NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

18 hours ago, aggie08 said:

For what it's worth, my Warrior's take wasn't pure sunshine pumping. My question about having the best home record and worst road record was rhetorical. I already know the answer: yes, it is an NBA record for largest disparity between the two. Meaning their road record is an anomaly that will level out.

Their bench is young and generally sucks, but plays better at home. The bench doesn't matter as much in the playoffs. Statistically, their starting 5 is still the best per 100 possessions in the league. They've absolutely crushed teams with Steph/Klay/Wiggins/Dray/Looney on the floor, before their non-Steph lineups come in and hemorrhage points. 

The added stress on their aging starters will most likely reach a breaking point. But, if not, the West is a bunch of mediocre teams, so who the fuck knows. What team in the West would you feel 100% confident picking to beat them? You think they give a shit if they're the 7 seed?

Shoot me now but I agree.  Until someone knocks them off the Warriors are the champions and the balance of power league-wide has shifted substantially eastward.  I would put Milwaukee, Boston, and Brooklyn over every team in the West.  All those other Western contenders outside the bay area - Memphis, Denver, Clippers, Phoenix...trust/respect is earned, not given.  

And it cannot be emphasized enough that it is still pretty early in the season and things can change on a dime.  Just a month ago, Rockets fans were thinking they would have not 1 but 2 lottery picks and now that pick is going to be in the mid 20s.

Most importantly, that franchise has been there/done that over the past 8 years.  The veterans on the team don't care if they finish 1st, 4th, or 8th as long as they get in and I'm sure sometime around February or March Golden State will start trying again if there is any doubt that they will miss the playoffs.  I remember about 5-6 years ago Lebron (as the Cavs were sleepwalking through the regular season) was asked about playoff seeding and what seed he would like the team to be once the playoffs start.  He simply said "top 8."  He simply didn't care about regular season wins/losses as long as he got into the playoffs (perhaps in part because he knew the East was pretty bad all decade long).  And I'm pretty sure GS shares this nonchalant attitude towards playoff seeeding and regular season games, especially December regular season games.

So while GS is certainly more vulnerable than in seasons past, I trust them more than any other team in the West.

Edited by Message Board User
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, Message Board User said:

😬

Important reminder that Gobert is 30 years old and Minnesota castrated their future if he's now just a jag.

Fighting for the play-in was not in the plans.

Uh, I was told that draft picks don’t matter because the wolves will be picking in the late twenties and they suck at the draft anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just think though, the Mavs could have had Trae instead of Luka...
I keep seeing that Dallas has the biggest odds to land Trae in a trade? For one, what would Dallas trade to get him. And the biggest, how would that even work with Luka here? They are pretty much the same player. Dallas doesn't need someone like Trae to get better.
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
3 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

I keep seeing that Dallas has the biggest odds to land Trae in a trade? For one, what would Dallas trade to get him. And the biggest, how would that even work with Luka here? They are pretty much the same player. Dallas doesn't need someone like Trae to get better.

The Mavs have a ton of salary to trade, but it's all overpaid and too long of contracts to make it valuable.  But Trae isn't a good fit with Luka IMO, he isn't a good defender and needs the ball too much. Funny enough, I think Dejonte Murray would be an excellent fit for the Mavs, but given his young age and cheap contract the Hawks probably won't move him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

killian hayes bout to be in some trouble. 

That's a dangerous cheap shot rabbit punch. If I was the commissioner I'd end his season for it. 

At minimum 40 games suspension. That could kill someone. Reason it's outlawed in both boxing and MMA

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
12 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Trae could fit easily with Luka on the offensive side, but honestly so could a guy with one leg and no thumbs. They need a consistent 3 and D guy and a shot creator who is also a plus defender. 

Trae could fit easily with Luka on the offensive side, but honestly so could a guy with one leg and no thumbs. They need a consistent 3 and D guy and a shot creator who is also a plus defender. 

This is where I’d be at too. Offensively they’ll work it out. Trae can play off ball and both would take turns running the offense…split their time enough and both get good tests and not much usage.

Problem is youd need 2.5 all defensive players beside them. Luka ain’t as bad as the narrative on defense but Trae is.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Hermanator said:

That's a dangerous cheap shot rabbit punch. If I was the commissioner I'd end his season for it. 

At minimum 40 games suspension. That could kill someone. Reason it's outlawed in both boxing and MMA

I don't think he'll get that kind of suspension, but yeah, that's a bitchass move.

9 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lebron has the sadd9c13a8275a676228b57bd9757427af9.jpg

God damn, cry me a river. You went to LA for a lot of empire-building, non basketball reasons. There's nothing wrong with that--and, judging by half the movies I watch these days beginning with a 'BRON' title card, I'd say it's worked--but at least be honest about it. Then you bet the farm on a dude who has never been able to stay healthy and squandered any remaining assets on Russell fucking Westbrook, against the wishes of the front office, because you like the "LeBron can make anybody a winner" narrative.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 12/27/2022 at 10:20 PM, aggie08 said:

Between Jokic, Luka, and Giannis, it may be a minute before an American-born player wins an MVP.

Throw Embiid in there too.

It’s not super likely but KD is having a really really good year. If he keeps it up at this rate you could see a narrative build that he’s a top 10 all timer and 1 MVP isn’t enough, and many though Brooklyn would fall apart blah blah blah. 
steph could always have that last transcendent season next year or the year after. 
but yeah- neither of those are super high probability MVP set ups so it could be a while. If Wemby stays healthy he will be an MVP type guy in 5 years right when those other guys are aging out. 
Tatum is probably the best bet for next for Team America MVP. 

48 minutes ago, George said:

Did he knock him out? Sure looked like Wagner was sleeping on the bench. 

When he gets shoved from behind(cowardly), i think he bumps heads with that Pistons player that was standing up by the bench, knocking him out on his feet. Then Hayes does an elbow to the back of his head(even more cowardly) and that certainly doesn't help him in his endeavor to regain consciousness.

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Ja is a potential future MVP.

I’m conflicted about this. He’s a singular athletic talent, the likes of which are rarely seen. He also has a limited shelf life. He’s on that Derrick Rose trajectory. Hopefully he can cash in before the inevitable decline hits. I worry every time he jumps.

• Like 1

imo, the list of the top 5 american-born players who haven't won an mvp and are most likely to would be:

1 - jayson tatum

2 - zion williamson

3 - ja morant

4 - anthony edwards

5 - donovan mitchell

i don't even feel that strongly about mitchell, but could see him getting it a little bit more than i could see a guy like trae young getting it.  i think the time has come and gone for guys like dame, jimmy butler, kawhi, etc. and it's still too early for sure to know on the guys who were drafted in the past two drafts.

Random thoughts:

After the surprising start Utah is now realizing the worst case scenario for them. Not close to bad enough to tank but fringe play-in contender. Basically following the Spurs model of the first couple post-Kawhi years.

Speaking of Kawhi, not sure he'll ever be himself again. Still an impact player but not a dominant force. Good.

I hadn't realized Brandon Ingram has missed an entire month and is still not scheduled for a return. WTF did he do to that toe? Crazy to think the Pelicans are 12-5 without him as he seemed to be on the verge of making a transition to that dude status early in the season.

The Nets are a top 10 defensive team?!?

Lots of great seasons by individuals right now, but the work Luka is doing is next level.  When you talk about most valuable player to their team, no one is close. You could argue that Lebron is keeping the Lakers from being hysterically bad, but they're still terrible with him. Luka is keeping the Mavs in playoff contention essentially by himself.

If Ja gets the 3Pt % up to the 35-40% range the league is in trouble. The Rose comps are apt, but injury risk and decline in athleticism is going to be true for literally every player. His Asgardian level athleticism is what makes him elite, but his skill and game management will keep him in the top tier even as the athleticism wanes (which barring injury is still at least 3-4 years from reality anyway). I really think guys these days come up with such better conditioning and mindset on managing their bodies that track records from previous decades do not necessarily apply anymore. It's why I think historical Wemby comps aren't entirely relevant, FWIW.

76ers are a top 2 defensive team but 16 offensive team. Did not see that coming. James Harden still plays for them, right?

The Knicks are a top 10 net rating team but 15-16 by record. I expect both rankings to drop over the rest of the season and will be surprised to see them in the playoffs.

Pelicans, Grizzlies, Cavs, Celtics in the top 8. It's a new era.

Most objectively disappointing season to date is a toss up between Chicago and Atlanta. Most subjectively disappointing for their fans must be T-wolves who had the most unrealistic expectations judging solely by this board.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Jokic and Luka are those dudes. Don't care if they have a ring or not. NBA fans are mostly stupid. 

I don’t buy that for Luka, which sucks for me as a Mavs fan because that roster ain’t it, and they have very little flexibility to drastically improve. Bad vibes of LeBron’s first stint in Cleveland.