Barney - I Love You, You Hate Me documentary

MonkeyDoughnut

I have to admit I'm intrigued.  Had no idea the level of real hate people had towards a purple dinosaur.

“Barney & Friends,” it seems, was not always a happy family behind the scenes.

According to a new docuseries, “I Love You, You Hate Me,” the beloved children’s show, which launched the acting careers of Demi Lovato and Selena Gomez, was the the target of a lot of hate.

The trailer for the two-part series shows Bob West, a Barney performer, recalling death threats he received as the purple dinosaur.

“They were violent and explicit, death and dismemberment of my family,” he says. “They were gonna come and find me, and they were going to kill me.”

The show was created in 1992 by Sheryl Leach, Kathy Parker and Dennis DeShazer.

“Barney stands for inclusion, acceptance. You should love everyone, we all have Sheryl Leach to thank for that,” says a line in the trailer, which asks “Why does the world love to hate?”

“I Love You, You Hate Me” is set to premiere Oct. 12 on Peacock.

• Hook 'Em 2

^

This.  Obviously I didn't have kids back then.  But I think it really became the first show for that age demographic that forced the marketing issue.  Before that it was toys sold to older kids through movies (Star Wars) and TV shows (G.I. Joe).  Like how I feel about Paw Patrol.  Never thought anything of them until my oldest got obsessed around Age 3 and now I want to send them all to North Korea to be eaten.  

But lots of older parents I know fucking hated Barney for what it did to their kids' insatiable appetite for merch and live shows tours.  Only thing that would piss them off more is if I told them Barney was being replaced by a black dinosaur, instead of a purple one.  Then suddenly, they''d all get brand-loyal again.

Having age appropriate kids at the time (and also happened to live in city where Barney was filmed) the reason for the backlash I think was mainly because it was the first show or entertainment for kids that the kids REALLY loved and parents couldn't understand why they loved it so much.

It's todays equivalent of a kid screaming to use their phone or tablet and parent trying to take it away. Like complete eyes glaze over adoration.

The hate is basically - the kids on the show are too happy and goody goody as if it was supposed to be realistic.  It's like having a show on cute puppies playing together outside and then complaining they don't show them shitting on carpet and eating your favorite shoes.

It became a mom group lightning rod like food is where you would hear someone say "ohh, I don't let my kid watch Barney" like you were a terrible parent because you did (all while your kid drinking whole milk to boot)

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Having age appropriate kids at the time (and also happened to live in city where Barney was filmed) the reason for the backlash I think was mainly because it was the first show or entertainment for kids that the kids REALLY loved and parents couldn't understand why they loved it so much.

it was probably also the songs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

It's todays equivalent of a kid screaming to use their phone or tablet and parent trying to take it away. Like complete eyes glaze over adoration.

The hate is basically - the kids on the show are too happy and goody goody as if it was supposed to be realistic.  It's like having a show on cute puppies playing together outside and then complaining they don't show them shitting on carpet and eating your favorite shoes.

It became a mom group lightning rod like food is where you would hear someone say "ohh, I don't let my kid watch Barney" like you were a terrible parent because you did (all while your kid drinking whole milk to boot)

100% agreed. The problem was that the show offered nothing for the parents who had to suffer through the shows. It's like Blippi and shit like that.

On the other hand, you have Sesame Street, absolutely fucking beloved even today. Sesame Street always, always threw in entertainment just for the parents. Their goal wasn't merely to have the parents accept what their kids were seeing, but to get the parents watching with them.

Check out this bit of utter brilliance:

There are so many jokes in here that are just for the parents. The kids, of course, love the visceral shit. Cookie is always a crowd pleaser.

But then the parody of Twilight is legitimately brilliant. Like the way "Belly" always only ever says: "I love you Shortbreadward." In robotic monotone. Regardless of context. Just like the dull-ass self-insert character from the movies and books.

This is just one memorable example, but the whole show was built from the ground up to be like this.

Bluey? Same thing; you relate to her parents. Berenstain Bears books? They're basically instruction manuals for parents, disguised as kids' books. Peppa Pig? Completely savage satire of adult life and society.

That's where Barney, and so many other shitty kids' shows, failed. You can't just talk to the kids at their level; you have to also function at that adult level.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Sort of a precursor to the creepyass Teletubbies. The communists won.

1 hour ago, freyguy said:

I kept my kids from all that shit and raised them on looney tunes, old sesame street and muppet show videos.  Fuck that dinosaur

Damn straight.  We've got HBOMax, and not too long ago, I watched some Johnny Quest with my oldest (8 at the time) and he was shocked that Johnny Quest was running around with a fucking machine gun.

Happy World Cup GIF by FIFA

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

This right here. Barney videos were like a built in babysitter and kids were glued to the TV. My niece was a diehard fan of the Barney series in the late 80s before he came to PBS in the early 90s. Once it came to PBS it exploded even further.

My niece hated the PBS version of the show and would only watch the old 80s tapes. Once they wore out it got really fucking expensive to replace them because they were rare and considered to be out of print. They need to make a doc about all the mothers who sucked dick to pay for Barney VHS videos in the early 90s.

7 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

it was probably also the songs.

This.

It was Baby Shark X's eleventy billion bad.

The show was fine.  It was the gotdam music that would get in your head.

8 hours ago, freyguy said:

I kept my kids from all that shit and raised them on looney tunes, old sesame street and muppet show videos.  Fuck that dinosaur

Similar here. I bought Looney Tunes, Scooby Doo, and Super Friends DVD’s for my daughter when she started watching TV. She loved them and watched them nonstop. But some piece of shit kid at her day care must have told her about Barney. 

• Rage+1 2

My kid watched one Bugs Bunny cartoon and asked why anyone would watch that because the bunny has horrible behavior and was unlikeable. Never watched another second of it again.
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Seems a bit self-centered to have the attitude “ the little kids program doesn’t have anything for me in it!” from the adults.

Blippi was fine. Bluey is great. Yo Gabba Gabba was good as well.

Just roll with it as long as it is appropriate.

3 hours ago, Nivek said:

Seems a bit self-centered to have the attitude “ the little kids program doesn’t have anything for me in it!” from the adults.

Nonsense. The experience is better for the kids if the parent is enjoying themselves too, and wants to watch with them. 

I mean, if you just want TV to be a babysitter, that's one thing; you do you. But if it's something you do together and you're focused on something with educational value, that's another thing entirely.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Like 1

My oldest son used Barney as a gateway. Then he got on the hard stuff..Power Rangers.

My dad was walking by one time when my oldest had Barney on and he saw babby bop and thought she was a tomato worm. 

Tomato worm=big green worm found eating tomato plants.

One of the funniest things he ever said.

I was in 1st-2nd grade when Barney came out, and I fucking loathed it because we’d still have to go to a babysitter’s during the day in the summer, and said baby sitter watched some 3-4 year old kids who fucking loved it.

I was kind of a curmudgeon from Day 1 when it came to pop culture, but I immediately hated the songs and felt it was aggressively aimed at “little” kids. You know, because Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was so adult.