How to find a nice property/areas to look into

A friend of mine is looking for a piece of land in Texas. He has scoured Zillow, not sure about any others but I’m sure the basic (really basic) google searches have been done. Does anyone know of any other good places to search for houses/properties with some land? Obviously trying to avoid a realtor but might have to. Thought I’d try surly first, maybe someone knows someone selling right now. Here’s some things he is looking for:

in Texas
5+ acres
1 acre pond or larger
Home: 3 or more bedrooms, 2 baths, more space better
Newerish home
Barn
Corral 
Out buildings
Agra approved 
Will go to 1M$ if necessary 
Location has one son in Dallas, one daughter in Houston somewhere in 

Edited by RockyMountainHighHorn

18 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

A friend of mine is looking for a piece of land in Texas. He has scoured Zillow, not sure about any others but I’m sure the basic (really basic) google searches have been done. Does anyone know of any other good places to search for houses/properties with some land? Obviously trying to avoid a realtor but might have to. Thought I’d try surly first, maybe someone knows someone selling right now. Here’s some things he is looking for:

in Texas
5+ acres
1 acre pond or larger
Newerish home
Barn
Corral 
Out buildings
Agra approved 

I'm assuming that agra approved means ag exemption?  If so, you really aren't going to find one that small.  It was common for it to require at least 10 acres but with property shortfalls, appraisal districts are trying to get rid of "gentlemen farms" and the required acreage is trending up.  The other issue is that they won't guarantee that an ag exemption will carryover from seller to buyer without reviewing things.

Just now, Catpfish said:

I'm assuming that agra approved means ag exemption?  If so, you really aren't going to find one that small.  It was common for it to require at least 10 acres but with property tax shortfalls, appraisal districts are trying to get rid of "gentlemen farms" and the required acreage is trending up.  The other issue is that they won't guarantee that an ag exemption will carryover from seller to buyer without reviewing things.

1 hour ago, Catpfish said:

Sorry for repeated posting, but when you say corral, are you talking about keeping horses?  Very seldomly will horses be allowed as an ag exemption qualifying animal.  They are considered a hobby.

I appreciate it. I’ll have to get an answer on that and let you know. Not 100% sure, I know he doesn’t currently have livestock/horses

Edited by RockyMountainHighHorn

9 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

in Texas
5+ acres
1 acre pond or larger
Newerish home
Barn
Corral 
Out buildings
Agra approved 

Landsoftexas.com 

Get him a county map and it’s all easily searchable   

Edited by fattyflattie

• 1 month later...

I used landsoftexas as well.  Put an automated search and would get emails that fit my parameters about once a week.  Took me two years and two offers but finally found something.

I only wanted something near 71 or near Round Top but finding 1 acre ponds is tough unless your land is much larger than 5 acres.  But $1 million can get you some good stuff.  I'm sure off 45 between Houston and Dallas will give you more than off 71 where I was looking so maybe that is best approach.