NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i don't even really post on twitter, i just use it for news,  it last night when some dumbass sjw tried to praise primo for leaving SAS to take care of his mental health, i started a discussion with him, trying to explain to him that that wasn't what was happening. dude got all holier than thou on me and started talking down to me about how i have no compassion and how mental illness is real (no wai?!?), and i basically just told him, "you're going to feel really stupid when the truth comes to light." i just now went and checked, and yep:

EDDF149E-3822-425F-89CD-50341B77A805.thumb.jpeg.02b6e5b28613c27a82825aa88be6a1f0.jpeg

that was my first internet interacting with:shitting down some retard sjw, and i gotta say- i like it. 

FF793D0F-4133-4769-84C3-4D6BFF687851.thumb.jpeg.f6cd0077e0f2560088b15b904a3994a7.jpeg

this fucking guy 

Yeah I rarely get into it with people on Twitter but there were so many bizarre takes defending/praising Primo for coming out about his mental health or trauma or whatever. And I'm like, that statement makes zero fucking sense. You don't get waived for going through mental health issues. It's alarming to see how stupid people are. 

3 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Kings won today.

Lakers last winless team, no 1st rounder, and would likely have to trade their 2027 or 2029 pick to improve the team. 

Remain Calm All Is Well GIF

no it’s not.  I say blow it all up.  Trade LBJ, trade AD, get picks, and reset.  This is a failure.

This Mathurin cat can fucking ball. It's insane how ready rookies are these days for the NBA. Like 5-10 instant impact  guys from last year's draft and this one. Not just guys that are like putting up #s on bad teams but guys that are really contributing to actual winning basketball. 

8 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

He has this inability to take any responsibility for anything he says or does. I do not listen to him speak often, but when I have heard him he has never accepted any blame for his actions. That he would sit up there and say that Alex Jones and his occult stuff is all true is another indicator that we are seeing someone who should be in a psychiatric ward getting help. Instead he’ll just keep playing the victim right up until his skills as a basketball player are no longer worth the hassle for an NBA team to deal with. 

As far as the reporter goes Kyrie brought that on himself. You mess around and traffic in crazy stuff, well, you get to find out. 

Edited by UpperWestside

16 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i don't even really post on twitter, i just use it for news,  it last night when some dumbass sjw tried to praise primo for leaving SAS to take care of his mental health, i started a discussion with him, trying to explain to him that that wasn't what was happening. dude got all holier than thou on me and started talking down to me about how i have no compassion and how mental illness is real (no wai?!?), and i basically just told him, "you're going to feel really stupid when the truth comes to light." i just now went and checked, and yep:

EDDF149E-3822-425F-89CD-50341B77A805.thumb.jpeg.02b6e5b28613c27a82825aa88be6a1f0.jpeg

that was my first internet interacting with:shitting down some retard sjw, and i gotta say- i like it. 

FF793D0F-4133-4769-84C3-4D6BFF687851.thumb.jpeg.f6cd0077e0f2560088b15b904a3994a7.jpeg

this fucking guy 

LOL!  I saw that guy get on his high horse and just shook my head..... I wondered, how fast is this guy going to back peddle when the shoe drops.  Of course, he deletes his tweets like the coward he is.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I’m not sure how the reporters being a clown. He asked a legit question and Kyrie refused to answer

Because he just continues to argue with him and escalate it after asking multiple questions instead of letting the press conference move on. He's just magnifying the distraction. I mean is anyone interested in hearing Kyrie's insane ass explain anything? Like I don't know what he's fishing for. 

I'm not defending Kyrie as he's obviously bringing it upon himself just commenting that from the top down - including stuff like press conferences - the entire thing is a circus. They're discussing Kyrie's Twitter feed instead of why the team on the court is a trainwreck. 

33 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Because he just continues to argue with him and escalate it after asking multiple questions instead of letting the press conference move on. He's just magnifying the distraction. I mean is anyone interested in hearing Kyrie's insane ass explain anything? Like I don't know what he's fishing for. 

I'm not defending Kyrie as he's obviously bringing it upon himself just commenting that from the top down - including stuff like press conferences - the entire thing is a circus. They're discussing Kyrie's Twitter feed instead of why the team on the court is a trainwreck. 

He’s trying to get an answer for his completely legitimate question. He’s doing his job and Kyrie is making a spectacle by refusing to even acknowledge what’s being asked. 
Kyrie’s Twitter feed is part of the reason the team is a train wreck.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yes. This kind of shit is a blemish on our society and the NBA. You can't be a face of the franchise and be promoting awful shit on your social media. It's not a hard concept to understand. It's not like he's promoting an alternative take on a sci-fi film, this is about accusing an entire race of people of controlling the world. It's straight out of Hitler's WW2 playbook that lead to the Holocaust, so yeah it's a sensitive subject.

Kyrie is unwilling to take responsibility for what he posts. Calling attention to that antisemitic movie is promoting it, he didn't critique it negatively or anything to distance himself from the content, nor does he bother to disassociate himself from it in interviews like the one above. He's a coward who either won't stand up for what he believes, or is too fucking stupid to actually defend anything. He wants to take a giant shit in public and not be asked why the fuck he continues to do it. Nobody else in the NBA does this kind of shit, so it's pretty rare and deserves to be called out constantly.

• Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Kyrie has reached the messed around and found out part of his insanity. You DO NOT get to promote a movie that is blatantly Anti-Semitic and then suffer no consequences. Every single reporter in that room should have continued the line of questioning until he got up and left. He does not deserve to be able to get away with this or any of the other insanely crazy thoughts and conspiracies he believes in. 

He has a very public platform and he has decided that promoting hatred, anti-science, the anti-vax movement, aligning himself with Alex Jones and an overall alternate reality that only exists in the head of deranged and mentally deficient individuals is the way he wants to go. I see a whole lot of visits from Gritty in his near future. He will have earned them.

• Hook 'Em 3

I caught my first Thunder game of the season this past week.  Clippers were in town.

They look better than I thought they would considering their record, although they had played good teams to that point.  Kawhi was injured and didn't play.  (I know we're all shocked.)  Paul George and the rest of the lineup was there, though.

Thunder actually had a good young core of guards and wings.  They have 4-5 guys who would either be starters, stars, or rotation guys on playoff teams.  SGA is the oldest at only 25.  The rest are like 19 or something.  Very promising group.  Their big men are mostly borderline NBA guys and none of them would make a contender roster let along a rotation.  That's what makes the Chet injury so disappointing.  From what I understand, he can play and he would have gotten good minutes.

Barring major injuries, they'll be competitive this year.  Won't make the playoffs but may sniff the play in.  Definitely not in tank mode, though, although the season is young.

3 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Yes. This kind of shit is a blemish on our society and the NBA. You can't be a face of the franchise and be promoting awful shit on your social media. It's not a hard concept to understand. It's not like he's promoting an alternative take on a sci-fi film, this is about accusing an entire race of people of controlling the world. It's straight out of Hitler's WW2 playbook that lead to the Holocaust, so yeah it's a sensitive subject.

Kyrie is unwilling to take responsibility for what he posts. Calling attention to that antisemitic movie is promoting it, he didn't critique it negatively or anything to distance himself from the content, nor does he bother to disassociate himself from it in interviews like the one above. He's a coward who either won't stand up for what he believes, or is too fucking stupid to actually defend anything. He wants to take a giant shit in public and not be asked why the fuck he continues to do it. Nobody else in the NBA does this kind of shit, so it's pretty rare and deserves to be called out constantly.

Fair enough. Good retort. 

I guess I just do my best to ignore his dipshittery. Y'all are right that he deserves to get called out for it. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

I kind of want to see the Magic roll out a lineup with Banchero in a point forward role, Bol Bol and Franz Wagner as wings, Bamba and Wendell Carter Jr at the 4 and 5 spots just to see what a lineup of minimum 6'10" guys can do against modern small-ball, positionless teams. I'm sure it would be disastrous but I still want to see it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Caris LeVert follows up his 12-21 (6-8), 42 point performance with a smooth 0-9 (0-4), 1 point performance. a 40 point gap in scoring between games has got to be a record. 

Eh, he will move to the bench when Garland comes back. Mitchell with 38 on 20 shots and 8-13 from 3 is legit. He might have an outside shot at MVP this year. 

13 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Caris LeVert follows up his 12-21 (6-8), 42 point performance with a smooth 0-9 (0-4), 1 point performance. a 40 point gap in scoring between games has got to be a record. 

I knew I shouldn't have picked him up in our league. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Eh, he will move to the bench when Garland comes back. Mitchell with 38 on 20 shots and 8-13 from 3 is legit. He might have an outside shot at MVP this year. 

This is right.  I posted after the game on Friday that Levert is usually good for 1-2 games like that per season.  Expecting anywhere close to a duplicate is foolish.

As for Mitchell, wow.  He is what Dwyane Wade would have been if Wade could shoot 3s.  And he's been doing this while managing primary ball-handling duties with Garland still out (starting to get a little worried about DG).

Two days rest and then the Celtics in a nationally televised game on Wednesday.  

That's the guy. Good player, really good player, but probably not THAT dude. Mitchell is carrying the Cavs without their second banana. Booker's never done that consistently and has never shown that he's more than a one dimensional player while Mitchell is currently showing that he can be an excellent playmaker and distributor.

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Are we talking about the Devin Booker that's posting 29/3/5 on 52/41/90 shooting splits right now? Whose team is 4-1 with a 2 pt loss in OT? 

Am I supposed to be impressed by the 3/5?  That’s pedestrian shit for a guy who plays starter minutes.  Booker can score, but he’s a front running pussy who folds when shit gets real.

Booker has actually made the Finals. And had a 40 point triple double en route. And back to back 40 point games once he got there. 

But yes please keep telling me how Donovan Mitchell's never-won-anything ass is on a different planet. 

I think I just remembered why I don't post here. 

Edited by ztejas

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Booker has actually made the Finals. And had a 40 point triple double en route. And back to back 40 point games once he got there. 

But yes please keep telling me how Donovan Mitchell's never-won-anything ass is on a different planet. 

I think I just remembered why I don't post here. 

Dude, you gotta relax. I didn't realize Devin was your cousin or whatever. Nothing I said was crazy. Booker is a gifted one dimensional player who has been to the finals on a better team than any Donovan has ever played on. And Mitchell appears to be upping his game in the new environment, demonstrating playmaking skills that were not previously shown. The two are linked in my mind b/c of talking heads a few years back talking about the two of them being the future of the league. Booker acts like he's in that MVP tier but he's a front running scorer who doesn't provide much else. My comment was more about how Mitchell might be separating himself from Booker based on early returns this year.

FWIW I think if you swap Ayton and Gobert that last two years it's the Jazz going deep in the playoffs and not the Suns. Swap Booker and Mitchell and it's still the Suns though.

3 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

Dude, you gotta relax. I didn't realize Devin was your cousin or whatever. Nothing I said was crazy. Booker is a gifted one dimensional player who has been to the finals on a better team than any Donovan has ever played on. And Mitchell appears to be upping his game in the new environment, demonstrating playmaking skills that were not previously shown. The two are linked in my mind b/c of talking heads a few years back talking about the two of them being the future of the league. Booker acts like he's in that MVP tier but he's a front running scorer who doesn't provide much else. My comment was more about how Mitchell might be separating himself from Booker based on early returns this year.

FWIW I think if you swap Ayton and Gobert that last two years it's the Jazz going deep in the playoffs and not the Suns. Swap Booker and Mitchell and it's still the Suns though.

I'm very relaxed. I'm not mad about anything. You seem to be knee-jerkingly throwing Mitchell on a different tier than Booker because he's had a few nice games to open the season on a new team. 

They are extremely comparable players in my eye. I can't say who I'd rather take to play on the Spurs next season but I'd sure as shit have to think about it. Also not sure why you're bagging Booker when he's killing it to start the season.

Whatever, man. I don't think it's knee jerking to comment that Mitchell is having a great year so far and great in ways that weren't really expected. People are talking about him as an early candidate to sneak into the MVP discussion. Nobody, literally nobody, says that about Booker. And I'm bagging on Booker because he has the most punchable face in the league and his persona is incredibly grating. The two have been, to this point in their careers, almost statistically identical with Booker being a slightly better shooter. That shooting difference narrows when just looking at the playoffs though with Mitchell basically staying the same or slightly improving in playoffs and Booker flagging a little bit. Supporting the idea that he's a front running douche with little heart.

Edited by SilasCoade

7 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

People are talking about him as an early candidate to sneak into the MVP discussion. Nobody, literally nobody, says that about Booker.

Booker finished 4th in MVP voting last season. He put up 27/5/5 on 47/38/87 splits on a 64 win team. Mitchell has never finished on an MVP ballot. If your argument is "well Mitchell could do that too" then let's maybe say they're on equal footing. Because my argument isn't grounded in hypotheticals or 7 game sample sizes

It seems like you don't like Booker. That's fine. From a basketball perspective elevating Donovan Mitchell over him seems strange to me. 

49 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Booker finished 4th in MVP voting last season. He put up 27/5/5 on 47/38/87 splits on a 64 win team. Mitchell has never finished on an MVP ballot. If your argument is "well Mitchell could do that too" then let's maybe say they're on equal footing. Because my argument isn't grounded in hypotheticals or 7 game sample sizes

It seems like you don't like Booker. That's fine. From a basketball perspective elevating Donovan Mitchell over him seems strange to me. 

What part of this season Mitchell seems to have opened a gap between himself and Booker seems strange? You are kind of being needlessly antagonistic and as per usual attempting to gatekeep the topic of the NBA as if you're some qualified expert instead of an Internet douche who would get run out of the gym. I think I'm remembering why I quit posting here from time to time.

26 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

What part of this season Mitchell seems to have opened a gap between himself and Booker seems strange? You are kind of being needlessly antagonistic and as per usual attempting to gatekeep the topic of the NBA as if you're some qualified expert instead of an Internet douche who would get run out of the gym. I think I'm remembering why I quit posting here from time to time.

No I'm not being needlessly antagonistic you're posting stupid shit saying Donovan Mitchell is the player Devin Booker wishes he was. And your argument is a fuckin 7 game sample size to start the regular season. 

I'm 6'3" 185 and in my late 20s and I shoot every weekend, btw, so give me your address and I'll come bust your stupid ass. 

• Haha 1