NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

3 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

https://old.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/10nbau4/memphis_grizzlies_scorekeeper_posting_fraudulent/

Here's an interesting reddit thread that basically proves that the Grizzlies home scorekeeper is manipulating the stats of Jaren Jackson Jr to credit him with more steals and blocks. The examples he posts are just completely egregious. This seems like it should be a scandal.

In the time that it took you to write this, John Stockton recorded 3 more assists in Utah.

Seriously though, Jaren Jackson is definitely one of the dudes with impressive stats who never impresses me when I actually sit and watch a game.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

In the time that it took you to write this, John Stockton recorded 3 more assists in Utah.

Seriously though, Jaren Jackson is definitely one of the dudes with impressive stats who never impresses me when I actually sit and watch a game.

If whoever is keeping these stats for Memphis had someone putting money on prop stats for these games, or if he made a preseason bet on JJJ to win the defensive player of the year, that would be massive. I really hope that isn't the case but why else would you fudge the numbers that badly. This person is crediting him with blocks and steals for being in the vicinity of bad shots and passes, lol.

Watched JJJ last night do nothing Vs the wolves.

Brandon Clarke on the other hand, always seems to do everything right, and make every shot

4 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

https://old.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/10nbau4/memphis_grizzlies_scorekeeper_posting_fraudulent/

Here's an interesting reddit thread that basically proves that the Grizzlies home scorekeeper is manipulating the stats of Jaren Jackson Jr to credit him with more steals and blocks. The examples he posts are just completely egregious. This seems like it should be a scandal.

This is just typical Reddit basement dwellers. And home scorekeepers are notorious for giving their guys every conceivable benefit of the doubt. 

https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/status/1619400282953359360?s=20&t=1xGX_xUdLmk_LxQb_EcY9A

26 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

This is just typical Reddit basement dwellers. And home scorekeepers are notorious for giving their guys every conceivable benefit of the doubt. 

https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/status/1619400282953359360?s=20&t=1xGX_xUdLmk_LxQb_EcY9A

That large of a home vs away variation just doesn't seem statistically possible. I would love to see who the next closest would be. This matters because of gambling.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

image.thumb.jpeg.9d9852b78f2aec56ff79d7e1279da827.jpeg

Yeah. You seem to be right in that this is just a home scorekeepers across the league fudging numbers for their players. Still, JJJ is a random ass player to get that benefit. And i still find it questionable that a dude who had a pretty long shot to win DPOY is leader in the clubhouse for that award, based purely on some very questionable statkeeping.

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Yeah. You seem to be right in that this is just a home scorekeepers across the league fudging numbers for their players. Still, JJJ is a random ass player to get that benefit. And i still find it questionable that a dude who had a pretty long shot to win DPOY is leader in the clubhouse for that award, based purely on some very questionable statkeeping.

I don’t have a strong opinion on JJJ, but I will say that decently smart basketball people seem to really like his defense fwiw. This thread as an example 

https://twitter.com/kirkgoldsberry/status/1619419346677399553?s=20&t=FaOfO-03DEHjZscGTxHy7A

An interesting what-if to me - what-if Embiid's foot wasn't borked during the run-up to the 2014 draft?

The Cavs would have likely drafted him instead of Wiggins (then probably shipped Embiid to Minnesota for Love).

And had the Cavs had stuck with Wiggins, Milwaukee would have surely picked Embiid instead of Jabari fucking Parker.  Imagine Greek Freak + Embiid on the same team...

Edited by Message Board User
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

That large of a home vs away variation just doesn't seem statistically possible. I would love to see who the next closest would be. This matters because of gambling.

There was a lot of smoke around this criticizing the OKC scorekeeper for giving Westbrook a few rebounds and assists extra per game at home vs away. A few uncontested "team rebounds" were converted each game for him, and some crazy assists where the pass occurs several seconds before the guy shoots the ball.  It basically got him an MVP, so good for OKC I guess, but that's probably the most hollow one this century next to D Rose's. It happens, but the NBA doesn't care, as long as it doesn't impact the bottom line.

10 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Only thing he does that impresses me is how many dumbass shots he takes and idiotic fouls he commits.   

9 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Watched JJJ last night do nothing Vs the wolves.

Brandon Clarke on the other hand, always seems to do everything right, and make every shot

Correct!  He is the livest of live bodies.   Always around the basket making things happen.

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I still haven't watch any games this season... I've really lost interest.  

How popular is the NBA now??

I think this has been an epic season so far. If you like basketball you're missing out. I've seen complaints about lack of defense but I think that really just underestimates how phenomenally skilled these guys have gotten. You have 7 footers every day handling the ball, pulling up from deep on step backs, and directing the offense. The focus on the 3 ball and the deep range of players these days means more open space for cutters so the game is a lot more interesting than the early 2000s Iverson/Kobe version of boring iso after iso.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

I think this has been an epic season so far. If you like basketball you're missing out. I've seen complaints about lack of defense but I think that really just underestimates how phenomenally skilled these guys have gotten. You have 7 footers every day handling the ball, pulling up from deep on step backs, and directing the offense. The focus on the 3 ball and the deep range of players these days means more open space for cutters so the game is a lot more interesting than the early 2000s Iverson/Kobe version of boring iso after iso.

While I do think they players are incredibly skilled I think they have changed the related to defense which has effectively neutered defenders.   Particularly on jump shooters.   You basically cannot contest a jumper.   If you get anywhere near them its a foul, especially if they fall (whether they were actually touched or not).   That said, this season has been great.    There is a level of parity even though its all high level play.    Usually when there is parity its because almost all teams are equally average.   That isnt the case this yr.

14 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

14 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Caesars took down the line for DPOY after that Reddit post.  There’s definitely more to it on this one vs just basement dwelling tools…

8 hours ago, SilasCoade said:

Totally sucks that an intense quality game for so fucked up by the refs. Lebron should have gotten a tech for his tantrum even though he was right.

I understood it. Dude had a banger of a game and should have been shooting FTs for the win. He did look silly though, not like it was a playoff game.

16 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

I still haven't watch any games this season... I've really lost interest.  

How popular is the NBA now??

Not quite that bad for me yet. But I am having a hard time getting into the groove. Although I do normally start really paying attention after the all star break. But last year and probably this year I find myself getting more news and info from twitter and Surly. And I wasted $50 on league pass. 

When I need detailed insight I just look to Surly's version of the TNT crew..Mitch, Derka and Aggie. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2023 at 12:08 AM, SilasCoade said:

Totally sucks that an intense quality game for so fucked up by the refs. Lebron should have gotten a tech for his tantrum even though he was right.

Nah, fuck that.   When the refs are so blatantly wrong the last thing they need to do is double down and call a tech.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 7:39 PM, SilasCoade said:

I've had partial season tickets for Thunder games the last two years, which means I've watched a bunch of borderline NBA guys play on both teams some significant minutes.  What I've noticed is that every single one of these guys can shoot now and that wasn't the case 5-10 years ago.  There used to be plenty of guys who were great on defense but had zero offensive skills to speak of.  They don't exist anymore.  Guys getting called up from the G League can shoot.  Seven footers can shoot.  Everyone can shoot.  It's why bad teams are frequently beating good teams.  If you don't guard literally everyone, they'll score.

On 1/28/2023 at 4:51 PM, Francisco 2.0 said:

I didn't see what happened before that, but I wouldn't put it past Harden to be in the game, but then to run down and sit on the bench waiting for this opportunity. 

If that is the case, then it shouldn't be illegal.  Because usually it would result in a massive failure since your team is playing 4 on 5.

57 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I didn't see what happened before that, but I wouldn't put it past Harden to be in the game, but then to run down and sit on the bench waiting for this opportunity. 

If that is the case, then it shouldn't be illegal.  Because usually it would result in a massive failure since your team is playing 4 on 5.

I didn't see the game either, but from what I gather, Denver called a timeout.  After the timeout, Philly went to the floor with 4 players; Harden forget he was supposed to be on the floor.

Mid-play, he realizes Embiid is guarding his guy, so he gets up off the bench.  Hilarity ensues.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Damn.  Steph turns 35 next month and is as good as he ever was.  Usually guards fall off in their 30's but damn.

it's a whole new era. guys are going to play to 35+ a helluva lot more than they used to. MJ, Magic, and Jordan grew up playing basketball seasonally, and had teammates who were smoking cigs in the locker room postgame. today's player has been a full time professional since he was somewhere between 8-10 years old, and has access to what is essentially alien technology when it comes to maintaining one's body and physical health. the game is also much less physical. so as amazing as these things seem, it's the new norm. 

16 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I didn't see the game either, but from what I gather, Denver called a timeout.  After the timeout, Philly went to the floor with 4 players; Harden forget he was supposed to be on the floor.

Mid-play, he realizes Embiid is guarding his guy, so he gets up off the bench.  Hilarity ensues.

According to my guys on The rights to Ricky Sanchez, the best 76ers pod out there, it was a heady play by Harden- he was in before the TO and the other guy hadn’t subbed in and this wasn’t eligible so when he saw it he jumped out there and played. Didn’t watch the game. No idea if this tracks- that was their take. I assume they got the story right.