NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

Phoenix has a hell of a starting 5 on paper no matter who the 5th is... however, who the fuck is on their bench and how often can that starting 5 stay healthy enough to play together?  Warren's a solid offensive player when he's healthy.  That's a really old team to have little depth.  I'm guessing they're going to shop from the buyout players... I'm assuming they can only offer vet minimum, but maybe there's a few players who want to chase a ring. 

I wonder if my Celtics are going to stand pat.  They need a big and a wing to spell Tatum pretty bad.  The Celtics have the best record, but I'm not sure they're on pace to break 60 wins.  They are not a dominant team. They need to add some pieces.  I think they've got a couple trade exceptions and I think they got a small exception for the Gallinari injury. 

9 minutes ago, RabidM said:

I wonder if my Celtics are going to stand pat.  They need a big and a wing to spell Tatum pretty bad.  The Celtics have the best record, but I'm not sure they're on pace to break 60 wins.  They are not a dominant team. They need to add some pieces.  I think they've got a couple trade exceptions and I think they got a small exception for the Gallinari injury. 

We've actually been gathering in support groups on a weekly basis to weep in solitude for the Boston Celtics. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, speed817 said:

Simmons starring in The Last Of Us

Yeah, but as one of the zombies. 

Good for the nets in ripping off the bandaid. The big winner in all of this is probably Houston. Say what you will about Kyrie imploding that franchise, but the Harden deal was the real killer. 

And Phoenix putting all its chips into the table while the new owner has been there for all of 5 minutes is something too. CP is old and looks washed. KD isn’t without a history of injuries himself. Ayton isn’t worth his contract, they gave up good young wings, and then dumped all their future picks. They don’t have a lot of moves going forward and that bench looks thin. Championship or bust. I’m probably betting on bust. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Trades... Trades... Trades

NBA has to find a way to be more relevant again.  The flag football Pro Bowl with the Manning's coaching, drew 6 times the ratings of the Golden State game that was held a day earlier.

NBA ratings this season are really down... TV Sponsors so far this year are really frustrated.

Trades... Trades... Trades    The NBA had to find ways to become more relevant again -- the social justice and political messages stuff has turned a lot of folks off. 

• Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

NBA has to find a way to be more relevant again.  The flag football Pro Bowl with the Manning's coaching, drew 6 times the ratings of the Golden State game that was held a day earlier.

NBA ratings this season are really down... TV Sponsors so far this year are really frustrated.

Trades... Trades... Trades    The NBA had to find ways to become more relevant again -- the social justice and political messages stuff has turned a lot of folks off. 

The fuck are you talking about? They just had the highest rated game on cable in years at midnight on the east coast. The nfl is always going to draw more even during the draft or whatever. There’s 10x tv inventory for the nba. They are about to sign a massive tv deal. They kill every other league in social media engagement. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

I just emailed Mat Ishbia to congratulate him on being a big dick player. Previously he has personally responded to and been conversant with all correspondence coming from my broker channel (we are his number 1 broker partner)- and claimed in his Q and A with us Friday in Detroit that will still be the case, but I sort of think that might be by the wayside now that he owns this shiny new toy. He’s generally pretty frank on correspondence with us about mortgage stuff, curious to see if that will carry over to NBA stuff. I sort of doubt it. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The fuck are you talking about? They just had the highest rated game on cable in years at midnight on the east coast. The nfl is always going to draw more even during the draft or whatever. There’s 10x tv inventory for the nba. They are about to sign a massive tv deal. They kill every other league in social media engagement. 

Dude's an idiot. As if the NBA is the only league that has political messages or promotes social justice 🙄

Pretty wild that after all that tough talk by the Nets they trade KD to where he wanted to go for basically 3 role players none of which look like they have the potential to take the next step to even stardom.   The Nets just threw away 4 yrs and the nice roster they managed to build before KD/Kyrie got there.   They got a lot of press over the yrs but that is really it.

43 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Gotta ignore the clown.   His agenda is clear.   The league is healthy as ever.

24 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I just emailed Mat Ishbia to congratulate him on being a big dick player. Previously he has personally responded to and been conversant with all correspondence coming from my broker channel (we are his number 1 broker partner)- and claimed in his Q and A with us Friday in Detroit that will still be the case, but I sort of think that might be by the wayside now that he owns this shiny new toy. He’s generally pretty frank on correspondence with us about mortgage stuff, curious to see if that will carry over to NBA stuff. I sort of doubt it. 

This has got to be the first Surly user to NBA owner connection we’ve had here. Ask him if he’ll fund a plane ride to Cleveland for us to shit on Dan Gilbert’s lawn. Make sure the request is in comic sans.

• Haha 8

2 minutes ago, Kermit said:

This has got to be the first Surly user to NBA owner connection we’ve had here. Ask him if he’ll fund a plane ride to Cleveland for us to shit on Dan Gilbert’s lawn. Make sure the request is in comic sans.

Ha. I ended the email with best wishes that KD wins you a title and you get to cram the trophy up  Dan’s Ass. I feel like that makes him more likely to respond. I missed out on a golden opportunity when I didn’t write that paragraph in Comic Sans for sure. 
He flew me (and 50 others) up to Detroit for free for the seminar, I feel like he might be willing to fund a group of us to shit on Gilbert’s lawn. Truthfully, he probably already has some guys on retainer who do that on the regular. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Also- are we sure our crazy tailored Texan jersey wearing Houston fan on here has never given Tilman a blowie?  I would sort of bet that he has. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

My actual email to him after talking about the mortgage stuff I leaned and thanking him for the free trip:

Enough of that nonsense though- the main reason I am emailing you is I’m a Texas Ex and wanted to tell you congrats on the KD move. That was a baller, big dick player move and I’m pretty sure he’s going to win you at least one title and you can then cram that trophy up Dan’s ass and laugh at his abstention on your ownership vote. He’s a freaking treasure of a basketball player and a better dude than he’s getting credit for. Congrats. I’m happy to be officially on the same team as him again and you’ve just earned another Suns fan

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I guess I’m higher on Bridges than everyone else. I think he’s a fantastic young two way player who is coming into his own. I’m interested to see what he can do with higher usage. I can’t imagine he’s getting moved unless it’s for a bounty of picks. The others? Make your best offer. 

And speaking of best offers, the twolves gave up about the same thing for Rudy fucking Gobert as the Suns did for kd. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

https://defector.com/there-go-the-nets

Once upon a time, Joe Tsai loved basketball so much that he decided to obtain a sizable and splashy chunk of it. On successive days in 2019, he obtained the services of first Kyrie Irving and then Kevin Durant as part of a plan to make the Brooklyn Nets the biggest team in New York. It seemed like a glorious idea, given that he was in the final stages of winning total operational control of the team and its arena from Russian Mikhail Prokhorov, and the best way to be loved by sports fans is to buy them things can enjoy and learn to cherish.

Thirteen-hundred thirteen days later, he has found that the only thing that beats that initial burst of acquisition is rage-fueled divestiture, which he completed last night by sending Durant and the quietly useful T.J. Warren to the Phoenix Suns, two days after trading Irving to Dallas and being called petty by Draymond Green for doing so. The grandly combustible Brooklyn Project (h/t Manhattan Project) is over, and it has been by any standard the most symmetrically grandiose failure in the history of roster construction.

In any sport.

Ever.

Durant goes to the Suns and their hours-old franchise operator, Mat Ishbia, for a package of players and draft picks that include Not Devin Booker, Not Chris Paul and Not DeAndre Ayton. Yeah, that's how pissed Tsai was about his 43-month dalliance with genius, petulance and madness—he declined commensurate value for Durant because he had been where Ishbia is today, infatuated with his new company and the joy of notice-me acquisitivess.

Spoiler

And we say symmetrical because Tsai dealt for the Irving's services and then Durant's on successive days back in July 2019, but needed an extra day after Irving's exile on Monday to excise Durant. His decisions and their implementations were made easier by the fact that he didn't send both the mercurial Durant and the Neptunian Irving to the same team. Only one monumental idiot would do something that momentarily exhiliarating and eventually daft, and Tsai couldn't very well trade them to himself.

So he found Mark Cuban, frustrated by the reality that Luka Doncic alone would age out poorly even though he is only 23, and then he found Ishbia, whose first act after touring the Suns merchandise store was to change its inventory. Ishbia had just been approved as the Suns' new owner on Tuesday replacing the aggressively unpleasant wind chime Bob Sarver, with the approval of every owner except Cleveland's Dan Gilbert, who is a business rival. So Ishbia decided to make friends by doing Gilbert the solid of helping gut the team next to the Cavaliers in the Eastern Conference standings. One tentacle washes the other, after all.

And while we are loath to declare the Irving or Durant trades potential steals for the Mavericks or Suns because we'd be using the same hyperbolic phrases we all used four years when they both went to Brooklyn, we definitely know what the trades mean for the Nets, because it's going to take a long time for them to overcome the angry self-pitying of their owner.

That is, unless Tsai decides instead to ignore the Nets entirely as punishment for the migraines they caused him, and instead lavish his attention upon his New York Liberty, which just performed the equivalent of the Irving-Durant deals of four years ago with Breanna Stewart and Courtney Vandersloot. Those two deals, which are designed to upset the world order of the WNBA the way Irving and Durant were supposed to do with the gentlemen's league, show that Tsai isn't opposed to owning super teams as a concept. He is betting that neither Stewart nor Vandersloot can even approach an erg of the frustrations Irving and to a significantly lesser extent Durant bestowed upon him, a feat as yet unimaginable by anyone without a background in science fiction writing.

As basketball matters, bringing Irving to Dallas is a gamble Cuban took because he saw no happy resolution to a team with Doncic and ancillary parts that didn't end in early playoff outs, even though they miraculously reached the Western Conference final a year ago when Phoenix blew itself up in part over Ayton's addiction to video games.

In Phoenix, Ishbia is getting the more basketball-driven Durant and his battered 35-year-old body as a roll-the-dice-now move to get the Suns the parade they thought they'd earned last season, and keeping their three most impactful players while undercutting the supporting players and their drafts until the end of the decade is just the price of dabbling in the instant gratification game.

Barring Brooklynesque catastrophies in both cities, the Mavs and Suns have helped unclog the bloated middle of the conference as part of a tsunami of moves that have made this the most spectacular trade deadline since, well, err, uhh ... yeah. Since then.

Minnesota took on the aging superstructure of Mike Conley and decoupled from D'Angelo Russell as part of a three-team deal that made the Los Angeles Lakers better both by addition and subtraction. Utah acquired Russell Westbrook so they could unacquire him. Los Angeles got Russell, moved Westbrook, and acquired Jarred Vanderbilt as a bonus prize for shopping. Sacramento tweaked its beamage with two-year-old Kessler Edwards, who is also escaping the wreckage of the USS Net. Portland just shipped Josh Hart to New York in a trade that, well, happened is probably the most effusive verb we can attach here. And there could still be more by the 3:00 p.m. (ET) deadline, because Golden State owner Joe Lacob probably thinks he can get Giannis Antetokounmpo for James Wiseman.
All these moves essentially eradicated LeBron James's big night from the headlines, which is its own blessing given that nobody could offer any insight more thought-provoking than "He's amazing," which I think everyone has known going back to the days of Aristotle and Seneca. But they also proved more than ever that the NBA is actually at its best not when it plays games but in the spaces between them, when the real national pastimes of money roasts and Roster Scattergories are at their height.

Mostly, though, this is a story of owners. For Ishbia, it is in the cry for immediate action that handing over billions to a bastard cannot sufficiently fulfill. For Cuban, it is in addressing the annoyance of competitive stasis around a brilliant young player with the eternal threat of turbo-instability. And for Tsai, it is in the knowledge that the definition of insanity has his picture in the inset, and that it took him 43 months to see it. He will never ever EVER invest hundreds of millions trying to build a super team again under any circumstances.

Except for the Liberty. In fairness to Joe, quitting cold turkey is hard.

• Hook 'Em 1

I guess I’m higher on Bridges than everyone else. I think he’s a fantastic young two way player who is coming into his own. I’m interested to see what he can do with higher usage. I can’t imagine he’s getting moved unless it’s for a bounty of picks. The others? Make your best offer. 
And speaking of best offers, the twolves gave up about the same thing for Rudy fucking Gobert as the Suns did for kd. 

At least Rudy, you know, is pretty durable. KD is anything but that since his Achilles injury. That said the west doesn’t need another superstar already in the clusterfuck of teams jockeying for playoff spots
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

At least Rudy, you know, is pretty durable. KD is anything but that since his Achilles injury. That said the west doesn’t need another superstar already in the clusterfuck of teams jockeying for playoff spots

The fact that you are trying to make any justification for the Gobert trade by dragging the KD trade is awesome and amazing.

The fact that you are trying to make any justification for the Gobert trade by dragging the KD trade is awesome and amazing.

I did? I touched the Rudy trade has been a huge disappointment a few weeks ago.

KD is by far the better player. But his last 3 years he’s been injured, he’s also logged many more seasons, games, minutes than Rudy while being 4 years older.

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

KD is by far the better player. But his last 3 years he’s been injured, he’s also logged many more seasons, games, minutes than Rudy while being 4 years older.

Yeah.  And he gives you a decent chance at winning a title and Rudy gives you no chance at winning a title.  That's the whole point of trading away that many assets- to give you someone that could make it happen. KD is that. Gobert is not that. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I do not watch a ton of Suns games, but Bridges is fun to watch. It’ll be cool to see how he develops if given the chance to do so with the Nets. I actually think I will go watch a Nets game now that the circus has left town. 

Minny gonna Minny. Good luck to them in their dogged pursuit of the play-in tournament.

4 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

It's a huge disappointment in the same sense that taking a huge bite of a shit sandwich would be. Of course it's going to taste like shit, why would you have any other expectations? The trade has been exactly what every non-Timberwolves fan thought it would be - a shit sandwich for Minnesota.

Pretty wild that after all that tough talk by the Nets they trade KD to where he wanted to go for basically 3 role players none of which look like they have the potential to take the next step to even stardom.   The Nets just threw away 4 yrs and the nice roster they managed to build before KD/Kyrie got there.   They got a lot of press over the yrs but that is really it.
Gotta ignore the clown.   His agenda is clear.   The league is healthy as ever.

Good lesson in why you don't let players play GM.
  • Hook 'Em 3

It's a huge disappointment in the same sense that taking a huge bite of a shit sandwich would be. Of course it's going to taste like shit, why would you have any other expectations? The trade has been exactly what every non-Timberwolves fan thought it would be - a shit sandwich for Minnesota.

we needed Rudy to set screens, grab rebounds and block/contest shots. He was never going to be a focal point on offense or anything. Exactly what every non-Timberwolves fan doesn’t understand.

Dlo started the season like absolute shit, kat hasn’t played since thanksgiving and the wolves are just 3 GB from the 3 seed.

The west is as wide open as it’ll ever be this year. Everyone knows this

48 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

He’ll be 35 this year and currently hasn’t played in a month.  Yes, KD is the far better play but there’s actually more risk to this than the Gobert trade in some ways.

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

shut the fuck up

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kermit said:

Not so fast my friend, haha. I've talked to Ishbia on a few occasions. He coaches/coached his kid's flag team in the same league my kid has been in and I have coached in. Pretty normal billionaire. The games were at Detroit Country Day, which is a pretty high end neighborhood, but I think Mat was the only coach driving a white Ferrari. It was also pretty nice that when the league couldn't use the HS field for one of the game days, Ishbia stepped in with a solution and it was announced that the games for that week were moved to another location . At least I presume it was him, I did not discuss it with him. 

Just now, longhornmatt said:

For all you people who assume no lowly surly poster could ever have contact with an NBA owner, I’ll have you know that ten years ago after the Mavs lost a tough game to OKC, I saw Mark Cuban walking out of the arena and said, “Nice game, pretty boy!”  Then he spit on me.

Back, and to the left

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

17 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

He’ll be 35 this year and currently hasn’t played in a month.  Yes, KD is the far better play but there’s actually more risk to this than the Gobert trade in some ways.

What in the absolute fuck are you two talking about. 

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

CP is old and looks washed. KD isn’t without a history of injuries himself. Ayton isn’t worth his contract, they gave up good young wings, and then dumped all their future picks. They don’t have a lot of moves going forward and that bench looks thin. Championship or bust. I’m probably betting on bust. 

I think you almost assume CP doesn't play or plays marginal minutes. So - worst case you have Chris Paul as a defacto assistant coach. 

They just need KD and Booker healthy for the playoffs. Those two are going to be a problem and two thirds for opposing teams.

Every team in the West has question marks. Yeah their bench isn't great but I don't think it's going to keep them from being a Finals contender. Whatever you get from CP and Ayton is gravy. They're also going to make everyone on that roster better and I'm guessing they find a couple vet min guys to pick up. 

58 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

we needed Rudy to set screens, grab rebounds and block/contest shots. He was never going to be a focal point on offense or anything.

Definitely seems like a role worth 30% of your cap and 4 first round picks (3 of which are unprotected). A winning recipe to be sure.

22 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I have not really followed the shit show that was Brooklyn but, I was confused by what Irving was saying about being disrespected.

They put together a roster, 4-years & $136,000,000 guaranteed to him, that was supposed to dominate. It didn't. I don't get what he was talking about.

Your first mistake is trying to.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

I have mixed feelings on the trade for Phoenix.  They traded their future and current depth for win now.  Yeah, they have 4 really good players but two of them are old(ish) and have injury problems.  If it doesn't work, they can blow it up by trading Booker and Ayton to get picks back but still.  You gotta spend money to make money, though.

Nets are blowing it up, as they should, but they're still stuck with that Simmons deal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Nets are blowing it up, as they should, but they're still stuck with that Simmons deal.

One of the great mysteries of any athlete in the history of sports is how that dude became the pussy ass bitch he is today based of one coach’s press conference. 

• Like 2

Blazers receive: 

• Matisse Thybulle

Sixers receive: 

• Jalen McDaniels

Hornets receive: 

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Future second-round picks

The Blazers reportedly sent Josh Hart to the New York Knicks in a trade that netted them Cam Reddish and a future first-round pick. This season, Thybulle is averaging 2.7 ppg and 1.3 rpg in 12.1 minutes after posting 5.7 ppg and 2.3 rpg in 25.5 mpg last season. He is a two-time All-Defensive team member, making the second team in 2020-21 and 2021-22.

McDaniels, a fourth-year center, is averaging 10.6 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 2.0 apg and 1.2 spg — all career highs — and will serve as a valuable backup for 76ers star center Joel Embiid.