NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

55 minutes ago, Kermit said:

But I was told that Anthony Davis is better than Tim Duncan?

First of all, I think Anthony Davis is a primadonna bitch.  It’s hard to compare though.  One played for one of the two best organizations in sports over the last 20 years, and I say that as a Mavs fan. The other played for New Orleans and then the Lakers with Lebron playing GM.  Give Anthony Davis to Pop as a rookie, who the fuck knows how that works out.  When the various people who like to rank players rank them, Duncan will be several echelons above Davis, and rightfully so.

Is that because of circumstance?  A little bit.  I’m a Cowboys fan, and the value of Aikman, Emmitt, Irvin, and that OL was greater than the sum of the individual parts.  Spurs had a similar thing going.  I would like to have seen Anthony Davis play for a coach that could bring out the best in him from day one, but that didn’t happen.  Maybe he’s bitch, maybe Pop gets through to him and allows the talent to flourish.  We’ll never know.  Such is life as a pro athlete.  He seems to be in check cashing mode now, and he’ll do quite well at that.

Ben Simmons signed a 5 year / $177,243,360 contract with the Philadelphia 76ers, including $177,243,360 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $35,448,672. In 2022-23, Simmons will earn a base salary of $35,448,672, while carrying a cap hit of $35,448,672 and a dead cap value of $35,448,672.

image.thumb.png.20e997158356367b13acd84591a0cc94.png

In a league full of head scratching contracts, this guy's deal might be the most "WTF are those idiots thinking" of them all. I've never watched a game he played in (college or pro) and thought "this guy is a fucking badass." Fucking LOL at paying a guy $35 mil per season, and he gets 3 shots off in the season opener. Over the course of a full season, that works out to about $140K+ per shot attempt. Durant is so fucked having to deal with this clown and the headcase that is Kyrie. 

Edited by Blotto

21 minutes ago, Blotto said:

image.thumb.png.20e997158356367b13acd84591a0cc94.png

In a league full of head scratching contracts, this guy's deal might be the most "WTF are those idiots thinking" of them all. I've never watched a game he played in (college or pro) and thought "this guy is a fucking badass." Fucking LOL at paying a guy $35 mil per season, and he gets 3 shots off in the season opener. Over the course of a full season, that works out to about $140K+ per shot attempt. Durant is so fucked having to deal with this clown and the headcase that is Kyrie. 

Shooting above 66% for the season though.  Stellar!  Obviously, he needs to shoot more.

16 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Solid debut for Rudy

23 points on 15 shots, 16 rebounds

Countless times OKC saw him manning the paint and passed out

I'm jacked to see how excited you get after the Wolves start off 7-0 against OKC 2x, Utah, SAS 3x, and the Lakers. It's going to be a Rudy Gobert I-told-you-so love fest.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'm jacked to see how excited you get after the Wolves start off 7-0 against OKC 2x, Utah, SAS 3x, and the Lakers. It's going to be a Rudy Gobert I-told-you-so love fest.

It’ll probably be like that all season until Rudy gets played off the floor in a crushing second round defeat.

9 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Fuck the Thunder. They've been tanking since KD left. Presti is maybe the most overrated GM i've seen. Can't seem to find a good coach and just stashes picks every year while everyone lauds him as some genius. Other than picking KD, i don't know what he's done.

And while i'm skewing negative, lulz at the reports of Kawhi coming off the bench to load manage coming off his injury. Fucking right on brand. I hope the universe rights itself and my Spurs get Wembanyama.

Edited by Pam Cummings

4 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Fuck the Thunder. They've been tanking since KD left. Presti is maybe the most overrated GM i've seen. Can't seem to find a good coach and just stashes picks every year while everyone lauds him as some genius. Other than picking KD, i don't know what he's done.

And while i'm skewing negative, lulz at the reports of Kawhi coming off the bench to load manage coming off his injury. Fucking right on brand. I hope the universe rights itself and my Spurs get Wembanyama.

Maybe you missed his comments where he said “the rehab process is ‘very different’ this time than in San Antonio before Toronto trade because of ‘having the team behind my back… they want what’s best for me”. I mean, dare I say it? Okay, one more time…fuck Kawhi Leonard.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/19/2022 at 4:10 PM, aggie08 said:

I wonder what percentage of Lakers' fans would sign up for the Lebron/AD experience knowing what they know now. One bubble championship (their first title in 10 years) for...

Two missed playoffs, one first round exit, currently stuck with arguably the worst player 3-14 rosters in the league, cap space hell, AD will never be "that guy", and Space Jam 2.

Space jam 2 was absolutely terrible. 

9 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I always wonder if they will actually benefit from these picks. All they do is stash picks for the future and suck in the present. Every year. 

NBA should flatten the lottery odds even more. When you have 7 or 8 teams purposefully tanking before the season even starts then something is broken. Sure waive the white flag come the midway point if the team is terrible but trying to be as bad as possible before the season starts is good for the game? Come on.

NBA GMs with the most job security are almost the blow it up and tank for 6 or 7 years guys. Can't point at showing zero improvement on the floor. Trust the process! We need more lottery balls.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Lakers GM getting an extension was laughable. Thinking Russell Westbrick was the answer is a fireable offense. Now they are stuck with no great options.

By most accounts, the Lakers' brass didn't want Russ (and his contract). That one was purely LeBron.

Wolves blow 17 point lead at home to the undefeated Jazz and lose in ot. Gobert with lots of rebounds but he can’t finish at the rim. Chokes 2 fts that would have tied it in ot. Teams are going to rain down threes on Minnesota. I don’t think you can play those two bigs on the perimeter in today’s nba. Jazz were 20/50 from three. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Wolves blow 17 point lead at home to the undefeated Jazz and lose in ot. Gobert with lots of rebounds but he can’t finish at the rim. Chokes 2 fts that would have tied it in ot. Teams are going to rain down threes on Minnesota. I don’t think you can play those two bigs on the perimeter in today’s nba. Jazz were 20/50 from three. 

Gobert looked good against Okie City but in all fairness, their big men are complete trash and borderline NBA guys.

Kelly O and Jordan clarkson going 12-18 from deep was absolutely ridiculous.

Even clarksons misses were in and out.

Kats pre season illness, whatever the hell it is, is really rearing it’s ugly head. He scored 27 but on 25 shots

Ah well, onto the next. Utahs good. Don’t know how many games they’ll drain 20 3s on 40%.

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Kelly O and Jordan clarkson going 12-18 from deep was absolutely ridiculous.

Even clarksons misses were in and out.

Kats pre season illness, whatever the hell it is, is really rearing it’s ugly head. He scored 27 but on 25 shots

Ah well, onto the next. Utahs good. Don’t know how many games they’ll drain 20 3s on 40%.

"Utah's good"

Holy shit man you should start a comedy routine. 

"Utah's good"
Holy shit man you should start a comedy routine. 

They’re not gonna raise any banners. They beat Denver’s ass who’s currently beating golden states ass.

They have zero shot at maintaining any of this. But they’re still a team filled with disrespected professional basketball players. Some can shoot and catch fire. Dangerous combo
  • Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

They’re not gonna raise any banners. They beat Denver’s ass who’s currently beating golden states ass.

They have zero shot at maintaining any of this. But they’re still a team filled with disrespected professional basketball players. Some can shoot and catch fire. Dangerous combo

They do have some gunners on that team. I’ll give you that. But they are racing to the bottom. Their tank commanders just aren’t as proficient as others.

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen

5 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Kyle Anderson went out right away with back spasms so that kinda fucked things up with bench minutes/rotations

Why are you so vociferously defending a random result through 2 games of the regular season?

I think y'all could be good you just need a little time to gel. You should be telling all of us to go fuck ourselves. 

But - still - don't tell me Utah is worth a shit.