NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

I don't understand the logic of other NBA guys who seem to support Kyrie or be in his corner. His behavior is going to single handedly lead to a long lockout. The owners are going to want that type of shit to stop. He is absolutely affecting the ability of other players to earn money in the future.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I actually have not heard this. Do you have a link for more detail? 

The two companies are sniping again in the news. Saw a blurb about Rocket calling Ishbia a bully but it's behind a paywall. 

https://morningconsult.com/opinions/is-this-any-way-to-do-business-a-case-of-misogyny-and-bullying-in-the-mortgage-industry/

This is the sanitized version.  There was more at play the way I heard the story but I don't remember all of it.  Something similar in a personality conflict happened with Ishbia and Fairway Mortgage.  They got put on the Brawl list along with Quicken.  Ishbia isn't wrong to criticize their practices as harming brokers, but there are other "wholetail" lenders that do similar that he didn't put on the him or me list.  Those 2 were personal and this is the deal for why it got ugly with Quicken.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

LeBron and KD are good friends and respect the hell out of each other. There's probably more animosity between Steph and LeBron. Everyone in the NBA loves Kyrie. Who knows why. Durant teaming up with him isn't that weird - even though we all knew it was a bad idea. It would have been someone else if it wasn't KD. 

Someone like Luka?  I mean, he didn't pick him out of all the NBA stars out there to team up with but no way Dallas did this deal without his input.  Right?  And same story with Booker in Phoenix, and LBJ and the Nephew in LA for Lakers and Clips.

16 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I don't understand the logic of other NBA guys who seem to support Kyrie or be in his corner. His behavior is going to single handedly lead to a long lockout. The owners are going to want that type of shit to stop. He is absolutely affecting the ability of other players to earn money in the future.

Easier for him to start his player's own league if he tanks the NBA.

• Haha 2

Yeah, I think Lebron does it tonight at home vs the Thunder.  He needs 36 to tie Kareem, but if he doesn't get it tonight, the Lakers host the Bucks on Thursday night as well. He should get it one of those two games, but OKC is a likely win while the Bucks are going to be a loss.j

Such a crazy achievement to be in the league this long and still scoring 25+ a night. You gotta hand it to him, he is the Greatest Over A Long Time, GOALT if you will. 

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

Yeah, I think Lebron does it tonight at home vs the Thunder.  He needs 36 to tie Kareem, but if he doesn't get it tonight, the Lakers host the Bucks on Thursday night as well. He should get it one of those two games, but OKC is a likely win while the Bucks are going to be a loss.j

Such a crazy achievement to be in the league this long and still scoring 25+ a night. You gotta hand it to him, he is the Greatest Over A Long Time, GOALT if you will. 

In 20 years when all the Jordan nostalgia wears off it's going to be very hard to look at the careers of these 2 players and not say that Lebron was better. Jordan never had to go against teams like the 2014 Spurs or the KD Warriors. I think the KD Warriors are the greatest team ever. They would destroy pretty much any team in history.

• Hook 'Em 1

the 1996 Bulls are at least raul to if not greater than the KD Dubs. besides, it's impossible to compare MJ and LeBron as they played in totally different eras. if MJ played today he's average like 42/8/8 with 3 steals and a block per game, and he'd be jacking up threes left and right, to the point where LBJ would still be thousands of points behind him right now. just totally different eras. i will say this though: MJ was more dominant vs his era and more of a unicorn vs his era than lbj is today. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the 1996 Bulls are at least raul to if not greater than the KD Dubs. besides, it's impossible to compare MJ and LeBron as they played in totally different eras. if MJ played today he's average like 42/8/8 with 3 steals and a block per game, and he'd be jacking up threes left and right, to the point where LBJ would still be thousands of points behind him right now. just totally different eras. i will say this though: MJ was more dominant vs his era and more of a unicorn vs his era than lbj is today. 

The Warriors would shred the 96 Bulls imo. If you're playing by the rules of their era you can't zone and i don't even wanna try to think about solving the problem of guarding KD and Curry. The Warriors just have way too much shooting.

I'm not sure Rodman would be playable against the Warriors. He gives you nothing on offense. At least Draymond gives the Warriors some playmaking. And Jordan isnt guarding Curry. Chasing that dude around 6000 screens is gonna tire him out. And nobody is gonna guard KD 1on1. We haven't even mentioned Klay. So i'm just not sure how the Bulls would make that work.

Edited by Pam Cummings

5 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I'm not sure Rodman would be playable against the Warriors. He gives you nothing on offense. At least Draymond gives the Warriors some playmaking. And Jordan isnt guarding Curry. Chasing that dude around 6000 screens is gonna tire him out. And nobody is gonna guard KD 1on1. We haven't even mentioned Klay. So i'm just not sure how the Bulls would make that work.

well first off, rodman can play any time, any era. he's that dominant at what he does. second, listen to what Byron Scott said in that video:

Harper on Steph

Scottie on KD

MJ on Klay

Rodman on Dray

the Dubs have never faced anything remotely close to that tough of a challenge. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

And those players never had to guard anyone remotely close to that good on offense. 

they played against michael jordan every day. and steph would not torch ron harper. it's not like they're out there playing a game of 1-on-1. it's team vs team. the Dubs still have to defend the Bulls; the Dubs are going to have to work harder than they ever have, and are going to get fatigued and work down; the Bulls are more physical than the Dubs are used to; and the Bulls going to defend as a team, and the Dubs have never ever ever seen anything like these Bulls and their collection of all time great defenders. the idea that Steph would just torch them for an entire series is laughable. 

If you aren't allowed to double team then you aren't going to stop Steph/KD one on one. And if you do try to double them then you're leaving their shooters open. And also if you are allowed to double team, then like i said, the Warriors are going to leave players like Rodman wide open and just double onto Jordan and Scottie, essentially making it 4on5. Also that Warriors team was a great defensive team as well. If they get running and gunning you have no chance. I think it would get out of hand quickly the moment either Jordan or Scottie has to take a blow.

Edited by Pam Cummings

7 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

If you aren't allowed to double team then you aren't going to stop Steph/KD one on one. And if you do try to double them then you're leaving their shooters open. And also if you are allowed to double team, then like i said, the Warriors are going to leave players like Rodman wide open and just double onto Jordan and Scottie, essentially making it 4on5. Also that Warriors team was a great defensive team as well. If they get running and gunning you have no chance. I think it would get out of hand quickly the moment either Jordan or Scottie has to take a blow.

Rodman would get 20 offensive rebounds per game, maybe more, if you ignored him.

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Rodman would get 20 offensive rebounds per game, maybe more, if you ignored him.

If you're the Warriors the gameplan is force the ball out of Mike's hands and make literally anyone else beat you. If you're the Bulls the gameplan is to force the ball out of KD's hands into Steph's? Vice versa? How is this going to work? How are the Bulls going to keep this close when they have multiple rotational players that wouldn't be usable in the modern game?

17 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Both would be in the blue injury tent after entering the lane. 

Hand checking and physical play would effect Curry the most in that era IMO. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

The Warriors would shred the 96 Bulls imo. If you're playing by the rules of their era you can't zone and i don't even wanna try to think about solving the problem of guarding KD and Curry. The Warriors just have way too much shooting.

If they played by todays rules, Jordan would score 60 on them every night and their entire team would be on the bench with fouls.

if they played by the 90’a rules, the Warriors would be in the ER.

7 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Both would be in the blue injury tent after entering the lane. 

Hand checking and physical play would effect Curry the most in that era IMO. 

He wouldn’t make it through the season.  Jordan was a big as Draymond.

Do the Bulls get the benefit of analytics, or is Phil Jackson rolling out the (now) antiquated triangle, forcing touches to Bill Cartwright, etc? 

No definitive answer to this question, largely due to the time gap. Both teams are fucking incredible. If you dropped both teams in a gym playing their same game plan, I give Warriors an edge under either rule sets. But the Bulls have MJ, so who knows.

Edited by Reynolds Woodcock
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Do the Bulls get the benefit of analytics, or is Phil Jackson rolling out the (now) antiquated triangle, forcing touches to Bill Cartwright, etc? 

No definitive answer to this question, largely due to the time gap. Both teams are fucking incredible. If you dropped both teams in a gym playing their same game plan, I give Warriors an edge under either rule sets. But the Bulls have MJ, so who knows.

No but the Bulls have MJ who would back down Steph, dunk on him for the and 1 and hand him the rim.  Today, Steph would be in foul trouble.  Back then, he’s in the ER.

2 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

No but the Bulls have MJ who would back down Steph, dunk on him for the and 1 and hand him the rim.  Today, Steph would be in foul trouble.  Back then, he’s in the ER.

IDK man. Draymond KO'd his own teammate. If he knew he could get away with it he would certainly play a little dirtier. He is a dick kicker after all.

Edited by Pam Cummings

7 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Yes everyone remembers MJ famously backing down the shorter, skinnier John Stockton time and time again for the And 1, right? No, because that didn’t happen.

MJ would get his, Steph would get his, Durant would get his. That’s what happens when you are a Top 15 player of all time. But more often than not the Warriors’ are worth 3 and the Bulls’ are worth 2.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Who cares about hand checking. You weren't allowed to double team. If you were then the Jazz simply would have doubled Jordan and forced the ball elsewhere instead of leaving him on an island against Byron.

No double team does not mean only one player between the ball and the rim. The was no defensive 3 seconds (2021). No under the rim arc. Steph would be limited to an outside the paint player like everyone else his size at that time. You could basically have an NHL enforcer in the paint. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

Just now, ChickenSandwich said:

No double tram does not mean only one player between the ball and the rim. The was no defensive 3 seconds. No under the rim arc. Steph would be limited to an outside the paint player like everyone else bis size at that time. You could basically have an NHL enforcer in the paint. 

Yeah but that player has to guard his guy. Which for the Warriors would be a 3pt shooter to drag him out of the paint. He would not be allowed to just sit down there.

13 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Yeah but that player has to guard his guy. Which for the Warriors would be a 3pt shooter to drag him out of the paint. He would not be allowed to just sit down there.

And of those 3 pt shooters are different players when their defender is allowed to have is hand on his hip and the right to body him up. The space today was created with the rule changes in 04 (with the third try of outlawing the hand check/then forearm check). 

Solid video with some analytics

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Players today are just simply better and more skilled than players in the 90s. Just like players in the 90s were better and more skilled than players in the 60s. Not to mention more in shape. It's what is supposed to happen. 

I disagree. Players today are better athletes, but there is no way they shoot as well as players from the 90s, nor do players today play the same kind of individual defense that was played in the 90s.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

And of those 3 pt shooters are different players when their defender is allowed to have is hand on his hip and the right to body him up. The space today was created with the rule changes in 04 (with the third try of outlawing the hand check/then forearm check). 

Solid video with some analytics

Yeah but if that big man is out on the perimeter he isn't able to do his job as a rim protector. That's his only value. Now the paint is open for Curry, KD, et al to operate.

Aside from the analytics, there is the knowledge that if you went to the rim in the 90's, they'd plant your ass.

I enjoy the game today far more but but to say someone or some team who could score back then couldn't score now is ridiculous.  A good example is Karl Malone who was an unathletic and boring player but scored 30 ppg.  If he scored 30 ppg back when the game was glorified pro wrestling, he would dominate now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Yeah but if that big man is out on the perimeter he isn't able to do his job as a rim protector. That's his only value. Now the paint is open for Curry, KD, et al to operate.

You would think, but some how The Dream was able to block 3,830 shots during his career. They should have just drawn him to the three point line. 

2 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Yes everyone remembers MJ famously backing down the shorter, skinnier John Stockton time and time again for the And 1, right? No, because that didn’t happen.

MJ would get his, Steph would get his, Durant would get his. That’s what happens when you are a Top 15 player of all time. But more often than not the Warriors’ are worth 3 and the Bulls’ are worth 2.

ywrng.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=72881c7fc9363c6

It's like Kobe's last game, but instead of playing against mostly G league players to pad his stats, he's playing against a bunch of young NBA players who will probably end up winning due to the Lakers lack of efficiency from forcing the ball to Lebron. It's going to be funny when Lebron gets his 36 but loses the game by 10.

Edited by Dutchrudder