Former Dallas Cowboy Gavin Escobar dies in rock climbing accident

Gil Bang

I can accept my own mortality, and I may over-convey that message to my young son.

But while I love humanity, I have little time to mourn extreme adventurers. Some of their tales and accomplishments will last much long than all of us, but hyper dangerous activities inevitably will take souls.

On the flip side, that which does not kill, only brings you closer to death.

• Hook 'Em 2

I did some research on this accident and details are sketchy.  It sounds like a storm came in and they were trying to retreat and the rock they were trying to use as an anchor failed.  It is rare when rockclimbing that both die except when rockfall happens or an anchor fails.

Really tragic, RIP

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Helobious said:

From an NFL player to a firefighter. Damn. And I don’t mean that as a slight at all, that’s noble.

Career earnings of about $4mm. Call it about $2 after taxes, agent's cut, etc. Nice coin for sure but hardly "sit-around-and-do-nothing" money when you're out of the league at 28.

RIP

For all the drop jokes the real knock on Gavin as a player is that he was maybe one of the shittiest blockers I have seen at TE.  Like he ended up being so shitty that you couldn't play him unless the call was a pass or a run completely opposite of anywhere he was at....which sort of gives the defense a good idea of what's coming when he checked into the game. 

From Mountainproject.com

"Full report has not been released, but from a couple witness statements we can piece together a likely scenario. They were 3-5 pitches up the wall when a very heavy thunderstorm broke out. People described the rock as "turning into a waterfall". They were found with a rappel set up attached to the rope but no anchor attached. Witnesses say they saw a large block fall with them. My guess is they wrapped the rope around a large block directly to rappel down (no rap anchors as the routes top out) and the block pulled, either from the weight of rappelling or because the rain fall triggered rock fall. This one hits home for me because it wasn't inexperience or poor judgement that caused the accident. The decision to bail off a seemingly secure large block in an active thunderstorm is a decision any one of us could have made. Mountains are dangerous places. Sometimes you can do everything right and still take the big fall."

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/123142420/fatal-accident-at-tahquitz-today?page=4#ForumMessage-123150534

• Hook 'Em 1