NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

55 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I have mixed feelings on the trade for Phoenix.  They traded their future and current depth for win now.  Yeah, they have 4 really good players but two of them are old(ish) and have injury problems.  If it doesn't work, they can blow it up by trading Booker and Ayton to get picks back but still.  You gotta spend money to make money, though.

Nets are blowing it up, as they should, but they're still stuck with that Simmons deal.

That deal isn’t a problem. It has what- 2 years left on it after this year?  Maybe 3?  Their title contention window isn’t in the next 2 years and in the final year it will be an expiring and a quasi asset. 
plus there’s always the slight chance they get him right. 

55 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

It's happening.gif!!!

Finally EG is being traded! It would be hilarious if John Wall is part of this deal as a salary dump.

He is!    Cant imagine any way he isnt bought out but still funny.

Edited by d2o

55 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Turning the 2nd pick into 5 seconds in less than three years is not great, Bob. Of course taking Kuminga over Wagner was even worse (even at the time). A championship takes the sting off two whiffs I suppose.

They're apparently re-routing the picks to Portland to get Gary Payton Jr back. So, they turned the #2 pick into a 30 year old journeyman who they let walk in free agency last season. Granted, he was fucking great for them in the playoffs last year, but still...

Saddiq Bey is a decent player on a rookie contract. Put him on an actual team where he can get open shots created by others and he becomes a nice piece. I'm not sure what Detroit is thinking here. I guess they get to roll the dice on Wiseman, but it seems like a bad bet.

And is Houston just doing Eric Gordon a solid? What are they getting out of this beyond that? I would have given anything to see the look on John Wall's face when they told him he got traded back to Houston.

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen

15 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

They're apparently re-routing the picks to Portland to get Gary Payton Jr back. So, they turned the #2 pick into a 30 year old journeyman who they let walk in free agency last season. Granted, he was fucking great for them in the playoffs last year, but still...

Yeah, not great. I think Wiseman could be halfways decent--or at least a rotation player--in another system, but he's obviously been an awful fit for the Warriors brand of basketball, even when healthy. His basketball IQ at this point is, uh, not optimal. Not a great sign for his career when playing Javale McGee's role is asking too much. He couldn't even stay on the court long enough to improve his trade value...which is what they've desperately been trying to do all season.

Swapping out a DNP on the stat sheet to fill an obvious need and save on taxes is about the best they could do.

7 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Yeah, not great. I think Wiseman could be halfways decent--or at least a rotation player--in another system, but he's obviously been an awful fit for the Warriors brand of basketball, even when healthy. His basketball IQ at this point is, uh, not optimal. Not a great sign for his career when playing Javale McGee's role is asking too much. He couldn't even stay on the court long enough to improve his trade value...which is what they've desperately been trying to do all season.

Swapping out a DNP on the stat sheet to fill an obvious need and save on taxes is about the best they could do.

Not taking Lamelo Ball in that draft has got to be tough to swallow right about now. And then to follow it up with Kuminga and Moody... oof.  Granted the jury is still out on both of them, but the early returns aren't looking great right about now. It's so rare that a contender is able to have that kind of draft capital, but as of now it certainly looks like they pissed away the opportunity to bridge from the current version directly into a next generation contender. Those light years just ain't what they used to be. That core is getting older and that tax isn't getting any less expensive. Going to be some difficult choices made by the Warriors front office in the next few years.

Not taking Lamelo Ball in that draft has got to be tough to swallow right about now. And then to follow it up with Kuminga and Moody... oof.  Granted the jury is still out on both of them, but the early returns aren't looking great right about now. It's so rare that a contender is able to have that kind of draft capital, but as of now it certainly looks like they pissed away the opportunity to bridge from the current version directly into a next generation contender. Those light years just ain't what they used to be. That core is getting older and that tax isn't getting any less expensive. Going to be some difficult choices made by the Warriors front office in the next few years.

Something something draft picks are overrated and extremely expendable something something

29 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Passing on Wagner was insane at the time, and even crazier in retrospect. 

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

It seems like only a couple of months ago people were acting like Kuminga was some cornerstone piece.  I never really saw what the fuss was all about - oh wow, young athletic 6’8” guy who needs to improve his shot and handle, not exactly a unicorn - so I’d tend to agree that wasn’t a home run pick.  But if someone was high on him before, what has changed this year to make that a bad pick?  Were people just getting caught up in the hype of overrating every player that plays for the champion (they’re all just winners with intangibles galore!)?

The book on Kuminga was that he was just raw and needed experience and minutes. Well, they've increased his minutes and his numbers have gotten worse. It's way too soon to give up on him, but you would like to see some sort of year over year improvement -- anywhere -- from a 20 year old in year 2. Granted, I haven't watched him much so I can't comment on whether he's doing good stuff that isn't showing up in the box score, but there doesn't seem to be much encouraging from him. And you could probably say the same thing about Moses Moody -- he's probably about the same as his rookie year. You'd really like to see some development, any development out of them. But they're both still super young so who knows? 

• Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Something something draft picks are overrated and extremely expendable something something

Um, let's go ahead and not use the 4x NBA Champion Warriors fucking up a couple of draft picks to try to rationalize the front office disaster of the Rudy Gobert trade. Especially when they're built around a player that Minnesota should have taken...in the draft. Thanks.

Edited by aggie08
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, OB3 said:

L deadline for the Bulls. 2 games below .500 and they’re 1 of 2 teams to not make a single move. Either improve your roster or tank. All you’re doing is continuing mediocracy. 

I was really hoping the Nuggets would figure out a way to get Caruso from them, but it was not to be.

Um, let's go ahead and not use the 4x NBA Champion Warriors fucking up a couple of draft picks to try to rationalize the front office disaster of the Rudy Gobert trade. Especially when they're built around a player that Minnesota should have taken...in the draft. Thanks.

I will go ahead and use the 4X nba champion recent draft record. Because every team in every draft have high bust probability.

45 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I will go ahead and use the 4X nba champion recent draft record. Because every team in every draft have high bust probability.

Ah. Well in that case you should trade them all for a 30 year old 7 footer who's maybe a borderline Top 20 player.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

If LaMelo Balls dad didn't exist, or was a normal human being, do you think the warriors take him instead?

That's not a bad question. Of course LaMelo would not be a full time starter but he would part of a winning team and probably have at least one ring. But Lavar would be pissed that he wasn't a starter. Even if it meant no rings.

6 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

The players in the Gobert trade were pretty lame compared to SGA and Bridges. Lots of picks in all of them, but player talent was lacking. 

Yeah, he talked about that, too.  Said why trade your future for something unless it gets you into title contention.  Minnesota did all that for Rudy Gobert.  Talked about how the Nets did this with Boston and how badly it turned out for them.  I didn't know the NBA almost stepped in and prevented teams from doing it.  Now, multiple teams in the West (for some reason) have traded away their entire future to win right now.  OKC, Utah, New Orleans, and maybe a few other teams are going to control the draft in the next few years. 

did anyone else see that lebron ceremony/speech? man that was awkward and weird. aside from the fact that the entire speech was basically, "wow, what a great role model and leader i am!", he also said things like, "i dreamt of wearing an afro and flying in the dunk contest like kobe bryant (despite the fact that he neither wore an afro nor competed in the dunk contest at any point during his career), and, "my wife is the real mvp" (hmm, feels like i've heard that somewhere before). this was another one of those moments where, as much as i like lebron, and as much as i don't want to be a hater, he's so awkward at times with how he tries to portray himself that it's hard not to give him the side eye and wonder wtf he's thinking, lol. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

did anyone else see that lebron ceremony/speech? man that was awkward and weird. aside from the fact that the entire speech was basically, "wow, what a great role model and leader i am!", he also said things like, "i dreamt of wearing an afro and flying in the dunk contest like kobe bryant (despite the fact that he neither wore an afro nor competed in the dunk contest at any point during his career), and, "my wife is the real mvp" (hmm, feels like i've heard that somewhere before). this was another one of those moments where, as much as i like lebron, and as much as i don't want to be a hater, he's so awkward at times with how he tries to portray himself that it's hard not to give him the side eye and wonder wtf he's thinking, lol. 

It’s odd to me because on some level it feels heartfelt and genuine, yet also somehow contrived.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

are you an idiot?

27fd710b4c74c14834c3627639318416.jpg