NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That would be interesting. You’d think those picks would suck but if they are kicked far enough out to a time Ja is either gone from Memphis or dead maybe one ends up super good. 

And right now the Raptors are a mess.  OG is only signed for one more year and both FVV and Trent Jr will be declining their player options for next season.  They need a reset badly and rebuild around Barnes.

31 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

And right now the Raptors are a mess.  OG is only signed for one more year and both FVV and Trent Jr will be declining their player options for next season.  They need a reset badly and rebuild around Barnes.

Sure. It’s an interesting proposal. There’s good reason for both teams to be able to talk themselves into it. There’s also big risks both ways. 

4 hours ago, Message Board User said:

If Memphis offers 3 unprotected first for OG, who says no?

The Raptors drive a hard bargain, so I would guess they say No, despite that being an overpay, because they are greedy. OG has a player option next year, so trading for him is a half year rental, then he's going to get 20-25m per year from some treadmill team this off-season. 3 FRPs for a rental like that is insane, plus he's just a defensive wing and not much more. 4th option on a championship team? maybe, but that's not worth 3 FRPs. 

Toronto seems to produce some good players, but they can't ever get it together for a championship run, except that 1 Kawhi year.  Siakam is really good, but not a guy that will lead a team to a ring. They are going to be stuck maxing him out and looking for someone to complement him, but won't likely find that player and continue to be a 5-9 team in the East. They need to trade what they can and acquire more assets until they can make another Kawhi type trade to get that superstar. 

13 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

jokic with the casual 7 assists in the 3Q. also, christian braun has been a surprisingly good pro. he really adds to that denver team, and is the reason they're looking to move bones hyland. i did not see that one coming.

Saw recently on an analysis vid that Bones is one of the worst defenders in the NBA. Like in the bottom 2. 

my five favorite teams to watch this season:

1.Kings

2.Nuggets

3.Jazz

4.Grizzlies

5.Lakers

LAL is in there because LeBron is a freak with no help whenever AD is out (so, most of the time) so he has to put up 40/10/10 every night, and it's somehow always a close game. those other teams are just fun as hell to watch. western conference playoffs are going to be bananas if the teams can stay reasonably healthy.

Edited by shadow_operative

12 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Naz Reid

Every time I watch Minnesota, which admittedly isn't that often, I come away thinking they are better off playing him rather than Gobert or KAT.  Guy is a total energizer / hustle player on both ends and is at least a good enough shooter to keep you honest from three. He's a really good fit next to Edwards. 

24 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Yea. People made a big deal when Kobe passed Mike, but apparently a dude who's taking over a scoring record that's been in place for almost 40 years is nbd.

5 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

These things happen when the fans of your own team like the guy you're gonna pass better.

I’m in the Camp of Wilt as far as greatest of all time but, this is a pretty big deal. He’s going to take fewer games than Kareem to get the record. His floor % is not as good but, different type of player, etc. it’s a big deal.

1 hour ago, Herpa Derpa said:

These things happen when the fans of your own team like the guy you're gonna pass better.

Wack basketball fans nowadays.  You shouldn't need to be a fan of LBJ to truly appreciate him passing Kareem.   That was one of the most unbreakable records out there and he will not only pass it but barring a major injury, obliterate it.    He will finish 2-3k beyond Kareem maybe more as he isnt even really slowing down yet.

20 minutes ago, d2o said:

Wack basketball fans nowadays.  You shouldn't need to be a fan of LBJ to truly appreciate him passing Kareem.   That was one of the most unbreakable records out there and he will not only pass it but barring a major injury, obliterate it.    He will finish 2-3k beyond Kareem maybe more as he isnt even really slowing down yet.

He also doesn’t have to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court every night.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

espn has been making a big deal out of LBJ passing Kareem for a while, dedicating a lot of coverage to it daily. you guys just don't watch espn, not that i blame you. 

ESPN is just pure cringe now. I enjoy First Things First on Fox, and yes i know Nick Wright is annoying but also entertaining. My fav is probably Wildes though.

5 hours ago, d2o said:

Man it’s not even close to one of the most unbreakable records imo. Malone almost did it. With guys entering the nba at 18 and medicine allowing them to play longer it was almost inevitable. That’s not to diminish Lebron doing it- it’s a really big deal. When I hear unbreakable record I thin somebody like Cy Young winning 511 games because baseball has changed in such a way that breaking that record is harder (impossible really) not easier.

I think almost all the NFL and NBA records of note will get broken (73-9 gonna be tough if rest continues to be a thing) but we ought to honor the old record holder and the new because, like you said, it’s a big deal. 

Lebron’s never been a real Laker.  He’s a rent-a-superstar.  If I were a Laker fan (I’m not), I’m not sure he would make my top 10 of all-time favorite Lakers.  He has the absolute right to live his life the way he wants to live it, but I reserve the right to not like him because of the way he goes about it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Either Dillon Brooks is a dirty player.  Or his natural motion when he falls on the ground is to swing his arm to hit the nearest player in the nuts.  One of those two.

He’s a pos. Probably on the level of wade and cp3. Drays a pos too but he’s also the villain the nba needed badly.

Dillons just a loser who sucks but thinks he’s good

Nuggets game was not nationally televised. Started at 7pm Mountain. Clippers- Bucks is on TNT.

Right… But you’d think TNT would see warriors nuggets as more marketable and also makes more sense to put that game as the second game, and move clippers bucks up to the first game, especially since it’s a central time zone team
  • Like 1

Good on Mitchell for not shying away from calling Brooks out in the post-game interview. That was seriously uncalled for, 100% intentional, and 100% bullshit that should result in a suspension for Brooks.

And I really want to like Ja, but him crying that the NBA hates the Grizzlies for some reason is such nonsense. This kind of shit follows the Grizzlies because of Brooks and the shit he starts, not because the league is out to get them. Just play ball and shut TF up.

Edited by SilasCoade
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Man it’s not even close to one of the most unbreakable records imo. Malone almost did it. With guys entering the nba at 18 and medicine allowing them to play longer it was almost inevitable. That’s not to diminish Lebron doing it- it’s a really big deal. When I hear unbreakable record I thin somebody like Cy Young winning 511 games because baseball has changed in such a way that breaking that record is harder (impossible really) not easier.

I think almost all the NFL and NBA records of note will get broken (73-9 gonna be tough if rest continues to be a thing) but we ought to honor the old record holder and the new because, like you said, it’s a big deal. 

Malone is about 1500 pts behind.   That is one full 82 gm season at 18+/ppg.   He avg'd 13 in his last season but even then only played 42 gms.    And even if you want to say Malone "almost" did it, he is one guy in the history of the league.   Kobe is next but he is almost 5k behind Kareem.   None of the other guys who "got close" were still top players in the league when they did.   LBJ is still at the absolute worse top 10 player and still going strong.  He should with relative ease get to 40k

Further, if its just cause of guys entering the league at 18 with current medicine and training why is no one else even close? Melo and Durant are the only other active players in the top 30.  they are 10k and 12k behind LBJ respectively.   There is a reason this record lasted for almost 40 yrs.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Right… But you’d think TNT would see warriors nuggets as more marketable and also makes more sense to put that game as the second game, and move clippers bucks up to the first game, especially since it’s a central time zone team

Maybe, but I'm sure the first game was an eastern time zone game.

51 minutes ago, d2o said:

Malone is about 1500 pts behind.   That is one full 82 gm season at 18+/ppg.   He avg'd 13 in his last season but even then only played 42 gms.    And even if you want to say Malone "almost" did it, he is one guy in the history of the league.   Kobe is next but he is almost 5k behind Kareem.   None of the other guys who "got close" were still top players in the league when they did.   LBJ is still at the absolute worse top 10 player and still going strong.  He should with relative ease get to 40k

Further, if its just cause of guys entering the league at 18 with current medicine and training why is no one else even close? Melo and Durant are the only other active players in the top 30.  they are 10k and 12k behind LBJ respectively.   There is a reason this record lasted for almost 40 yrs.

Also.....Kareem played 4 years at UCLA and then played 20 years in the NBA. He was before all the modern medicine stuff. He broke the record when Wilt had it and then played another 5 years. Lost in all the "Lebron or MJ" convos is the fact that KAJ has a real case for being the greatest ever.

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Also.....Kareem played 4 years at UCLA and then played 20 years in the NBA. He was before all the modern medicine stuff. He broke the record when Wilt had it and then played another 5 years. Lost in all the "Lebron or MJ" convos is the fact that KAJ has a real case for being the greatest ever.

Correct!!!   There are 4 people that have a claim to GOAT IMO.   I can listen to arguments for any of them.   Magic, Cap, MJ, LBJ.   Anyone I'm really not trying to hear.

• Hook 'Em 1