NBA 2022-2023 Season Thread

Mitch Cumsteen

The Nets just had the most hapless 2-3 minutes of professional basketball not starring Russell Westbrook in years. ESPN has him at 8 for 19 but KD has missed like 4 or 5 straight that are usually automatic midrange buckets for him. If he can't be superman this Nets team is sunk.

Jesus, Ben Simmons is not a good basketball player right now. He's fucking awful on both ends. Total lack of confidence on offense. As soon as he touches the ball he's looking for a way to get rid of it. Fucking Javale McGee looks more comfortable bringing the ball up the floor than Simmons. His shot is atrocious. Watching him shoot free throws is all the proof one needs to confirm that he don't give a shit about his craft. He gives his man a 3 foot cushion consistently on defense, letting them get downhill or establish position in the paint before he makes any effort. Just all out trash.

He’s a loser. Oh well. Only have to pay him for 3 more season

This Lakers team is so hilariously embarrassing it's almost much watch TV. I mean I enjoyed watching their trainwreck last season but I never really knew if they were about to flip a switch and win a bunch of games in a row. This season it's just like watching a special needs kid try and play prime Charles Barkley 1 on 1 after someone told Chuck the kid slept with his mom. The Spurs could never win another game and as long as I got this I'd be entertained. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

LA could be staring at 0-7.

The Lakers playing so shitty makes Laker fans think it’s genius to tank for Wembanyama. But they look so unbelievably bad, it doesn’t seem like some well thought out master plan to tank. It looks like a team with no chemistry who just doesn’t know what the fuck they are doing. 

14 minutes ago, MrBig said:

The Lakers playing so shitty makes Laker fans think it’s genius to tank for Wembanyama. But they look so unbelievably bad, it doesn’t seem like some well thought out master plan to tank. It looks like a team with no chemistry who just doesn’t know what the fuck they are doing. 

Dude I'm about to blow your mind. 

So it begins.  4 games in:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34887425/lebron-vows-more-aggressive-amid-first-0-4-start-rookie-year

On the bright side, Anthony Davis (22 points, 14 rebounds) played through discomfort in his lower back and said he'll "be fine" going forward. The Lakers could use that.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

5 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

How is AD only 29. He looks so old jogging up and down the court.

"The Lakers are shooting 33-for-148 on 3s this season. That 22.3% 3-pt FG pct is the worst over any 4-game span by any team within a season in NBA history (min. 125 3-pt FGA)."

They had already set the record for worst 3 game stretch to open a season. 

26 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

How is AD only 29. He looks so old jogging up and down the court.

"The Lakers are shooting 33-for-148 on 3s this season. That 22.3% 3-pt FG pct is the worst over any 4-game span by any team within a season in NBA history (min. 125 3-pt FGA)."

It gets so fucking old watching that dude grimace and limp up and down the court after every slight bit of contact.

Edited by Pam Cummings

23 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

What if the Lakes really blow it up?

AD to Bulls for Vuc, Patrick Williams and Caruso.

Russ to Hornets for Heyward, Rozier and the 2 picks

Bron
Caruso
Rozier
Heyward
Williams
Vuc
PatBev
Walker
Nunn

Maybe Curruso is part of a 3 team to bring another wing or PF.

That's an insane package for a dude that can't stay on the court. I wouldn't trade Caruso for AD straight up. 

1 hour ago, Fastbreak said:

Why in the hell would anyone take on Westbrook and his contract for any player(s), let alone give up picks to LA in the process? This is like the Lakers fan fiction shit all off-season where people claimed they could acquire Kyrie or another all-star for Russ straight up. LOL OK

The only scenario I can imagine is if another team regretted giving a max contract with multiple years left, and traded the player for Russ just to clear the books by next year. Also seems like exactly what GM LeBron would do (further mortgage the future for some unlikely to pan out addition now)

Edited by Murfdogg21
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Why in the hell would anyone take on Westbrook and his contract for any player(s), let alone give up picks to LA in the process? This is like the Lakers fan fiction shit all off-season where people claimed they could acquire Kyrie or another all-star for Russ straight up. LOL OK

The only scenario I can imagine is if another team regretted giving a max contract with multiple years left, and traded the player for Russ just to clear the books by next year. Also seems like exactly what GM LeBron would do (further mortgage the future for some unlikely to pan out addition now)

I think he meant two Laker firsts. That would make more sense, but still probably not enough to move the needle for Charlotte. They were reportedly trying to move Hayward for salary cap purposes but the calculus might have changed for them when they didn't have to re-up for Miles Bridges after his domestic assault stuff. Even with the picks, that's still a bad trade for Charlotte. It kills any chance of playoff success and they still wouldn't be bad enough to compete at the bottom with the Wemby sweepstakes. 

6 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

What if the Lakes really blow it up?

AD to Bulls for Vuc, Patrick Williams and Caruso.

Bron
Caruso
Rozier
Heyward
Williams
Vuc
PatBev
Walker
Nunn

Maybe Curruso is part of a 3 team to bring another wing or PF.

I’m in favor of a complete tear down, including LBJ.  Get whatever picks and young assets back you can.   

basketball has got to be a burden for this guy. like his real passion is surfing, or archery, or call of duty, and he's just playing ball because they'll pay him a lot of money to do so. i'm sure one day he'll release an autobiography detailing how hard it was to be born 6'10", 250 lbs with speed and athleticism, and then paid millions and millions of dollars to play a game that you aren't even really that into. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

ben simmons just airballed a lay-in. give and go with KD, and he gets the ball back, goes up, lofts the ball, and it just comes down and goes out of bounds. this shit continues to blow my mind. like even if he *never* practiced he shouldn't be this bad. 

It really is baffling. Would class body, YMCA heart.

On 10/21/2022 at 10:31 PM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

They’re not gonna raise any banners. They beat Denver’s ass who’s currently beating golden states ass.

They have zero shot at maintaining any of this. But they’re still a team filled with disrespected professional basketball players. Some can shoot and catch fire. Dangerous combo

Yeah I looked at their box score playing the Rockets and saw a team that could win 30 or so games. Maybe 35 if they were trying to

win 35. Ainge will actively have to work to make them worse throughout the year.