NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

89-86  T-Wolves are struggling to keep lead, with KAT out with 5 fouls.  Ant-man has been terrible and now has tape on left shoulder...

8:16 left

Minn calls timeout

Conley keeping T-Wolves in game... 95-88

20pts for Mike

Basket getting smaller down the stretch

95-90  T-Wolves up

4min left

We all have TVs. You don't have to give us a play-by-play.

The story behind Dr. Rick of the Progressive insurance ads - The Washington  Post

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

What a fantastic abortion of a basketball game last night. Neither team deserved to win that one. 

I don't think it tells us much about the Lakers going forward. They missed a ton of wide open threes. Minnesota was uncharacteristically good from three in the first half but regressed to the mean over the course of the game. LA played better defense when they needed to. More concerning was the mental lapses late - sloppy turnovers and a mind numbing stupid foul by Davis. I still think they are going to be a tough out for Memphis or anyone else for that matter. 

Minnesota otoh... It's eye opening how much better the ball moves without Gobert gumming it up. It's also shocking (not really at this point) that you can switch Dennis Schroeder or Austin Reeves on to KAT in the fourth quarter of a playoff game and he is completely neutered. Step back 20 footers aren't good shots when you have an 8 inch height advantage. And my God the stupid fouls. He's got to be one of the softest bigs I can remember. Million dollar skill set and a ten cent head. Frustrating player. 

• Hook 'Em 5

29 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

What a fantastic abortion of a basketball game last night. Neither team deserved to win that one. 

I don't think it tells us much about the Lakers going forward. They missed a ton of wide open threes. Minnesota was uncharacteristically good from three in the first half but regressed to the mean over the course of the game. LA played better defense when they needed to. More concerning was the mental lapses late - sloppy turnovers and a mind numbing stupid foul by Davis. I still think they are going to be a tough out for Memphis or anyone else for that matter. 

Minnesota otoh... It's eye opening how much better the ball moves without Gobert gumming it up. It's also shocking (not really at this point) that you can switch Dennis Schroeder or Austin Reeves on to KAT in the fourth quarter of a playoff game and he is completely neutered. Step back 20 footers aren't good shots when you have an 8 inch height advantage. And my God the stupid fouls. He's got to be one of the softest bigs I can remember. Million dollar skill set and a ten cent head. Frustrating player. 

$38,000,000 per season for Gobert, wow. I didn't realize he was getting that much. Wow.

Just have to laugh at the Wolves getting no FTs in the 2nd half until .1 left to go in the game. Hilarious officiating. Though Edwards laying a giant egg and then shitty all over himself multiple times didn't help at all. and why the fuck was the offense running through Kyle fucking Anderson in the 4Q?

Edited by HtownHorn

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

They missed a ton of wide open threes.

They were 9/19 outside of Reaves, DLo and Troy Brown (who combined for 1/12).

I'm not sure I trust those guys in a playoff series to be knockdown shooters. Ant going 3/17 seems more atypical. Granted, LA has been much better lately than they showed last night, but they haven't been playing Memphis in playoff games every night. 

The biggest concern for them obviously remains AD and LeBron staying healthy. 43 and 45 mins respectively for those two isn't a great way to start.

Like I said, I like Memphis better after last night. Not that I particularly love Memphis in this series. 

(And I agree on the Gobert part. They don't seem to be any worse without him and they may be better. Woof)

Edited by ztejas

The lakers are 17-9 since the trade deadline when they became a new team. That’s a 55 ish win pace. They are no longer the 42-40 win team their record indicates. Hell- they are 40-28 since starting 2-12. I think they are pretty equal with Memphis especially without Adams. I like Memphis in 6 or 7 but LAL in 6 shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone if it goes down that way. 

57 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

$38,000,000 per season for Gobert, wow. I didn't realize he was getting that much. Wow.

Timberwolves receive:
• Rudy Gobert

Jazz receive:
• Malik Beasley
• Patrick Beverley
• Leandro Bolmaro
• Walker Kessler (No. 22 pick in 2022 Draft)
• Jarred Vanderbilt
• 2023 first-round pick
• 2025 first-round pick
• 2026 pick swap
• 2027 first-round pick
• 2029 first-round pick

Utah then shipped Vanderbilt and Beasley for Westbrook (waived) and another 2027 first round pick. I think they traded Beverly for Horton Tucker and some other dude they waived. So basically Gobert's value to Utah was 5 first round picks, the pick swap, and Kessler, Horton Tucker, and Bolmaro.

image.thumb.png.59e8974149ca5fe5f8661ca645008149.png

So the Jazz basically replaced Gobert's production with a 21 year old rookie on a 4 year/$13.4M contract. not $13.4M per year....$13.4M total. Lulz

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Blotto said:

Timberwolves receive:
• Rudy Gobert

Jazz receive:
• Malik Beasley
• Patrick Beverley
• Leandro Bolmaro
• Walker Kessler (No. 22 pick in 2022 Draft)
• Jarred Vanderbilt
• 2023 first-round pick
• 2025 first-round pick
• 2026 pick swap
• 2027 first-round pick
• 2029 first-round pick

Utah then shipped Vanderbilt and Beasley for Westbrook (waived) and another 2027 first round pick. I think they traded Beverly for Horton Tucker and some other dude they waived. So basically Gobert's value to Utah was 5 first round picks, the pick swap, and Kessler, Horton Tucker, and Bolmaro.

image.thumb.png.b667adc844c5b4bd6c3df9c968694333.png

So the Jazz basically replaced Gobert's production with a 21 year old rookie on a 4 year/$13.4M contract. not $13.4M per year....$13.4M total. Lulz

image.png

That's crazy. The GM should be fired, if he wasn't already.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PittsburghTiger said:

That's crazy. The GM should be fired, if he wasn't already.

It gets better.....

On May 23, 2022, Connelly was hired by the Minnesota Timberwolves as the president of basketball operations.  He was reportedly signed to a 5-year, $40 million contract by the Timberwolves. On July 6, 2022 Connelly traded five picks add five players for a 30 year old Rudy Gobert.

He managed that masterpiece less than two months into the gig paying him $40M over the next 5 years. 

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Blotto said:

It gets better.....

He managed that masterpiece less than two months into the gig paying him $40M over the next 5 years. 

It’s possible new ownership did that completely on their own and thought it was a good idea, having little/nothing to do with the GM. 

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It’s possible new ownership did that completely on their own and thought it was a good idea, having little/nothing to do with the GM. 

Possibly, but its not like the T'wolves hired some up and coming wunderkind desperate for his first gig. Didnt he run the Nuggets operations for almost a decade? I find it hard to believe the guy would sign off on possibly the worst trade in NBA history and one guaranteed to hamstring the franchise for years, if he was just getting started as president of basketball operations in Minnesota. I think its more likely he just fucked this up on his own. 

“I’m a big boy. My job, certainly, success and failure is going to be very public,” Connelly told Dan Barreiro during an interview on KFXN-100.3 last week. “It doesn’t bother me, criticism. I don’t really read into anything. I don’t have any social media, thank god.”

Connelly noted that the Timberwolves gave up “a tremendous amount” to get Gobert. That rightfully puts the ensuing results under a microscope.

“There should be scrutiny. And if team success doesn’t follow, then the scrutiny should intensify, and that should fall on my head,” Connelly said. “Ultimately, it was my suggestion and we made this trade, and I’m fine with that.”

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I wasn't too surprised at Minny looking better without Gobert, but i was a bit surprised at HOW much better they looked.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

They were 9/19 outside of Reaves, DLo and Troy Brown (who combined for 1/12).

I'm not sure I trust those guys in a playoff series to be knockdown shooters. Ant going 3/17 seems more atypical. Granted, LA has been much better lately than they showed last night, but they haven't been playing Memphis in playoff games every night. 

The biggest concern for them obviously remains AD and LeBron staying healthy. 43 and 45 mins respectively for those two isn't a great way to start.

Like I said, I like Memphis better after last night. Not that I particularly love Memphis in this series. 

(And I agree on the Gobert part. They don't seem to be any worse without him and they may be better. Woof)

A lot of those looks were wide fucking open. But yeah... every year it comes down to role players knocking down shots. That they came back and won without making most of them is either a testament to their defense and mental toughness, or an indictment of the Wolves. Probably a little of column A and a little of column B.

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The lakers are 17-9 since the trade deadline when they became a new team. That’s a 55 ish win pace. They are no longer the 42-40 win team their record indicates. Hell- they are 40-28 since starting 2-12. I think they are pretty equal with Memphis especially without Adams. I like Memphis in 6 or 7 but LAL in 6 shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone if it goes down that way. 

Not only have they been winning at a high clip, but Lebron missed most of those games. I don't love their role players per se, but I think that they have enough of them to mix and match enough to play good defense and find someone on any given night that can hit a three. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

It gets better.....

Yeah... getting paid 8m a year to play GM of a team, AND having the golden parachute of the rest of the contract guaranteed if they decide to move on?  Sign me the fuck up. 

Just for fun, how many 1sts would it take to make Utah trade Kessler for Gobert right now?

Edited by Dutchrudder
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

A lot of those looks were wide fucking open. But yeah... every year it comes down to role players knocking down shots. That they came back and won without making most of them is either a testament to their defense and mental toughness, or an indictment of the Wolves. Probably a little of column A and a little of column B.

Not only have they been winning at a high clip, but Lebron missed most of those games. I don't love their role players per se, but I think that they have enough of them to mix and match enough to play good defense and find someone on any given night that can hit a three. 

Yep. 
LBJ is old and AD is made out of glass but nothing from losing in 5 to winning the west would be too terribly surprising with that crew. 

Zion says he's healthy but will come back when he's damn well good and ready.

METAIRIE, La. -- New Orleans Pelicans forward Zion Williamson said Tuesday that he is feeling fine physically and will return to the court "when I feel like Zion," acknowledging the mental hurdle of rejoining the team as it embarks on a postseason run.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/36161945/pelicans-zion-williamson-feel-fine-physically-return-feel-zion

The "Stepson"

12 hours ago, staboner said:

Kyle Anderson doesn't belong on an nba court. Nevermind his last minute layup over the backboard the other night. you don't need him handling the ball at all

over the last month anderson has averaged 11.9 pts, 6.8 reb (1.4 oreb), 7 ast, 1 blk, and 1 stl on 52% FG and 38% from deep. he's a very good nba role player who is totally underrated.

• Hook 'Em 5