NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

59 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

KD, Kawhi and Simmons would be a stout 2-3-4. If it was a straight swap, I would do that if I'm the Nets. Hell even PG may be worth it, just so they get something out of Kyries contract.  

And not a leader on that team. Probably better off trading  KD and starting over. 

47 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

This is just amazing to watch with the Flat Earth King. The Nets are getting exactly what THEY DESERVE for letting him come back. 

The Nets aren't willing to give him a 4 year max, so he's requested a trade. That's not their fault, and I don't blame Kyrie either. his best shot at max money is to be traded to someone willing to sign him to it. Teams with space in free agency won't be looking to sign him for 50m a year, nor do they have the space. 

5 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

That's not their fault, and I don't blame Kyrie either. his best shot at max money is to be traded to someone willing to sign him to it.

I'd argue that his best shot for a max or near max is to play an entire season, without being a distraction, and win a couple of playoff series. Shit, if the Nets lose in 7 in the ECF, maybe the Nets even max him out.

Any team willing to give up valuable pieces and sign him for the max today is probably a garbage organization (which is exactly why they couldn't find a trade partner for him in the offseason).

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

I'd argue that his best shot for a max or near max is to play an entire season, without being a distraction, and win a couple of playoff series. Shit, if the Nets lose in 7 in the ECF, maybe the Nets even max him out.

That’s the irony, right? His not being a max player has nothing to do with his actual basketball playing. He’s not a max player because he’s an ignorant cancerous piece of crap who has blown up every team he’s ever played on. It wasn’t but a few weeks ago that people were speculating that he’d never play in the nba again. And now he’s making trade demands for the sole purpose of getting his bird rights transferred to the next sucker who is dumb enough to sign up for it. Good fucking luck. I hope the nets laughed in his face when he made the demand. Let him go test free agency this summer. It’s going to work out for him just as well as it did last summer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Kyrie is legitimately one of the dumbest motherfuckers to ever exist.
How? He gets exactly what he wants every time. Sounds smart to me. He doesn't want to play with KD anymore. Don't blame him at all. KD is the one who's dumb. He gave up Golden State to try and put his own team together and it's netted one single playoff series win this entire time. A huge disaster.

16 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

I think the frustrating thing is that he's not actually dumb. He just willfully chooses to embrace the stupidest things.  He's dumb like Stockton, not dumb like Malone.

Mama always said stupid is as stupid does.

7 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
3 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

How? He gets exactly what he wants every time. Sounds smart to me. He doesn't want to play with KD anymore. Don't blame him at all. KD is the one who's dumb. He gave up Golden State to try and put his own team together and it's netted one single playoff series win this entire time. A huge disaster.

Do you actually believe anyone will put up with him anymore? I don't. I see literally no upside to ever giving this dude anything more than a one year deal, with stipulations about not missing games for dumbass reasons. He makes the whole league look bad.

Edited by Pam Cummings

27 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
3 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

It must be refreshing to live in a world completely free of logic and facts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Kyrie has eventually destroyed every team he's ever been on in the NBA. If KD was stupid about anything it was teaming up with him. Harden left because of Kyrie.

Yep. If KD deserves blame (and he does), it's for hitching his wagon to this idiot. Kyrie wanted a max extension from the Nets in the off-season. Them not giving it to him until he proved his worth and availability over a full season was why he requested a trade the first time around. KD's trade request was, in part, a retaliation for the Nets not hooking up his friend. Shit, there were rumors that these two were trying to get traded to the same team. For better or worse, they've been tied at the hip since before they even got to Brooklyn. Kyrie wanting to leave is because he's Kyrie and wants to get paid, and nothing else.

4 hours ago, SilasCoade said:

I think the frustrating thing is that he's not actually dumb. He just willfully chooses to embrace the stupidest things.  He's dumb like Stockton, not dumb like Malone.

Lulz. What evidence is there that the dude is intelligent? That stupid motherfucker thought the earth might be flat. Fortunately, I dont actually know anyone irl that actually believes that, but every single person online that espouses that belief is dumb as shit. Kyrie is no exception.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/3/2023 at 11:41 AM, d2o said:

Malone is about 1500 pts behind.   That is one full 82 gm season at 18+/ppg.   He avg'd 13 in his last season but even then only played 42 gms.    And even if you want to say Malone "almost" did it, he is one guy in the history of the league.   Kobe is next but he is almost 5k behind Kareem.   None of the other guys who "got close" were still top players in the league when they did.   LBJ is still at the absolute worse top 10 player and still going strong.  He should with relative ease get to 40k

Further, if its just cause of guys entering the league at 18 with current medicine and training why is no one else even close? Melo and Durant are the only other active players in the top 30.  they are 10k and 12k behind LBJ respectively.   There is a reason this record lasted for almost 40 yrs.

KD is only 33/34?  If he plays as long as Lebron he should be right around where Kareem finished.  
If Luka stays healthy he’s going to make a run for it. 
Look at it this way. Karl Malone got within 96% of Kareem. Kobe got within 90%.  Nobody has gotten closer than 70% of the way to CY Young in 50 years. That’s an unbreakable record.  I’d expect 3 or 4 more players in my lifetime to pass Kareem. I’m a man, I’m 40 (44) 

17 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

I don't blame Kyrie either. his best shot at max money is to be traded to someone willing to sign him to it. 

His best shot at getting a max contract is, and I’m just speculating here, is to not be a Jewish hating, anti-vax supporting, clownshow of a human being that also plays when he feels like it. That would be the most brief synopsis I can give of a way a team might have felt okay with handing him more money. Instead the Flat Earth King has sabotaged his career all on his own. He and his insane aunt can get bent.

• Hook 'Em 4

Proposed trade:

Nets send Kyrie to PHX and get CP3 and Crowder in return. Salaries match and both teams address needs. PHX needs more scoring punch when Booker is out and getting a little younger extends their window with Booker as a focal point. Nets get a playmaker who matches KD's timeline and a 3 and D guy who is hopefully tanned rested and ready. Both get rid of malcontent locker room cancers.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/3/2023 at 1:01 PM, d2o said:

Correct!!!   There are 4 people that have a claim to GOAT IMO.   I can listen to arguments for any of them.   Magic, Cap, MJ, LBJ.   Anyone I'm really not trying to hear.

Does Russell just not count because he’s too old?

I mean, I’m not going to say that’s the wrong answer but I’m not sure I agree.  I’m fine with hearing the case for Magic. He strikes me as not a long enough career for GOAT and I don’t know that there’s any apex of his career that’s better than MJ.  

17 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Any team willing to give up valuable pieces and sign him for the max today is probably a garbage organization (which is exactly why they couldn't find a trade partner for him in the offseason).

Yep. If he’d have kept his nose clean all year and they got to the conference finals you could make a really good argument that a team like the Rockets.  should sign him. 
then you’d have Kyrie, a green, Smith, whatever top 5 pick they get this year and Sengun as a starting 5. That’s a pretty talented team that could win a title in year 4 of a Kyrie contract if he could keep it between the lines and the Rockets get lucky in the lotto and develop Green and Smith. He can’t do it though. And he will pay. I can’t imagine anyone giving him anything other than a make good deal this off-season. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

30 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Lulz. What evidence is there that the dude is intelligent? That stupid motherfucker thought the earth might be flat. Fortunately, I dont actually know anyone irl that actually believes that, but every single person online that espouses that belief is dumb as shit. Kyrie is no exception.  

You're not going to bait me into defending the guy.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Does Russell just not count because he’s too old?

I mean, I’m not going to say that’s the wrong answer but I’m not sure I agree.  I’m fine with hearing the case for Magic. He strikes me as not a long enough career for GOAT and I don’t know that there’s any apex of his career that’s better than MJ.  

I never saw Russell play but more importantly there are quite a few warts on his resume to rule him out IMO.   Granted the game was totally different and the off court things were out of his control but that doesnt change my POV.

Magic's career was cut short but even in his 12 yrs he went to finals 9 times winning 5 and was the driving force behind the Laker success.   That last season he dragged an awful team to the Finals.   Go look at that roster.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yep. If he’d have kept his nose clean all year and they got to the conference finals you could make a really good argument that a team like the Rockets.  should sign him. 
then you’d have Kyrie, a green, Smith, whatever top 5 pick they get this year and Sengun as a starting 5. That’s a pretty talented team that could win a title in year 4 of a Kyrie contract if he could keep it between the lines and the Rockets get lucky in the lotto and develop Green and Smith. He can’t do it though. And he will pay. I can’t imagine anyone giving him anything other than a make good deal this off-season. 

When has a Kyrie led team done anything except win the lottery?   You seriously think it would be a good idea for him to be the leader in a locker room of all those kids?!?!?!  

2 minutes ago, d2o said:

When has a Kyrie led team done anything except win the lottery?   You seriously think it would be a good idea for him to be the leader in a locker room of all those kids?!?!?!  

The only time he's been effective he needed Lebron holding his hand. And i'm thinking Lebron may be a little too old for that babysitting job at this point. But it's the only situation where i've seen him be what anyone could consider a net-plus.

5 minutes ago, d2o said:

No. That’s why I said he can’t do it. I’m talking about an alternate scenario where he was a model teammate and citizen this year and sold the “I’ve grown up- I’m not a problem anymore.”  That obviously not him. 

30 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

KD is only 33/34?  If he plays as long as Lebron he should be right around where Kareem finished.  
If Luka stays healthy he’s going to make a run for it. 
Look at it this way. Karl Malone got within 96% of Kareem. Kobe got within 90%.  Nobody has gotten closer than 70% of the way to CY Young in 50 years. That’s an unbreakable record.  I’d expect 3 or 4 more players in my lifetime to pass Kareem. I’m a man, I’m 40 (44) 

KD is not playing another 7 yrs.   He is breaking down physically.

Luka has 8500 pts in his 5 yrs currently.   He would need to play at his current level for 15 more yrs and that would still only be about 34k.   He is already missing about 10-15 gms a yr.   I'm pretty confident he wont end up anywhere close to Cap.    I think you are really underestimating what it takes to get to 38k and beyond.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Blotto said:

There is none. There is less than that if it is possible. He is a deranged human being with the intelligence level I would attribute to a sand gnat. That Durant has hitched himself to this guy does not speak well to how bright his bulb is either.

19 minutes ago, d2o said:

KD is not playing another 7 yrs.   He is breaking down physically.

Luka has 8500 pts in his 5 yrs currently.   He would need to play at his current level for 15 more yrs and that would still only be about 34k.   He is already missing about 10-15 gms a yr.   I'm pretty confident he wont end up anywhere close to Cap.    I think you are really underestimating what it takes to get to 38k and beyond.

I will change my mind if the league goes down to 72 games or something like that. But if it stays at 82 I think cap is 5 on the all time list when I die if I make it another 45 years. That’s not diminishing 38k at all.  That’s just saying the trend is to make things easier for offense and for guys to have longer and longer careers.  

if the freak plays til he’s 40 he needs 1800 a year to get there. 
Tatum if he plays until 38 needs 2000 a year. 
if KD plays at his current level he needs another 400-430 games to get there. His days of playing 70’a year seem like he’s done so he’d almost have to play until he’s 42. Is that possible?  Probably not for him. Maybe for someone like him with that skill set. 
Luka already has 8500. He’s only 23. It’s a tough tough mountain. If he doesn’t lose an entire year or year and a half somewhere I think he can get there. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I will change my mind if the league goes down to 72 games or something like that. But if it stays at 82 I think cap is 5 on the all time list when I die if I make it another 45 years. That’s not diminishing 38k at all.  That’s just saying the trend is to make things easier for offense and for guys to have longer and longer careers.  

LOL, it absolutely is diminishing 38k.  Bron has played 20 yrs and has been a top 5-10 scorer pretty much every yr and he is just getting there.   And he had the benefit of the 3p shot 

1 minute ago, d2o said:

LOL, it absolutely is diminishing 38k.  Bron has played 20 yrs and has been a top 5-10 scorer pretty much every yr and he is just getting there.   And he had the benefit of the 3p shot 

Sure. And offense is getting easier. And guys are playing longer. That’s just context man. If Mj didn’t play in the rock fight environment of the 90’s or take time off for baseball he probably makes it. My point isn’t diminishing Kareem. The point is merely if context makes it easier to get to a record (points, yards, Home runs shirng the steroid/juiced ball eta) it makes the record easier to get to. If context makes it harder to get to a record (wins for pitchers for example) it makes it less likely to fall. 

17 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Sure. And offense is getting easier. And guys are playing longer. That’s just context man. If Mj didn’t play in the rock fight environment of the 90’s or take time off for baseball he probably makes it. My point isn’t diminishing Kareem. The point is merely if context makes it easier to get to a record (points, yards, Home runs shirng the steroid/juiced ball eta) it makes the record easier to get to. If context makes it harder to get to a record (wins for pitchers for example) it makes it less likely to fall. 

LOL You got me crunching numbers now.   Luka could avg 35ppg for the next 10 yrs without missing a single game and still be 1k short of Cap

2 hours ago, d2o said:

LOL You got me crunching numbers now.   Luka could avg 35ppg for the next 10 yrs without missing a single game and still be 1k short of Cap

Your point stands, but let's be optimists and consider Luka will play several playoff games per year, so maybe 90 possible games. He'd ONLY need to average 33 for 10 years without missing a game in that scenario.

Edited by SilasCoade
\sarcasm