NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

On 5/14/2023 at 11:27 AM, CurlyDumps said:

God damn, Ja is insecure about his private school upbringing.

edit: also, mega lol @ that ESPN PR puff piece. Man, that was really sincere and stuff.

Seeing people who grew up in the actual ghetto and make it out - more times than not, they don't flaunt that lifestyle and are happy to be out.  The suburb morons and pvt school wanna be gangsters are all like Ja.  I didn't know he was pvt school but I do know he's from a fairly mundane South Carolina upbringing with his old man as a wanna be gangster...so this shit makes a lot of sense from the outside looking in.  

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

There's no doubt that Ja is a dummy but it's wild as fuck that in the same country where politicos routinely cosplay as Rambo for their holiday pics Ja's instances of performing the same act of feigning toughness by way of a firearm is going to cost him a cool $60 million.

Good. Fuck him. Separately, fuck Christmas cards with guns in them, all the way back to 15 years ago when my boss showed me the first one I’d ever seen - one that he got. Those people are fucking attention whore losers. 

34 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Hoooo boy can Kwame be the official Mess Around and Find Out Liaison for NBA players? He cut straight through to the heart of the matter. Morant does not have a single person in his orbit that will talk to him like that because he doesn’t have even one actual friend and that includes his clownfraud parents.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

If he was at the gun range or in the woods this probably isn't an issue(location, location, location). But the NBA is about image and I guess that's not the image they want. 

I'm sure there are a few guys in the league who shoot/hunt. It would be interesting to see what would happen if they posted range pics.

Probably little issue aside from the mass shooting backdrop and lack of awareness. While the similarities @Catdaddyhorn points out are there, there is a fundamental difference. The politicians and people on the right posing with guns makes them look like small-dicked losers. Morant is engaging in illegal behavior. 

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
17 hours ago, Slacks said:
Doc Rivers doesn't take, make, or miss shots. 
And he doesn't usually have the more talented team. 

He's blown three 3-1 leads. That's bad. Coach is supposed to put his team in the best position to win. He doesn't. Quite a few 3-2 blown leads too, just like this year.

So... you're saying he can get an underdog team to 3 wins, but can't outcoach a lack of talent when it comes time to win. 

43 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Let's not forget the whole shining a laser at the opposing team's players incident that got conveniently swept under the rug. I'm now at 70% sure that the laser was attached to a gun. This dude pointed a gun at opposing players.

And assaulted a teenager and purportedly pulled a gun on him. Yeah I’m done equating his actions with some jackwagon TN politician. 

8 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Not a widely spoken opinion but that seems accurate.  I didn't know his dad traveled to every road game until I saw him get tossed against OKC and his dad was there.  Then he tried to fight Shannon Sharpe or something.

Contrarian opinion here but if there was some white player with pics of him and hunting rifles, would the outrage be the same?

It’s not the guns it’s the situations with the guns:

Flashing one in a crowded strip club

Flashing one in a car going down the road

If Ja was posing with a deer rifle next to a buck he shot zero shits given. 

If white player pulled deer rifle out in strip club shit would go off rails. 

Not sure what your false equivalency point was. 

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

It’s not the guns it’s the situations with the guns:

Flashing one in a crowded strip club

Flashing one in a car going down the road

If Ja was posing with a deer rifle next to a buck he shot zero shits given. 

If white player pulled deer rifle out in strip club shit would go off rails. 

Not sure what your false equivalency point was. 

Fair points.  I was just being contrarian.

However, one has to wonder why the NRA hasn't jumped to his defense.

1 hour ago, Kermit said:

Uh, I have a theory…

The NRA doesn't want to associate with someone who was investigated for having a gun in a nightclub? The NRA doesn't want to be associated with someone accused of threatening a kid with a gun? They get enough bad publicity as it is. 😁

• Hook 'Em 1

Just for informational purposes (wasn’t sure why he was on thin ice so to speak):

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/ja-morant-could-face-significant-suspension-to-start-2023-24-nba-season-over-latest-controversy-per-report/

“This is the latest in what's been a string of questionable incidents involving Morant. Just two months ago he was suspended for eight games by the league for posting a video of him holding a gun at Colorado night club. Prior to that, an investigative article by The Washington Post discovered that he was involved in two incidents dating back to last summer in which he was accused of threatening the head of security at a Memphis mall, and punching a 17-year-old boy during a pickup basketball game at his home.

After the string of incidents and upon his return from the suspension, Morant took responsibility for his actions. "Obviously, I've made mistakes in the past that cause a lot of negative attention -- not only to me, but my family as well, my team, the organization -- and I'm completely sorry for that," Morant said. "So my job now is, like I said, to be more responsible, more smarter, and don't cause any of that no more."

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Fair points.  I was just being contrarian.

However, one has to wonder why the NRA hasn't jumped to his defense.

Can't remember anyone ever saying jack shit regarding Malone and his affinity for guns.  He wasn't even that beloved outside his own fanbase. One has to wonder how a black guy made it through.  Or maybe race has nothing to do with it.

karl-malone-hunting.jpg5bb92bab2400005100990e7a.jpeg?ops=scalef1*cRMrPbS19fe_01xQHXxfHw.jpeg

who's the last mvp that gave voters such instant buyer's remorse? i mean the voting wasn't even close, embiid was an overwhelming winner, and now, what, two weeks after he's given the trophy he's blown a playoff series lead while playing totally uninspired in the crucial game 7. russ's mvp was hilariously fraudulent, but i don't remember anyone being like, "oh shit we got it wrong!" in the immediate aftermath the way it's happening right now with embiid. 

3 hours ago, slorch said:

Can't remember anyone ever saying jack shit regarding Malone and his affinity for guns.  He wasn't even that beloved outside his own fanbase. One has to wonder how a black guy made it through.  Or maybe race has nothing to do with it.

karl-malone-hunting.jpg5bb92bab2400005100990e7a.jpeg?ops=scalef1*cRMrPbS19fe_01xQHXxfHw.jpeg

If you had told me Karl Malone likes to shoot guns I would’ve believed it, but I can tell you I never remember even seeing these pictures from the ad. He is one of the most despised players in NBA history, is also a horrible human being, but he at least does this correctly. 

29 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

who's the last mvp that gave voters such instant buyer's remorse? i mean the voting wasn't even close, embiid was an overwhelming winner, and now, what, two weeks after he's given the trophy he's blown a playoff series lead while playing totally uninspired in the crucial game 7. russ's mvp was hilariously fraudulent, but i don't remember anyone being like, "oh shit we got it wrong!" in the immediate aftermath the way it's happening right now with embiid. 

Dirk prolly.

26 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

Was trying to think of the last coach of an MVP that was fired after the season.

Saunders got fired halfway through 04-05 after KG won the award the year prior. Brooks got fired a year after KD's MVP in 14. 

17 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Didn’t they give him the award shortly after losing to the Warriors? I seem to remember that was a really awkward press conference.

Yes, they were the #1 seed and lost in the first round.  He was one of the first MVPs I remember ever seeing not get the trophy before a game.

12 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

After the string of incidents and upon his return from the suspension, Morant took responsibility for his actions. "Obviously, I've made mistakes in the past that cause a lot of negative attention -- not only to me, but my family as well, my team, the organization -- and I'm completely sorry for that," Morant said. "So my job now is, like I said, to be more responsible, more smarter, and don't cause any of that no more."

I laugh every time I read that quote. 

image.jpeg.99155dc91cf4d138cc41ecde13d4c34d.jpeg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

I knew that Joel would win for all of the reasons mentioned in the preseason (voter fatigue, boring narratives, the precedent of having someone win 3 in a row that hasn't been to a Finals...despite proving every single year that he's a fucking playoff monster), but I was disappointed that it wasn't closer. Old school guys like Mark Jackson were always going to vote Embiid ("A true 7 footer scoring 33 a game in [near] the paint!"), but I thought the newer school guys would give more weight to Jokic's historically efficient and prolific season. I don't dig too deep into VORP and win shares and offensive rating, but I do know that 64% shooting on a fucking 1 seed is pretty, pretty good. He almost finished 3rd for fuck's sake.

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Brothahorn said:
5 hours ago, d2o said:

Might as well get the whole band back together. Mike D to Philly

It was always the goal IMO when they hired Morey.   Get Harden and MD and basically have Rockets east with Embiid.   They have PJ and House from HOU too.

7 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I knew that Joel would win for all of the reasons mentioned in the preseason (voter fatigue, boring narratives, the precedent of having someone win 3 in a row that hasn't been to a Finals...despite proving every single year that he's a fucking playoff monster), but I was disappointed that it wasn't closer. Old school guys like Mark Jackson were always going to vote Embiid ("A true 7 footer scoring 33 a game in [near] the paint!"), but I thought the newer school guys would give more weight to Jokic's historically efficient and prolific season. I don't dig too deep into VORP and win shares and offensive rating, but I do know that 64% shooting on a fucking 1 seed is pretty, pretty good. He almost finished 3rd for fuck's sake.

Sadly his reluctance to play in the paint is a big reason he’s headed home. 7ft iso ball from the 3pt line is trash. 

• Rage+1 1