NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

15 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Dame has 6 all NBA selections - including a first team nod and 4 second teams. He hasn't been great in the playoffs but he also hasn't been on very good teams. Portland made the playoffs 8 straight years starting with his 2nd season in the league and won 4 playoff series. Last season he played 29 games and this season Portland was 27-31 when he played, and he had whatever the fuck this was as a supporting cast:

Screenshot_20230411_142811_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8f148d0cd29e30a25d50aaa738b131e6.jpg

This year's version of Dame would have easily been the 2nd best player on the Ws last season and the Bucks the season before that. Same with the Raptors in '19. Maybe Kyrie in '16 is a push. He was probably closer to Steph in '15 than he was to Klay or Dray. '11 Mavs is no contest. '08 Celtics he's easily one of their best 2 players.

I mean we can keep going. On paper he would have been the best player on the '14 Spurs or '04 Pistons - but I'm not sure those teams still win the title if you start messing with the chemistry and defense - so feel free to evaluate as you see fit. 

Dame runs his mouth a lot and wants to have his cake and eat it, too, but he's still one of the best players of the past 10 seasons. 

Oh man- you know that Jrue is like a 1 man wrecking crew on defense right?  I'm pretty sure if you swapped Dame for Jrue there is no way they are winning the title.  I think it's almost impossible to describe how bad he is at defense b/c it's not a mix tape of him getting roasted it's more- this guy just can't be competitive at that size.  No way does the Warriors backcourt of Steph and Dame work the way that Steph and Klay work- he ain't guarding anyone. Steph competes but he aint guarding the other teams #1 option very well and to the extent he has to put forth the effort to do so it's going to make him much less special on offense.

I see you've dropped the contention that he could be anyone's number 1 on a title team, which is good- because he just can't be that guy. I conceded he could have been the #2 on the Nephew's title team- as that was an accidental title team that really wasn't very good, but he might fit in as an anomaly on a couple title teams as a #2 with a God-like Hakeem or Dirk pulling a bunch of spares across the finish line that happens apparently 1 or two times a decade (Houston, Dirk Dallas- weirdo Detroit team and the Nephew's Raptor team). Yeah- he could be second banana on all those teams no doubt. But nah- swap him with Klay or someone like that and he's getting brutalized. He's  got great stats on a horrible team. On a competitive team he tops out at playoff participant.  Which - cool- nothing wrong with that. 

I literally, if I was the Rockets or Spurs or Hornets or someone like that wouldn't trade a highly protected second round pick for him.  That contract is a killer and there is no way you could do anything other than trade him for someone else's crap if they were 1 guy away b/c they already had 2 big time guys on the team.  Like- Westbrook or Wall before their contracts expired for Dame. That's it- that's the only circumstance I'd be interested in him.  He's NEVER made a serious run at at title and never will.  

Most of those years making the playoffs he wasn't even the best player on the team- Lamarcus Aldridge was.  Of those 4 series 1 was against the Rockets when LA just absolutely wrecked Dwight Howard in the first couple games and looked like a HOF-er and 2 more were in the flukey run to the west finals where they beat a crippled Clips team and someone else pretty shitty.  Then- he rocked the baby against Westbrook. That's it- that's the only series he sort of won on his own.  And I loved him rocking the baby on Westbrook.  
But man- Dame is completely irrelevant in the NBA and always will be, to anything that matters. Good job putting up 70 on a shitty team though. I remember when Booker did that on a shitty Phoenix team that lost 50. I yawned then too. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

6 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Here are a few dumb Trae Young trades...

image.png.019850e3089b0f24a9b9a564d6d50880.png

image.png.59df995657bcc63ebe60f9a9fe89fdec.png

image.png.6c2999a100c961b3b1d339ae89f19119.png

Who wants to be in the Trae Young business?  He's a poor man's Dame Lillard I think, that's uncoachable and a malcontent.  I'd rather him than Kyrie for example, but he's got to be top 5 stay away from guys in the league, right?  Even with all that said explain to me how any of these make ATL relevant in the sense of winning a title (ever) which would be the point of moving on from Trae I'd think..

45 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Oh man- you know that Jrue is like a 1 man wrecking crew on defense right?  I'm pretty sure if you swapped Dame for Jrue there is no way they are winning the title.  I think it's almost impossible to describe how bad he is at defense b/c it's not a mix tape of him getting roasted it's more- this guy just can't be competitive at that size.  No way does the Warriors backcourt of Steph and Dame work the way that Steph and Klay work- he ain't guarding anyone. Steph competes but he aint guarding the other teams #1 option very well and to the extent he has to put forth the effort to do so it's going to make him much less special on offense.

I see you've dropped the contention that he could be anyone's number 1 on a title team, which is good- because he just can't be that guy. I conceded he could have been the #2 on the Nephew's title team- as that was an accidental title team that really wasn't very good, but he might fit in as an anomaly on a couple title teams as a #2 with a God-like Hakeem or Dirk pulling a bunch of spares across the finish line that happens apparently 1 or two times a decade (Houston, Dirk Dallas- weirdo Detroit team and the Nephew's Raptor team). Yeah- he could be second banana on all those teams no doubt. But nah- swap him with Klay or someone like that and he's getting brutalized. He's  got great stats on a horrible team. On a competitive team he tops out at playoff participant.  Which - cool- nothing wrong with that. 

I literally, if I was the Rockets or Spurs or Hornets or someone like that wouldn't trade a highly protected second round pick for him.  That contract is a killer and there is no way you could do anything other than trade him for someone else's crap if they were 1 guy away b/c they already had 2 big time guys on the team.  Like- Westbrook or Wall before their contracts expired for Dame. That's it- that's the only circumstance I'd be interested in him.  He's NEVER made a serious run at at title and never will.  

I mean, you're entitled to your opinions. Your eval on Dame isn't close enough to mine for me to continue debating the matter. Maybe the truth is in the middle. 

25 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I mean, you're entitled to your opinions. Your eval on Dame isn't close enough to mine for me to continue debating the matter. Maybe the truth is in the middle. 

Fair enough. I don't mind the discussion but nothing you said even remotely made me consider changing my mind on him, and I was open to the idea.  I think he's a big stat loser. He got his ass kicked on the USA Basketball team. He's short, he's bad at defense, he's not much of a creator and he's an empty calorie scoring guy (he might be the best possible empty calorie scoring guy going right now- I will give him that). I could be a little wrong or a lot wrong but I've never looked at Portland and thought they had any business being in conversation about best teams in the West or NBA during the Dame era. 

1 minute ago, TonyTexas said:

Dumb question amnesty. Why aren’t the play-in games  7 seed vs 10 and 8 vs 9?Instead it’s 7/8 and 9/10. 

To insure at least 1 of the teams that finish #7 or #8 at end of regular season make the playoffs.

The NBA doesn't want both #9 and #10 in playoffs for fear of terrible basketball games and poor TV ratings.

• Hook 'Em 1

Plus it forces the 9 and 10 seeds to win two games to get in. While the traditional playoff 7/8 seeds get two chances to win one. Feels a little more fair to them that one bad night doesn't end their season. Conversely, a 10 seed getting in feels more "earned."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

don't spend big bucks for an NBA regular season game because the stars will be out.  The number of games for the big names this year, averaging 59.4 games over the 82 game season, a pitiful rate of 72%.  That's why the regular season disappoints, will become increasingly worthless with every year. 

Tatum 74
Jokic 69
Klay 69
D. Mitchell 68
J. Brown 67
Embiid 66
Luka 66
Butler 64
Giannis 63
Morant 61
Kyrie 60
Harden 58