NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

17 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

NBA should flatten the lottery odds even more. When you have 7 or 8 teams purposefully tanking before the season even starts then something is broken. Sure waive the white flag come the midway point if the team is terrible but trying to be as bad as possible before the season starts is good for the game? Come on.

NBA GMs with the most job security are almost the blow it up and tank for 6 or 7 years guys. Can't point at showing zero improvement on the floor. Trust the process! We need more lottery balls.

This would be great, IF the NBA had a salary cap instead of a luxury tax. 

Between multiple teams actively trying to lose games and the Warriors payroll at half a billion, the whole system a joke and the product reflects that. 

On 10/21/2022 at 2:38 PM, Loch Ness Monster said:

NBA should flatten the lottery odds even more. When you have 7 or 8 teams purposefully tanking before the season even starts then something is broken. Sure waive the white flag come the midway point if the team is terrible but trying to be as bad as possible before the season starts is good for the game? Come on.

NBA GMs with the most job security are almost the blow it up and tank for 6 or 7 years guys. Can't point at showing zero improvement on the floor. Trust the process! We need more lottery balls.

The other poster’s suggestion of a hard salary cap might help, but in this era of needing super teams to win, the only way to gather multiple all stars is to suck bad for a few years, get lucky and hit on a late lottery/first round pick, and/or overspend on a free agent. Some markets will never be able to recruit superstar free agents. The best bet to build a championship team is to tank for two, three, or four consecutive top 4 picks and hope you have some lottery ball luck and the picks aren’t busts. 

On 10/21/2022 at 2:38 PM, Loch Ness Monster said:

What if the team with the worst record gets locked into the #5 or #6 pick and doesn’t participate in the lottery? Wouldn’t all the worst teams be forced to win some and avoid coming in last place?

Just now, Murfdogg21 said:

What if the team with the worst record gets locked into the #5 or #6 pick and doesn’t participate in the lottery? Wouldn’t all the worst teams be forced to win some and avoid coming in last place?

I like the wheel system. Too lazy to provide a link right now.

Giannis is just unbelievable. IMO he and Jokic are and have been the clear two best players in the league for years now, and if there's a slight nod to Jokic as the best overall it's because of his superior shooting. but my god gianni's is just dominant. just flat out unstoppably dominant.

Eh I’d probably take Giannis but fine with either

5 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

The other poster’s suggestion of a hard salary cap might help, but in this era of needing super teams to win, the only way to gather multiple all stars is to suck bad for a few years, get lucky and hit on a late lottery/first round pick, and/or overspend on a free agent. Some markets will never be able to recruit superstar free agents. The best bet to build a championship team is to tank for two, three, or four consecutive top 4 picks and hope you have some lottery ball luck and the picks aren’t busts. 

Yes, that is the only way for small and medium markets to realistically compete for a title.  Super teams aren't going to SAC or OKC, sorry.  They're not.  If you don't like them tanking, blame the system that is set up.

11 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Eh I’d probably take Giannis but fine with either

I'm going with Jokic b/c he could realistically play his game for another 10-12 years. Giannis is just so physically superior to everyone else on the planet he can dominate, but that is more likely to fade over 5-6 years.

To be fair, there was 32 seconds left in the game when Westbrook shot that, so he was trying to do a 2 for 1. It was still a bad idea for him to shoot the ball in that situation, and he should review the team protocol which states that, "It's always a bad idea for Russell Westbrook to shoot the ball."

To be fair, there was 32 seconds left in the game when Westbrook shot that, so he was trying to do a 2 for 1. It was still a bad idea for him to shoot the ball in that situation, and he should review the team protocol which states that, "It's always a bad idea for Russell Westbrook to shoot the ball."

are 2 for 1s really a thing in the 4th qtr of close games? Hypothetically if Russell makes it(lol), losing teams will want to “extend the game” as much as possible in those situations, right? So hypothetically Portland’s down 3, they’re not taking it to 0:00. I guess there are times when a team just flat out is taking the last shot even if they’re losing by 1. But most times teams are gonna shoot quick just in case they miss and can foul right away to get another chance.

Russ is flat out giving Portland more chance to extend the game instead of bleeding ~15 more seconds. He had no idea what he was doing

Brow and lebron, their only bigs, were 35 ft away from the rim and still walking up the court lmao. They were in disbelief he’d unload so early considering they’re up 1

10 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Just saw Ingram and Zion had to leave the game with injuries so that might’ve had something to do with it

NOLA didn't actually come back (I think they were down 17) in the game until after they went out. Zion took a nasty spill on a breakaway dunk where Jordan Clarkson made a great (and clean) block. The Pels bench was really good. I still like that team a bunch.

Utah is 3-0 with wins vs. Denver, @Minn, and @NOLA. They may have too many solid players to tank effectively. For all the salary they had to take back to make those two trades work, it would have been tough not to get some decent pieces in return. Markkanan, Clarkson, Conley, Sexton, Olynyk, Beasley, and Vanderbilt are all at they very least, quality level rotation guys on playoff teams. And they've all been around the league awhile.

6 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Utah is 3-0 with wins vs. Denver, @Minn, and @NOLA. They may have too many solid players to tank effectively. For all the salary they had to take back to make those two trades work, it would have been tough not to get some decent pieces in return. Markkanan, Clarkson, Conley, Sexton, Olynyk, Beasley, and Vanderbilt are all at they very least, quality level rotation guys on playoff teams. And they've all been around the league awhile.

They have one of the more interesting rosters in the league. I'm not buying them long-term but it's feasible they could win 38-40 games. 

"I feel like this is an interview of trying to set me up to say something," James said. "I can tell that you guys are in the whole Russell Westbrook category right now. I don't like to lose. I hate to lose at anything. I don't care what happens throughout the course of my season or throughout the course of my career, I hate to lose. And especially the way we had this game. But give credit to Portland.

"You guys can write about Russ and all the things you want to try to talk about Russ, but I'm not up here to do that. I won't do it. I've said it over and over. That is not my [M.O.]. That's not who I am."

However, when answering a question later in his news conference about how he seeks to manipulate opposing defenses, James' response was telling.

"I always have time and score and what's going on and how the defense has been playing me throughout the course of the game, it's always in my head," James said. "I'm not out there just running around, that's for sure."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34866352/3-point-shooting-sinks-lakers-again-russell-westbrook-benched-late

This season is going to be fun to watch.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

lebron's reaction. 

I was as against getting Westbrook as I could possibly be because I saw no way he would change how he plays. He has only further regressed as a player and he is flat out unplayable and it is best to just pay him to stay at home. He is just going to get booed at home all year and heckled mercilessly. 

Westbrook seems by all accounts to be an upstanding guy, but he is done as a basketball player. I also do not feel bad for LeBron because HE CHOSE THIS GUY over players who could actually help the team win games. 

grant williams just got ejected because the referees are fucking retards. in the span of less than a minute he had two consecutive terrible fouls called on him, and when he got up off the floor after his second foul he incidentally brushed against the sleeve of the referee who tossed him as if he had bumped into her(?). so stupid.

• Like 1