score easy buckets. Players like KAT, ant, Dlo and others would score. Beginning of the season DLo was absolutely terrible. Not sure if he was sleep deprived after becoming a dad or what, lulz.

Right after KAT injured his calf around thanksgiving, he pulled his head out of his ass and has shot like the DLo of old(near 50% on FG & 3 pointers in Jan ). But it’s definitely still the same old wolves. Any given night they can compete and beat Denver handily, and also lose to Detroit and Houston in the same week.

The next 3 weeks are season defining.The next 10 of 11 games up until Valentine’s Day are Vs western conference playoff teams. It starts tonight @Nola then a critical 6 game home stand where they need to win and create some separation from the play in group. I fully expect them to finish 3-8 or 4-7 because sota gonna sota

Dame scored 60 tonight, and my takeaways are a)i don't care- scoring is laughably easy these days; and b)why should i care about Dame or anything he does? who even is he in NBA history? some dude who spent a bunch of years scoring a ton of points while not making anyone around him better and never winning anything? Dame is an enigma to me. sort of a waste of great talent. his time in the league is totally unimportant when telling the story of the nba. but congrats on all of the points i guess? 

Edited by shadow_operative
this goddamn iphone autocorrect bullshit

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

oh good, just what i tuned in for.

43A9F19E-9FAA-4B1F-B318-A1D576EA4867.jpeg

This has been a very ticky-tack officiated game, I really hate to watch this kinda garbage. So many dumb calls slows the game down so much.  Steph just got ejected for throwing his mouthpiece towards and official (looked incidental), which is just the cherry on top of this shit sundae.

Edited by Dutchrudder

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Dame scored 60 tonight, and my takeaways are a)i don't care- scoring is laughably easy these days; and b)why should i care about Dame or anything he does? who even is he in NBA history? some dude who spent a bunch of years scoring a ton of points while not making anyone around him better and never winning anything? Dame is an enigma to me. sort of a waste of great talent. his time in the league is totally unimportant when telling the story of the nba. but congrats on all of the points i guess? 

Disagree. Dame plays ball, is a good teammate, and is never in the headlines for the wrong shit. Can't be mad at that. And it's not like Portland has sucked with him. They've never been a threat to win it all but they've won a lot of games because of him.

You point to Klay as someone more worthy of respect, but when has Klay ever had to be THE GUY carrying the franchise? When has Dame ever had Steph next to him? Or even Klay?

4 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
10 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:
Ok, this is pretty funny though, Poole's shot got Curry so mad he threw his mouthguard and got ejected...

Steph is too good and intelligent to be acting like a 14 yo lil dribbler.

That was about the Steph equivalent of punching a teammate. Poole seems have a knack.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
10 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:
Ok, this is pretty funny though, Poole's shot got Curry so mad he threw his mouthguard and got ejected...

This is the 3rd time he has been ejected from a game for throwing his mouth guard. The most memorable one was when he threw his little bitch tantrum in game 6 of the finals against the Cavs. He threw it at the Cavs bench and was tossed for the last few minutes of the game. They ended up losing that game 7, which lead to Draymond crying in a parking lot to KD to come save them from the big bad Bron. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Brothahorn said:
12 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Whats worse is all these idiots out here blaming the ref for tossing him.   Or a few blaming it on Poole.   Stop acting like a bitch!!

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, SilasCoade said:

Disagree. Dame plays ball, is a good teammate, and is never in the headlines for the wrong shit. Can't be mad at that. And it's not like Portland has sucked with him. They've never been a threat to win it all but they've won a lot of games because of him.

You point to Klay as someone more worthy of respect, but when has Klay ever had to be THE GUY carrying the franchise? When has Dame ever had Steph next to him? Or even Klay?

yeah but Dame has chosen money over putting himself on a team that can win anything. that's his choice. he chooses to pile up meaningless stats and obscene paychecks for a franchise that has never been and will never be a contender during his lengthy career. he's just some dude whose games are on TV past midnight - 1am east coast time, piling up meaningless numbers, and a couple of badass early round shots. nothing more, and seemingly no ambition for anything more. i think that might be it for me- he seems to value being the man and being obscenely rich over even trying to win rings. 

I would argue that not one has forced the team to pay him that much and that valuing financial security is hardly a damnable trait. Wouldn't we all rather be obscenely wealthy? The league sets a max salary and multiple players every year get max contracts. At least Dame is worthy of it. He's rarely injured and he brings it every game. It's on the team to build a roster too win rings not him.

2 hours ago, d2o said:

Whats worse is all these idiots out here blaming the ref for tossing him.   Or a few blaming it on Poole.   Stop acting like a bitch!!

Obviously it was Steph's fault, and that absolutely should be (and is) an automatic ejection wherever he throws it. It's fucking gross.

But, my man J Poole, up 2 with a minute and some change left caught the ball from someone who just snagged an offensive rebound (resetting the shot clock) and immediately fired up a semi-contested 32 footer. With Steph fucking Curry on his team.

I mean, Steph should know better by now...but I get it. It's difficult to fathom a worse shot than that.

18 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Obviously it was Steph's fault, and that absolutely should be (and is) an automatic ejection wherever he throws it. It's fucking gross.

But, my man J Poole, up 2 with a minute and some change left caught the ball from someone who just snagged an offensive rebound (resetting the shot clock) and immediately fired up a semi-contested 32 footer. With Steph fucking Curry on his team.

I mean, Steph should know better by now...but I get it. It's difficult to fathom a worse shot than that.

He's been playing with Poole for how many yrs now?   He knows what the kid is gonna do as much as anyone or at least he should.   Regardless, throwing his mouthpiece is never excusable.   Its fucking disgusting without even mentioning how the bitchassness of it.   

1 hour ago, d2o said:

He's been playing with Poole for how many yrs now?   He knows what the kid is gonna do as much as anyone or at least he should.   Regardless, throwing his mouthpiece is never excusable.   Its fucking disgusting without even mentioning how the bitchassness of it.   

He should have punched him instead. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

On 1/26/2023 at 1:43 PM, d2o said:

He's been playing with Poole for how many yrs now?   He knows what the kid is gonna do as much as anyone or at least he should.

This is like saying, "J.R. Smith has been Lebron's teammate for years now. He knows that he's the kind of dumbass that's going to forget the score in the final minute of an NBA Finals' game. He shouldn't have overreacted and embarrassed him on national television like that."

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

This is like saying, "J.R. Smith has been Lebron's teammate for years now. He knows that he's the kind of dumbass that's going to forget the score in the final minute of an NBA Finals' game. He shouldn't have overreacted and embarrassed him on national television like that."

Nah, calling JR stupid to his face is different than throwing your mouthpiece into the crowd.   Only one gets you kicked out of the game.

Edited by d2o
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

throwing your mouthpiece in anger is no different from removing your jersey out of jubilation- they're just emotional reactions which take place in real time, with zero premeditation. if there's no i'll will and nothing dangerous about it, who cares? 

I can't think of another player I have ever seen throw their mouthguard into the crowd or bench, let alone someone doing it 3 times. It's definitely a Steph Curry thing at this point. It would be great if opposing fans would troll him by holding a target or a bucket with a sign that points to it saying "MOUTHGUARD GOES HERE ->"

Edited by Dutchrudder
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

https://old.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/10nbau4/memphis_grizzlies_scorekeeper_posting_fraudulent/

Here's an interesting reddit thread that basically proves that the Grizzlies home scorekeeper is manipulating the stats of Jaren Jackson Jr to credit him with more steals and blocks. The examples he posts are just completely egregious. This seems like it should be a scandal.

• Like 1