RIP Coolio

Gil Bang

Just now, Deej said:

So you're saying he was a gentle lover?

Ha, no.

It was pretty amusing situation though. Me and a friend were walking down to this beach bar by the Palm Jumeirah (the big man made island shaped like a palm tree) and as we go in the door guy is like are you here for the show? To which we reply no just hitting the bar. The bar overlooks the beach, and I guess you had to have tickets to go down there and whatnot. After about 10 minutes I'm like that guy on stage looks like Coolio, and I get about halfway through that sentence when Gangtas Paradise kicks and we look at each other and go oh shit that is Coolio. This is in like 2010 when Coolio was have a bit of a lull in his career in the States, but apparently drunk Brits on holiday were all about it.

6 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Whoa.  That’s pretty young and unexpected ( to me at least).  RIP. Gangster paradise and what not. 

I'd say that's better than average for rappers from that era. Those dudes went fucking hard (plus the ones that got shot and killed).

Just saw this has a billion plays on Spotify - that's pretty wild. 

Also - did you mean to post this in music?

4 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I mean I loved Coolio but I assume all periods that weren't the mid 90s were lulls in his career.

i think I remember some frat at UT had him perform at a party in the mid 00s

They did. I remember someone telling me part of his rider was Popeyes chicken and weed.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I'd say that's better than average for rappers from that era. Those dudes went fucking hard (plus the ones that got shot and killed).

Just saw this has a billion plays on Spotify - that's pretty wild. 

Also - did you mean to post this in music?

I think there's also a thing here for... all men in general but especially African American men to look after their hearts once they start getting past 40. It looks like this may have been cardiac arrest. I guess I never found out what happened to either Sean Price or MF Doom but I had assumed heart stuff was in the mix for both of them as well.

6 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I do remember "Amish Paradise", but I have no recollection that Coolio didn't take kindly to getting the Weird Al treatment. This is great though - 

That's great to see, considering there was a bit of a thing over Amish Paradise.

Tribute.

Edited by Rimbo

7 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I do remember "Amish Paradise", but I have no recollection that Coolio didn't take kindly to getting the Weird Al treatment. This is great though - 

I remember the Wierd Al beef like it was yesterday. I still crack up thinking about it.